Sack the Coach (revisited)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sack the Coach (revisited)

st.byron wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 11:33pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 11:20pm We have a chance to bring someone in as Senior Assistant on big money if we re-jig the assistants contacts and roles.

This senior assistant should be told that they will become Senior Coach in 2020 and Richo will become Coaching Director.

For 2019 and 2020 they should work together to rebuild the game plan based on the current list and changing laws.

I would be appointing Brett Ratten as that senior assistant. Chopped at Carlton too early. Been brilliant at Hawthorn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Rat ... ing_career
Why on earth do you want to keep Richardson? What do you see in him? Appears to me, and from what I’ve been told, to lack leadership. He’s had five years and we are going backwards. Keep him as Coaching Director??????.?.?
Because I think what we see publicly is just the public face ... behind closed doors, I think he provides much more.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 11:43pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 11:20pm We have a chance to bring someone in as Senior Assistant on big money if we re-jig the assistants contacts and roles.

This senior assistant should be told that they will become Senior Coach in 2020 and Richo will become Coaching Director.

For 2019 and 2020 they should work together to rebuild the game plan based on the current list and changing laws.

I would be appointing Brett Ratten as that senior assistant. Chopped at Carlton too early. Been brilliant at Hawthorn.

Why on earth do you want to keep Richardson? What do you see in him? Appears to me, and from what I’ve been told, to lack leadership. He’s had five years and we are going backwards. Keep him as Coaching Director??????.?.?
Because I think what we see publicly is just the public face ... behind closed doors, I think he provides much more.
I just see results...

“Yeah….nah””
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 12:23am

I just see results...
And you would be disappointed with the 2018 result.

No doubt game plan was wrong and injuries were cruel.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 12:43am
Teflon wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 12:23am

I just see results...
And you would be disappointed with the 2018 result.

No doubt game plan was wrong and injuries were cruel.
To be fair...
I was in the “there’s a cliff coming” well ahead of Riewoldt and co retirements so even previous results didn’t blow me away we still then looked vulnerable against better sides who are the yardstick
I’m not sure there is some sort of magic happening behind closed doors...
I fear the emperor has no clothes...

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sorry but Richo is a bog average suburban hack.

Yes his personality is stable. Yes he is a good person.

I like the guy.

But AFL coach?

Laughable. He had a great run.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Do you have some contacts or knowledge that goes beyond the public realm? Good mate of mine did considerable work for a couple of years in 2015 and 2016 with the playing group and Richardson and the reports are not favourable. What he told me pretty much matches what we’re seeing on the field. Bottom line is the players don’t trust him because he avoids difficult choices and conversations and has a carefully constructed sincerity persona devoid of the authenticity that blokes can trust. When he does make a difficult choice he avoids communicating about it. We saw this only a couple of weeks ago with Armo being dropped and DWoodrow reporting the lack of communication around that. So looks like that hasn’t changed. Every single player would know that....consequence is they don’t trust him.

He’s doing his best but he doesn’t meet the players from an authentic place that resonates as trustworthy. Meets them from his persona rather than his guts. That info is to me reflected in our on field performances. They’re not playing from their guts coz they don’t trust Richardson. Not at the core level. They’re not playing like they have a leader they would go into battle for.
His sincerity persona is also reflected in his robotic press conferences and videos of his interaction with the playing group.
Trying hard but is ultimately unconvincing because he’s not coming from a deep authentic place within.
Also, significant scepticism amongst the players about his tactical nous.

Take it or leave it but that’s the info I received.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

The great difficult is that once these perceptions arise - through the media or 'cos their mates tell 'em they're better than the rest of team of whatever - the players (unconsciously) have an "out". When the going gets tough, there's always going to be some little part of them that says, "It's the coach's fault," when what we need that little part to be saying is, "I can do something about this!"

BenLong#21
Club Player

If you take a step back it is pretty clear what is going on here.

The Board and Finnis made a huge mistake re-signing Richo and they know it.
They are now in crisis management mode to save their own skins and reputations.

So to distance themselves from the poor decision making they create an alternative narrative. The alternative narrative is 'blame the recruiters'.
Enter the attack dog Lethlean - a mercenary for HR who will do whatever he is told to stay in the fold.

And then they go an publicly fire Elshaugh etc.

All to give weigh to this alternative narrative.

Al they are doing is buying time to distance themselves from their awful decision to extend Richo.

12 more months and Richo will be gone anyway.

As soon as Finnis and the Board have distanced themselves from the extend decision - they will have Lethlean turn on Richo.

Bank on it.

BenLong#21
Club Player

If you take a step back it is pretty clear what is going on here.

The Board and Finnis made a huge mistake re-signing Richo and they know it.
They are now in crisis management mode to save their own skins and reputations.

To distance themselves from the poor decision making they create an alternative narrative. The alternative narrative is 'blame the recruiters'.
Enter the attack dog Lethlean - a mercenary for HR who will do whatever he is told to stay in the fold.

And then they go an publicly fire Elshaugh etc.

All to give weigh to this alternative narrative.

Al they are doing is buying time to distance themselves from their awful decision to extend Richo.

12 more months and Richo will be gone anyway.

As soon as Finnis and the Board have distanced themselves from the extend decision - they will have Lethlean turn on Richo.

Bank on it.

Interesting to see how readily and enthusiastically some posters are ready to buy in to this alternative narrative.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

This was my plan 51 weeks ago ...

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

BackFromUSA wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 12:20am

Your plan could have worked well, but maybe the club was tired of Richo and preferred to keep Sexton for whatever reason.
Richo was D of C at the Power before we headhunted him

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
HighettMan
Club Player

I'm starting to think Brett Ratten becoming head coach was part of SLs succession plan all along.

I'm warming to the idea because on the face of it, it is smart business and very much how successful commercial organisations are managed. Clearly BR has a CV that gets him the job.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Even know Richo is not remaining at StK FC I think you were spot on with the DoC call. That’s Richo’s niche going forward. I’ve been extremely critical of him as a head coach but get him in a room or around a BBQ & he’ll bring people together. The players & staff love him, player retention was elite under his watch & people want to work for & with him. Overseeing other more tactical minded coaches as the DoC suits him IMO. I think he’ll slot into that role at another club seamlessly.

Rats was the obvious redundancy for the club. Richo lost his job 18 months ago during a Good Friday match. It’s quite obvious the club has been planning for life after Richo for some time now & only had the contractual noose tied around their neck stopping an earlier exit. Whether Rats is the long term solution is yet to be determined however he’s definitely the front runner & it’s his until/if a big fish is caught. So unless Lyon, Clarko or Bevo put their hand up then Rats is our head coach IMO.

For what it’s worth I’d prefer to go untried, as Dermie said the other day, the next Clarko is out there he just hasn’t been identified yet. Take the risk. Longmuir, Caracella or Teague for mine.

St Loxton
Club Player

Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 8:10am

Even know Richo is not remaining at StK FC I think you were spot on with the DoC call. That’s Richo’s niche going forward. I’ve been extremely critical of him as a head coach but get him in a room or around a BBQ & he’ll bring people together. The players & staff love him, player retention was elite under his watch & people want to work for & with him. Overseeing other more tactical minded coaches as the DoC suits him IMO. I think he’ll slot into that role at another club seamlessly.

Rats was the obvious redundancy for the club. Richo lost his job 18 months ago during a Good Friday match. It’s quite obvious the club has been planning for life after Richo for some time now & only had the contractual noose tied around their neck stopping an earlier exit. Whether Rats is the long term solution is yet to be determined however he’s definitely the front runner & it’s his until/if a big fish is caught. So unless Lyon, Clarko or Bevo put their hand up then Rats is our head coach IMO.

For what it’s worth I’d prefer to go untried, as Dermie said the other day, the next Clarko is out there he just hasn’t been identified yet. Take the risk. Longmuir, Caracella or Teague for mine.
Nathan Bassett

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did he have a great run at it Con?

He came to a bottom 4 club with an ageing list. That struggle to rebuild in compromised drafts

He had 4 great saints retire in his time Reiwoldt, Montagna, Dempster, Fisher.

He had an average list caused by poor draft selections and list management.

He has has long term injuries to many key players over the last two years.

No surprise he did ok whilst Roo and Joey were in the team and he got a reasonable injury run. When they retired and we got a few injuries to key players, it was no surprise to me that we were poor.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

"Sack the coach" is the running and perpetiual refrain at St Kilda - It's like 1/3rd expressed in decimals, which as we all know is 0.33333333... with the 3 repeated/recurring ad infinitum.

It's a never ending story - always the coach's fault.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Oh yeah, like no other club has sacked coaches over the past 30 years. Seriously, we've had, in the past 18 years three coaches who've had at least 5 years at the helm. One of them walked. You don't think Carlton or Richmond or Melbourne sack coaches?

samoht
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 7:03pm Oh yeah, like no other club has sacked coaches over the past 30 years. Seriously, we've had, in the past 18 years three coaches who've had at least 5 years at the helm. One of them walked. You don't think Carlton or Richmond or Melbourne sack coaches?
Sure - but we do take the cake, let's face it.
Collingwood have had 18 coaches since 1904 - only 18 - while we've had 45 (since 1906).

That's 2.5 times as many.
For every 2 of their coaches, we have had 5.

Why can't we be more like them?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 10:17am
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 7:03pm Oh yeah, like no other club has sacked coaches over the past 30 years. Seriously, we've had, in the past 18 years three coaches who've had at least 5 years at the helm. One of them walked. You don't think Carlton or Richmond or Melbourne sack coaches?
Collingwood have had 18 coaches since 1904 - only 18 - while we've had 45 (since 1906).

Be like the filth? GAWD NO.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Can we also do the maths on Premierships? Coaching changes in ratio to Premierships may actually show our tolerance level to be higher. Go figure.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

_No John Wren to pay people under the table!
_No Jock McHale to bump up the average years per coach?

samoht
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 11:57am

_No John Wren to pay people under the table!
_No Jock McHale to bump up the average years per coach?
Sheldon (and others)... could have been our JocK Hale.
Sheldon was a young coach and turned things around for us (if we're going to attribute w/l and success to the coach). He could have and should have had a long, long career with us.
But once things don't go our way, for whatever reason - we lose patience and out the door they go. The knee jerks (or the tail wags) and the coach is invariably booted out.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. Imagine what Sheldon could have done in 6 seasons

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 7:32pm Agreed. Imagine what Sheldon could have done in 6 seasons
Or Blight.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 7:54pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 7:32pm Agreed. Imagine what Sheldon could have done in 6 seasons
Or Blight.
Oh I think Blight is a completely different conversation.

GT, Alves, Sheldon, Lyon, even Watters one can wonder how things could have been different had they stayed on.

Blight however is one decision that is/was categorically 100% correct