Billy has a Tagger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Billy has a Tagger

The_Dud wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 9:11pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 8:08pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 7:00pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 5:00pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 2:08pm The whole “but he played and we won” argument is lazy and flawed.

Tom Hawkins had a higher winning percentage than both Plugger and Roo. Are those same posters prepared to say Hawkins is a better player than the other 2?
Lazy and flawed?????

When Hickledik plays, we don't win, is that lazy and flawed as well?????

Our mids prefer Billy playing, simple as that, its irrelevant what any of us think, have a ll the theories you like, it's what's best for our players and structures, not some clowns on a fan forum!!!!!

Footy clubs are judged by Wins and losses, one of our rucks plays in wins, the other has hardly played in a win for nearly two seasons!!!!!

Say what you like, until that changes, I'm sticking with Longer!!!!!

As I have said on many occasions, neither are great, but only one is 'soft', so as an experienced footballer, I know which one I'd rather go into battle with!!!!!

Is it 8 or 9 games for Hickledik this season for zero wins?????
Hickey didn’t play last season due to injury, so please stop saying “nearly 2 seasons”. How many wins did Longer play in in 2016?

And the 3 wins he’s played in this year, 2 have been against teams currently 16th and 17th on the ladder, and last week he was smashed in every measure you can think of, with his direct opponent nearly single handedly dragging his team across the line.

We won in spite of Longer. 2 of the games his direct opponent smashed him, and the third he was outplayed by Witts.

Billy is a liability, and is not up to AFL standard in anything outside of a ruck contest, where he is still only average

Seems to be playing AFL at the minute, how many games did you play Champion?????

Not up to AFL standard, well, that just doesn't get you on an AFL list, does it!!!!!

Let alone playing AFL games, go away, your an arm chair expert!!!!!

I think my football experience is about as relevant as yours at this point Stoney! :)
Wrong again!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
stonecold
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 9:13pm A mate of mine is a friend of Stan Alves. Alves told him an anecdote about his days at St Kilda which I don't think he's ever publicly shared, at least as far as I know.

Don't know which year this occurred, could've been 1997, but I'm not sure. Stan asked the players to write down the team mate they most respected. The resounding winner shocked Stan. It wasn't a matter of Stan not rating the player, but he was surprised, because it wasn't Harvey or Burke.

He thought they might be taking the mickey, so he went back to them and asked WTF? Were they taking the Mickey? They assured him they were completely serious and were eager to explain why.

I'll give fellow Forumites a while to see if they can work out who that player was.
#9!!!!!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Big Lazar! Had to respect him. He even refused match payments if he felt that he hadn't played well enough. That is what I call integrity.
I remember him saying in a supporter fanzine, Marching In, that if St. Kilda got into the Grand Final, if he was playing in it they would introduce a 'sin bin' the next year. Still devastated he broke his leg against Port on the eve of the finals in 1997. He would've been the Cowboy Neale type we needed in the Grannie that year. :(
And if he felt his mates on the field were in danger, well...
Last edited by samuraisaint on Wed 04 Jul 2018 11:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 9:39pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 9:13pm A mate of mine is a friend of Stan Alves. Alves told him an anecdote about his days at St Kilda which I don't think he's ever publicly shared, at least as far as I know.

Don't know which year this occurred, could've been 1997, but I'm not sure. Stan asked the players to write down the team mate they most respected. The resounding winner shocked Stan. It wasn't a matter of Stan not rating the player, but he was surprised, because it wasn't Harvey or Burke.

He thought they might be taking the mickey, so he went back to them and asked WTF? Were they taking the Mickey? They assured him they were completely serious and were eager to explain why.

I'll give fellow Forumites a while to see if they can work out who that player was.
#9!!!!!
Would you buy a used car from him? :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Indeed Stoney and Samurai. It was Lazar Vidovic. Not saying Billy is anywhere near as good as Lazar was, but is a similar ruckman.

However, the reason the players gave when Stan asked, was that he stood over the opposition, looked after them (the mids were unanimous in their praise), protected them and made them walk tall.

I cannot believe the view that Billy was flogged by Gawn. Gawn played well as a winger, Billy didn't go with him half the time (was probably not expected to). Gawn got a sh*tload of the ball against Collingwood 2 weeks ago, fat lot of good it did his team.

The bottom line is that our midfield group, Longer, Steele, Armitage and Steven monstered their midfield group (except for a few minutes when Viney went ballastic) and it all started there.

Billy's influence was the sort of influence Big Lazar was regarded for.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
takeaway
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 10:39pm Indeed Stoney and Samurai. It was Lazar Vidovic. Not saying Billy is anywhere near as good as Lazar was, but is a similar ruckman.

However, the reason the players gave when Stan asked, was that he stood over the opposition, looked after them (the mids were unanimous in their praise), protected them and made them walk tall.

I cannot believe the view that Billy was flogged by Gawn. Gawn played well as a winger, Billy didn't go with him half the time (was probably not expected to). Gawn got a sh*tload of the ball against Collingwood 2 weeks ago, fat lot of good it did his team.

The bottom line is that our midfield group, Longer, Steele, Armitage and Steven monstered their midfield group (except for a few minutes when Viney went ballastic) and it all started there.

I have been trying to get that across re Billy in other threads but you have put it much better. He needs to improve but the mids seem to stand taller with Billy.
Hope that continues.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Easy question for me LL, didn't even have to think about the answer!!!!! ;)

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 10:39pm Indeed Stoney and Samurai. It was Lazar Vidovic. Not saying Billy is anywhere near as good as Lazar was, but is a similar ruckman.

Longer was being bullied by Viney and Oliver! They were shoving him around like big rag doll.

I'm actually offended hearing his name mentioned in the same breath as Vidovic.

stonecold
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 10:59pm

Longer was being bullied by Viney and Oliver! They were shoving him around like big rag doll.

Rubbish and I'm not!!!!!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 11:01pm

Rubbish and I'm not!!!!!
I was watching it.

Viney, Oliver and the other mids were bumping, shoving and getting stuck into him every time Gawn got the pill (which was a lot).

If anyone thinks Longer strikes fear into the opposition, they are very, very mistaken.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Glen Coghlan

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

We got pick 21 for Stanley, and pick 18,Savage and a pick upgrade for Big Ben.
Ruckman have proven valuable at the trade table.
If someone offers up a first rounder or very early second for either Billy or Tom we’d be crazy not to look at it.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
takeaway
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 11:06pm

Rubbish and I'm not!!!!!
I was watching it.

Viney, Oliver and the other mids were bumping, shoving and getting stuck into him every time Gawn got the pill (which was a lot).

If anyone thinks Longer strikes fear into the opposition, they are very, very mistaken.
Of course they were. Done by all players in the AFL. When someone misses a goal, gets pinged, etc. Means nothing. Players just ride the shoves because they can't retaliate - free kick, 50m, or weeks off. Was not the case a few years ago.

I don't know who said "Longer strikes fear into the opposition" because does not happen nowadays. Billy is strong in the contest, impacts the packs and tries to clear a space for the mids. Similar (but not as good as yet) as Lazar. You have the wrong end of the stick Rodge

stonecold
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 11:06pm

Rubbish and I'm not!!!!!
I was watching it.

Gee, you've toned that done a bit, was bully before!!!!! haha

That's what all players do to blokes who are a threat to their team mate!!!!!

Backhanded compliment!!!!!

Again a real lack of football nous!!!!!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Billy has that immeasurable quality we all over look. 'Presence.' :lol:

Stonecold sees it though :wink:

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Are you Billy's player agent Stonecold? :D

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 12:43am Billy has that immeasurable quality we all over look. 'Presence.' :lol:

Stonecold sees it though :wink:
Never mind if your opponent runs rings around you. You have “presence...”

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 12:36am

Gee, you've toned that done a bit, was bully before!!!!! haha

That's what all players do to blokes who are a threat to their team mate!!!!!

Backhanded compliment!!!!!

Again a real lack of football nous!!!!!
I haven't toned it down at all.

Seeing two or three little guys pushing and shoving a dude twice their size around and him doing nothing about as he didn't have the physical strength to protect himself -is perfectly described as bullying.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 11:48pm Billy is strong in the contest, impacts the packs and tries to clear a space for the mids. Similar (but not as good as yet) as Lazar. You have the wrong end of the stick Rodge
That's just simply not true.

His biggest issue is that he is utterly feeble in contests. Brayshaw's second goal was from a one on one marking contest with Longer, in which Longer was outbodied by a little, skinny onballer and went to the ground (somehow?) whilst Brayshaw kept his feet and won the ball.

The one thing that he does bring to the table, is that he throws his body into centre ruck contests. He's brave and tough in that sense. He certainly tries.

But he loses hitouts, and aside from the Gold Coast game, we lose centre clearances when he plays.

The only stat that we significantly do better in when he plays, is our F50 entries per goal efficiency. And I can't see how that can be attributed to him?

stonecold
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 1:42am Are you Billy's player agent Stonecold? :D
No, not quite!!!!! ;)

takeaway
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 7:46am
takeaway wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 11:48pm Billy is strong in the contest, impacts the packs and tries to clear a space for the mids. Similar (but not as good as yet) as Lazar. You have the wrong end of the stick Rodge

His biggest issue is that he is utterly feeble in contests. Brayshaw's second goal was from a one on one marking contest with Longer, in which Longer was outbodied by a little, skinny onballer and went to the ground (somehow?) whilst Brayshaw kept his feet and won the ball.

The one thing that he does bring to the table, is that he throws his body into centre ruck contests. He's brave and tough in that sense. He certainly tries.

But he loses hitouts, and aside from the Gold Coast game, we lose centre clearances when he plays.

The only stat that we significantly do better in when he plays, is our F50 entries per goal efficiency. And I can't see how that can be attributed to him?
I was talking about Longer, not Hickey.

stonecold
SS Life Member

takeaway wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 9:30am

Yeap, Hickledik is utterly feeble at the contest, that's for sure, makes Billy look like Lazar!!!!!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Another big test coming up. Ryder in Adelaide is a high benchmark. Tough gig playing ruck, Gawn then Ryder= sleepless nights and gashed thighs? Last 2 games I thought he looked like he was trying really hard and positioned reasonably well, if he was told not to follow Gawn into our fwd line. Billy took a mark or two and spoilt a couple of Melbourne packs. Just can't bring myself to criticise him too much, just wish he were more agile at times*. And he is our Billy, so all strength to his large arms and scarred legs.

* wish the same for myself actually.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 9:30am

Hickey is very ordinary - but unfortunately what Hickey lacks, Longer doesn't really deliver on either.

FWIW....
Ruckman Wins Inside 50s Disposals Points For Points Against Clearances Hitouts
Marshall 0% 3 -20 55 104 -3 -20
Longer 75% -2.5 36.3 87.3 93 1.75 -18.75
Hickey 0% -3.9 -1.4 66.8 99.1 0 11

So when Longer plays, basically we're a 1 goal better team defensively, and just over 3 goals better offensively. We get 1 more Inside 50, but lose nearly 2 more Clearances - and get walloped badly in the Hitouts. We get our hands on the ball about 37 more times.

However one of those games includes Gold Coast, where we has a massive 32 more Clearances and 17 more Inside 50s than them! So that skews the stats a bit.

For mine, if you're looking for a barometer, I'd look at Armitage. In the games that Longer's played in, he's been healthy and has averaged 5 Inside 50s, 4 Clearances and 25 Disposals himself! Rather than trying to find a link between Longer and the team's success that just doesn't seem to add up - Armitage being healthy is one that not only passes the 'gut feel' test, but also has the numbers to back it up.