We have to thrash Brisbane AND North......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

We have to thrash Brisbane AND North......

Postby saintspremiers » Mon 12 Mar 2018 6:05pm

It’s useful but not that helpful if we have sloppy wins in our first 2 rounds.

A lot of us simply want the 4 points, but consecutive thumpings in the first two weeks would do wonders for our club.
It would instill some confidence, but also send a message to the comp that we may be coming of age.

I really believe to make the eight, and hence gain momentum, big wins early are vital this year.
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: We have to thrash Brisbane AND North......

Postby SaintPav » Mon 12 Mar 2018 7:01pm

Didn't do us any good against Richmond.

I'd prefer we had a good hit out and won by around by 7-10 goals.

100 point thrashings just means the other team has given up and can be very misleading.
Bernie Lomax would be the perfect coach, except for one small problem: He's dead.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Postby desertsaint » Mon 12 Mar 2018 7:04pm

two wins will do. build from that.
"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Postby saintspremiers » Tue 13 Mar 2018 8:00am

SaintPav wrote:Didn't do us any good against Richmond.

100 point thrashings just means the other team has given up and can be very misleading.

10 goals is a thrashing.
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Postby SaintPav » Tue 13 Mar 2018 8:03am

saintspremiers wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Didn't do us any good against Richmond.

10 goals is a thrashing.

Cool
Bernie Lomax would be the perfect coach, except for one small problem: He's dead.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Postby dragit » Tue 13 Mar 2018 8:47am

Riewoldt and Montagna carried us to a win against Brisbane last year, I wouldn't expect a win against them in round one like most did last year against Melbourne in round 1.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Postby prwilkinson » Tue 13 Mar 2018 11:37am

We’ll run into match fitness and form against Brisbane and have a day out on Good Friday in front of a huge television audience against the Kangas.
I can see the Saturday Herald Sun back page now... ‘A Saintly Good Friday’ or something of that nature.
prwilkinson
Club Player

Postby evertonfc » Tue 13 Mar 2018 3:52pm

Good first post. We need to thrash the opposition if we're going to grow belief.
Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Postby saynta » Tue 13 Mar 2018 6:40pm

Thrash Brisbane? Unlikely imho. They are an up and coming side. A win will do me.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... e4728a8d9a

Brisbane Lions are ready to roar again with the best young list in the AFL, writes David King

JUST like the Bitcoin phenomenon, it is only a matter of when, not if, the Brisbane Lions arrive.

Chris Fagan also likes to remain as anonymous as the Bitcoin founders, but he has a code of his own. A Lions culture that demands honesty and professionalism.

It’s time for the Lions’ investment in youth to start to pay dividends. In the past four seasons they have given their national draft selections more games than any other team, and by some margin – over 100 games more than Melbourne, which ranks second.

The excitement around the six players picked inside the draft’s top 20 in the past two seasons is palpable.

The Brisbane Lions have the best young list in the competition.

Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Alex Witherden (a steal at No.23 in the 2016 draft) are all yet to play 20 games and will become a major part of their midfield.

An immediate midfield/forward opportunity is there for Cameron Rayner, the nation’s best junior, with the departure of Tom Rockliff.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Postby Jacks Back » Tue 13 Mar 2018 10:52pm

Two big wins in the first two rounds will see us on top of the ladder. It will all be downhill from there.... Although I think we can make the 8 this year.
As president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Postby saintspremiers » Wed 14 Mar 2018 10:01am

saynta wrote:Thrash Brisbane? Unlikely imho. They are an up and coming side. A win will do me.

Brisbane Lions are ready to roar again with the best young list in the AFL, writes David King

JUST like the Bitcoin phenomenon, it is only a matter of when, not if, the Brisbane Lions arrive.

Chris Fagan also likes to remain as anonymous as the Bitcoin founders, but he has a code of his own. A Lions culture that demands honesty and professionalism.

It’s time for the Lions’ investment in youth to start to pay dividends. In the past four seasons they have given their national draft selections more games than any other team, and by some margin – over 100 games more than Melbourne, which ranks second.

The excitement around the six players picked inside the draft’s top 20 in the past two seasons is palpable.

Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Alex Witherden (a steal at No.23 in the 2016 draft) are all yet to play 20 games and will become a major part of their midfield.

An immediate midfield/forward opportunity is there for Cameron Rayner, the nation’s best junior, with the departure of Tom Rockliff.

I paused reading after “David King” and then stopped completely after “Bitcoin”
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Postby The Fireman » Wed 14 Mar 2018 7:09pm

I think we need to lose the first 2 to give the rest a false sense of security
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Postby degruch » Thu 15 Mar 2018 2:44pm

saintspremiers wrote:
saynta wrote:Thrash Brisbane? Unlikely imho. They are an up and coming side. A win will do me.

I paused reading after “David King” and then stopped completely after “Bitcoin”

LOL...+1. What a nimrod he is.

Anyways, I don't care if we thrash or not. Anything can happen early in the year before teams are up and running (or conversely, when they've peaked too soon), one point+ will suffice, bank it and move on.
SaintPav wrote:It's a cliche now piss off you snot nose ignoramus.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Postby Drake Huggins » Thu 15 Mar 2018 4:00pm

Just win, for goodness sake. With the competition being as even as it it, I'd hope to just bank the 4 points in each game and move on. I believe we could upset the Crows in round 3. If that was to happen, I'd be reinforcing the axels on the bandwagon.
"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Postby spert » Thu 15 Mar 2018 8:04pm

Richo's game plan( if 2017 is anything to go by) is for the team to be lethargic in the first quarter and get beaten by the eventual full time margin, but in the meantime, get the team to run around for three quarters like headless chickens and try to catch up.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Postby Zed » Thu 15 Mar 2018 11:05pm

2 must win games. Lots on here saying our pre season form not important and we will be all good come Round 1. I think we should win both but I’m not brimming with confidence.

Round 3 against the Crows will be the moment of truth. They have repeatedly thrashed us in recent years. If we lose by more than 5 goals then we will not play finals.

If we lose either R1 or R2 and someone comes on here and tells us it’s nothing to worry about then they should get an automatic 4 week ban.
St Kilda - its character building.
Zed
Club Player

Postby jays » Fri 16 Mar 2018 3:22pm

win them easy 30+ each one ImageImage
ImageImage
jays
Club Player

Postby dragit » Sat 31 Mar 2018 3:09pm

How's this going?
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Postby Con Gorozidis » Sat 31 Mar 2018 3:17pm

Hubris anyone?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Postby desertsaint » Sat 31 Mar 2018 4:33pm

desertsaint wrote:two wins will do. build from that.

if only.
"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)