Dal Santo on attack as Saints make a stand

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Dal Santo on attack as Saints make a stand

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-16/d ... ke-a-stand

Really interesting read by an astute former player who has no agenda and is probably making a genuine and frank assessment.

People on this forum have the right to ask hard questions of Richo, given our form, however some of the vitriol is disgusting and the "just sack him" line is of no use.

I can understand him sticking to his guns for a few matches, you just don't immediately give up on something if it doesn't work initially. However, it appears our issues maybe structural, Dal isn't the first to touch on that and I'd be interested to hear Roo's opinion. So Richo might need to write off current structures as a failure, move on and try something different. Tony74 has dropped hints of substantial changes and I don't think he meant personnel changes which are a given.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Dal Santo on attack as Saints make a stand

Linton Lodger wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-16/d ... ke-a-stand

Really interesting read by an astute former player who has no agenda and is probably making a genuine and frank assessment.

People on this forum have the right to ask hard questions of Richo, given our form, however some of the vitriol is disgusting and the "just sack him" line is of no use.

I can understand him sticking to his guns for a few matches, you just don't immediately give up on something if it doesn't work initially. However, it appears our issues maybe structural, Dal isn't the first to touch on that and I'd be interested to hear Roo's opinion. So Richo might need to write off current structures as a failure, move on and try something different. Tony74 has dropped hints of substantial changes and I don't think he meant personnel changes which are a given.
Saints are getting enough of the footy, winning stoppages and clearances but our inside 50's, general disposal (at times) and bad goal kicking is killing us! Maybe our structures aren't working either in our forward half. Its pretty clear. Players don't seem to be playing with alot of freedom and quick ball movement. They aren't taking the game on enough either. Things need to change quickly. We were looking very good the past couple of years when we did this.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Everything is fine. We're going gangbusters. It's only a matter of time before we turn it around and play off in the GF. Just ask the blue skiers !

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IF we had a competent coach it wouldn’t take two shyteful JLT games, three dispirited performances in a row, plus a diabolical final 6 weeks last year to work this out.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

You're a disgrace, SP! How dare you question our amazingly competent coaching staff. It's all under control and on track. Just ask Porkey Sainter.

<warning for baiting>

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
stonecold
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:You're a disgrace, SP! How dare you question our amazingly competent coaching staff. It's all under control and on track. Just ask Porkey Sainter.
You have come back from your holiday upset?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Just realistic, commoncold!

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:

IF we had a competent coach it wouldn’t take two shyteful JLT games, three dispirited performances in a row, plus a diabolical final 6 weeks last year to work this out.
I actually don't think we're playing the same way as last year and things have been exacerbated by the retirements of Roo and Joey, particularly their leadership.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Warning for the DH (Drake Huggins) and the LF (little fella) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome back boys!

Got to say it is time to seriously consider the coaching set up.
I have been supportive of Richo all the was through, including last year as part of the building phase.

But, comments made on the weekend such as "we have too many out of form" worry me.
As Ross Lyon would say, we deal in patterns not in isolated incidents and the pattern of play, seeming lack of game plan and reluctance to make change is of concern.

Who is to blame for so many being out of form?
Is it preparation? Is it confusion? Is there too much instruction and rigidity?
I don't have a clue, but I do know there is a pattern and there seems to be no end in sight at the moment.

Surely the club cannot persist with Richo beyond this season unless he can turn things around.

I pity the poor bloke having to appear on 360 tonight.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:

Actually, it took Alaister Clarkson longer to work it out last year. They sputtered at the end of 2016, and were crap for the better part of the first half of last season and Clarkson is a genius.

Crossy66
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:Everything is fine. We're going gangbusters. It's only a matter of time before we turn it around and play off in the GF. Just ask the blue skiers !
I dont think i am a blue skier but i just dont think we are that bad. I think the playing group is way more talented than results indicate.
In Richo's presser, he stated that 90% of Geelongs goals came directly from Saints turnovers and at the other end, we couldnt couldn't kick straight.
On top of this we won several key stats including clearances and contested possession.
Seems to me if we kick straight and stop turning the ball over we will be a chance in a lot of games. Also think the game plan and structures are contributing to the turnovers with low skilled players trying to nail precision kicks out of the backline and mids seeing nothing on when they look forward of the ball.

Dont get me wrong, we look miles away from it, but surely none of this couldnt be turned around in a week.
tweek the game plan and a week of kicking practice and select players who can execute properly.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:Just realistic, commoncold!
Do you have to refer to me as that name?????

I find it offensive!!!!!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
Don't get sucked in too much Stonecold and welcome back. Otherwise, you are playing into the vulture's mouths. They are like buzzards on carrion.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Nobody wants to sack him mindlessly.
We want a full blown independent review of the admin, playing list and footy department.

By independent I mean no holds barred external people with some footy experts who aren't in any way connected with the current regime.

This is what I have been advocating for for months.

The club won't do it because they are terrified of the result.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 16 Apr 2018 4:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

stonecold
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote:
stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
Don't get sucked in too much Stonecold and welcome back. Otherwise, you are playing into the vulture's mouths. They are like buzzards on carrion.
All good Parky's, just playing a straight bat and expressing the fact that I would prefer to be referred to by my correct user, if Drake doesn't acknowledge my request, then that's up to him/her and I am entitled to put in a compliant!!!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
Parkey and stone cold want their s*** little snake oil regime to continue.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
Parkey and stone cold want their s*** little snake oil regime to continue.
????? Con?????

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

i'm getting flu shots...
but to get rid of the 'commoncold', I eat lots of fruit
and also put the Piece of S*** in my 'foe' list
(although if somebody quotes him, i can see it)

<warning for abuse>

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
stonecold
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:
i'm getting flu shots...
but to get rid of the 'commoncold', I eat lots of fruit
and also put the Piece of S*** in my 'foe' list
(although if somebody quotes him, i can see it)
Charming, nice to see your still aligned to WW!!!!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Actually, it took Alaister Clarkson longer to work it out last year. They sputtered at the end of 2016, and were crap for the better part of the first half of last season and Clarkson is a genius.
Well that's when it went diabolical - warning signs were there earlier in the year. Yes, Clarko is a genius - look at the Hawks now.....can you imagine Richo doing what Clarko has done recently??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Dal Santo also said, during the match, that we had too many inside midfielders (and can only fit so many in the side at a time). It's obviously a problem our recruiters have created.
We needed to recruit in a balanced way - it's not only about choosing player X over player Y - balance is very important.
Our recruiters should go - just for this. The sooner the better.
Other sides have left us behind - as they have recruited to their team's needs and with their team's balance in mind. Our recruiters can't even get the basics right.

oldie60
Club Player

I think Richo complicates everything and there are times the players are all out of position meaning they really don't understand or feel constrained by what they had to do. He mentioned this on a couple of occasions last season about taking the game on not playing for survival and protection. At the moment they can't even do that. Its as if they are stifled and have forgotten how to play.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

samoht wrote:Dal Santo also said, during the match, that we had too many inside midfielders (and can only fit so many in the side at a time). It's obviously a problem our recruiters have created.
We needed to recruit in a balanced way - it's not only about choosing player X over player Y - balance is very important.
Our recruiters should go - just for this. The sooner the better.
Other sides have left us behind - as they have recruited to their team's needs and with their team's balance in mind. Our recruiters can't even get the basics right.
Correct, too many insiders. They need to run Billings and Gresham through the midfield, give it some skill and flair. I think Gresham is itching to get into the middle.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Well that's when it went diabolical - warning signs were there earlier in the year. Yes, Clarko is a genius - look at the Hawks now.....can you imagine Richo doing what Clarko has done recently??
Clarkson had to overhaul their gameplan mid-season, they were just as uncompetitive as we have been for about the first 10 weeks. Richo may need to do the same, he may not have a choice.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

But there is one thing missing

A schnitzel session