Is it time for Bilings to play HBF?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Is it time for Bilings to play HBF?

Just a thought.

After a good Round 1, his goal kicking, skills and output are now stagnating. Maybe Richo needs to throw him down back on a HBF or play a sweeper role behind the play to get his confidence back. He has the skills for such a role, but I doubt he has ever played in the backline before. They need to try something with him in any case and don't say chuck him down at Sandy. Not yet anyway.

Only problem is, we are lacking goal kickers and scoring players at the moment so I doubt this will ever happen with Billings. Same problem with throwing Gresham in the midfield more. Yes, both haven't kicked alot of snags this year but what other small forwards do we have that can potentially kick 3 or 4 goals a game? None. Benny Long isn't at that level yet and Minch is miles off in playing again. Lonie...not a chance. We could have picked up Menzel for a 1/4 chicken and chips price!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is it time for Bilings to play HBF?

been thinking about this a bit over the past couple of weeks.

It worked wonders for Aussie Jones.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Just a thought.

After a good Round 1, his goal kicking, skills and output are now stagnating. Maybe Richo needs to throw him down back on a HBF or play a sweeper role behind the play to get his confidence back. He has the skills for such a role, but I doubt he has ever played in the backline before. They need to try something with him in any case and don't say chuck him down at Sandy. Not yet anyway.

Only problem is, we are lacking goal kickers and scoring players at the moment so I doubt this will ever happen with Billings. Same problem with throwing Gresham in the midfield more. Yes, both haven't kicked alot of snags this year but what other small forwards do we have that can potentially kick 3 or 4 goals a game? None. Benny Long isn't at that level yet and Minch is miles off in playing again. Lonie...not a chance. We could have picked up Menzel for a 1/4 chicken and chips price!
Totally agree play him on HBF or drop him. He is totally bereft of confidence and his goal kicking is killing him. He now has the WORST goal kicking accuracy of any other player in the AFL. Well done Richo you have developed him perfectly.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:been thinking about this a bit over the past couple of weeks.

It worked wonders for Aussie Jones.
True. Great analogy. Billings would be deadly off a HBF (if he gets going) in my opinion. Maybe he needs a fresh start this season or they could explore playing him HBF in the off season.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Milne
Club Player

Given his lack of hardness/pressure if he goes there we just want to make sure he can be accountable defensively.

If so I'm all for it. Big fan of Billings and hope he turns his season around soon!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Ok we will go with that; Webster to wing? Membrey HF, Marshall or second ruck FP. White?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The argument about needing goal kickers is void...

He can’t them at the moment regardless

St. Paul
Club Player

Sir Eric Pearce with the late news. Other threads have suggested this. Why start another one? Look at Moi!

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

St. Paul wrote:Sir Eric Pearce with the late news. Other threads have suggested this. Why start another one? Look at Moi!

We can still make the finals so you just Shoosh.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Play him at Sandy and if his disposal doesn't improve then trade him at years end.

That'd take some balls wouldn't it, well, the club doesn't have any so he'll be allowed to continue to butcher it in the ones.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote:Play him at Sandy and if his disposal doesn't improve then trade him at years end.

That'd take some balls wouldn't it, well, the club doesn't have any so he'll be allowed to continue to butcher it in the ones.
We ain't going to be trading JB W42. Sorry mate. He will come good.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:The argument about needing goal kickers is void...

He can’t them at the moment regardless
True, but at least he's getting and will have some shots at the big sticks! :D

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It couldn’t hurt and may play him into something resembling form. I reckon Richo needs the attitude that if he’s going down he’s going to go down playing shots. He needs to try things

St. Paul
Club Player

Dopers are keen, Wayne. All we need is to get something decent from them. It will happen if all agree. JB is not a fan of Elliott.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
stonecold
SS Life Member

St. Paul wrote:Dopers are keen, Wayne. All we need is to get something decent from them. It will happen if all agree. JB is not a fan of Elliott.
You know this for sure, do ya BP?????

Bombers were keen before, old news as you would say ' Eric Pearce'!!!!!!

DIDRIPD!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
footynut
Club Player

Simple... YES

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The problem is his field kicking has also turned to crap. He couldn't hit the side of a barn from 20 metres away on the weekend.

And what's this rubbish about kicking a snag? You snag a goal or sausage roll. You don't snag a snag. Sick of that d**khead at Richmond already.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:

The problem is his field kicking has also turned to crap. He couldn't hit the side of a barn from 20 metres away on the weekend.

And what's this rubbish about kicking a snag? You snag a goal or sausage roll. You don't snag a snag. Sick of that d**khead at Richmond already.
Yep. Apparantly its a snag now! The lingo has changed.

Billings might be able to read the game better from HBF so his skills would and should improve.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Play him in the forward line still, but instead of having him line up for set shots the traditional way, start doing the "round the corner" kick for goal.

If he can't kick straight, then bend em through the big sticks.

It can't be any worse, and might just be better......

Once he gets some confidence, the rest of his play will come good.

And if it still doesn't work, then play him on the wing and tell him to kick it lace out to Paddy.

kalsaint
Club Player

Yes, mentioned this a week or so ago. He just seems to go to water when the post loom in front of him. If he can get a clear straight run in defence his kicking skills to player might improve heaps along with his confidence. Who knows how our forwards might perform with some good delivery. Might make Paddy smile.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

Milne wrote:Given his lack of hardness/pressure if he goes there we just want to make sure he can be accountable defensively.

If so I'm all for it. Big fan of Billings and hope he turns his season around soon!
sounds like a good plan for him to gain confidence and physical hardness / pressure with some straight run and time to better select a team mate who could be a forward.

It could allow Dunstan to move forward to increase the forward pressure. He also is one of the more accurate in front of goal at the moment.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I'd say go for it. He's not hitting the score board off at HFF anyway, so I'd be keen for them to try anything.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

A good healthy discussion. It seems the majority would be happy for JB to go HBF. Hopefully the coaching group read this forum! Lol. :lol:

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Disagree but good discussion. Id send him back to Sandy rather than HBF. We have enough HBF's at present and rather than take one spot away from a player that will realistically play there in the future I would send him back to Sandy to get his confidence back up.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Is he in the midfield rotation at the moment? Sometimes i forget he’s even playing.