Dunstan should be our next skipper

This guy is a leader! Why he wasn’t selected at the start of the season...add it to the list of head scratching howlers by our footy dept.

As indicated in a great article about that infamous loss to port adelaide last year, he is right in amongst it as a leader not by title but he’s the spiritual leader of our post grand final near miss era. A real go to guy for all our young guys and I get the feeling he and Blake are at the core of our young playing list. Dunstan shows emotion on the field, good and bad, you can tell he is an emotional guy and we need some emotion, some real spirit to lift the club out of this blip...is it a blip, a dip, a blippi dip?

Anyway, I just have a gut feeling that in this horrible start to the year, you look for who’s risen amongst the rabble, it hadn’t been Newnes, Ross...it’s been Dunstan! I reckon he could be our guy!

felix

Re: Dunstan should be our next skipper

Agree he looks like the next in line hopefully next year.

He's not ready yet, but I think he will be our next skipper and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Saint wagga wrote:This guy is a leader! Why he wasn’t selected at the start of the season...add it to the list of head scratching howlers by our footy dept.

As indicated in a great article about that infamous loss to port adelaide last year, he is right in amongst it as a leader not by title but he’s the spiritual leader of our post grand final near miss era. A real go to guy for all our young guys and I get the feeling he and Blake are at the core of our young playing list. Dunstan shows emotion on the field, good and bad, you can tell he is an emotional guy and we need some emotion, some real spirit to lift the club out of this blip...is it a blip, a dip, a blippi dip?

Anyway, I just have a gut feeling that in this horrible start to the year, you look for who’s risen amongst the rabble, it hadn’t been Newnes, Ross...it’s been Dunstan! I reckon he could be our guy!
Pretty sure he has had captaincy experience at under age level as well!!!!!

The thing with the leadership positions is, the playing group nominate, so Luke will have to impress them as well as the coaches etc!!!!!

Milne

It's interesting how quickly we've gone from "Dunstan is useless" to "Dunstan is future captain material".

Just goes to show we shouldn't be as quick to write off some of our players as we have been.

I think he may have captained the U/18 SA side in the championships. Definately has leadership qualities and I said a couple of years back that he could be a future skipper. He is still young though (only 23 I believe) so no rush just yet. Maybe he should take over from Geary in 1-2 years.

Milne wrote:It's interesting how quickly we've gone from "Dunstan is useless" to "Dunstan is future captain material".

Just goes to show we shouldn't be as quick to write off some of our players as we have been.
Yes. I have said this repeadetly on here regarding younger players.

People were talking the same garbage about guys like Seb Ross and Jack Steven back in the day. They are doing the same with Gresham, Paddy and Long for example now. These kids take time people! Its that simple!

Also got the RSEA Workhorse of the week. Good work Dunny.
http://m.saints.com.au/news/2018-04-17/ ... ek-round-4

Dunstan is not in our best 22 week in and week out. I have written before that he usually has one great game, one ok game then a bad one and gets dropped. that is not what you want in a captain

I would make Coffield captain nest year if he keeps playing the way he currently is. Yes he is young but he has already been a captain of the Northern nights so he has experience, he inspires with his play, he is calm under pressure and already looks like an AFL player. Most importantly he is good and most likely will get even better, and we are desperate to keep any talent we have. Make him captain next year and he will stay and try even harder and make those around him lift

DJ Higgins wrote:Dunstan is not in our best 22 week in and week out. I have written before that he usually has one great game, one ok game then a bad one and gets dropped. that is not what you want in a captain

I would make Coffield captain nest year if he keeps playing the way he currently is. Yes he is young but he has already been a captain of the Northern nights so he has experience, he inspires with his play, he is calm under pressure and already looks like an AFL player. Most importantly he is good and most likely will get even better, and we are desperate to keep any talent we have. Make him captain next year and he will stay and try even harder and make those around him lift
You carnt be serious Drake?????

Milne

DJ Higgins wrote:
I would make Coffield captain nest year if he keeps playing the way he currently is.
lolwut?

stonecold wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:This guy is a leader! Why he wasn’t selected at the start of the season...add it to the list of head scratching howlers by our footy dept.

Pretty sure he has had captaincy experience at under age level as well!!!!!

The thing with the leadership positions is, the playing group nominate, so Luke will have to impress them as well as the coaches etc!!!!!

Captain Sth Aussie under 18s from memory.

stonecold wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:Dunstan is not in our best 22 week in and week out. I have written before that he usually has one great game, one ok game then a bad one and gets dropped. that is not what you want in a captain

You carnt be serious Drake?????
Hook. Line. Sinker.
Hammer. Nail. Head.

Yeah you got me. things were getting too serious so I thought I would lighten the mood.

FYI I am not Drake. Seriously same surname but that's it.

The forum genius has come up with a theory and his intellectually equivalent partner in crime corroborates

I conclude we have found SS version of dumb and dumber

Stuv, Armo, Newnes and Ross may have all been given the captaincy along with Gears, if the club adopted a rotating or dual captains role years ago. Instead we had a club talking about the future and only worrying about the now.

I read on another thread that the trading in of Nathan Brown and Koby Stevens was probably an indication that the club thought they were more advanced than their ladder posistion or their results were indicating. We should have been focussing to continue and advancie the rebuild but instead there was impatience and short term goals to make finals.

One thing that may benefit the leaders and is positive going forward with the team struggling onfield, is that it will build resilience and make them stronger

you do know dunny has been our best in basically every game of the last eight he has played? he was given no development time at sandy for three years, even when returning from injury and surgery, has captained before at state level, and you'd choose someone in his place who has played 2 games?
And yeah, got hooked, stupid me. deserve to leave it here as a humble reminder :oops:

Sooner rather than later.

I'd also bring Rice in to the side. He is 21. Ready to go.
We need to start phasing Geary out of the side now.
He had a good long run but he has had his day.

Con Gorozidis wrote:Sooner rather than later.

Get off the gear mate!!!!!

Gears still got a good 10 seasons left mate!!!!! :wink:

desertsaint wrote: you do know dunny has been our best in basically every game of the last eight he has played? he was given no development time at sandy for three years, even when returning from injury and surgery, has captained before at state level, and you'd choose someone in his place who has played 2 games?
And yeah, got hooked, stupid me. deserve to leave it here as a humble reminder :oops:

Hahaha. It was just a joke. Things have been a bit to dour at moment so I thought I would lighten the mood. Maybe in a few year after he has played more than 2 games. :lol:

DJ Higgins wrote:Yeah you got me. things were getting too serious so I thought I would lighten the mood.

FYI I am not Drake. Seriously same surname but that's it.
Higgins, Huggins, Hoggin's, Cousins, it's all the same!!!!! :wink:

DJ Higgins wrote:
desertsaint wrote: you do know dunny has been our best in basically every game of the last eight he has played? he was given no development time at sandy for three years, even when returning from injury and surgery, has captained before at state level, and you'd choose someone in his place who has played 2 games?

Hahaha. It was just a joke. Things have been a bit to dour at moment so I thought I would lighten the mood. Maybe in a few year after he has played more than 2 games. :lol:
i know. got me! all good. went down better than poor old mickey's, pity he didn't understand.

Not a bad future prospect I admit, probably the most promising option of our younger players.

While he's in good form at the moment, at various points last season he was barely averaging 15 disposals and not in our best 22, so he probably needs two strong years before being in contention.

Geary should play back pocket, should not leave defensive 50 and should have a handball to kick ratio of 10:1
He is a good lockdown of small forwards, that’s his lot in afl life, he is very good at it but for f*** sake coaches, he is not a rebounding defender

Geary should play back pocket, should not leave defensive 50 and should have a handball to kick ratio of 10:1
He is a good lockdown of small forwards, that’s his lot in afl life, he is very good at it but for f*** sake coaches, he is not a rebounding defender