JLT2 Match Thread Saints v Demons 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: JLT2 Match Thread Saints v Demons 2018

Obviously had we have won against Carlton and Melbourne, many here would be carrying on about what a promising season we are going to have etc etc, but now it's back to the old "it's only a practice match...we played really well in one quarter...players are rusty" so on and so forth.

My take is that in our pre season matches, we have lost twice, the coach has be out-coached twice, the opposition players don't look rusty or have cobwebs.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Linton Lodger wrote:I'm not naming any of you yet, but don't worry I will in good time. A number of you with your knickers in a twist over a practice game in Cranbourne in the dark, usually the same ones who persistently make outlandish, knee jerk comments and then squeal when their pessimism isn't shared. You piddling reactionary nancies!

I have noted names and you'd better hope you are right with your emotional armchair outbursts. If you are proven to be outlandishly wrong, as many of you were about Jack Billings. I'm going to present some of your comments and let you know all about it. You can be assured that it will be withering and merciless.

I left Casey Fields a reasonably content man tonight. You see in a REAL game, we'd have dropped extra numbers back when Melbourne got that bit of a run on earlier in the game and they wouldn't have waltzed from end to end stringing those bruise free goals together. In 2 weeks time I would also expect that we won't be regurlarly handpassing the footy to our team mates ankles and will have blown some of our cobwebs out. It was cobwebs that gifted Melbourne a few goals in the first half (the only real difference between the teams).

If there were four points up for grabs, you wouldn't have seen 32 goals kicked in the match and I reckon we would have won, or it would've been really tight. Melbourne were never anywhere as good as we got in the third. We bring what we brought in the third quarter for most of a game and we'll beat most teams.
Like.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:My take is that in our pre season matches, we have lost twice, the coach has be out-coached twice, the opposition players don't look rusty or have cobwebs.
Melbourne were disposing at 40% efficiency in the third last night. Their overall efficiency for the game was worse than us...I'm sure they had some cobwebs to blow out too.

spert
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
spert wrote:My take is that in our pre season matches, we have lost twice, the coach has be out-coached twice, the opposition players don't look rusty or have cobwebs.
Melbourne were disposing at 40% efficiency in the third last night. Their overall efficiency for the game was worse than us...I'm sure they had some cobwebs to blow out too.
But they won easily in the end.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Broken record here but God we need another jack Steven. I loved the way we played in the third qtr but felt nauseated when jack went off. We then lost our pace thru the middle and Melbourne came over the top of us. If he gets injured during the season it will really hurt our chances

degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
degruch wrote:
Not the point.

axcellence
Club Player

Melbourne were also missing Viney.

I am scratching my head to figure out which key player Saints were missing...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote:Melbourne were also missing Viney.

Bruce first hit out Billings first Hickey first and plus Armo and Paddy second game back off a long break. Also I didnt see Melbourne with two 18 year olds playing full games either.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
degruch
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
axcellence wrote:Melbourne were also missing Viney.

Bruce first hit out Billings first Hickey first and plus Armo and Paddy second game back off a long break. Also I didnt see Melbourne with two 18 year olds playing full games either.
Demons were without Lewis too, who has chopped us up the last 2 times we've met, also Tom McDonald. But, it sounds like they played the game with a pretty straight bat, whereas we (in addition to those mentioned above) we chopped and changed and experimented with a few positions...Hickey/Marshall in ruck, Billing and Sav more time in the middle, which, of course, is what these games are for. Dee's only ran with the one youngster (Fritsch?), we had a few. Surprised me we didn't run with another small forward against them. Gilbert our only senior out, for better or worse.

All in all, not a bad outing for getting some run back into the legs.

portosaint
Club Player

The way I see it, practice match or not, we as a club are trying to attract new members. Kids are very impressionable. And we haven't made a good impression. Simples

spert
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
spert wrote:
degruch wrote:
Not the point.
Only one point in the end, who wins or who loses in any match- pre season or the real thing. Our first two hitouts showed a team poorly prepared, and echoed games in recent seasons where we were run over in first quarters. That is a fail for Richo.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

The quarter by quarter score line worm on the AFL app was almost identical to the match played in Round 21 against the Dees.

Looked alright in the second half lets hope most of the guys find form and match fitness against the Lion and Roos. Then hopefully pinch one against the Crows or the Cats. Would love to be 3 - 1 after an up and down JLT series.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
degruch wrote:
spert wrote:
degruch wrote:
Not the point.
Only one point in the end, who wins or who loses in any match- pre season or the real thing. Our first two hitouts showed a team poorly prepared, and echoed games in recent seasons where we were run over in first quarters. That is a fail for Richo.
Hard to argue a few stirring wins wouldn't have been good for memberships, and the heart! But, it is what it is...training.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

So no one noticed Goodwin replacing his mids in the third quarter and changing it back in the last? Objective was met, tinkered in the third, ensured the win in the last.
We were well beaten. Does show the importance of a dominant midfield.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

desertsaint wrote:So no one noticed Goodwin replacing his mids in the third quarter and changing it back in the last? Objective was met, tinkered in the third, ensured the win in the last.
And Richo experimented with our defensive structures in the Final quarter, leaving us wide open (his words in his Presser).

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:So no one noticed Goodwin replacing his mids in the third quarter and changing it back in the last? Objective was met, tinkered in the third, ensured the win in the last.
Not true just a myth created by Melbourne supporters.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

portosaint wrote:The way I see it, practice match or not, we as a club are trying to attract new members. Kids are very impressionable. And we haven't made a good impression. Simples
We won the pre-season comp in the 90's and once again in the early 2000's we won more games than we lost for a decade and played off in 3 grand finals, how did that go for attracting new members???

portosaint
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:
portosaint wrote:The way I see it, practice match or not, we as a club are trying to attract new members. Kids are very impressionable. And we haven't made a good impression. Simples
We won the pre-season comp in the 90's and once again in the early 2000's we won more games than we lost for a decade and played off in 3 grand finals, how did that go for attracting new members???
OK actually. '97 and '98 numbers were on the up, back down because of mediocrity. Then '03 through until about '07 numbers again increased, until we hit a downward spiral under RL. Once again our numbers rose after repeated GF appearances, only to be killed off again by mediocrity.
Yes, we have a volatile membership base. Which makes it even more important for our club to make itself appealing and attractive, especially to newcomers.
We need to do more. When we are down we are repeatedly terrible. We lack structure, direction, and anything exciting. Heck, even the players looked disinterested last night.
Anyway, I haven't given up on the season. Point I make is, we need to show something. Anything that gives people hope and shows that we are heading in the right direction

congorozides
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:I'm not naming any of you yet, but don't worry I will in good time. A number of you with your knickers in a twist over a practice game in Cranbourne in the dark, usually the same ones who persistently make outlandish, knee jerk comments and then squeal when their pessimism isn't shared. You piddling reactionary nancies!

I have noted names and you'd better hope you are right with your emotional armchair outbursts. If you are proven to be outlandishly wrong, as many of you were about Jack Billings. I'm going to present some of your comments and let you know all about it. You can be assured that it will be withering and merciless.

I left Casey Fields a reasonably content man tonight. You see in a REAL game, we'd have dropped extra numbers back when Melbourne got that bit of a run on earlier in the game and they wouldn't have waltzed from end to end stringing those bruise free goals together. In 2 weeks time I would also expect that we won't be regurlarly handpassing the footy to our team mates ankles and will have blown some of our cobwebs out. It was cobwebs that gifted Melbourne a few goals in the first half (the only real difference between the teams).

If there were four points up for grabs, you wouldn't have seen 32 goals kicked in the match and I reckon we would have won, or it would've been really tight. Melbourne were never anywhere as good as we got in the third. We bring what we brought in the third quarter for most of a game and we'll beat most teams.
THIS, BIG TIME, WELL SAID!!!!!
Where are you two bully boy brave heroes?

Going to start naming names yet you bathwater drinking Kool Aid <EDITED BY MODS>?

Big f****** tough guys.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

congorozides wrote:
stonecold wrote:

THIS, BIG TIME, WELL SAID!!!!!
Where are you two bully boy brave heroes?

Going to start naming names yet you bathwater drinking Kool Aid <EDITED BY MODS>?

Big f****** tough guys.
I'm here Chicken Little. So you're revelling and going early. How about I start on you now.

You employ a scatter gun approach with your assertions so some of them, out of a multitude, may actually turn out to be true. Still, you're doing a victory dance 4 weeks into a season so eager that your dire predictions be proven correct. Yet you will shamelesly back pedal when proven wrong and say you had a brain fade. I refer to your assessment of Jack Billings.

So the day Paddy comes out and kicks a bag or if we win the next 4 in a row in fine style, I'm sure you'll say "oh, I had a brain fade about Paddy or Richo because I was upset". Weak as piss!

Then when someone says, I'm going to hold you to account for your loud assertions if you're proven to be full of it, you call them a bully! Oh, diddums sorry I hurt your feelings. You pansy.

Now, enjoy revelling in the Saints poor form, I'm sure you'll blame the Recruiters for Dylan Roberton. You'll demand to know why they didn't cut his chest open and check that his heart was in exemplary working order.