Dunstan should be our next skipper

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Dunstan should be our next skipper

This guy is a leader! Why he wasn’t selected at the start of the season...add it to the list of head scratching howlers by our footy dept.

As indicated in a great article about that infamous loss to port adelaide last year, he is right in amongst it as a leader not by title but he’s the spiritual leader of our post grand final near miss era. A real go to guy for all our young guys and I get the feeling he and Blake are at the core of our young playing list. Dunstan shows emotion on the field, good and bad, you can tell he is an emotional guy and we need some emotion, some real spirit to lift the club out of this blip...is it a blip, a dip, a blippi dip?

Anyway, I just have a gut feeling that in this horrible start to the year, you look for who’s risen amongst the rabble, it hadn’t been Newnes, Ross...it’s been Dunstan! I reckon he could be our guy!

felix
Club Player

Re: Dunstan should be our next skipper

Agree he looks like the next in line hopefully next year.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

He's not ready yet, but I think he will be our next skipper and hopefully sooner rather than later.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:This guy is a leader! Why he wasn’t selected at the start of the season...add it to the list of head scratching howlers by our footy dept.

As indicated in a great article about that infamous loss to port adelaide last year, he is right in amongst it as a leader not by title but he’s the spiritual leader of our post grand final near miss era. A real go to guy for all our young guys and I get the feeling he and Blake are at the core of our young playing list. Dunstan shows emotion on the field, good and bad, you can tell he is an emotional guy and we need some emotion, some real spirit to lift the club out of this blip...is it a blip, a dip, a blippi dip?

Anyway, I just have a gut feeling that in this horrible start to the year, you look for who’s risen amongst the rabble, it hadn’t been Newnes, Ross...it’s been Dunstan! I reckon he could be our guy!
Pretty sure he has had captaincy experience at under age level as well!!!!!

The thing with the leadership positions is, the playing group nominate, so Luke will have to impress them as well as the coaches etc!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Milne
Club Player

It's interesting how quickly we've gone from "Dunstan is useless" to "Dunstan is future captain material".

Just goes to show we shouldn't be as quick to write off some of our players as we have been.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I think he may have captained the U/18 SA side in the championships. Definately has leadership qualities and I said a couple of years back that he could be a future skipper. He is still young though (only 23 I believe) so no rush just yet. Maybe he should take over from Geary in 1-2 years.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Milne wrote:It's interesting how quickly we've gone from "Dunstan is useless" to "Dunstan is future captain material".

Just goes to show we shouldn't be as quick to write off some of our players as we have been.
Yes. I have said this repeadetly on here regarding younger players.

People were talking the same garbage about guys like Seb Ross and Jack Steven back in the day. They are doing the same with Gresham, Paddy and Long for example now. These kids take time people! Its that simple!

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Also got the RSEA Workhorse of the week. Good work Dunny.
http://m.saints.com.au/news/2018-04-17/ ... ek-round-4

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Dunstan is not in our best 22 week in and week out. I have written before that he usually has one great game, one ok game then a bad one and gets dropped. that is not what you want in a captain

I would make Coffield captain nest year if he keeps playing the way he currently is. Yes he is young but he has already been a captain of the Northern nights so he has experience, he inspires with his play, he is calm under pressure and already looks like an AFL player. Most importantly he is good and most likely will get even better, and we are desperate to keep any talent we have. Make him captain next year and he will stay and try even harder and make those around him lift

stonecold
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote:Dunstan is not in our best 22 week in and week out. I have written before that he usually has one great game, one ok game then a bad one and gets dropped. that is not what you want in a captain

I would make Coffield captain nest year if he keeps playing the way he currently is. Yes he is young but he has already been a captain of the Northern nights so he has experience, he inspires with his play, he is calm under pressure and already looks like an AFL player. Most importantly he is good and most likely will get even better, and we are desperate to keep any talent we have. Make him captain next year and he will stay and try even harder and make those around him lift
You carnt be serious Drake?????

Milne
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:
I would make Coffield captain nest year if he keeps playing the way he currently is.
lolwut?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:This guy is a leader! Why he wasn’t selected at the start of the season...add it to the list of head scratching howlers by our footy dept.

Pretty sure he has had captaincy experience at under age level as well!!!!!

The thing with the leadership positions is, the playing group nominate, so Luke will have to impress them as well as the coaches etc!!!!!

Captain Sth Aussie under 18s from memory.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:Dunstan is not in our best 22 week in and week out. I have written before that he usually has one great game, one ok game then a bad one and gets dropped. that is not what you want in a captain

You carnt be serious Drake?????
Hook. Line. Sinker.
Hammer. Nail. Head.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Yeah you got me. things were getting too serious so I thought I would lighten the mood.

FYI I am not Drake. Seriously same surname but that's it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The forum genius has come up with a theory and his intellectually equivalent partner in crime corroborates

I conclude we have found SS version of dumb and dumber

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Stuv, Armo, Newnes and Ross may have all been given the captaincy along with Gears, if the club adopted a rotating or dual captains role years ago. Instead we had a club talking about the future and only worrying about the now.

I read on another thread that the trading in of Nathan Brown and Koby Stevens was probably an indication that the club thought they were more advanced than their ladder posistion or their results were indicating. We should have been focussing to continue and advancie the rebuild but instead there was impatience and short term goals to make finals.

One thing that may benefit the leaders and is positive going forward with the team struggling onfield, is that it will build resilience and make them stronger

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

you do know dunny has been our best in basically every game of the last eight he has played? he was given no development time at sandy for three years, even when returning from injury and surgery, has captained before at state level, and you'd choose someone in his place who has played 2 games?
And yeah, got hooked, stupid me. deserve to leave it here as a humble reminder :oops:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sooner rather than later.

I'd also bring Rice in to the side. He is 21. Ready to go.
We need to start phasing Geary out of the side now.
He had a good long run but he has had his day.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Sooner rather than later.

Get off the gear mate!!!!!

Gears still got a good 10 seasons left mate!!!!! :wink:

DJ Higgins
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: you do know dunny has been our best in basically every game of the last eight he has played? he was given no development time at sandy for three years, even when returning from injury and surgery, has captained before at state level, and you'd choose someone in his place who has played 2 games?
And yeah, got hooked, stupid me. deserve to leave it here as a humble reminder :oops:

Hahaha. It was just a joke. Things have been a bit to dour at moment so I thought I would lighten the mood. Maybe in a few year after he has played more than 2 games. :lol:

stonecold
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote:Yeah you got me. things were getting too serious so I thought I would lighten the mood.

FYI I am not Drake. Seriously same surname but that's it.
Higgins, Huggins, Hoggin's, Cousins, it's all the same!!!!! :wink:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
desertsaint wrote: you do know dunny has been our best in basically every game of the last eight he has played? he was given no development time at sandy for three years, even when returning from injury and surgery, has captained before at state level, and you'd choose someone in his place who has played 2 games?

Hahaha. It was just a joke. Things have been a bit to dour at moment so I thought I would lighten the mood. Maybe in a few year after he has played more than 2 games. :lol:
i know. got me! all good. went down better than poor old mickey's, pity he didn't understand.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Not a bad future prospect I admit, probably the most promising option of our younger players.

While he's in good form at the moment, at various points last season he was barely averaging 15 disposals and not in our best 22, so he probably needs two strong years before being in contention.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Saint wagga
Club Player

Geary should play back pocket, should not leave defensive 50 and should have a handball to kick ratio of 10:1
He is a good lockdown of small forwards, that’s his lot in afl life, he is very good at it but for f*** sake coaches, he is not a rebounding defender

Saint wagga
Club Player

Geary should play back pocket, should not leave defensive 50 and should have a handball to kick ratio of 10:1
He is a good lockdown of small forwards, that’s his lot in afl life, he is very good at it but for f*** sake coaches, he is not a rebounding defender