Disgusted to see Steele having to play in the ruck

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Disgusted to see Steele having to play in the ruck

I posted on here this past week, and have commented to friends, about the folly of only playing one ruckman against the Sydney Swans.
And lo and behold, when we are 9, yes 9 goals behind in the FIRST QUARTER, what do I see? Yes, I see our ruckman going off for a break, and then I see our number 9 in the ruck.
I could not believe my eyes, so incredulous was I that I had to ask other St. Kilda supporters sitting near us, who was wearing #9 in the ruck. They told me Jack Steele. I said "Jack Steele is rucking?". They said "Yes". I want you to think about that for a moment.
I also question the folly of not trying Goddard in the backline this week, against a team who continually touch us up. We desperately needed extra height tonight. Nothing to lose really, but no, and so we then have Bailey Rice standing Franklin, because Brown isn't mobile enough. Talk about a mismatch for the poor kid.
Colour me incredulous.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Disgusted to see Steele having to play in the ruck

Bruce, Gilbert, Acres and now Steele...

I’m shocked that you’re surprised.

Meanwhile Pierce hasn’t played a game in two years
Marshall doesn’t play ruck when he’s in the team
And we haven’t taught Hickey to tap or Longer how to catch the ball

David-Lee
Club Player

Seriously. Wtf.
We have no other talls?
Really baffled me.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Why not play Paddy in the ruck.
It is not like we lose an effective forward.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Crossy66
Club Player

Hickeys game tonight was reminiscent of his infamous essendon game last year. Other than ruck contests he simply didnt compete and looked to make no effort. A number of times he just stood flat footed and watched others in marking contests, case in point, look at the Swans third goal as an example. He added some cheap stats when the heat came out of the game, with junk up and under kicks. I will be surprised if he plays next week.
Mind you, he had a few mates.

wally
Club Player

Mason Cox gives Collingwood something, surely we have players better than him that could do something for us.
If we are going to bomb it in have someone roving the pack

ace
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:10am Bruce, Gilbert, Acres and now Steele...

I’m shocked that you’re surprised.

Meanwhile Pierce hasn’t played a game in two years
Marshall doesn’t play ruck when he’s in the team
And we haven’t taught Hickey to tap or Longer how to catch the ball
Can we trade Longer to Frankston and bring Pierce back to Sandringham with a view to giving him a chance.
He could play as a key forward instead of Pudding and then ruck as required.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:23am Hickeys game tonight was reminiscent of his infamous essendon game last year. Other than ruck contests he simply didnt compete and looked to make no effort. A number of times he just stood flat footed and watched others in marking contests, case in point, look at the Swans third goal as an example. He added some cheap stats when the heat came out of the game, with junk up and under kicks. I will be surprised if he plays next week.
Mind you, he had a few mates.
Yeap, post of the year, I wont I told ya so, nah, f*** it, I told ya so!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
one point
Club Player

You have been implacably consistent. Sadly it was all on show tonight.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Stone cold has no right to mouth off about anything.

Spends most of his time with parkeysaint and Linton lodger bullying anyone who dissents against the club hierarchy and telling us all that the club is in great hands run by a pack of geniuses and we all have no idea.
Absolute a grade bull shitter.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:40am Stone cold has no right to mouth off about anything.

Spends most of his time with parkeysaint and Linton lodger bullying anyone who dissents against the club hierarchy and telling us all that the club is in great hands run by a pack of geniuses and we all have no idea.
Absolute a grade bull shitter.
What's your problem Snoopy?????

You pick a lot of fights, don't you?????

Don't go running me down, do yourself a favour and find another poster!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It's nice that Richo is giving everyone a go to play a different position. Can't wait to see Lonie get a go in the ruck next week!

I reckon Paddy would be fantastic in the midfield :mrgreen:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Ape_Man
Club Player

Maybe Lonie could ride on Wellers shoulders and play ruck.

Would make 1 average player, which would be a nice upgrade.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

For those of us who remember the 80s, and for those of us who remember the shorter bad era of the early 2000s, when was the last time we were 9 goals down before quarter time?
And although it is easy to put the knock on the players, because they are, after all, the ones out there, I pose another question: Mark Hutchings, Tom Lynch, Ben McEvoy Rhys Stanley, have all been improved players since they left us.
The idea of coaches is to teach and mentor the players to become better, not worse. Paddy McCartin missed two regulation goals last night, one of which would have put us back within 6 goals of the Swans and missed both. The funny thing is when Hickey missed his from a far more difficult angle the sarcastic remarks from St Kilda supporters came out. I mean; McCartin was a #1 pick as a junior forward. After 4 years he needs to be kicking those. Where is the evidence of learning after all these years? Barry Hall, Fraser Gehrig, Lockett, Jason Heatley, George Young and Mark Jackson all would have eaten them right up. Hayward from the Swans did last night and he is only 19.
The results all point to coaching and development.
We are kidding ourselves if we honestly believe Billings doesn't have the tools to be an absolute out and out star.
What about all of those high bombs into the forward line which go towards the same pocket all of the time? Aren't they being reminded that they need to kick to a forward's advantage?
Some of the players mentioned on this site could go somewhere else and become very, very effective players. I am sick and tired of losing players like Russell Greene, Val Perovic, and others to other clubs, see them develop better than they ever would with us, and have to be happy for them because they played in premiership teams. Dean Rice anyone?
As for the ruck situation, I will say this, I went last night and knew it was a shocker to go in to that match with only one ruckman. Today our reserves play Frankston, the bottom side with another of our ruckmen playing for them. If Billy Longer and Marshall cannot absolutely dominate today to try to establish their ruck position back in the senior team, then we have well and truly blown it, given the McEvoy trade to bring in younger rucks.
I was very disappointed when a club spokesman came out publicly and said that we are not holding a club performance review until the end of the year. It should be happening during the bye. Amateur hour. Or LOL as the Generation Y'ers would say.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Relax everyone. We are in a holding pattern. Richo is the temporary coach until his inevitable sacking this week or next.

Until the cogs of change begin, it’s all irrelevant.

Will Richo appear on AFL360 on Monday night?

Will Tobin Brothers sponsor the show as a one-off perhaps??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
philtee
Club Player

June 2013 match against North came pretty close.
9.7 to 1.0 at quarter time.
A dark day at Etihad.

realdeal
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:51am For those of us who remember the 80s, and for those of us who remember the shorter bad era of the early 2000s, when was the last time we were 9 goals down before quarter time?
And although it is easy to put the knock on the players, because they are, after all, the ones out there, I pose another question: Mark Hutchings, Tom Lynch, Ben McEvoy Rhys Stanley, have all been improved players since they left us.
The idea of coaches is to teach and mentor the players to become better, not worse. Paddy McCartin missed two regulation goals last night, one of which would have put us back within 6 goals of the Swans and missed both. The funny thing is when Hickey missed his from a far more difficult angle the sarcastic remarks from St Kilda supporters came out. I mean; McCartin was a #1 pick as a junior forward. After 4 years he needs to be kicking those. Where is the evidence of learning after all these years? Barry Hall, Fraser Gehrig, Lockett, Jason Heatley, George Young and Mark Jackson all would have eaten them right up. Hayward from the Swans did last night and he is only 19.
The results all point to coaching and development.
We are kidding ourselves if we honestly believe Billings doesn't have the tools to be an absolute out and out star.
What about all of those high bombs into the forward line which go towards the same pocket all of the time? Aren't they being reminded that they need to kick to a forward's advantage?
Some of the players mentioned on this site could go somewhere else and become very, very effective players. I am sick and tired of losing players like Russell Greene, Val Perovic, and others to other clubs, see them develop better than they ever would with us, and have to be happy for them because they played in premiership teams. Dean Rice anyone?
As for the ruck situation, I will say this, I went last night and knew it was a shocker to go in to that match with only one ruckman. Today our reserves play Frankston, the bottom side with another of our ruckmen playing for them. If Billy Longer and Marshall cannot absolutely dominate today to try to establish their ruck position back in the senior team, then we have well and truly blown it, given the McEvoy trade to bring in younger rucks.
I was very disappointed when a club spokesman came out publicly and said that we are not holding a club performance review until the end of the year. It should be happening during the bye. Amateur hour. Or LOL as the Generation Y'ers would say.
Rhys Stanley!? 🤔

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:01am I posted on here this past week, and have commented to friends, about the folly of only playing one ruckman against the Sydney Swans.
And lo and behold, when we are 9, yes 9 goals behind in the FIRST QUARTER, what do I see? Yes, I see our ruckman going off for a break, and then I see our number 9 in the ruck.
I could not believe my eyes, so incredulous was I that I had to ask other St. Kilda supporters sitting near us, who was wearing #9 in the ruck. They told me Jack Steele. I said "Jack Steele is rucking?". They said "Yes". I want you to think about that for a moment.
I also question the folly of not trying Goddard in the backline this week, against a team who continually touch us up. We desperately needed extra height tonight. Nothing to lose really, but no, and so we then have Bailey Rice standing Franklin, because Brown isn't mobile enough. Talk about a mismatch for the poor kid.
Colour me incredulous.
Good post. Great post. Realistic post.

What the f*** do they think they are doing post.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:01am I posted on here this past week, and have commented to friends, about the folly of only playing one ruckman against the Sydney Swans.
Colour me incredulous.

Agree with both. No idea how Brown found his way back into the side and Steele rucking was a disgrace.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Clearly if Blight was coaching, Lonie would be piggy-backing on Hickey's shoulders, and would get every hitout and take huge amounts of contested marks. I'm just surprised that Richo doesn't do something like this- too predictable.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

is it legal ?

i like it

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
chico2001
Club Player

Yes, Hickey got flogged but he is still better than Longer. You could not give those two players away, maybe Gold Coast would take them as back ups and pay them $80k a year because that is about their value. McCartin , so I was told on here was the best under 18 kick for goal in Australia when he was recruited. Has never looked like kicking a goal, total bulls***.......Might need to play him high-forward, his field kicking is much better than his goal kicking. He was moving better last night when playing up the ground.