anyone who says it is not poor coaching needs to explain why

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

portosaint
Club Player

Re: anyone who says it is not poor coaching needs to explain why

f*** me.

There is talent there.

Development is the main issue. Its putrid and has been for years. I would love to see a guy like Blake Acres play football at a decent club, with a decent regime, and a solid development culture.

If things keep going how they are, I may very well get that opportunity.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Where we're at has a lot to do with poor recruiting, over many years:
1. Failure (bordering on refusal) to recruit skillful, running, outside midfielders to complement our overwhelmingly inside midfield and to balance things up.
2. Recruiting the same types over and over - multiple half-back flankers, multiple (and average) ruckmen, multiple inside midfielders - if 2 wrongs don't make a right, why not 3 or 4 wrongs (that seemed to be the mantra of our recruiters)?
3. Recruiting players with poor skill levels or who wilt under pressure.
Also let's not forget ---
4. Injuries to some of our better performing players - such as Acres, Carlisle, Roberton falling ill, Webster, Long (who was developing nicely) etc..
However, I do blame the coach for not giving our youngsters a go until we were hit with injuries (i.e., until his hand was forced) ... I mean, who was performing better that was keeping them out?

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I’m starting to believe that our game plan is too ridgid and possibly too complicated.

The natural flair of most of our list has been coached out of them.

And I think that the kpi’s that the coaches focus on (I’m not privvy to what they are) from an outsiders perspective don’t help the cause.

Focusing on the wrong kpi’s for selection can be a real issue.

It would explain some of the bazaar selections and would possibly explain some of the poor, selfish/safe decision making.

I think some of these guys don’t want to do the sefless act and to take team oriented risks for fear of being dropped...

I’m starting to think that the game plan and the kpi’s are conflicting with what is needed to play good footy.

If this is the case we’re dead in the water. Time for Kingsley and Richo to concede and move on.

CarlD
Club Player

If Kingsley is driving match day from the box he is not doing his CV much good if he wants to win a senior coaching position down the track.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 11:41am
congorozides wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 2:03am If the Board doesnt sack Richo - Channel 7 will.

Saints are horrendous for ratings and advertising. Viewers change channel at 1/4 time.

Pressure will be mounting.
Has it occurred to Channel 7 that nobody's watching because:

Most people prefer watching on Foxtel or Online because 7's coverage is so deplorably pitiful. Not to mention the fact that you get commercials as well. Why would anyone watch it on 7. Who on earth watches free to air TV anymore? It is such utter garbage.

Free to air television is a rapidly dying dinosaur, irrelevent or soon will be, low brow s***. Who gives a toss what they think.
That's true and I agree .
But I think the TV execs still have a bit of power. Waning as it is.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

It all starts from the top. Coaches unnecessarily given extension on contracts, memberships sold through promoting unrealistic expectations , younger players not getting opportunities and therefore not getting developed properly, and inability or unwillingness to attract elite performers from other clubs to improve team performance and cushion and protect younger players. Three key important retirements in the off season.
We are also struggling with injuries; no Bruce, no Roberton, no Stevens, no McCartin and probably no Long (arguably one of our most promising players we have unveiled this year) for most of the season. Any team would struggle with that many long-term injuries. Add Acres, Webster and Brown to that list from last night's team. Tell me one team that could suck up that many injuries and actually win games and I'd tell you you're dreaming.
It's not our ruckmen's fault that the mids are not getting protection, it is our lack of elite run, and the fact that we are at the moment bereft of outside run. A lot of our regulars have been given a good go, and I would like to see the following players in next week - Acres, Webster, Freeman, Coffield, Goddard and White.

A lot of changes I know, but they all need a good block of games before the season is over, and there are only 5 games left - 4 at Etihad, and 3 are winnable. If we only win one of these we'll get a top 5 pick - it needs to be used well.
We need to take Gaff or Shiels or Hurn, or another elite user of the ball by hand or foot and we also need to grab one of the McGovens to assist Carlisle. Assistant coaches need to be manged out if they are not performing, or have not been able to help the players improve.

If we don't do these things, 2019 won't be any different to 2018.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
older saint
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 11:10am We have two quality players - Jade Gresham and Jake Carlisle. It's the worst Saints list ever. We are not within 10 years of being a top team or even a finalist for that matter. Our current coaching panel has answered the age old question : Can coaches improve the skills of duds? The answer is NO.
The list is bad but i would suggest having a look at some of the names running around in in early 80's that was a bad list

saintbob
SS Life Member

saintbob wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 1:58am I’ve just watched Richo’s press conference and I know I’ve said it before but he really is INSIPID, seriously the players must yawn every time this c*** speaks.

Put some f****** passion in it Richo, or just f*** OFF!!!

<warning for abuse of a Saints official>
Warning accepted, but I standby what I wrote!!!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The assistants and game plan will change next year. We executed whatever we did against Melbourne brilliantly and need to replicate that again. In a nutshell - we moved the ball quick, ran hard, kicked more and got plenty of goals as a result.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

A premiership contender with the nostrils flaring and snorting with September in sight versus a youthful and developing aspirant. There's your explanation.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 6:18pm A premiership contender with the nostrils flaring and snorting with September in sight versus a youthful and developing aspirant. There's your explanation.
We aren't as youthful as you might think.
There is also no guarantees being young now means we will be automatically good in two years.

Ask Carlton.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think Longmire needs a new challenge.
What say you?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
congorozides
Club Player

Alan Richardson
105 games
37 wins.

Just wondering how long he gets while he is 'not judged on his win loss records' like the disciples like to say on here.

Does he get 150 games? 200?

When, if ever, is he judged on w:l?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 5:18pm The assistants and game plan will change next year. We executed whatever we did against Melbourne brilliantly and need to replicate that again. In a nutshell - we moved the ball quick, ran hard, kicked more and got plenty of goals as a result.
Rubbish
Melbourne are brittle and proved it again tonight
We played a true TOP side and the pressure goes up a notch and we were left horridly wanting
Fact is we were never even competitive in the game. No excuses acceptable

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 11:16pm Alan Richardson
105 games
37 wins.

Just wondering how long he gets while he is 'not judged on his win loss records' like the disciples like to say on here.

Board are compromised and can’t move him on THATS the issue

“Yeah….nah””
congorozides
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 11:18pm
congorozides wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 11:16pm Alan Richardson
105 games
37 wins.

Board are compromised and can’t move him on THATS the issue
Agree.

So they are all bluffing and trying to pretend they have everything under control and all is on track.

They are bluffing. The false appearance of competence.

The reality that everyone knows is that Richo is only still there due to pure dumb luck.
The Board made a HUGE mistake and now dont want to lose face by sacking him now.
So they will wait another 12 months and hope for a miracle.
Last edited by congorozides on Sun 22 Jul 2018 12:59am, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

nw7 wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 8:03am
skeptic wrote: Fri 20 Jul 2018 11:36pm The only thing I can say in defence of Richo is that we know the list isn’t good enough and it needs more overhaul and desperately needs more firepower
You are spot on but the worry is that Richo thought we had a TOP 4 list? He keeps praising Gilbert, Geary, Newnes, Weller and keeps playing Savage. Hickey is better than Longer but both are very poor Ruckman. Richo needs a reality check with our list or we will never improve it.
Correct. That’s my concern too.

In a funny way, this actually reminds of 2000 when Tim Watson resigned.

This article came out in the paper basically dividing our list into three categories...

Keepers
At risk
Delist

The most fascinating category was the second one...
It had Justin Peckett, Matty Young, Austin Jones, Steven Sziller, Jason Trianedes, Barry Hall, Tony Brown, & a few others.

Everyone on that list was seriously underperforming
The thing the club did right at the time was it made a no BS call on the players and correctly assessed who was worth persevering with and who was done... surviving players like Jones, and Peckett went on to contribute heavily in the 04-05 push, Hall got us some draft picks and tough calls were made on talented players like Matty Young who just weren’t cutting it.

You look at our list at the moment...
Hickey
Longer
Weller
Newnes
Gilbert
Lonie
McCartin
Billings
Ross
Dunstan
Geary
Savage
Steele
Wright
Minchington
Webster
Sinclair

All of those guys are not consistently producing to the standard that we are needing/expecting from them. Expectation and gap in performance obviously varies from player to player. In essence this is the core of which the club should ask... is this player going to perform at the standard they should and they need to be really rationale / realistic in the answer.

12months ago, ppl may have said that’s a really promising core... right now it’s a really underwhelming, underperforming group of players, many of which should be cut, a few traded out heading into a strong draft if possible and a few should be kept.

And the next group down...
White
Pierce
Joyce
Connellan
Freeman
Goddard
Paton
Austin
Langlands

Based on form, they should be rotating in and out more then what they have been.

My concern however is that Richo will continue to gift games to players that IMO aren’t up to it and don’t deserve in another 2 years time those guys will be cut and many of the guys above will be cast into the wilderness having not been given a go over 4-5 years.

Already looks like it’s going to happen to Pierce...
Can’t get a game despite the fact that he’s had his best year on the list, it I’m sure we’ll see Hickey/Longer play another 5