Sloane to sign long term deal with Crows.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Sloane to sign long term deal with Crows.

Heard on SEN and being reported in Adelaide that the Crows, Sloane and his management are close to signing a four year deal worth around a million per year. The report stated the signing would happen before the start of the season as all parties were satisfied with the terms, in principle. I know there are going to be many discussions and threads until he actually does sign, but the reporters sounded emphatic and were assured it was a done deal. Disappointing if true, but I guess we have to aim for a different target.

The one big worry from last year's trade period was our inability to attract any interest from players willing to move. We failed to land the "big fish", nor the two slightly cheaper fish that our CEO said we'd target if we couldn't get the main prize. Just looking at that trade period just gone, I can't help wondering how much better our list would look with any two of Smith, Rockliff, Watts, Motlop, Stringer, Saad or Schache. I can't help feeling we've missed the bus, a bit like Norf. Both clubs now have plenty of money in the bank, but no one to spend it on. I know it's very early days, but these circumstances do not augur well for this season at least. Our poor performance against the scum doesn't help, either. The same problems that dogged our last 7 weeks last year still seemed to be present. Poor kicking, butchering inside 50's, inaccuracy, and a lack of speed.

I was bullish about our chances in the past two preseasons, but I'm feeling pretty uneasy about the upcoming season. Have we stalled, or have our stated plans and list management strategies gone off track?

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sloane to sign long term deal with Crows.

Drake Huggins wrote:Heard on SEN and being reported in Adelaide that the Crows, Sloane and his management are close to signing a four year deal worth around a million per year. The report stated the signing would happen before the start of the season as all parties were satisfied with the terms, in principle. I know there are going to be many discussions and threads until he actually does sign, but the reporters sounded emphatic and were assured it was a done deal. Disappointing if true, but I guess we have to aim for a different target.

The one big worry from last year's trade period was our inability to attract any interest from players willing to move. We failed to land the "big fish", nor the two slightly cheaper fish that our CEO said we'd target if we couldn't get the main prize. Just looking at that trade period just gone, I can't help wondering how much better our list would look with any two of Smith, Rockliff, Watts, Motlop, Stringer, Saad or Schache. I can't help feeling we've missed the bus, a bit like Norf. Both clubs now have plenty of money in the bank, but no one to spend it on. I know it's very early days, but these circumstances do not augur well for this season at least. Our poor performance against the scum doesn't help, either. The same problems that dogged our last 7 weeks last year still seemed to be present. Poor kicking, butchering inside 50's, inaccuracy, and a lack of speed.

I was bullish about our chances in the past two preseasons, but I'm feeling pretty uneasy about the upcoming season. Have we stalled, or have our stated plans and list management strategies gone off track?
This was reported on SEN during the week by their SA reporter Tommy Wren. Just before the Crows announced their leadership team.
Interviewed in Adelaide after this report was aired, Sloane seemed to 'pour cold water' on the report.
So who knows what's actually going on?
Sloane agreeing to terms
or
Adelaide putting pressure on Sloane's management.

The Barometer
Club Player

I also heard on SEN that this was not true. Who to believe? Good old hearsay. I’d take saad not sure I’d want any of the others. What would we do with watts?

Drake Huggins
Club Player

The Barometer wrote:I also heard on SEN that this was not true. Who to believe? Good old hearsay. I’d take saad not sure I’d want any of the others. What would we do with watts?
Watts is one of the most accurate kicks for goal in the comp. in fact his kicking skills are amongst the best in the AFL. I'm sure we could've found a place for him ahead of about a dozen others I saw on Wednesday night. Devon Smith? A goal kicking midfielder with good pace. Rockliff. A ball winning machine who also kicks goals. Motlop? Outside speed, goal kicking and flair (no room for that in AR's plans). Stringer? Could be the next Dusty. A goal kicker who can also take his turn in the midfield. Schache. Potential to be a gun forward.

The thing is, apart from Smith, none of them would've cost us much at the trade table. Motlop and Rockliff would've come for free. If Rockliff, Watts and Motlop can improve a team like Port that finished well ahead of us and looks like doing so again this year, then surely they would improve our team as well.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
The Barometer wrote:I also heard on SEN that this was not true. Who to believe? Good old hearsay. I’d take saad not sure I’d want any of the others. What would we do with watts?
Watts is one of the most accurate kicks for goal in the comp. in fact his kicking skills are amongst the best in the AFL. I'm sure we could've found a place for him ahead of about a dozen others I saw on Wednesday night. Devon Smith? A goal kicking midfielder with good pace. Rockliff. A ball winning machine who also kicks goals. Motlop? Outside speed, goal kicking and flair (no room for that in AR's plans). Stringer? Could be the next Dusty. A goal kicker who can also take his turn in the midfield. Schache. Potential to be a gun forward.

The thing is, apart from Smith, none of them would've cost us much at the trade table. Motlop and Rockliff would've come for free. If Rockliff, Watts and Motlop can improve a team like Port that finished well ahead of us and looks like doing so again this year, then surely they would improve our team as well.
Take it easy Drakey. Youll get a head ache beating it against the wall like that. This is last years news.

congorozides
Club Player

Forget Sloane. Too old for us anyhow.

I think we should be going hard for Gaff.

takeaway
Club Player

Sloane a great player but always hard to get and is getting on a bit.

Don't want Motlop, Watts,Rockliff etc stopping young players getting a game and learning the caper. We are not ready yet to top up with almost has beens. Port are further advanced and maybe the top ups are justified. We will see.

I suspect that we will take some time to properly adjust to not having Roo all over the forward line demanding the ball, and the influence of Joey down back. Even though Roo did not do much especially in the latter half of the year, his absence will be missed.
I think we will have another development year, probably finish about the same, hopefully move up 2019-20. We are obviously targeting upcoming free agents, may get a couple, may not. IMO success in the next few years depends mainly on the current crop, not on snagging a BIG FISH.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

What about Ollie The Bull Wines? Ex vic.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

There is no such thing as “close to signing”. It just means there’s no agreement and he hasn’t signed. Ross Lyon and Tony Lockett were both “close to signing”.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
congorozides
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:What about Ollie The Bull Wines? Ex vic.
He is from Echuca.
No connection to Melbourne anyway. Every chance to stay in Adelaide.
Last edited by congorozides on Sun 04 Mar 2018 10:47am, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sloane is going nowhere. He’s their spiritual leader. Total bull of a player. Totally committed to Adelaide.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

congorozides wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:What about Ollie The Bull Wines? Ex vic.
He is from Echuca.
No connection to Melbourne anyway. Every chance to stay in Adelaide.
Only 3 hours drive isn't it? Close enough. He might have family and friends in Melbourne.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
jaxons
Club Player

Sloane won't be signing with Adelaide just yet.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:Sloane won't be signing with Adelaide just yet.

I can think of three posters that are going to get antsy about this post... where is the proof they’ll say

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin sounds like a good place to buy a house and raise a family
Last edited by ausfatcat on Sun 04 Mar 2018 7:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure that Rory is extremely well looked after, and would be reluctant to leave the crows. However, if you've ever heard the lad talking about Moorabbin, then you wouldn't ever rule out the possibility. Loves the joint like Davey Mac loves the Junction oval.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
jaxons wrote:Sloane won't be signing with Adelaide just yet.

I can think of three posters that are going to get antsy about this post... where is the proof they’ll say
Jaxons was correct. He still hasn’t signed.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Drake Huggins
Club Player

takeaway wrote:Sloane a great player but always hard to get and is getting on a bit.

Don't want Motlop, Watts,Rockliff etc stopping young players getting a game and learning the caper. We are not ready yet to top up with almost has beens. Port are further advanced and maybe the top ups are justified. We will see.

I suspect that we will take some time to properly adjust to not having Roo all over the forward line demanding the ball, and the influence of Joey down back. Even though Roo did not do much especially in the latter half of the year, his absence will be missed.
I think we will have another development year, probably finish about the same, hopefully move up 2019-20. We are obviously targeting upcoming free agents, may get a couple, may not. IMO success in the next few years depends mainly on the current crop, not on snagging a BIG FISH.
I think you've mentioned the elephant in the room being the absence of Riewoldt, takeaway. Some on here have suggested he was cooked anyway and that we'd move on quickly without him. I beg to differ. He was cooked after Maddie's match, but our sudden decline last year coincided with his. He leaves a hole in our entire team, not just the forward line, that is the size of the Grand Canyon. From what I saw the other night,
his replacements are trying to fill it with a bucket of sand.

I posted this knowing there'll be thousands of posts on forums as to whether he goes or stays. As KFT and Jaxon's have stated, we won't know until he signs somewhere. I doubt barracking for the saints as a kid will feature prominently in his decision making processes. I'm thinking he'll stay in Adelaide because they are as good a chance of snaring a flag soon as anyone. I'll really spew if he ends up at Geelong (SC?), the bummers, or gulp, carlscum.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well the StKilda Strategic Plan 2014-18 had us to be serious players in the FA market from 2016.

With only Membrey, Robbo and Brown landed in the FA market, we are but minnows.

Sloane is really the last chance for the Saints to make good on that much loaded intent. Gaff would be nice but Sloane after missing out on Kelly and others is the only Big Fish mid that may be available as a FA in the targeted period and even then is a year late.

Saints jumped at Paddy as they saw getting a good KPF later would be hard to do as they were IMO confident that hey would get the Rolls Royce mid we need by FA. Securing that that FA mid has turned out to be a lot, lot harder that I believed the club thought it would be.

So before that Strategic Plan hits the shredder landing Sloane will be its last gasp of being achieved re FA. It is Sloane or Bust. otherwise the club needs to have a real rethink about how it is going to keep building our list.

Midfield is where games are one or lost these days. Our recruitment team in recent times up until the 2017 draft has mainly focused on securing anything but pure mids, and has certainly done nothing to secure elite mids. As a result our midfield, while having a good supporting cast, is probably just about the thinnest for top end talent in the AFL. It certainly is when compared to any genuine finals contender.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Sloane is still a chance. He even poured call water on reports he was going to sign.

Hope its another Danger in the making.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Sloane is still a chance. He even poured call water on reports he was going to sign.

Nope. No chance. Their spiritual talisman. Deep in the Crows’ culture and whilst Walker is captain, Sloane is their leader. Going nowhere.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Sloane is still a chance. He even poured call water on reports he was going to sign.

Nope. No chance. Their spiritual talisman. Deep in the Crows’ culture and whilst Walker is captain, Sloane is their leader. Going nowhere.
I don't know about that, but wasn't Danger also? He got out of the joint that is Adelaide as soon as he could. Time will tell I guess. If I was Sloane, I would escape the mullets and rat tails of Adelaide asap and buy a mansion on Beach Rd in Brighton to see out my last 5 years. But that is me! :)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
st.byron wrote:

I don't know about that, but wasn't Danger also? He got out of the joint that is Adelaide as soon as he could. Time will tell I guess. If I was Sloane, I would escape the mullets and rat tails of Adelaide asap and buy a mansion on Beach Rd in Brighton to see out my last 5 years. But that is me! :)
Adelaide, serial killer heaven. What a dump.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

saynta wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
st.byron wrote:

As the great author, Salman Rushdie declared when opening the Adelaide writers' Festival in the 80's, "Adelaide is a weird Gothic town and it is in such places that weird gothic crimes tend to occur." He was never asked back. Wonder why? Just telling the truth, wasn't he , Saynta?

Back on topic, we have 13 first round picks on our list now. 13. Let that sink in. In the time our now 6 year rebuild has been going on we've soared from 9th to 11th. Saints Rising has pointed out some uncomfortable truths about how our ambitions have not aligned with our ability to carry out our plans. Tell me again how, first, the Pelican and then, his apprentice the Trout (should that be sprat) have done such a bang up job with our list management, despite a bonanza of early picks?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
takeaway
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:
saynta wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
st.byron wrote:

As the great author, Salman Rushdie declared when opening the Adelaide writers' Festival in the 80's, "Adelaide is a weird Gothic town and it is in such places that weird gothic crimes tend to occur." He was never asked back. Wonder why? Just telling the truth, wasn't he , Saynta?

Back on topic, we have 13 first round picks on our list now. 13. Let that sink in. In the time our now 6 year rebuild has been going on we've soared from 9th to 11th. Saints Rising has pointed out some uncomfortable truths about how our ambitions have not aligned with our ability to carry out our plans. Tell me again how, first, the Pelican and then, his apprentice the Trout (should that be sprat) have done such a bang up job with our list management, despite a bonanza of early picks?
Fair enough.

I think our recruiting/drafting/wheeling dealing has been as good as most. It would be interesting to work out how many first round picks are on other club's lists, especially if you account for father/sons, where unfortunately we have not been prominent. ie Daniher, Hogan etc.

Certainly a few clubs would have more first round picks.