Sack the Coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sack the Coach

Like them or not, they all have, or had ideas on what might be the best decisions at the time and in the Saints case, a lot of it hasn't worked, as we haven't won a premiership for decades. The combination of coach, recruitment and players has often been wrong. Some coaches , recruiters etc are sometimes not up to the job in front of them, although they give it their best shot.

The success of the Cats, Footscray and Richmond has been due to a big effort from club leaderships- from the President down of the clubs to put pressure on the coaches and the mindset of the playing groups. Costa was ruthless with his directives at Geelong back in 2007, Smorgon and co. knew they need a better coach who could communicate with the playing group, and didn't flounder- they went and got who they wanted, and the President and board at Richmond really drove the point home with Hardwick who needed to change his focus and mindset to get success. Seems like our mob are a collective wet blanket so far.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Still can't believe this thread made 126 posts and counting...all on the eve of a brand new season. :mrgreen:

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Drake Huggins
Club Player

My "hate" for Richardson And Elshaug is your interpretation, presented as fact. I don't hate anyone. I do hold him contempt because of his poor record,relative to the resources he's had at his disposal and the advantageous picks he's wasted. He's in the motions of ruining our rebuild. Make no mistake, we need another three years of early draft picks, effectively executed for our rebuild to come anywhere near the stated aims. How much longer do you wait?

As for AR, I don't hate him. I don't know him. I just think after what we've seen he won't be taking us to a flag. I also disagree with his two year extension, because, quite frankly his results don't justify it. In his defence, he has been let down by the recruiters.

I find your ability to misrepresent me and continue to defend yourself with what you pass off as facts. I don't know what knowing John Beveridge has to do with anything. I will certainly bet you I know him better than you do. Another irrelevancy designed to distract from the issue, an unfortunate habit you have. Your inability to acknowledge facts, hand out warnings for things that obviously have nothing to do with the good governance of this site and are clearly rooted in your personal likes and dislikes, is what is truly worrying.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I wouldnt want AR sacked, certainly not at this stage.
However, to extend him two years based on results so far is truly astonishing and bordering on mismanagement.

takeaway
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:My "hate" for Richardson And Elshaug is your interpretation, presented as fact. I don't hate anyone. I do hold him contempt because of his poor record,relative to the resources he's had at his disposal and the advantageous picks he's wasted. He's in the motions of ruining our rebuild. Make no mistake, we need another three years of early draft picks, effectively executed for our rebuild to come anywhere near the stated aims. How much longer do you wait?

As for AR, I don't hate him. I don't know him. I just think after what we've seen he won't be taking us to a flag. I also disagree with his two year extension, because, quite frankly his results don't justify it. In his defence, he has been let down by the recruiters.

I find your ability to misrepresent me and continue to defend yourself with what you pass off as facts. I don't know what knowing John Beveridge has to do with anything. I will certainly bet you I know him better than you do. Another irrelevancy designed to distract from the issue, an unfortunate habit you have. Your inability to acknowledge facts, hand out warnings for things that obviously have nothing to do with the good governance of this site and are clearly rooted in your personal likes and dislikes, is what is truly worrying.

I wouldn't worry about arguing with ol'DH any more, BFUSA. He has gone down his rambling road and won't come back. I think your logic and rational comments are getting to him though, as the last sentence above is absolute rubbish, has nothing to do with the topic in hand, and seems like a Mitch Marsh curse uttered when trudging off the field after being clean bowled.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sack the Coach..or.. Coach the Sack!

loris
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Sack the Coach..or.. Coach the Sack!
Maybe, just maybe, the "sad sacks" :wink: :wink:

Drake Huggins
Club Player

takeaway wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:My "hate" for Richardson And Elshaug is your interpretation, presented as fact. I don't hate anyone. I do hold him contempt because of his poor record,relative to the resources he's had at his disposal and the advantageous picks he's wasted. He's in the motions of ruining our rebuild. Make no mistake, we need another three years of early draft picks, effectively executed for our rebuild to come anywhere near the stated aims. How much longer do you wait?

I wouldn't worry about arguing with ol'DH any more, BFUSA. He has gone down his rambling road and won't come back. I think your logic and rational comments are getting to him though, as the last sentence above is absolute rubbish, has nothing to do with the topic in hand, and seems like a Mitch Marsh curse uttered when trudging off the field after being clean bowled.
Like your nick. Tasteless, unsatisfying and lacking in value for money and flavour. Bad for your health. Good to see your confirmation bias at work. I think, like your good self, takeaway, old BFUSA as with most people who run things, he doesn't take well to criticism. Ask those he's unfairly warned. Not you of course. You have a mortgage on kissing up to him. You must be very proud of yourself. Top of the class! Or is that arse?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
takeaway
Club Player

You are assuming my nick was created to relate to food. It was not. But whatever takes your fancy. Actually I have previously received a warning from BFUSA. Tut tut.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

takeaway wrote:You are assuming my nick was created to relate to food. It was not. But whatever takes your fancy. Actually I have previously received a warning from BFUSA. Tut tut.
Just congratulating you on the accuracy of your nice name.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Nick name.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Nick name.
Did you know they are going to takeaway Huggins?

....in fact, demolish it!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
groupie1
Club Player

Dudes... here's some facts to consider:

RL refused to bring in Ben Cousins who would have gotten us a second flag. FACT.
RL got Andrew Lovett and Brett Peake. Lovett was worth the risk, nobody's fault it didn't work out. Peake was a f****** retard.
The club persists with its commitment to topping up with shiite... a legacy of the RL era.
Clarkson tops up with Burgoyne. We top up with Hickey, Peake, that bald mother fucker from the WCE who played in the forward line (who I kinda liked, but he was kinda s***).
Saints were WEAK letting Goddard go.
Saints were s*** letting NDS go. Awful decision. 300 game player, loved the club. Fucktard decision.
Poorly handled retirements of guns like Baker.
And the culture of topping up with s***.

Years ago they needed to follow a new model, a gutsy model: throw 10-year contracts around and snag a few underpaid Swans: Hannebury, Parker... go get a Naitinui. Make D Martin an offer he can't refuse (back end the mother and pay for it down the track).

HANDS DOWN, the best decisions we've made in the past 20 years were picking Sam Fisher and being aggressive in getting J Carlisle. The M Gardiner decision also deserves a mention here. It is those acts of pure bravery and vision that get you somewhere. Snapping up a post-Gatoride Saad and that f*** awful defender from North Melbourne.

Good clubs make brave decisions. I like the Lovett decision - it couldda won us a flag. I like the Freeman decision. I liked the Gwilt decision (both of them, coming and going). Boldly letting players go that the right club at the right time will pay overs for is the way to go.

We learned that bottming out and not winning games for a couple yrs pays massive dividends. Nobody was so scarred after the early naughties that our super rise up in 04 and 05 couldn't happen the way it did. BE PREPARED TO PLAY A SEASON WITHOUT A WIN AND FINISH LAST. BE PREPARED TO REST BILLINGS AND STEVEN AFTER HALF WAY THRU A YEAR WHEN WE'RE CLEARLY NOWHERE NEAR IT AND THEY NEED GAME REST AND TRAINING TIME... I think we are all actually frustrated with the same thing - conservatisism.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

You really are a s*** poster that just rambles and makes no sense.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
spert wrote:Sack the Coach..or.. Coach the Sack!
Maybe, just maybe, the "sad sacks" :wink: :wink:
hey leave me out of this....

Drake Huggins
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:

You really are a s*** poster that just rambles and makes no sense.
You are my role model.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

groupie1 wrote:Dudes... here's some facts to consider:

RL refused to bring in Ben Cousins who would have gotten us a second flag. FACT.
RL got Andrew Lovett and Brett Peake. Lovett was worth the risk, nobody's fault it didn't work out. Peake was a f****** retard.
The club persists with its commitment to topping up with shiite... a legacy of the RL era.
Clarkson tops up with Burgoyne. We top up with Hickey, Peake, that bald mother fucker from the WCE who played in the forward line (who I kinda liked, but he was kinda s***).
Saints were s*** letting NDS go. Awful decision. 300 game player, loved the club. Fucktard decision.

Years ago they needed to follow a new model, a gutsy model: throw 10-year contracts around and snag a few underpaid Swans: Hannebury, Parker... go get a Naitinui. Make D Martin an offer he can't refuse (back end the mother and pay for it down the track).

HANDS DOWN, the best decisions we've made in the past 20 years were picking Sam Fisher and being aggressive in getting J Carlisle. The M Gardiner decision also deserves a mention here. It is those acts of pure bravery and vision that get you somewhere. Snapping up a post-Gatoride Saad and that f*** awful defender from North Melbourne.

Good clubs make brave decisions. I like the Lovett decision - it couldda won us a flag. I like the Freeman decision. I liked the Gwilt decision (both of them, coming and going). Boldly letting players go that the right club at the right time will pay overs for is the way to go.

We learned that bottming out and not winning games for a couple yrs pays massive dividends. Nobody was so scarred after the early naughties that our super rise up in 04 and 05 couldn't happen the way it did. BE PREPARED TO PLAY A SEASON WITHOUT A WIN AND FINISH LAST. BE PREPARED TO REST BILLINGS AND STEVEN AFTER HALF WAY THRU A YEAR WHEN WE'RE CLEARLY NOWHERE NEAR IT AND THEY NEED GAME REST AND TRAINING TIME... I think we are all actually frustrated with the same thing - conservatisism.
Read this, takeaway, BFUSA and magnifisaint. Some very ugly reality for you, although it's best you don't look as your sensibilities will no doubt Be offended, dare I say, you'll be triggered as your kind tend to be. All of it laid out for you in ugly technicolor. Some of it down to the RL regime. The only difference is that regime was the second most successful in the club's history. This regime is in danger of becoming another victim of the St.Kilda "Bermuda Triangle". Set to disappear without a trace. We miss the finals again and we'll have had the second worst run of missing finals going back to 1960, when the mighty Yab took over. Only the dreaded 80's will have been worse. I'll be interested to see how you spin this one, BFUSA. As for your cheer squad of two, I won't even bother explaining it.

The lesson? Be bold, honour your champions and take risks. None of which applies to the current regime.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:

Read this, takeaway, BFUSA and magnifisaint. Some very ugly reality for you, although it's best you don't look as your sensibilities will no doubt Be offended, dare I say, you'll be triggered as your kind tend to be. All of it laid out for you in ugly technicolor. Some of it down to the RL regime. The only difference is that regime was the second most successful in the club's history. This regime is in danger of becoming another victim of the St.Kilda "Bermuda Triangle". Set to disappear without a trace. We miss the finals again and we'll have had the second worst run of missing finals going back to 1960, when the mighty Yab took over. Only the dreaded 80's will have been worse. I'll be interested to see how you spin this one, BFUSA. As for your cheer squad of two, I won't even bother explaining it.

The lesson? Be bold, honour your champions and take risks. None of which applies to the current regime.
Drake Huggins - 90% of this post relates to events and examples prior to 2014 when Richardson took over 4 footy seasons ago and we started the rebuild. The one comment here that relates to the rebuild appears to be an endorsement of the Carlisle recruitment. Yes it is a call to be bold in our recruiting and trading and drafting and I believe they are doing that quite strategically. I concede that we didn’t land a big fish this off season but the price would have been 2 first round draft picks and I am quite happy with Clark and Coffield. Not the ideal outcome but it could turn out very well. As for honouring your champions - I can tell you that guys like Riewoldt Montagna and Dempster were very well treated in their final years by this “current regime”.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Drake Huggins
Club Player

So let's ignore the facts and jntroduce more irrelevancies. Happy to call it a day on this because you have no idea as to argue properly. The facts of this thread relate to the events of 2011 to 2017. That makes you uncomfortable because it doesn't suit your spurious arguments. Give it a rest. Ring the Flathead. He probably has a job for you amongst those other Numpties Liberatore and Hughes. We're in good hands.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:So let's ignore the facts and jntroduce more irrelevancies. Happy to call it a day on this because you have no idea as to argue properly. The facts of this thread relate to the events of 2011 to 2017. That makes you uncomfortable because it doesn't suit your spurious arguments. Give it a rest. Ring the Flathead. He probably has a job for you amongst those other Numpties Liberatore and Hughes. We're in good hands.
Actually this thread is about assessing whether to sack the current coach after 4 footy seasons. 2014 to 2017 (we haven’t played 2018 yet) and has nothing to do with 2011-2013 and / or your opinion on recruiting until you raised it.

But I am not sure that you are on the same page.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
groupie1
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:

Drake Huggins - 90% of this post relates to events and examples prior to 2014 when Richardson took over 4 footy seasons ago and we started the rebuild. The one comment here that relates to the rebuild appears to be an endorsement of the Carlisle recruitment. Yes it is a call to be bold in our recruiting and trading and drafting and I believe they are doing that quite strategically. I concede that we didn’t land a big fish this off season but the price would have been 2 first round draft picks and I am quite happy with Clark and Coffield. Not the ideal outcome but it could turn out very well. As for honouring your champions - I can tell you that guys like Riewoldt Montagna and Dempster were very well treated in their final years by this “current regime”.
I think you got the gist... be brave, take risks. RL didn't. Watters... not there long enough for us to judge. AR isn't.
We go back to the Blight / Gehrig / Hamill / Voss period when the club stood up and were prepared to spend up and be bold. Given we were also finishing last we were getting the guns in at the bottom in the draft... we all know who those are. That Roo/Kozi/Ball/NDS/Goddard + Voss / Gehrig / Hamill period was a complete disaster at the time surround the coach, but what we had was some excitement and an appearance of being prepared to do anything to get competitive. It paid dividends for years to come.

The reason we weren't able to land the big fish we wanted after last year is we weren't prepared to do what Sydney did vis-a-vis Franklin, weren't prepared to grab the midfielder of a generation (Cousins) for virtually free when he was all we needed to add to win a flag. Shameful.

Sydney is a great example of how to do it. Spend big, long contracts, get great players, make yourself a destination club and you're set for sustained success.

When we aggresively pursued Carlisle, I was hopeful. But that needed to get done 3-4 players over.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
dragit
Saintsational Legend

This is false for starters… and writing the word fact in caps doesn't make it so.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Yeah well...it can go on and on..

Pick Judd instead of Ball in the 01 draft and that is at least TWO flags right there.

I loved Ball, no regrets. Champion of the club.

jays
Club Player

your dreaming if you think alan will get the sack you need stability look at tigers ImageImage
ImageImage

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Mixed bag here groupy. You make heaps of points. So rather than break up your post, I'm going to be lazy and insert some thoughts into your thoughts. :)

Ro$$y wanted Cousins. Our BOM overruled him - still spooked by the Kimmie affair.

Would he have made 'the' difference? Maybe. Would his hammys have stood up? Don't know, but at the Tuggers... they didn't.

Lovett worth the risk. Seems Ro$$y thought so. Hence we only did our due diligence by considering the responses we wanted to hear. Given the bloke's off-field record (before he came to us), I'd argue he would have been even more of a risk to our 'spooked' club than Cuz.

Peake cost us little, and played some very good footy at times for us.

This one is not correct. Our salary cap was maxed out, and on a small number of champion players... a legacy of the GT era. Our opponent the Hilbillies had no one on more than $400K. The Skunks weren't as even, but were way more even than us. Even the Dawks weren't paying Buddy Ego anything like his market value - and were very prepared to keep it that way, even if it meant losing him. Losing him freed up cap space to allow them to recruit strongly.

Take Hickey out of that, then see the point the above.

Saints had to let him go. See the point above. Plus BJ wanted big $$$, despite being a shadow of his best since drawn GF.

Dal spent his final season with us 'going through the motions'. We still needed to even out our salary cap situation. Letting Dal go was painful, but it was necessary.

Again, a club needs the salary cap space to do this sort of thing.

Secondly, we do not want to get back into the imbalanced salary cap system, that 'snookered our recruiting options', and IMHO, cost us several flags in the latter half of last decade.

That 'awful' Nuff Nuff defender was arguably the best player on their list. He cost us nothing. If his ankle had come good, IMHO, we'd have won in 2009, 2010, and still have been in the mix in 2011.

Gardiner and Smith were both huge risks physically (Gardiner didn't play for a year coz of his dodgy knee), but not risks in terms of salary cap space or draft picks. One paid off. One didn't - that's why risks are called risks.

So should we keep taking 'risks'? I say ... yes!

Good clubs make brave decisions. I like the Lovett decision - it couldda won us a flag. I like the Freeman decision. I liked the Gwilt decision (both of them, coming and going).
Smith was a brave decision. :wink:

Boldly letting players go that the right club at the right time will pay overs for is the way to go.
I agree again. So you do actually support the BJ and Dal decisions... :wink:

Philosophically I do not want our club going winless or tanking. Pragmatically, doing so would be very dangerous re our (already) dodgy financial situation.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: