Sloane to sign long term deal with Crows.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sloane to sign long term deal with Crows.

I don't know why you would if you were Sloane other than to come play for your childhood team but that's a rationalisation at best

He's well paid
Well liked/respected and looked after
Considered a hero of his club
His team is a professional outfit
They're primed for another shot at a premiership

It's a lot to turn your back on.

If Adelaide had won then it may have been more of a shot IMO but it seems doubtful to me that he'd go anywhere

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Norf have more than us, as do GCS and GWS and Carlscum. Of those, only the GWS is doing well. Just goes to show it doesn't matter how many early picks you have, it's what you do with them. The problem with us and the GCS lies in our inability to develop our players rapidly and to the fullest of their ability. Even Carlscum is doing better, I would suggest. We may finish ahead of them this year, but their talent is emerging.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
st.byron wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Sloane is still a chance. He even poured call water on reports he was going to sign.

Hope its another Danger in the making.
Nope. No chance. Their spiritual talisman. Deep in the Crows’ culture and whilst Walker is captain, Sloane is their leader. Going nowhere.
I don't know about that, but wasn't Danger also? He got out of the joint that is Adelaide as soon as he could. Time will tell I guess. If I was Sloane, I would escape the mullets and rat tails of Adelaide asap and buy a mansion on Beach Rd in Brighton to see out my last 5 years. But that is me! :)
Can tell you with some certainty that Sloane is the heartbeat of that team. Matt Crouch is next in line for that role, but for now Sloane is their talisman. He’s happy in Adelaide.

barneyboyz
Club Player

There's plenty being said about our "plan', being that at this stage (at least), we haven't seen much success. There's also name calling of our coaches and past/present recruitment staff etc. This is understandable though, if not a little harsh, and may just prove to be ultimately accurate.

Criticism of our club (from within) is to be expected, we are the Saints after all... BUT, look at Victoria's newly reigning "largest club', how much of their recent scathing internal criticism would the Saints have been able to bear??? It was testament to that club that they held on, weathering that wave of dissent just long enough to allow the right mix of luck, talent, planning and desire to finally bring home the ultimate prize, contrary to everyone's belief. Be patient Sainters, be patient in the knowledge that things can change pretty quickly.

Oh, and because this is a Sloan thread, I do know someone very close to him, and although I have absolutely no idea as to where he will end up, I can say fairly confidently that it will have more to do with his future plans than history or allegiance. Right now, I'd reckon that he doesn't quite know either.

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
degruch
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I don't know why you would if you were Sloane other than to come play for your childhood team but that's a rationalisation at best

He's well paid
Well liked/respected and looked after
Considered a hero of his club
His team is a professional outfit
They're primed for another shot at a premiership

It's a lot to turn your back on.

If Adelaide had won then it may have been more of a shot IMO but it seems doubtful to me that he'd go anywhere
100% skeptic.

Gaff and West Coast however...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hope he does sign with the crows. He's too old.

Gershwin
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
st.byron wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Sloane is still a chance. He even poured call water on reports he was going to sign.

Hope its another Danger in the making.
Nope. No chance. Their spiritual talisman. Deep in the Crows’ culture and whilst Walker is captain, Sloane is their leader. Going nowhere.
I don't know about that, but wasn't Danger also? He got out of the joint that is Adelaide as soon as he could. Time will tell I guess. If I was Sloane, I would escape the mullets and rat tails of Adelaide asap and buy a mansion on Beach Rd in Brighton to see out my last 5 years. But that is me! :)
Can tell you with some certainty that Sloane is the heartbeat of that team. Matt Crouch is next in line for that role, but for now Sloane is their talisman. He’s happy in Adelaide.
Reading between the lines it will be his wife's needs that will be met.
A couple of examples:
Sloane on Thursday tellingly opened the door to suitors in Melbourne where his wife Belinda is forging a television presenter’s career. Her future also will be critical in Sloane’s decision.

“Coming to the end of my career, you certainly have to look at what’s best for yourself,” Sloane said on Thursday during a round of interviews to promote next weekend’s AFL International Rules Series.

“It’s more than my future. It is a decision we (he and wife Belinda) will make as a family.”

also:

While two-time Grand Slam winner Hewitt hopes Sloane “puts pen to paper as soon as possible”, he says the decision would involve wife Belinda, a TV presenter who could find more opportunity in Melbourne.

“Obviously family issues and everything with (Sloane’s wife) Belinda and her work and whether they have a kid and all that stuff, that plays a big part in any person’s career and you can’t hold that against him because he’s gone out and given absolutely 100 per cent every time he’s gone on the footy field,” Hewitt said on Sportsday SA.

Happy wife, happy life.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:Norf have more than us, as do GCS and GWS and Carlscum. Of those, only the GWS is doing well. Just goes to show it doesn't matter how many early picks you have, it's what you do with them. The problem with us and the GCS lies in our inability to develop our players rapidly and to the fullest of their ability. Even Carlscum is doing better, I would suggest. We may finish ahead of them this year, but their talent is emerging.
This. We have been absolutely hopeless at development.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Well the StKilda Strategic Plan 2014-18 had us to be serious players in the FA market from 2016.

With only Membrey, Robbo and Brown landed in the FA market, we are but minnows.

Sloane is really the last chance for the Saints to make good on that much loaded intent. Gaff would be nice but Sloane after missing out on Kelly and others is the only Big Fish mid that may be available as a FA in the targeted period and even then is a year late.

Saints jumped at Paddy as they saw getting a good KPF later would be hard to do as they were IMO confident that hey would get the Rolls Royce mid we need by FA. Securing that that FA mid has turned out to be a lot, lot harder that I believed the club thought it would be.

So before that Strategic Plan hits the shredder landing Sloane will be its last gasp of being achieved re FA. It is Sloane or Bust. otherwise the club needs to have a real rethink about how it is going to keep building our list.

Midfield is where games are one or lost these days. Our recruitment team in recent times up until the 2017 draft has mainly focused on securing anything but pure mids, and has certainly done nothing to secure elite mids. As a result our midfield, while having a good supporting cast, is probably just about the thinnest for top end talent in the AFL. It certainly is when compared to any genuine finals contender.
I actually think it's Andrew Gaff or bust. Not so sure about Sloane - I would've loved him now if he was 3 years younger but ... sliding doors. Unlikely he'd leave Adl - too close to playing finals/flag and will be well looked after.
As for our midfield - we have a lot of slow, inside accumulators - none of whom have much of a point of difference in terms of either disposal or goal kicking power. On that basis - our top end talent is still Jack Steven and you can't even begin to think about competing with the best teams if that's as deep as you bat in the quality-stakes in the engine room.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Sloane - Great player, but getting a bit old I reckon.

Gaff - :shock: Come on Saintsationalists! The last two flags have been won by very ordinary teams - via applying great pressure. You'd have to go back to the Deliverance mob's win over the Teal Turkeys to find a GF where the application of great pressure wasn't needed. Gaff is an outside receiver. The type of player who goes missing in big pressure games. Don't recruit any blokes who can't (also) win their own footy. Ev-ahh!!!

Wines - If we're to have the 'red hot go' and pull out the cheque book for a mid, he's the one. Only 23 too. (Not even 24 till October). 190cm, which is a pretty good height, plus... 97kgs of wrecking-ball muscle. And, I reckon this bloke's best is still to come.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
lefty
Club Player

Already 27, turning 28 this year, I wouldn't even bother, get a top 10 pick again.

Kelly was the one that made sense.