Carlton Premiership in 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Carlton Premiership in 2018

Some of the good posters here, have enlightened me in regard to how critical JLT form and results are. How did I not realise that JLT form is the ultimate guide to what will happen in the season proper?

Carlton are flying and must be Premiership favorites after their stunning unbeaten run in the JLT. Surely Top 4 at least, Boulton is a genius and we surely should have hired him instead of Richo. He knows how critical JLT results are and that these matches should be won at any cost.

Collingwood have also come good in the second half of that great form indicator, the JLT. It could be 1970, 1979 and 1981 all over again, a Carlton/Collingwood Grand Final.

The poor Bulldogs are stuffed and will struggle to win a game, we'll have to fight them for the No.1 Draft pick!

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Re: Carlton Premiership in 2018

Well, Carlton are ahead of us. List and development wise. Won't win the flag but in the mix for a mediocre finish with us. Set to zoom past us in the next two years.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:Some of the good posters here, have enlightened me in regard to how critical JLT form and results are. How did I not realise that JLT form is the ultimate guide to what will happen in the season proper?

Carlton are flying and must be Premiership favorites after their stunning unbeaten run in the JLT. Surely Top 4 at least, Boulton is a genius and we surely should have hired him instead of Richo. He knows how critical JLT results are and that these matches should be won at any cost.

Collingwood have also come good in the second half of that great form indicator, the JLT. It could be 1970, 1979 and 1981 all over again, a Carlton/Collingwood Grand Final.

The poor Bulldogs are stuffed and will struggle to win a game, we'll have to fight them for the No.1 Draft pick!
I saw the topic of the post and nearly spewed my guts up. :mrgreen:

Don't worry...I have read similar or sometimes even more BS and stupidity laced posts that have been tried to be masked as truth and reality on here before. :D

JLT means jack s*** in the big scheme of things. I have forgot the horrible expierence already.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Drake Huggins
Club Player

They've got a better list than us. Potentially. They could well motor past us in the next two years. Let's hope not.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

carlton playing jlt like a typical bottom four club - it's their chance to shine. pity there's no longer a trophy waiting at the end.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Drake Huggins
Club Player

LL, keep believing the sheeple who tell you JLT counts.,some of us know that the other things count for much more than what happens on the ground.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Drake Huggins wrote:LL, keep believing the sheeple who tell you JLT counts.,some of us know that the other things count for much more than what happens on the ground.
Indeed other things count, but what evidence is there of dysfunction at the Club currently? If there's something you know maybe you could share.

It's actually to early to call on our recruiting decisions over the last few years. Although credit were credit is due: Billings, Carlisle, Gresham, Ross, Roberton, Bruce, Membrey, Sinclair, then Dunstan, Acres & Savage for McEvoy and Clarke and Coffield are beauties.

I don't see why there's concern with the Coach, too early to assess how good he might be, however, there has been a steady improve every year under him. Despite not meeting expectations, last year was an improvemnt on 2016, the win/loss is misleading. We were gifted 4 wins in 2016 by the draw (4 games against Carlton & Essendon). We were in reality a 8/9 win team in 2016 and progressed to an 11/12 win team in 2017. I like many have an expectation that we play Finals this year, nothing I saw in the JLT diminishes those expecations.

It was good to go to the game last Thursday, stood on the wing next to our Bench. I got to watch Paddy up close, the kid will make it, he works his guts out and gets a lot of the footy, he got it about 20 times without having a big game. As Jonathon Brown mentioned in commentary, you like that from your big forwards. Seeing him up close, he is massive, but still with a boy's body, he is going to be a monster. he just needs to string a few games together, get used to the pace at AFL level, get some confidence and then watch him go. This latest nonsense about him been in the wrong era come from Gary Lyon, say no more.

There is nothing wrong with the gameplan, last year it was about execution (fatigue may have contributed to that) and excution has been the issue in the JLT. Its about mean defence and moving quickly into offence when we get the pill. I might say I was actually impressed by how fit and healthy our players looked on Thursday and the young blokes are noticeably bigger. Richo comes from the Leigh Matthews school and Matthews came from the Jeans/Kennedy school, that's a pedigree I'm comfortable with.

What the JLT has shown clearly is that many of our players have improved (I've listed them in another thread) and Billings has another level or two to go.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

TLDR but going off the thread title...

If Carlton win a flag before we do I will stop following football.

The end.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

It appears I forgot all about Gold Coast, who have just completed an undefeated JLT, including smashing Geelong.

Bugger me, looks like a Carlton v Gold Coast Grand Final.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:It appears I forgot all about Gold Coast, who have just completed an undefeated JLT, including smashing Geelong.

Bugger me, looks like a Carlton v Gold Coast Grand Final.
I know you are trying to be a smart Alec but you can't even do that right.

The Bulldogs won their JLT game against the Hawks comfortably and the Blues just scraped past the Hawks.

If you look at JLT form the form side are the Tigers.

The same Tigers who just won their three finals all by over 40 points.

Teams are trying in the JLT. Form will fluctuate over the season but teams are trying.

What the JLT told us was North will be rubbish and the Tigers and Swans will be good.

Everyone else. Who knows?

The cold hard facts are that Carlton have finally - after a few attempts- managed their list rebuild well. They have a good bunch of young players.
I can't see them making the 8 just yet but they are on the rise for sure. They won't be bottom 4.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Carlton a Flag in 2018? = No.

However make no mistake the Blues after many years in the wilderness with poor drafting/recruiting and a fixation on messiah players and coaches have unfortunately really gotten their house in order and have improved their list markedly in recent times. IMO there is no doubt that they have picked up a number of young players who will be elite. They have gone from picking and drafting the wrong players, to picking the right ones.

Luck too can play a role and it was their luck to finish very low when really good picks were available.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Carlton will be bottom 4

#1 Ryder fan
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:TLDR but going off the thread title...

If Carlton win a flag before we do I will stop following football.

The end.
Well I am very much hoping that they do not.

However the die will largely now be already be cast as both teams already have a truckload of younger players that each team has invested in. It is all about now how good those young players become. In St Kilda's case we have that dreaded word "potential" in front of a bevvy of players. Billings, Gresham, Sinclair I am confidant about. But we need the Paddies, Acres, Dunstans etc of the world to step up.....

2018 I think will be a very revealing year about our likely upside and moreseo by how well our younger players play, rather than how many games we win. I think that we need in 2018 to start to really see that upside emerging, rather than just hoping that our potential will someday come good.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
congorozides
Club Player

Bulldogs 9th on JLT ladder.
Tigers on top.
North and the Lions on the bottom.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-12/t ... hos-bottom

Nobody is saying JLT gets you 4 points - but to say it means absolutely nothing isnt really accurate.

Unless you think North and the Lions are equally likely to finish top than Richmond?
Last edited by congorozides on Mon 12 Mar 2018 7:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

How did the team who finished on top of the JLT “ladder” last year finish up?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Geelong is finished!!! :D :x :D :)

Sack everyone down there! Scott! The assistants! The recruiters! The lot of them!

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
congorozides
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:How did the team who finished on top of the JLT “ladder” last year finish up?
Dunno - but do you think North and the Lions are as a good a bet as the Tiges and Swans?

Also - last year was a different format IIRC.

congorozides
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Geelong is finished!!! :D :x :D :)

Sack everyone down there! Scott! The assistants! The recruiters! The lot of them!
But they finished 3rd last year and won a final.

congorozides
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:carlton playing jlt like a typical bottom four club - it's their chance to shine. pity there's no longer a trophy waiting at the end.
So you think Weitering, Curnow, Cripps, Curnow, Dow & SPS, are s***?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

congorozides wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Geelong is finished!!! :D :x :D :)

But they finished 3rd last year and won a final.
So what! Old news.
JLT and AFLX is a complete form guide for 2018 apparantly.

Why are there 2 x ConGorozides?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:How did the team who finished on top of the JLT “ladder” last year finish up?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

kosifantutti wrote:
Hah, and how did we go Rounds 1 & 2? Just meaningless.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cripps - 22
Marchbank - 21
Curnow - 20
SPS - 20
Weitering - 21
Dow - 19
McKay - 20

Carlton are going to be ok.

barneyboyz
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:carlton playing jlt like a typical bottom four club - it's their chance to shine. pity there's no longer a trophy waiting at the end.
Not that long back, when there was still a trophy (I think), Carlton won it...hardly won a game for the year after that :lol:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
barneyboyz
Club Player

Not that long back, when there was still a trophy (I think), Carlton won it...hardly won a game for the year after that :lol:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: