Searle heads up southern saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

on the outer
Club Player

Searle heads up southern saints

Good luck to Peta Searle coaching the saints in the VFL

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2018-03-05/ ... .mobileapp

The saints have a interesting coaching team. “I’ve got quite a big coaching staff here. I’ve got three females, Nathan and two males. It’s fantastic resourcing at VFL level” Is Nathan (Burke) the leagues first hermaphrodite?

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Re: Searle heads up southern saints

Great move. Back where she belongs. We were a laughing stock when we appointed her. The other clubs accused us of virtue signalling, and rightly so. As if she was the best candidate at that stage. 2 years as a very part time assistant at Port saw her go past dozens of better qualified and experienced men. Nice one saints.Virtue signalling ahead of professionalism. We've always done it. Is it any coincidence that our player development has been the worst in the league over the past three years?

That was her brief, you know. What would she know about professional development of young men in an environment she had no experience in? Great move. Now watch the virtue signalling sychophants come out of the woodwork to turn logic and experience on their heads in the vain hope they'll look progressive and modern according to third wave, Neo feminism. She was useless and that stupid appointment has set us back. At least the move allows us to withdraw gracefully.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Great move. Back where she belongs. We were a laughing stock when we appointed her. The other clubs accused us of virtue signalling, and rightly so. As if she was the best candidate at that stage. 2 years as a very part time assistant at Port saw her go past dozens of better qualified and experienced men. Nice one saints.Virtue signalling ahead of professionalism. We've always done it. Is it any coincidence that our player development has been the worst in the league over the past three years?

That was her brief, you know. What would she know about professional development of young men in an environment she had no experience in? Great move. Now watch the virtue signalling sychophants come out of the woodwork to turn logic and experience on their heads in the vain hope they'll look progressive and modern according to third wave, Neo feminism. She was useless and that stupid appointment has set us back. At least the move allows us to withdraw gracefully.
Some provocative statements there Drakey. Laughing stock? By whom? Accused of virtue signalling? By whom?

Womens football legend, school teacher, 3 Womens AA selections, 5 flags as player, 5 premierships with Darebin as coach, National championship as Victorian womens coach, personal development role with Melbourne, Senior Assistant in the VAFA, and assistant role with Port Melb. I am not sure she has an equal in the male arena. All in 20 years.

Blaming her for our development woes is like blaming the property steward for our bad kicking.

Now we have an AFLW license for 2020 and she is headed where she was always going to be.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Great move. Back where she belongs. We were a laughing stock when we appointed her. The other clubs accused us of virtue signalling, and rightly so. As if she was the best candidate at that stage. 2 years as a very part time assistant at Port saw her go past dozens of better qualified and experienced men. Nice one saints.Virtue signalling ahead of professionalism. We've always done it. Is it any coincidence that our player development has been the worst in the league over the past three years?

Where does this s*** come from?
You need to back it up.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Great move. Back where she belongs. We were a laughing stock when we appointed her. The other clubs accused us of virtue signalling, and rightly so. As if she was the best candidate at that stage. 2 years as a very part time assistant at Port saw her go past dozens of better qualified and experienced men. Nice one saints.Virtue signalling ahead of professionalism. We've always done it. Is it any coincidence that our player development has been the worst in the league over the past three years?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What sort of drugs are you on?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

what complete and utter garbage, you have no idea yet you sprout such crap. Name the experienced and better qualified men, who was laughing at us? why is our player development the worst in the league? Back it up or shut up

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:

what complete and utter garbage, you have no idea yet you sprout such crap. Name the experienced and better qualified men, who was laughing at us? why is our player development the worst in the league? Back it up or shut up
Mysogynistic draconian diatribe at its best.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Well, I think the facts speak for themselves. She is not solely to blame for our stuttering development, but she was obviously part of it. She is moving to where she belongs, which is a good move. That's where her expertise lies. 5 premierships with Darebin, eh? I used to watch my daughter play AFL in Peta's day. Any under 12 boy's teams would've beaten them. The standard was appalling. Dominating in that league as it was then is nothing to shout about. A school teacher? Big deal. There are tens of thousands of them out there. How does that make her more qualified than others who've coached in the system or have also been teachers? Hardly. Two years as a very part time assistant at Port Melbourne. VAFA assistant. Says it all. I coached in the VAFA. Played for years with good success. Post Grad. Tertiary qualifications and have done some lecturing at uni. I was never an AA, so she's got me covered there. Should I have applied?

My point is, that it was a good move in terms of getting her for the women's team. If that was the longer term strategy, good on them. What I can't understand is why we didn't choose a more qualified and experienced candidate with a demonstrated record of success for the role. This is elite sport, not the amateurs or the suburbs. One of the most competitive games and competitions in the world.

I was being a bit on the controversial side by posting it, and the usual unthinking, hysterical, virtue signalling resulted, apart from CQ Saint, who at least had the sense to try and make a case by stating her CV of achievements. In the end though, CQ, as much as I respect your opinion and the post, it damns her with your own facts. That is a CV that thousands of people out here in average land could match or better. As for who is better qualified? There is a list so long, there is not enough room to state them all here. Matthew Egan, Chris Newman, Dean Solomon, Stuart Dew, Blake Caracella..........oh why am I bothering?

Thank you for all the marvellous and well thought out responses. They have really forced me to change my mind. "Complete and utter garbage", "What sort of drugs are you on?" (Statins for high cholesterol). "Where does this s*** come from?" (Several, including a senior manager at Essendope) and of course, and I was waiting for it, the old standard, "mysoginist". Abuse without a countering argument is just that. Abuse. It shows you have nothing of substance to present to support your argument. I inflamed your outrage. Now sit back for a moment, check her CV, compare it to dozens of better qualified, experienced and performed men. And I apologise in advance for daring to suggest that a man could be better at something than a woman. In your hysteria I suggest you missed the point. This is not about whether a woman was given the job. This is about competence. Her gender is irrelevant except for our administration, which was clearly making a social statement, rather than acting in the best interests of the team. Everything we hear is an opinion and not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not an absolute truth.

I'll leave you with a couple of things this. "You can't reason a man (or woman.Phew! That was close) out of something he (or she) was never reasoned into in the first place." Marcus Aurelius Roman General from the second century CE and a male, although he probably pinched this from a female. Perhaps he identified as a woman on the day he came up with this gem.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

The use of the term “virtue signalling” is such a signal that the writer is more than likely to spout a litany of rubbish. Which you successfully do above with a whole lot of “they think” etc. with not one iota of fact.

Then when you get called out you return with a blusterful post about how your qualifications (for what that is worth) are better then hers which really does nothing to bolster your first post but sort of looks impressive with many words.

It’s the classic Andrew Bolt tactic. Hope that your first outrageous comments get through to the keeper and if they don’t bluster and waffle in an attempt to weasel out.

FQF

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saynta
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:

The use of the term “virtue signalling” is such a signal that the writer is more than likely to spout a litany of rubbish. Which you successfully do above with a whole lot of “they think” etc. with not one iota of fact.

Then when you get called out you return with a blusterful post about how your qualifications (for what that is worth) are better then hers which really does nothing to bolster your first post but sort of looks impressive with many words.

It’s the classic Andrew Bolt tactic. Hope that your first outrageous comments get through to the keeper and if they don’t bluster and waffle in an attempt to weasel out.

FQF
Hey, nothing wrong with Andy ffs.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:

Mysogynistic draconian diatribe at its best.

More than a bit of truth in the "diatribe" all the same.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:

FQF
A brilliant use of the "Terry Smith rules". Makes no sense, offers nothing, misinterprets and twists to suit one's own dubious agenda and then, like a true virtue signaller, invokes Andrew Bolt as some kind of insult. I do know the Bolter personally, and I'm tipping that going on the quality of his writing and style of arguing, compared to you, he is way out of your league. That's why he gets paid and and is read by millions and you are a shrill, irrelevant voice on a footy club forum. Still, I love your rage and hypocrisy.

Undergraduate level drivel. A bit like Godwin's law. As soon as you invoke Bolt, without a relevant link, you lose the argument. I was hoping I'd flush you out TSR. Like shooting fish in a barrel. The same tiresome, repetitive abuse. Do you think you'll ever get some new schtick, or are you waiting for one of your lefty mates to tell you what to think and say?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:

FQF
A brilliant use of the "Terry Smith rules". Makes no sense, offers nothing, misinterprets and twists to suit one's own dubious agenda and then, like a true virtue signaller, invokes Andrew Bolt as some kind of insult. I do know the Bolter personally, and I'm tipping that going on the quality of his writing and style of arguing, compared to you, he is way out of your league. That's why he gets paid and and is read by millions and you are a shrill, irrelevant voice on a footy club forum. Still, I love your rage and hypocrisy.

Undergraduate level drivel. A bit like Godwin's law. As soon as you invoke Bolt, without a relevant link, you lose the argument. I was hoping I'd flush you out TSR. Like shooting fish in a barrel. The same tiresome, repetitive abuse. Do you think you'll ever get some new schtick, or are you waiting for one of your lefty mates to tell you what to think and say?
:D :D :D :lol: 8-) 8-)

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

ah who doesn't love the off season and the turn of attention to other pursuits - traveling, hiking, gaming, fishing. fishing is fun.
good stuff. keep it up. no real investment in this one, but happy to watch.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Junior
Club Player

Speak to Gary Ayres he rates her highly and I reckon he would know a good coach when he sees one.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Well, I think the facts speak for themselves. She is not solely to blame for our stuttering development, but she was obviously part of it. She is moving to where she belongs, which is a good move. That's where her expertise lies. 5 premierships with Darebin, eh? I used to watch my daughter play AFL in Peta's day. Any under 12 boy's teams would've beaten them. The standard was appalling. Dominating in that league as it was then is nothing to shout about. A school teacher? Big deal. There are tens of thousands of them out there. How does that make her more qualified than others who've coached in the system or have also been teachers? Hardly. Two years as a very part time assistant at Port Melbourne. VAFA assistant. Says it all. I coached in the VAFA. Played for years with good success. Post Grad. Tertiary qualifications and have done some lecturing at uni. I was never an AA, so she's got me covered there. Should I have applied?

My point is, that it was a good move in terms of getting her for the women's team. If that was the longer term strategy, good on them. What I can't understand is why we didn't choose a more qualified and experienced candidate with a demonstrated record of success for the role. This is elite sport, not the amateurs or the suburbs. One of the most competitive games and competitions in the world.

I was being a bit on the controversial side by posting it, and the usual unthinking, hysterical, virtue signalling resulted, apart from CQ Saint, who at least had the sense to try and make a case by stating her CV of achievements. In the end though, CQ, as much as I respect your opinion and the post, it damns her with your own facts. That is a CV that thousands of people out here in average land could match or better. As for who is better qualified? There is a list so long, there is not enough room to state them all here. Matthew Egan, Chris Newman, Dean Solomon, Stuart Dew, Blake Caracella..........oh why am I bothering?

Thank you for all the marvellous and well thought out responses. They have really forced me to change my mind. "Complete and utter garbage", "What sort of drugs are you on?" (Statins for high cholesterol). "Where does this s*** come from?" (Several, including a senior manager at Essendope) and of course, and I was waiting for it, the old standard, "mysoginist". Abuse without a countering argument is just that. Abuse. It shows you have nothing of substance to present to support your argument. I inflamed your outrage. Now sit back for a moment, check her CV, compare it to dozens of better qualified, experienced and performed men. And I apologise in advance for daring to suggest that a man could be better at something than a woman. In your hysteria I suggest you missed the point. This is not about whether a woman was given the job. This is about competence. Her gender is irrelevant except for our administration, which was clearly making a social statement, rather than acting in the best interests of the team. Everything we hear is an opinion and not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not an absolute truth.

I'll leave you with a couple of things this. "You can't reason a man (or woman.Phew! That was close) out of something he (or she) was never reasoned into in the first place." Marcus Aurelius Roman General from the second century CE and a male, although he probably pinched this from a female. Perhaps he identified as a woman on the day he came up with this gem.
You have misread me sir. 'Misogynistic Draconian diatribe at its best' was intended to be a compliment not abuse. I thought you just wanted some support and attention.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Ooohh, I love it when the lefties get called out for their PC nonsense, and then when their outrage bubbles over they run into facts and are stumped, as their usual barbs of "misogynist", "racist", "homophobe" and so forth are rendered empty and useless.

Then they get all salty......... :D :D :D

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Whilst some of us rejoiced in the appointment of Peta and congratulated the club for their choice . Whilst some of us embrace the changes we see around us and believe in them there are the others.

The others are those who are still clinging to beliefs and ideals that will finish up on the wrong side of history. Seeing their world disappear they become bitter , full of vitriol and anger. Their anger and bitterness can even manifest in their support of the greatest football club as they criticise and rubbish players coaches and club administrators. It’s sad.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Oh how predictable. You are so superior, morally and ethically. How can I be more like you TSR? Every morning you must get up, look into the mirror and through a stream of self congratulatory tears confirm to yourself how wonderful you are. Then you must struggle through each day, knowing you are so much more virtuous than the evil , conservatives, who seek to tear you down. The conservatives that built the society that allows you to have your peculiar views. Unlike the extreme left fascists who would shoot you rather than let you express your opinions. Those who deny you your opinion. Those you decry as inferior to your own kind, even if you're not sure why you are so superior.

You are the ones who are always going to end on the wrong side of history. You always have. Check history. How'd that Russian Revolution end up? The Soviet Union? So called communist China that is nothing more than an unfettered free market? Honestly , you Marxists and socialists are so deluded, you are mentally ill. I know you mean well, but you are hopelessly out of touch with reality. You are society's true losers. Clinging to your delusions TSR. Like a blanket, it will give you comfort until reality washes it away.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Which was worse? Appointing a women who had been highly successful in her own football career, albeit in the female side of the sport, into a development role or appointing a highly experienced assistant as head coach; who never really had any success of his own prior.

I guess it depends on your position.

What cannot be denied is that it matters little what other clubs thought of her appointment and after a life time supporting this club, void of success and plagued by what outsiders describe as an embarrassing culture, I welcome the notion of innovation and virtue in our public profile. I must he deluded to have not understood how it could bring us down in the eyes of the football world.

Shame on me.

So glad you let your daughter play Australian Rules Football Drakey. It exposed a tilt to the left in you that others may not appreciate and makes you appear more liberated and perhaps misunderstood.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

To clarify what was said to me about her appointment. A very senior and long standing Norf official with whom I have a connection through my cricket club told me the general reaction to her appointment in the industry was bewilderment, especially when so many other candidates threw their hats in the ring. It surprises me how many people think footballers are dumb and uneducated. Many pursue study while playing and post career. Many of them have post graduate qualifications and take pride in the expertise they've gained in the playing arena and through exposure to other experts. Searle, no matter how good she was at the amateur female level could never compete with those who'd spent a decade or more being exposed to the very best the industry had to offer.

The second thing, that actually upset me, was a conversation with a senior Essendope official, who ridiculed the decision. I asked him why he was so critical of the decision and he replied," you're s*** at winning premierships and you're never going to win another one, so you may as well be the social justice club. Same as your gay pride game. No money in it, but it looks good. You're welcome to it." He did fail to recognise that the dopers had their own gay membership group and played a game versus WC that was a gay pride game lite. Still, hypocrisy is not rare in the AFL industry.

I'm very supportive of the AFLW. Why shouldn't 50% of the population have access to playing the greatest game in the world? My daughter played in the same team as my son until under 12's when the tackling aspect of the game became a reason to exclude her and another girl from the team, despite the fact they were amongst the best players in the team. My protests fell on deaf ears and it took a couple of years to find her an all girls team to play in. She loved it for 7 years before her nursing career took over. We've often wondered if she should have a crack at the big league as she's 185 cm tall and can run all day like a camel.

In the end, I have nothing against PETA Searle. She'll be great as coach of our women's team. Hopefully she can bring a premiership to us. I will be cheering the women on as passionately as I do the blokes. Was she the best candidate for the job when she was appointed as a development coach for the men? Not a hope in hell. Is she the best candidate to coach the women's team? Time will tell. Gender has nothing to do with it. Ask the AFLW teams that are coached by men. I hope she's the best candidate.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nothing against Peta Searle personally and good on her, but if people don’t think that her appointment was not opportunistic and politically correct nonsense, then they are deluding themselves. They are just ideological drones.

If feminism is a cancer, then male feminists are the virus!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Ooohh, I love it when the lefties get called out for their PC nonsense, and then when their outrage bubbles over they run into facts and are stumped, as their usual barbs of "misogynist", "racist", "homophobe" and so forth are rendered empty and useless.

Then they get all salty......... :D :D :D

Ain't that the truth.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Nothing against Peta Searle personally and good on her, but if people don’t think that her appointment was not opportunistic and politically correct nonsense, then they are deluding themselves. They are just ideological drones.

If feminism is a cancer, then male feminists are the virus!

Ain't that the truth.