Saints in for Tom Lynch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints in for Tom Lynch

We are no chance so wont bother to entertain the idea.
We are just being used as the ' pump up my price' club that no one actually ends up coming to.
Maybe if we sneak finals and move back to Moorabin...we might get some serious suitors.
Unless we trade Paddy for a midfielder, it is also pointless.
Bruce, Membrey, Battle, McCartin, Marshall....we are ok for forwards....give me one of their gun midfield instead.

Nee!
Drake Huggins
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:
SMS wrote:No chance. And if we did that means mccartin is gone.
What does it matter anyway they have STUFFED THIS REBUILD COMPLETELY.

LONG over BOLTON
MCCARTIN over PETRACCA
BILLINGS over BONT despite dal begging
DUNSTAN over MERRETT
LONIE over C.DANIEL
CARLISLE over CURNOW/HIPWOOD (patience was needed)
GODDARD over MCGOVERN

ALL we cared about was captaincy and nice giys and good interviews forget about football skill attributes needed for the modern game. Nah lets get fat diabetic dudes who are nice. Seriously our team
is screwed.
you do realise we had a spare pick for merrett AFTER taking dunstan - which surprisingly you don't use for a worse comparison. It was Acres over Merrett!
Well I 'd forgotten about that howler. That makes me feel worse. Elshyte, not a trout, but a dead set flathead. Personal experience. As sharp as a sack of wet mice. Complete goose.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I must be the only person here that really rates Bruce...

Am continuously miffed at the lack of respect he gets around here
Ditto

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Ditto
Rate him as a forward but not as a second ruckman - on evidence to date.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

BackFromUSA wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Ditto
Bruce was an ok forward for a few games a few years ago, but now
is just a tall fumbly guy with zero marking ability.
Liability.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon the AFL will appoint Tom Lynch as the Northern ambassador and pay him a fortune to ensure he stays at Gold Coast.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

LONG over BOLTON
MCCARTIN over PETRACCA
DUNSTAN over MERRETT
LONIE over C.DANIEL
GODDARD over MCGOVERN

ALL we cared about was captaincy and nice giys and good interviews forget about football skill attributes needed for the modern game. Nah lets get fat diabetic dudes who are nice. Seriously our team
is screwed.

This is a terrible post. Not only is it disrespectful to McCartin but your comparisons are childish, and at times blatantly wrong.

Carlisle isn't even a comparison as he has been an inspired choice, coupled w Gresham was a master stoke. So this one is just wrong.

Bolton is still unproven. And a weird piece of the arguement.

Most teams passed on Daniel and McGovern.

Wasn't Hipwood a zone selection? He was... so you're getting stuck into the club on someone impossible to draft.

As I said, a terrible, terrible post.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:

LONG over BOLTON
MCCARTIN over PETRACCA
DUNSTAN over MERRETT
LONIE over C.DANIEL
GODDARD over MCGOVERN

is screwed.

This is a terrible post. Not only is it disrespectful to McCartin but your comparisons are childish, and at times blatantly wrong.

Carlisle isn't even a comparison as he has been an inspired choice, coupled w Gresham was a master stoke. So this one is just wrong.

Bolton is still unproven. And a weird piece of the arguement.

Most teams passed on Daniel and McGovern.

Wasn't Hipwood a zone selection? He was... so you're getting stuck into the club on someone impossible to draft.

As I said, a terrible, terrible post.
Good post. SMS posts crap to cause controversy and has been caught out contradicting himself several times. Amateur hour at its best.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Hmm... The club chose McCartin over Petracca because they wanted to lock in a power forward but then flag their intentions to chase a Star Forward in Tom Lynch 3 years later...

They should still be chasing some B+ to A grade midfielders. The lack of class at the coal face is pretty stark imo. Too many grunt players.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Hmm... The club chose McCartin over Petracca because they wanted to lock in a power forward but then flag their intentions to chase a Star Forward in Tom Lynch 3 years later...

They should still be chasing some B+ to A grade midfielders. The lack of class at the coal face is pretty stark imo. Too many grunt players.
Patton and Cameron
Boyd and Schache
Gunston and Roughead
or
Gehrig, Koschitzcke and Roo

Is there any reason why we're not allowed to have two tall forwards, especially given Paddy has proven to be prone to injury and Bruce inconsistent? We'd be mad not to chase Lynch, but I'd tend to agree, not at the expense of an elite midfielder. So...Sloan, Gaff, Wines...what's really available then?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Hmm... The club chose McCartin over Petracca because they wanted to lock in a power forward but then flag their intentions to chase a Star Forward in Tom Lynch 3 years later...

Patton and Cameron
Boyd and Schache
Gunston and Roughead
or
Gehrig, Koschitzcke and Roo

Is there any reason why we're not allowed to have two tall forwards, especially given Paddy has proven to be prone to injury and Bruce inconsistent? We'd be mad not to chase Lynch, but I'd tend to agree, not at the expense of an elite midfielder. So...Sloan, Gaff, Wines...what's really available then?
What are they’re trying to get to work... Membrey and McCartin with Bruce doing the Riewoldt running role. Let’s hope Paddy can get 22 games under his belt this season. So many question marks over this list heading into 2018. Gees I hope it doesn’t implode and they all have a great season. If Paddy can’t get up and going then yeah I agree.... have a crack at Lynch.

I really don’t know what midfielders are available beyond the names mentioned... Anyone know what the free agency list looks like this year?

spert
Saintsational Legend

The answer to any of this is for players new or older who get a chance in the seniors, to play their guts out and prove their worth. Too many played in a comfort zone last season, didn't go for the hard ball get, and got away with it being gifted games, as Richo would not give younger developing players a decent chance IMO. Time to get ruthless Saints and go for the best, and don't play mediocre players.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

LONG over BOLTON
MCCARTIN over PETRACCA
DUNSTAN over MERRETT
LONIE over C.DANIEL
GODDARD over MCGOVERN

is screwed.
You're comment about McCartin is disgraceful, say it to his face!

Who's Bolton, do you mean Shai of Richmond? If so, who gives a crap about yet another slender small forward. I've seen nothing to suggest he will be a significant player.

Petracca hasn't proved much yet, don't get me wrong I think he can play, but that doesn't mean he'll be a Champion. I still haven't seen evidence that he'll be a midfielder rather than a good medium sized forward. Any club that wasn't well stocked with key forwards, would've taken McCartin at No.1. You're getting ahead of yourself if you're writing off McCartin after 20 injury riddled games.

Dunstan & Acres over Merrett? Too early by a mile to decide who among those three were the better gets. In that draft big insiders were our priority.

We recruited Lonie specifically as a small forward not a midfielder. Daniel is a midfielder who goes a lot like Seb Ross and Seb Ross is far better.

Then your views on Carlisle are plainly ridiculous. He is a gun, one of the best key defenders (and he can play forward) going around and your suggesting we should have taken Curnow or Hipwood (unproven kids). Despite the fact we had already recruited key forwards.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Ditto
Bruce was an ok forward for a few games a few years ago, but now
is just a tall fumbly guy with zero marking ability.
Liability.
Well we're just going to have to agree to disagree there

I think being a forward in our club is a very difficult beast especially when competing with one N. Riewoldt and being on the end of our bomb it forward indiscriminately mentality mixed in with his runs in the ruck where he is not suited.

Outside of some wayward kicking, i think he's played better than you can reasonably expect in most games last season

SMS
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:

LONG over BOLTON
MCCARTIN over PETRACCA
DUNSTAN over MERRETT
LONIE over C.DANIEL
GODDARD over MCGOVERN

is screwed.
You're comment about McCartin is disgraceful, say it to his face!

Who's Bolton, do you mean Shai of Richmond? If so, who gives a crap about yet another slender small forward. I've seen nothing to suggest he will be a significant player.

Petracca hasn't proved much yet, don't get me wrong I think he can play, but that doesn't mean he'll be a Champion. I still haven't seen evidence that he'll be a midfielder rather than a good medium sized forward. Any club that wasn't well stocked with key forwards, would've taken McCartin at No.1. You're getting ahead of yourself if you're writing off McCartin after 20 injury riddled games.

Dunstan & Acres over Merrett? Too early by a mile to decide who among those three were the better gets. In that draft big insiders were our priority.

We recruited Lonie specifically as a small forward not a midfielder. Daniel is a midfielder who goes a lot like Seb Ross and Seb Ross is far better.

Then your views on Carlisle are plainly ridiculous. He is a gun, one of the best key defenders (and he can play forward) going around and your suggesting we should have taken Curnow or Hipwood (unproven kids). Despite the fact we had already recruited key forwards.
Thats what Im saying!! Our forward thinking planning was terible
Im saying we shouldve taken the mid petracca then in 2015/2016 got the forward. It was a rushed stupid decision. Sorry but paddy being overweight diabetic old school footballer is FACT. He has not payed one full game or had any influence over multiple quarters.

Getting paddy meant we then went after different types.
Again why long over bolton? Look at last night highlights bolton was fantastic.

OUR recruitment was weighted to INTERVIEWS, LOCAL PLAYERS and LEADERSHIP over talent/footballing bodies. Doesnt mean they completely forgot about it but when there was a 60-40 they chose the 40 because of the above reasons. Which is IMO wrong. And its proving to be VERY WRONG. Doesnt take a genius to see how bad this is. Im sorry for being angry but we should have ptracca bontempelli c.daniel and bolton at a minimum in this line up. Ok yes i agree carlisle and gresh was a great trade. And had we taken time not rushed things we could now be paying tom lynch the money to come back to his home town. Last piece of puzzle. Omg imagine t lynch petracca bont gresh bolton mcgovern?? Thats multiple flags right there.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Seems like only yesterday people were hopping around about our failed potential J Riewoldt, Judd, Cousins, whoever else recruitment coups...every few years its another generation of retrospective fantasy picks. What's the point? Half way through last season Richmond supporters were pointing the finger at their deadwood and lousy coach. It only took one year for the Doggies to go from genius' to turds too.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Toy Saint wrote:Reckon the AFL will appoint Tom Lynch as the Northern ambassador and pay him a fortune to ensure he stays at Gold Coast.
Yep, so do I.

Not sure he's going anywhere. The rumor mills were in overdrive all season before O'Meara and Prestia leaving, not so in regards to Lynch (not yet anyway)

saint64
Club Player

No disrespect to Bruce, but he is no Tom Lynch. Why wouldn't we make a play for him?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saint64 wrote:No disrespect to Bruce, but he is no Tom Lynch. Why wouldn't we make a play for him?
tony74 said last year, that we had one back-up for every position...except one (full-back?)

Getting Lynch would NOT be an insult to Bruce, but juat ensuring coverage.
Why get salty n overly defensive over one guy when the club simply needa depth?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

I would still take Acres of Merrett...

Merrett is another undersized vanilla.. would contribute very little to what we already have..

Acres has X factor and legitimately could be an A grade.

Merrett and Ross had nearly mirrored stats, both aren’t that damaging and just accumulate, he’s AA because he plays for dons and the Pro Dons campaign led by Robbo that landed McGrath a rising star was the reason he was AA.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely would take Acres over Merrett

The_President
Club Player

I don't want the club to go out and pay anyone big dollars to come over.

I don't want anyone on the list to be paid more than Jack Steven and I don't want Jack Steven to be paid more than $600k.

As a club we should focus on building a winning culture that attracts star players, we shouldn't want anyone who only comes for the cheque book.

If Tom Lynch wants to come and play for St.Kilda I'd welcome him with open arms... After I told him that he isn't getting $2m a year and that he won't be getting more than a 3x Best and Fairest winner who has been with the club since he was drafted.

Respect the loyalty of players. Build a winning culture for once.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Who needs a 'big fish'?
We have the trout farm!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

We have 2 chances, buckleys and none, plus he isn't the sort of player we need right now as good as he is. We need runners who can get, carry and deliver the ball.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Vazelos
Club Player

There is no doubt they know they need to land a big fish this summer.
Its in our strategic plan and you cant keep stock piling salary cap space for ever, you have to spend it at some stage.
We dont want to be seen as a club that cant land a big fish.
We went harder for Devon Smith than most people realise, he isnt top shelf but still a good young player we wanted.
There are not that many on the table so I am not surprised we will go after him even though he is not an obvious list manangement requirement.

You can play him CHF swapping to FF, Bruce can go elsewhere, someone can be traded it doesnt matter when you have the space you go for it now.