JLT Match Thread Saints v Blues 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: JLT Match Thread Saints v Blues 2018

I don't understand the "it was just a practice game" argument. Our kicking at goal was crap again. So because it wasn't real we weren't trying to kick the ball straight and get goals? I get we weren't risking injuries, body on the line play but lets be real, we were trying to kick goal and missed. A lot. Yes it was windy but you train for that and Carlton managed to kick them in.

At one stage it was 8.4 Carlton 4.8 Saints which really summed up the night for me. Not hitting the scoreboard when you need to. I saw Richo said that we didn't adapt to the conditions or the game play of Carlton. Can't help but think that is your job their big fella.

Plenty of pluses from the game mentioned above which is positive (Savage no longer a plodder, really looked good last night; Hunter looked good for a debut, Coffield also went ok) but I just don't want another "what if" year. i.e. Saints wasteful in front of goals cost them games. Early days yet but next game will be very interesting

takeaway
Club Player

Rance not a patch on Carlisle? Sorry LL, but imo Carlisle whilst good is more limited and not a patch on Rance. Agree with your other comments though.

barneyboyz
Club Player

saynta wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:
StPeter wrote:Free kick count would be extraordinary. I am not sure what the official count would be but on my reckoning at least around 10aainst us to our to 1 or 2 .
Following the pattern of the past few years. We seem to give away a lot more than we get. Same old same old.
I used to think it was the umpires' fault. I am beginning to think it is actually the way we play. If you play dumb reactive footy and the other team are first to the ball they are going to win the free kicks.

Also; we need our ruckman to be competitive. Not just at the throw ins but around the ground. Time to give Hickey another go. Getting smashed in the midfield, and Kreuzer is having a field day.
Don't know about that. A full headlock on a saints player goes unnoticed yet a slight push in the back gets rewarded as long as the player being pushed is not a saint.

How does Pddy not get a free from a full wack on the nose from a swinging arm drapped over his shoulder?

I think the maggots grew up as blues supporters.
I'm with you on this...absolute disgraceful and has been going on for years

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

DJ Higgins wrote:I don't understand the "it was just a practice game" argument. Our kicking at goal was crap again. So because it wasn't real we weren't trying to kick the ball straight and get goals? I get we weren't risking injuries, body on the line play but lets be real, we were trying to kick goal and missed. A lot. Yes it was windy but you train for that and Carlton managed to kick them in.

At one stage it was 8.4 Carlton 4.8 Saints which really summed up the night for me. Not hitting the scoreboard when you need to. I saw Richo said that we didn't adapt to the conditions or the game play of Carlton. Can't help but think that is your job their big fella.

Plenty of pluses from the game mentioned above which is positive (Savage no longer a plodder, really looked good last night; Hunter looked good for a debut, Coffield also went ok) but I just don't want another "what if" year. i.e. Saints wasteful in front of goals cost them games. Early days yet but next game will be very interesting
In regard to our kicking for goal, it was blowing a swirly gale, utterly diabolical for any sort of kicking. Not that I'm making excuses for Gilbo's execution by foot!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So when we win it is because we are the better side.
When we lose it is because we weren't trying.
Got it.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I agree with Richo's summary in his member's message; Carlton were better than us overall and in particular handled the conditions far better tha we did.

We look one-paced (Steven excepted) and basically have a plodding midfield crew. We badly need some pace in there.

Our forward line doesn't look dangerous, and our kicking is frankly abysmal; both field and goal.

It looks like a long year again ... :?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Carlton clearly wanted to win and approached it as such. Even in the first quarter when Carlton kicked with a 6 goal breeze we didnt play a man behind the ball. Carlton on the other hand had a regular loose behind the ball.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So when we win it is because we are the better side.
Got it.
When we get smashed in a practice match in 2009 it doesn't matter.
When we lose a practice match in 2018 it does.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
axcellence
Club Player

The AFL has not changed rules or interpretations this year.

And the saints just brought back the 2017 game plan with 0 changes and couple of kids replacing Roo and Montagna.

Very much the shades of GT in 2006. In 2004, he was a genius; in 2005, he brought the team back from the brink. In 2006, it was clear that other teams had gone way past.

The team still played like millionaires and I bet if Roo was running around, they'd just kick it to him to mop up all the indecision they served up.

This team needs to realise that Roo and Montagna are gone and each player and the team collectively needs to step up. Didn't feel any changes from last year's attitude in JLT1.

But yes, it was just a pre-season game.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Clark looked great, Armo got through the match, Lonie stuck a few tackles, Gresh looks set for a massive season. Paddy clunked a few great marks and the rest blew the cob webs out on a horrible, windy s**t of a night at a ground with no lights.

Not being able to capitalise when dominating periods of a match ... it's a bloody frustrating hump this team has got to get over. On a nice day St Kilda could/should kick 7-8 goals when they control a quarter like last night's third term.

I'll still be tipping St Kilda by 45 points when Round 1 comes around.

spert
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Got it.
Because we want to get into finals and win our second premiership after the failure to do so in the Lyon years -people want to see success, and last night didn't help the cause.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Got it.
Because we want to get into finals and win our second premiership after the failure to do so in the Lyon years -people want to see success, and last night didn't help the cause.
Gotta admit, even though I fall in the 'it was only a practice game' came, if the club believes most punters are confident we'll roll into the finals this year they'll get a nasty surprise...if anyone needs a couple quick wins to whip up supporter confidence and memberships it's us, even if it is pre-season. I reckon Melbourne supporters would be (as per last season) strutting around like peacocks after their teams recent efforts, and memberships would be rolling in like ski passes.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Got it.
Once again, I didn't say that and I thought I clearly clarified that in a subsequent comment! If you cannot sustain an argument with reason, don't bother trying to argue, you come across as childish.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

the cheats will be going around today pretty happy about their side and their improvement...we aren't..simple as that..practice match or not.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Getting sick of this every night at this time (what about getting this done overnight our time)?

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.