Rebuild Boom or Bust

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rebuild Boom or Bust

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Hopefully Henry Playfair comes with some new ideas so expect the game plan to change somewhat.

Last year we were terrible at implementing the game plan and I thought we pressed up too hard; we were not very good at defending the other way, particularly against the better teams. Sydney are very good at this and we have struggled against them badly over the last 5 years, so Playfair wasn’t a random choice.
So you must not think Ben McGlynn is much chop?
Ben who?
Some ex Hawk I believe.

As for Boom or Bust I think Ross, Billings, Steele, Acres and Dunstan are ready to take the AFL by storm. I think any move we have upwards in 2018 will be on the back of these five.
Don't forget Gresham

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Hopefully Henry Playfair comes with some new ideas so expect the game plan to change somewhat.

Last year we were terrible at implementing the game plan and I thought we pressed up too hard; we were not very good at defending the other way, particularly against the better teams. Sydney are very good at this and we have struggled against them badly over the last 5 years, so Playfair wasn’t a random choice.
Ben who?
Some ex Hawk I believe.

As for Boom or Bust I think Ross, Billings, Steele, Acres and Dunstan are ready to take the AFL by storm. I think any move we have upwards in 2018 will be on the back of these five.
Don't forget Gresham
And Sinclair

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Pretty sure McGlynn is some kind of development coach. He is highly regarded and is doing a great job from all accounts. Good footballer too. Ex Hawk and Swan.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ben who?
Some ex Hawk I believe.

Don't forget Gresham
And Sinclair
Yes, especially Gresham and Sinclair. Add in Steven and that is a midfield that bats pretty deep. There are others -Armitage, Koby - as well.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gresham still young.
Sinclair is good.
Armo. Who knows. May be finished.
Stevens. GOP.

outside66
Club Player

I'm really happy with our team and bullish about what we can achieve in both the short and long term. A quick look at our top 10 best and fairest from last year showed that aside from Brown and Geary, the younger blokes are getting comfortable with being AFL players and they are all capable of becoming elite.

Throw in Steven, a fully fit Armo and Mav (fingers crossed)and then that's a solid line-up already. Steele will explode and if Acres and Dunstan can follow suit then look out! Carlisle finished 4th coming off a less than ideal preparation to say the least, so if he can improve another 5 percent then he will come into AA consideration.

Forward line could be deadly with a bit/lot of luck and if Paddy can't come on then Battle seems to look a sneaky surprise as he seems fit (finished top 5 in most recent 3km) and will be able to commit to the club full time given he's finished school. Membrey, Bruce and Battle as mobile high forwards would be a nightmare for opposition teams to match up on.

Another cause for optimism is having a look at the first half we played against Richmond in Maddies Match. Game was done at quarter time. To me that is Richo's goal for what we want to do and if we could pull that or something close to that for 4 quarters on a consistent basis, then that's top-4 footy!

All in all, I think our recruitment has been outstanding in putting together a balanced and sustainable squad with the capacity to bring in an expensive cherry at the end of the year without compromising our current stable.

1. Seb Ross 159 votes
2. Dylan Roberton 124 votes
3. Jarryn Geary 121 votes
4. Jake Carlisle 119 votes
5. Jack Billings 110 votes
6. Jack Steven 108 votes
7. Jimmy Webster 88 votes
8. Jack Newnes 83
9. Jade Gresham 81 votes
10. Nathan Brown 78 votes

outside66
Club Player

I'm really happy with our team and bullish about what we can achieve in both the short and long term. A quick look at our top 10 best and fairest from last year showed that aside from Brown and Geary, the younger blokes are getting comfortable with being AFL players and they are all capable of becoming elite.

Throw in Steven, a fully fit Armo and Mav (fingers crossed)and then that's a solid line-up already. Steele will explode and if Acres and Dunstan can follow suit then look out! Carlisle finished 4th coming off a less than ideal preparation to say the least, so if he can improve another 5 percent then he will come into AA consideration.

Forward line could be deadly with a bit/lot of luck and if Paddy can't come on then Battle seems to look a sneaky surprise as he seems fit (finished top 5 in most recent 3km) and will be able to commit to the club full time given he's finished school. Membrey, Bruce and Battle as mobile high forwards would be a nightmare for opposition teams to match up on.

Another cause for optimism is having a look at the first half we played against Richmond in Maddies Match. Game was done at quarter time. To me that is Richo's goal for what we want to do and if we could pull that or something close to that for 4 quarters on a consistent basis, then that's top-4 footy!

All in all, I think our recruitment has been outstanding in putting together a balanced and sustainable squad with the capacity to bring in an expensive cherry at the end of the year without compromising our current stable.

1. Seb Ross 159 votes
2. Dylan Roberton 124 votes
3. Jarryn Geary 121 votes
4. Jake Carlisle 119 votes
5. Jack Billings 110 votes
6. Jack Steven 108 votes
7. Jimmy Webster 88 votes
8. Jack Newnes 83
9. Jade Gresham 81 votes
10. Nathan Brown 78 votes

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Gresham kicked 30.30 last season. That's a lot of shots at goal for a 19/20-year-old, but I think he's better than merely a small forward. I hope the club recognises this and doesn't pigeonhole him as one.

I think he's ready to go into the midfield and really turn it on.

Let's hope we don't make the mistake of loading the clearance division up with too many one-dimensional extractors. It takes all types.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Unlike last year's surprise to the downside :( , this year with the expectations dampened, I'm quietly confident of a significant surprise to the upside.

No need to rely upon any one player suddenly becoming a superstar. I'm expecting an across the board improvement from the sort of names already mentioned by the knowledgeable Saintsationalists in this thread. And that improvement will make it easier for everyone to show what they can do. For instance, if it's coming down more often and being delivered a bit better, how much better do you think the likes of Members and the Bruce will go? Let alone the Gresh...?

Our blokes just need to believe! Our blokes just need a 'call to arms'!

Take it away Spicy McHaggis... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ctpx0zYgk :twisted:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:Gresham kicked 30.30 last season. That's a lot of shots at goal for a 19/20-year-old, but I think he's better than merely a small forward. I hope the club recognises this and doesn't pigeonhole him as one.

I think he's ready to go into the midfield and really turn it on.

Let's hope we don't make the mistake of loading the clearance division up with too many one-dimensional extractors. It takes all types.
I’m fairly sure Gresh had the occasional run through the midfield. I expect they are just waiting for him to develop more of a tank. He is one that is developing very nicely. His next few years will still be more forward than mid I expect and gradually getting rotated through more and more but I don’t think he will ever be full time mid. Just seems to me that mids are getting bigger and stronger every year and the smaller guys are getting consigned to wings, flanks and pockets. Of course , there will always be exceptions.

Love is all you need
DJ Higgins
Club Player

when did being a small forward become such a bad thing? I would love one of our smaller players to own being a small forward and not want to play in the mids. Practice more on crumbing the ball, snapping goals working out where to stand to get best shot at spoils etc. rather than increasing the tank and midfield positions work and how to move the ball forward etc. Not saying don't train to do both but put more of the focus on putting the ball between the sticks. Last year it seemed so many times we had the ball in their 50 but no-one was having a shot for fear of missing or wanting to seem selfish.
Imagine if Gresham went 40.20 and not 30.30. Finals anyone?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

del
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Fri 12 Jan 2018 8:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:when did being a small forward become such a bad thing? I would love one of our smaller players to own being a small forward and not want to play in the mids. Practice more on crumbing the ball, snapping goals working out where to stand to get best shot at spoils etc. rather than increasing the tank and midfield positions work and how to move the ball forward etc. Not saying don't train to do both but put more of the focus on putting the ball between the sticks. Last year it seemed so many times we had the ball in their 50 but no-one was having a shot for fear of missing or wanting to seem selfish.
Imagine if Gresham went 40.20 and not 30.30. Finals anyone?
It's not a bad thing. It's a matter of where you want to use your resources. He's potentially such an elite midfielder, by which I mean elite. Good small forwards are easier to find.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
It's not a bad thing. It's a matter of where you want to use your resources. He's potentially such an elite midfielder, by which I mean elite. Good small forwards are easier to find.
I think either position has pros and cons and he will be great at both. Personally I think he's better suited as a small forward due to his frame and style of play but he will most likely be a mid and Sinclair will be a small.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ben who?
Some ex Hawk I believe.

Don't forget Gresham
And Sinclair
Yes, especially Gresham and Sinclair. Add in Steven and that is a midfield that bats pretty deep. There are others -Armitage, Koby - as well.
Err. Hmm.

Must be pre-season again.

:D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We bat deep in the mid-field.

Lmfao.

Priceless, Carl. Just priceless.

:lol:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:We bat deep in the mid-field.

Lmfao.

You’ll see :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Pretty sure McGlynn is some kind of development coach. He is highly regarded and is doing a great job from all accounts. Good footballer too. Ex Hawk and Swan.
Ok 'highly regarded' as you love to say.
But the game plan v swans didnt really work out in 2017.
I was at that game and we were utterly embarrasing. Not even slightly competitive.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Unlike last year's surprise to the downside :( , this year with the expectations dampened, I'm quietly confident of a significant surprise to the upside.

No need to rely upon any one player suddenly becoming a superstar. I'm expecting an across the board improvement from the sort of names already mentioned by the knowledgeable Saintsationalists in this thread. And that improvement will make it easier for everyone to show what they can do. For instance, if it's coming down more often and being delivered a bit better, how much better do you think the likes of Members and the Bruce will go? Let alone the Gresh...?

Our blokes just need to believe! Our blokes just need a 'call to arms'!

Take it away Spicy McHaggis... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ctpx0zYgk :twisted:
I agree.
I am with Dave.
I am less worried about someone becoming a star - and more impressed with a good solid overall list.

Slight improvement across the board will make us a threat.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SaintPav wrote:We bat deep in the mid-field.

Lmfao.

You’ll see :wink:
Onya, Carl.

Lurve your optimism.

:D

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Pretty sure McGlynn is some kind of development coach. He is highly regarded and is doing a great job from all accounts. Good footballer too. Ex Hawk and Swan.
Ok 'highly regarded' as you love to say.
But the game plan v swans didnt really work out in 2017.
I was at that game and we were utterly embarrasing. Not even slightly competitive.
He works in development role with youngsters so I'm not sure what you are getting at regarding Sydney.

On a brighter note. Word is Playfair is bringing alot to the club as an assistant. He might make a big difference.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
minneapolis
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:I'm not convinced that 2018 is a make or break year. A sizable chunk of our list is either beginning to approach their peak or is still a few years off it. I expect that we will see gradual improvement from our young players for some time yet which will culminate in the team being ripe for a shot at a flag starting in 2020 IF we manage to land a couple of elite talents from elsewhere. We have a lot of solid citizens who should be quality players for 200 games but we lack the dominant talent that can take a final by the scruff of the neck and find a way to win when no one else can.
2020 is 3 years away. That's a football players lifetime for 80% of the AFL players. Why not just put off any expectation of success indefinitely?

If we don't improve substantially this year then the club has failed.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.