Billy has a Tagger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billy has a Tagger

Billy’s ‘presence’ is a bigger myth than Stoney’s football career! ;)

Please, someone highlight an instance whete his ‘presence’ was evident?

The facts are he didn’t win one 50/50 contest around the ground all day, and was regularly beaten and out marked by Gawn and even Brayshaw!!! If the ball stays in the area after a ruck contest you can guarantee Billy will fall to ground a second later, bloke can’t even stay on his feet!

He’s the biggest bloke on the ground and can’t even take a mark, let alone a contested mark, which says a lot about his ‘physical presence’! I guarantee no one is scared of ol’ Billy. Battle has more presence than him and he’s still a kid!

Mumford was a modern ruckman with ‘presence’, and Billy is not worthy to even tie his shoelaces.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the exchange rate is ...
1 Longer + 1 Hickey = 0.5 Grundy

Can we somehow trade both for an elite ruckman?

stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 10:09am Billy’s ‘presence’ is a bigger myth than Stoney’s football career! ;)

The facts are he didn’t win one 50/50 contest around the ground all day, and was regularly beaten and out marked by Gawn and even Brayshaw!!! If the ball stays in the area after a ruck contest you can guarantee Billy will fall to ground a second later, bloke can’t even stay on his feet!

He’s the biggest bloke on the ground and can’t even take a mark, let alone a contested mark, which says a lot about his ‘physical presence’! I guarantee no one is scared of ol’ Billy. Battle has more presence than him and he’s still a kid!

Mumford was a modern ruckman with ‘presence’, and Billy is not worthy to even tie his shoelaces.
No worries, more than happy to back my career against most, happy to play a few minutes on the likes of you!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 10:07am
takeaway wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 9:30am
rodgerfox wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 7:46am
takeaway wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 11:48pm Billy is strong in the contest, impacts the packs and tries to clear a space for the mids. Similar (but not as good as yet) as Lazar. You have the wrong end of the stick Rodge
That's just simply not true.

His biggest issue is that he is utterly feeble in contests. Brayshaw's second goal was from a one on one marking contest with Longer, in which Longer was outbodied by a little, skinny onballer and went to the ground (somehow?) whilst Brayshaw kept his feet and won the ball.

The one thing that he does bring to the table, is that he throws his body into centre ruck contests. He's brave and tough in that sense. He certainly tries.

But he loses hitouts, and aside from the Gold Coast game, we lose centre clearances when he plays.

The only stat that we significantly do better in when he plays, is our F50 entries per goal efficiency. And I can't see how that can be attributed to him?
I was talking about Longer, not Hickey.
Hickey is very ordinary - but unfortunately what Hickey lacks, Longer doesn't really deliver on either.

FWIW....
Ruckman Wins Inside 50s Disposals Points For Points Against Clearances Hitouts
Marshall 0% 3 -20 55 104 -3 -20
Longer 75% -2.5 36.3 87.3 93 1.75 -18.75
Hickey 0% -3.9 -1.4 66.8 99.1 0 11

So when Longer plays, basically we're a 1 goal better team defensively, and just over 3 goals better offensively. We get 1 more Inside 50, but lose nearly 2 more Clearances - and get walloped badly in the Hitouts. We get our hands on the ball about 37 more times.

However one of those games includes Gold Coast, where we has a massive 32 more Clearances and 17 more Inside 50s than them! So that skews the stats a bit.

For mine, if you're looking for a barometer, I'd look at Armitage. In the games that Longer's played in, he's been healthy and has averaged 5 Inside 50s, 4 Clearances and 25 Disposals himself! Rather than trying to find a link between Longer and the team's success that just doesn't seem to add up - Armitage being healthy is one that not only passes the 'gut feel' test, but also has the numbers to back it up.
If Armitage had played a full season last year we would have played finals. We would've beaten Port Adelaide in Adelaide, and if he hadn't gone off injured against West Coast in Perth in round 2 we would have won that match as well. That would have given us 13 wins. No doubt in my mind.

Marshall's stats look reasonable because when he plays we have two ruckmen in the side. We look better when we do that. I don't care what Richmond do, the Hawks play two ruckmen and it's working alright for them. Against Port we should definitely leave Billy Longer in the side to work Ryder over physically, and play Marshall (or Hickey, I don't care which) to give Billy a chop out, or if Billy needs to cover Ryder if he rests in the forward line. Otherwise someone else will do a groin, a vertabrae in the back, or get a fractured eye socket.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 10:09am Billy’s ‘presence’ is a bigger myth than Stoney’s football career! ;)

The hit out to Gresham to win the GC game. There you go.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
spert
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 10:59am

Plus a flogging by Gawn last week and couldn't even judge a mark against smaller opponents : :lol:

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 9:23am
parkeysainter wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 1:42am Are you Billy's player agent Stonecold? :D
No, not quite!!!!! ;)
Maybe Billy himself! :D

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
stonecold
SS Life Member

:wink:
parkeysainter wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 12:44pm
parkeysainter wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 1:42am Are you Billy's player agent Stonecold? :D
No, not quite!!!!! ;)
Who knows, reckon if I am, might be a few 'legends' on here changing their panties!!!!! ;)

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Wow. One hit out that was actually to Steven (who was being held). The man is a frightening!!!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Let's not mention the other silly-billy hitout into space in front of GC's goalface which cost his side a goal.
Gawn was clearly best on ground... with 135 dream points.
Last edited by samoht on Thu 05 Jul 2018 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 11:14am

Plus a flogging by Gawn last week and couldn't even judge a mark against smaller opponents : :lol:
But Gawn didn't flog him. Let Melb supporters fawn over Gawn's losing game. Rope a dope, Ali vs Frazier, Gawn was the dope.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 1:06pm :wink:
No, not quite!!!!! ;)
Who knows, reckon if I am, might be a few 'legends' on here changing their panties!!!!! ;)
I can feel your ‘presence’ from here! ;)

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 2:29pm
spert wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 11:14am

But Gawn didn't flog him. Let Melb supporters fawn over Gawn's losing game. Rope a dope, Ali vs Frazier, Gawn was the dope.
Yeah what a dope, he was only voted BOG by a mile across the board.

I wish we had more ‘dopey’ players...

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Who was that Melbourne midfielder, who as soon as he went into the centre (and stopped tagging Steven), had something like 15 possessions in the last quarter. Was it Viney?
Billy kept hitting it to him in the last quarter - and he just kept clearing the ball with ease. They only needed 1 quarter to wipe away our significant lead.
All I can say is lucky Viney wasn't played in the guts from the start of the game - we have the incompetent Melbourne coach to thank for that.

Gawn was 2 cuts above ... "a cut above" would be an understatement.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 2:13pm

Wow. One hit out that was actually to Steven (who was being held). The man is a frightening!!!
Won us the game. Happy with that a big moment and Longer delivered.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

No, not quite!!!!! ;)
Welcome aboard Billy. I bet you and Tom are laughing your heads off at this forum. :wink:

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 2:30pm
No, not quite!!!!! ;)
I can feel your ‘presence’ from here! ;)
I hope you didn't 'soil' your mum's panties!!!!! ;)

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

samoht wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 2:36pm Who was that Melbourne midfielder, who as soon as he went into the centre (and stopped tagging Steven), had something like 15 possessions in the last quarter. Was it Viney?
Billy kept hitting it to him in the last quarter - and he just kept clearing the ball with ease. They only needed 1 quarter to wipe away our significant lead.
All I can say is lucky Viney wasn't played in the guts from the start of the game - we have the incompetent Melbourne coach to thank for that.

Gawn was 2 cuts above ... "a cut above" would be an understatement.
Yep had a great game as a defensive outside midfielder, because they're crap on the outside. He had to play like that because we polaxed them on the outside. They were never going to beat us in those circumstances. If we hadn't lost Brown, we won by 5 to 7 goals.

Our lead was 20 points (would've been more if we hadn't lost Brown) not significant. You're right about Viney, except he wasn't fed by Longer, he just did some great work and is a gun. Still we rebounded often enough to keep them at bay. If Gawn wants or needs to play as an outside mid Melbourne are in trouble. Billy was more than competitive at stoppages, his knee thumping into Gawn's midriff most contests and Gawn had minimal influence at stoppages.

When we played Melbourne earlier in the season, Gawn smashed us around stoppages and was a large part of the reason they touched us up. Not this time. We played the way we wanted to play and that started from Billy and the midfielders.

Gawn best on ground my arse. Better than Gresham, Steven, Steele, Armitage and even Viney? Bullsh*t.

EDIT: Sinclair, Carlisle and Brayshaw had better games than Gawn as well.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

8-) phew

that means i'm safe
we taswegians wear our sisters

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Hitouts are the most over-rated stat there is - and anyway, Longer lost in the hitout department too.
And Billy was absolutely destroyed around the ground.
Melbourne is in sh1t form (losing their last 3 games), but despite this Gawn had a huge influence on the game (and was clearly BOG) - and had Viney played in the centre all day, the result would have been vastly different.

Swap Longer and Gawn - and we would have been 6 goals further ahead.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 2:55pm

When we played Melbourne earlier in the season, Gawn smashed us around stoppages and was a large part of the reason they touched us up. Not this time. We played the way we wanted to play and that started from Billy and the midfielders.

But they had 12 more Inside 50s than us, and 7 more Centre Clearances. Our game didn't start in the middle at all. They won the centre square battle and the middle of the ground comfortably, but wasted it going into their F50.

We had 9 more Rebound 50s than them, and 25 more Disposals - that's where we won the ball. Longer had nothing to do with that.

Do the math....7 more Centre Clearances, 12 more Inside 50s, and 9 less Rebound 50s. They were getting the ball first, and owning the middle - but giving it back to us in our D50 - we used the ball efficiently going forward once they gave it to us.

They had more Contested Possessions - yet we had 35 more Uncontested Possessions. We killed them on the way back.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Thu 05 Jul 2018 4:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 2:55pm Billy was more than competitive at stoppages, his knee thumping into Gawn's midriff most contests and Gawn had minimal influence at stoppages.

I do agree with this bit. He does throw his body into ruck contests. It doesn't result in us winning clearances, and it clearly doesn't stop his direct opponent from getting the ball at will - but at least it's something he brings to the table.

I'm not being facetious either with the comment. He does put his body on the line in ruck contest. If he could do the same in marking contests he'd suddenly be an Ok player. But until then, he's just very mediocre.

Saints43
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:A mate of mine is a friend of Stan Alves. Alves told him an anecdote about his days at St Kilda which I don't think he's ever publicly shared, at least as far as I know.

Don't know which year this occurred, could've been 1997, but I'm not sure. Stan asked the players to write down the team mate they most respected. The resounding winner shocked Stan. It wasn't a matter of Stan not rating the player, but he was surprised, because it wasn't Harvey or Burke.

He thought they might be taking the mickey, so he went back to them and asked WTF? Were they taking the Mickey? They assured him they were completely serious and were eager to explain why.

I'll give fellow Forumites a while to see if they can work out who that player was.
Jayson Daniels?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 12:43am Billy has that immeasurable quality we all over look. 'Presence.' :lol:

Stonecold sees it though :wink:
Got to agree there.
My daughter asked early in the last quarter “is Billy even there?” It took me a while to find him but he was present.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Saints43 wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 3:51pm
Linton Lodger wrote:A mate of mine is a friend of Stan Alves. Alves told him an anecdote about his days at St Kilda which I don't think he's ever publicly shared, at least as far as I know.

Don't know which year this occurred, could've been 1997, but I'm not sure. Stan asked the players to write down the team mate they most respected. The resounding winner shocked Stan. It wasn't a matter of Stan not rating the player, but he was surprised, because it wasn't Harvey or Burke.

He thought they might be taking the mickey, so he went back to them and asked WTF? Were they taking the Mickey? They assured him they were completely serious and were eager to explain why.

I'll give fellow Forumites a while to see if they can work out who that player was.
Jayson Daniels?
Nope, answer in one of my earlier replies.