Match Thread Saints v Freo Round 8 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Freo Round 8 2018

I'll get shot down here but it I've gotta ask the question...Does anyone else think that Carlisle is soft?

Yes he got hurt. Yes it was worthy of a spell on the bench, but fair dinkum, there was no speed or momentum involved in the impact and I reckon some of our players have played on with broken ribs, broken jaws, and punctured lungs before. Did he actually fail a concussion test, or did he simply say that he did not feel well?

Even with a guy like Paddy that we all like to pot, Paddy got up from a far heavier knock last week whereas Carlisle just simply gave up. Carlisle reminds me at times of junior footballers when their team is getting flogged and they give up due to an injury... that they'd perhaps normally play on if they thought their team was a chance

I cannot understand why he didn't come back on the ground after a 30 minute rest. Was he really concussed. I don't think that at any stage straight after the impact did Carlisle pass out, so I expect him to play next week, unless the medical report comes out with him having concussion symptoms.

The way we played without him should also give everyone encouragement. If our midfield can get on top that is more important than Carlisle playing well. I'd prefer us to win and our backline to have avergae games rather than Carlisle being one of our best players each week
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 13 May 2018 12:50am, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

No.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

gee a bit hard on him. hard to tell on a temple hit. i've known big blokes that can't take a hit, but haven't seen carlisle wimping off, so not going to assume he did.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
ace
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:Feel bad for Billings, clearly so in his own head about his goalkicking

Play him in defence ......................................... at Sandringham.
That will clear his head.
Take away his smart phone, it may make him concentrate on his football.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I'll get shot down here but it I've gotta ask the question...Does anyone else think that Carlisle is soft?

Yes he got hurt. Yes it was worthy of a spell on the bench, but fair dinkum, there was no speed or momentum involved in the impact and I reckon some of our players have played on with broken ribs, broken jaws, and punctured lungs before. Did he actually fail a concussion test, or did he simply say that he did not feel well?

Even with a guy like Paddy that we all like to pot, Paddy got up from a far heavier knock last week whereas Carlisle just simply gave up. Carlisle reminds me at times of junior footballers when their team is getting flogged and they give up due to an injury... that they'd perhaps normally play on if they thought their team was a chance

I cannot understand why he didn't come back on the ground after a 30 minute rest. Was he really concussed. I don't think that at any stage straight after the impact did Carlisle pass out, so I expect him to play next week, unless the medical report comes out with him having concussion symptoms.

The way we played without him should also give everyone encouragement. If our midfield can get on top that is more important than Carlisle playing well. I'd prefer us to win and our backline to have avergae games rather than Carlisle being one of our best players each week
Nah he copped a knee in the head. I suppose it was an accidental knee in the head, but it was a solid knock for sure.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Marshall been good
Hickey good
Phillips good great composure

Alan will drop all these next week
Your Kidding, Marshall good- not, one trick pony, once the ball hits the deck, he is a statue!!!!!

Hickey good, no, yes he gets a few possies around the ground, however no defensive elements to he's game, plus Freo just walked it out of the middle cause he is non competitive!!!!!

Tough one, the ruck, Longer provides a really strong contest, physical presence, however not enough around the ground, Hickey, well third week in a row he's opponent is in the best three!!!!!

As previously stated, play the one in the best form, Tom is just too soft!!!!!

Marshall is not ready, but until Battle starts getting a kick, probably has to stay in!!!!!

Phillips was decent!!!!!

Sandilands smashed us and gave first use to Fyfe and Neale!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
realdeal
Club Player

Scollop wrote:I'll get shot down here but it I've gotta ask the question...Does anyone else think that Carlisle is soft?

Idiot.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle was BOG before the Paddy syndrome.

Scollop is an idiot..sorry had to say that, what a stupid post.

now...been keeping a close on Webster...this guy is a keeper..gee apart from him..stevens, Carlisle it really starts to drop off.

I knew it was going to be a tough season but had no idea we were going to be this bad, sad situation.

portosaint
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:Carlisle was BOG before the Paddy syndrome.

Scollop is an idiot..sorry had to say that, what a stupid post.

now...been keeping a close on Webster...this guy is a keeper..gee apart from him..stevens, Carlisle it really starts to drop off.

I knew it was going to be a tough season but had no idea we were going to be this bad, sad situation.
Steven is a keeper too

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I understand there was impact, but I thought it didn't look severe enough to warrant him sitting out the whole match. The medical report in a couple of days will tell me if I'm wrong. I have no idea if they did a test and if he really did suffer a genuine concussion, however I have seen plenty of other players suffer worse and come back on the field after the standard 20-30 minutes.

Some players don't even walk off or let the trainers take them off. Paddy Dangerfield smashed his noggin in a high speed collision a few weeks back and got up and played the rest of the game. Last week against GWS he was running full steam ahead and he didn't shirk the contest whereas Heath Shaw backed out. The guy is tuff, has no fear, and plays on pure adrenalin.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I understand there was impact, but I thought it didn't look severe enough to warrant him sitting out the whole match. The medical report in a couple of days will tell me if I'm wrong. I have no idea if they did a test and if he really did suffer a genuine concussion, however I have seen plenty of other players suffer worse and come back on the field after the standard 20-30 minutes.

Some players don't even walk off or let the trainers take them off. Paddy Dangerfield smashed his noggin in a high speed collision a few weeks back and got up and played the rest of the game. Last week against GWS he was running full steam ahead and he didn't shirk the contest whereas Heath Shaw backed out. The guy is tuff, has no fear, and plays on pure adrenalin.
I have it on good authority that he was trying to come back on - but after the mandatory 20 minutes - he then had to walk back to the ground - and only just got back to see the final siren sound.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
sks023
Club Player

whoever kicked that scrubber to Carlisle is responsible for the head knock.
Might as well kicked him in the head himself.

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

bigred wrote:Steel going onto Fyfe in the third turned the game dick head
Many thanks for your perspective. I will watch him with interest next week.

All the very best

ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

Reiwoldt used to get.knocked out every quarter he never complained.
Early 2000s how many times did St Nick get kod then came back.on and win the game for us?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ChrisRyanSaints wrote:Reiwoldt used to get.knocked out every quarter he never complained.
Early 2000s how many times did St Nick get kod then came back.on and win the game for us?
It’s true, but times have changed. The league is red hot on concussion protocols ... it fears future law suits. What do you do? The world has changed.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

It is not the force of the blow it is the location, how the head is moved and how the brain is bounced around in the skull.
To query Carslile's hardness without the knowledge on how he fared in his concussion test is ignorant and disrespectful to the one Saint on the ground that clearly won his position in the first quarter.

I remember Chips getting a terrible KO against Collingwood in maybe 2011 and later returning to the field.
Thankfully these days are long gone and the clubs conduct a far better duty of care to players.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
ChrisRyanSaints wrote:Reiwoldt used to get.knocked out every quarter he never complained.
It’s true, but times have changed. The league is red hot on concussion protocols ... it fears future law suits. What do you do? The world has changed.
Some seriously idiotic statements on this topic

Fearing lawsuits ffs. How about just looking after the future welfare of our young players. I suggest some of you read about what is happening with concussions and sport around the world

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
portosaint
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Fearing lawsuits ffs. How about just looking after the future welfare of our young players. I suggest some of you read about what is happening with concussions and sport around the world
Get off your high horse. People are obviously concerned about player welfare, but you know what is forefront around the world when it comes to concussion and sport? Lawsuits. That is fact. That is the reason a 'business' such as the AFL is so concerned.

So yes, you are correct. Player welfare is paramount. But its also correct that the AFL and the world of elite sport are all fearing expensive lawsuits.

FFS

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Get off your high horse. People are obviously concerned about player welfare, but you know what is forefront around the world when it comes to concussion and sport? Lawsuits. That is fact. That is the reason a 'business' such as the AFL is so concerned.

So yes, you are correct. Player welfare is paramount. But its also correct that the AFL and the world of elite sport are all fearing expensive lawsuits.

FFS
You said it for me. Thanks.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think I am getting concussion from watching our team play.

bozza1980
Club Player

With the season now shot to ribbons at 1-6-1 it must be a matter of time before some risks are taken at the selection table. While it is our view that the team isn’t as bad as the record indicates there is no longer any benefit in continuing on the same path that has led it to this position. With 14 games remaining and nothing to play for, it is the perfect opportunity to see what talent lies within the rest the list. The benefit of this strategy is three-fold, not only does it potentially fast track the development of some of the younger players, it gives the club a chance to get a true understanding of the depth of the list, it also gives the club’s long suffering supporters a chance to be excited in the weeks to come after a most disappointing start to the season.
https://pinchhittersoz.com.au/2018/05/1 ... -the-west/

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.