Age Article - Saints flag aggressive recruiting approach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Age Article - Saints flag aggressive recruiting approach

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sain ... 4z47l.html

I'm starting to like Lethlean a little bit now. Time to earn you pay champ and fix up your reputation by landing the Saints a couple of stars.

I like this part:
“Absolutely we are now. We are now a strong, stable Victorian club with a state of the art facility, stable coaching group and a good young list," he said.
"[It’s a] much easier conversation now. We are a destination club people want to come to.”

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
congorozides
Club Player

Re: Age Article - Saints flag aggressive recruiting approach

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

congorozides wrote:I knew I'd heard this before.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-27/s ... -this-year
Not much has changed then. Awesome news. The two articles are different though if you dare to bother.

Why are there two ConGorozides anyway?...1 upper case and 1 lower case.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
DJ Higgins
Club Player

sounds good but it will mean little as it did last year. Until we start winning more than we lose and we are on the verge of making finals other teams look better for gun players. Tough year ahead but I am expecting some glimpses of the future in Coffield and Hunter and if we get close to the eight we may jag a gun but knowing us it wont be an outside mid, it will be yet another hbf

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Why do we do this to ourselves.....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:We are a destination club people want to come to.”
Until the club starts actually landing A grade players then declaring yourself a destination club means absolutely nothing.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

dragit wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:We are a destination club people want to come to.”
Until the club starts actually landing A grade players then declaring yourself a destination club means absolutely nothing.
I thought we flagged an aggressive recruiting approach last year. Dejavu, methinks.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The Saints are well positioned player payment wise to not only land good talent, but to also keep our top end and young talent (the club has done a great job in that area the past 5 years). Both major positives.

I reckon Lethlean and the club is genuine in getting in A grade talent. We can afford it, but whether it happens is another story. I'm 50/50, but maybe the new Moorabbin and a top 8 finish will change things.

Its up to each Saints fan to determine if they think the club is delusional or not.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

How about....just shut up.
There is nothing that makes us a destination over anyone else. Not by a long shot.
Management at the St.K FC, just shut the hell up and get on with it FFS.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we most assuredly are a destination club.
for fringe players looking at establishing themselves in a starting lineup.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:we most assuredly are a destination club.
My thoughts exactly...

The only player really worth chasing from that crop is Tom Lynch.

Sloane will be 29 at the start of next season. You'd want to be 100% in flag contention before going in for him, even though he is an outstanding player (and pretty much what we need).

Due to some extraordinarily misguided and unlucky (McCartin, Goddard) drafting, our list profile is still extremely young and we need to be taking the cream of the crop to compete in 3-4 years.

Thank God for our policy of sifting through the scrapheap of others. It's basically kept us alive.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

What do people want though? Guys like Lethlean and the club saying "no"...we actually aren't interested in A grade talent? We don't want you? We are only into kids from the draft?

I wish the AFL was like the NFL a bit more. You can really change the face of your team more quickly through FA and the draft. There just isn't enough quality floating around in FA each season. Its a bit of a shambles.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:What do people want though? Guys like Lethlean and the club saying "no"...we actually aren't interested in A grade talent? We don't want you? We are only into kids from the draft?

I wish the AFL was like the NFL a bit more. You can really change the face of your team more quickly through FA and the draft. There just isn't enough quality floating around in FA each season. Its a bit of a shambles.

Don’t want them to say “no we actually aren’t interested in A grade talent”. But I’m with iwantmeseats, Just STFU and do it. Then pump your tyres up. It’s all just hot air at this stage and leaves the club vulnerable to looking stupid if it doesn’t come to fruition.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sorry but most of the posters on this site are total w@nkers. Your opinions mean next to nothing.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Sorry but most of the posters on this site are total w@nkers. Your opinions mean next to nothing.
Everyone apart from yours and fartysainters.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint6709
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
desertsaint wrote:we most assuredly are a destination club.
My thoughts exactly...

The only player really worth chasing from that crop is Tom Lynch.

Sloane will be 29 at the start of next season. You'd want to be 100% in flag contention before going in for him, even though he is an outstanding player (and pretty much what we need).

Due to some extraordinarily misguided and unlucky (McCartin, Goddard) drafting, our list profile is still extremely young and we need to be taking the cream of the crop to compete in 3-4 years.

Thank God for our policy of sifting through the scrapheap of others. It's basically kept us alive.
Can't see why we wouldn't want Sloane - is a gun - is a free agent so is free in terms of recruiting - we pay him well - he keeps the salary cap stable and if he only plays 3 years then we recycle his wage into other options when he is done - by the sounds of it we can still afford Gaff or Lynch or maybe kelly (in a few years if/when he becomes a free agent) - we need to be paying someone - so why not Sloane even if it is only for 3 years /

we need some more mature age talent to balance the youth - especially if Gilbert goes at seasons end - can't see why we wouldnt get Sloane

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:What do people want though? Guys like Lethlean and the club saying "no"...we actually aren't interested in A grade talent? We don't want you? We are only into kids from the draft?

Don’t want them to say “no we actually aren’t interested in A grade talent”. But I’m with iwantmeseats, Just STFU and do it. Then pump your tyres up. It’s all just hot air at this stage and leaves the club vulnerable to looking stupid if it doesn’t come to fruition.
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but the club has to put its vision out there to excite fans and generate interest. Fans want to know where their clubs heading and what they want to achieve. Its all marketing and sales nonsense in a sense, but still required.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Wed 14 Mar 2018 12:29am http://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sain ... 4z47l.html

I'm starting to like Lethlean a little bit now. Time to earn you pay champ and fix up your reputation by landing the Saints a couple of stars.

I like this part:
“Absolutely we are now. We are now a strong, stable Victorian club with a state of the art facility, stable coaching group and a good young list," he said.
"[It’s a] much easier conversation now. We are a destination club people want to come to.”
BUMP

**THIS IS A 4 YEAR OLD THREAD

Note the key words used by Lethlean; a strong stable Victorian club….and the other doozy; we are a destination club

If we get Lyon at the Saints, we’ll have a conman as CEO and a salesman as head coach. Both full of sh!t but more worrying is the damage that these two people will do to our football club…tragically.

Do you think Free Agents or any star players are going to want to come to St Kilda after the train wreck they’ve just witnessed with Ratten?

And what about coaches (I mean any coach - be they support staff or senior assistants) are they going to feel like they’re coming to a strong stable club?