2018 Free Agents

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 2018 Free Agents

I agree that whoever the club wants, target now!

But, seeing as there was a swag of very good/elite players either available or at least potentially available this year and we could barely nab dust either via free agency or a trade (despite our available cap space and having two top ten draft picks), it's crucial we have a more successful 2018 season, play finals and prove to the rest of the competition that we're a club worth playing for.

We're clearly not on the player radar as a "destination" club and I fear that Sloane being a Saints fan in the past may count for little. We've had a red hot crack at him in the past and he still re-signed with the Crows.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

The pressure will be on Wayne Hughes, now. His role is to identify, target and try to attract players who are either out of contract, FAs, or "gettable" as they say in the industry. This year was a bit of a bust in that regard. Then again, maybe we didn't want what was on offer. I'd imagine he had the likes of Haynes, Tomlinson and Smith on the radar, but for one reason or another, we just couldn't get it done.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:I agree that whoever the club wants, target now!

But, seeing as there was a swag of very good/elite players either available or at least potentially available this year and we could barely nab dust either via free agency or a trade (despite our available cap space and having two top ten draft picks), it's crucial we have a more successful 2018 season, play finals and prove to the rest of the competition that we're a club worth playing for.

We're clearly not on the player radar as a "destination" club and I fear that Sloane being a Saints fan in the past may count for little. We've had a red hot crack at him in the past and he still re-signed with the Crows.

I would tend to think that if we want a star from another club that we are more likely to be able to gain a player whose contract is ending rather than a star who will be a FA as the link I posted has very few free agents who would make a significant difference to our list.

So that means trading like Dees have done with Lever.

FA

FA I think will be more likely to be achievable for a useful rather than star player.

Lynch I doubt would choose us

By the first game of 2019 Sloane will 29 and Gaff almost 27.

So to gain Sloane for 2019 you would need to believe that you are a contender in 2019. So how well our youth improves in 2018, and how well we select with our Picks 7 and 8, will be crucial in determining whether gaining Sloane would still be a good get or not. If we are looking a potential Grand Finalist then yes Sloane may be that extra edge to help get us there.

Gaff is not as good, but his playing window is probably longer as he is 2 years and 3 months younger, plus will probably be more gettable as less clubs are likely to target him that Sloane.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CarlD
Club Player

Given what the AFL did with the Motlop compensation you could be forgiven for thinking that they will "work their magic" in an effort to keep Tom Lynch at the Gold Coast. Having had Ablett go the AFL can't really afford to have their other marque player depart as well at this stage when GC have the wobbles up.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Sloane will be too old, Libratore is the pick of that bunch by a mile.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:The pressure will be on Wayne Hughes, now. His role is to identify, target and try to attract players who are either out of contract, FAs, or "gettable" as they say in the industry. This year was a bit of a bust in that regard. Then again, maybe we didn't want what was on offer. I'd imagine he had the likes of Haynes, Tomlinson and Smith on the radar, but for one reason or another, we just couldn't get it done.

Finish in the finals next year playing out of Moorabbin and it all will suddenly get much easier to attract real talent.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:The pressure will be on Wayne Hughes, now. His role is to identify, target and try to attract players who are either out of contract, FAs, or "gettable" as they say in the industry. This year was a bit of a bust in that regard. Then again, maybe we didn't want what was on offer. I'd imagine he had the likes of Haynes, Tomlinson and Smith on the radar, but for one reason or another, we just couldn't get it done.

Finish in the finals next year playing out of Moorabbin and it all will suddenly get much easier to attract real talent.
Posted that elsewhere, saynta. I think we may have underestimated the potential effects returning to our true home. From memberships to attracting sponsors and talent, I think it will provide a huge boost for the club.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Where has it been suggested that we could be playing games out of Moorabbin?

saint6709
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Where has it been suggested that we could be playing games out of Moorabbin?
I think we will be playing all of our games out of Moorabbin - I think we will soon be training in Moorabbin - which is what I think the previous poster was alluding to

supersaints
Club Player

For ALL the posters who think Slone will be too old if we get him next year, yet they wanted him badly this year need to realize that he would still be the same age regardless of which club he is at!

So unless you all believe our window was / is only open for one year (2018) then I would like an explanation from one of you... please

I honestly can't see your logic, and I'm very happy you Gurus don't work in our recruiting department.. because you have absolutely no one idea
He was either too old or not regardless??

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:For ALL the posters who think Slone will be too old if we get him next year, yet they wanted him badly this year need to realize that he would still be the same age regardless of which club he is at!

So unless you all believe our window was / is only open for one year (2018) then I would like an explanation from one of you... please

I honestly can't see your logic, and I'm very happy you Gurus don't work in our recruiting department.. because you have absolutely no one idea
He was either too old or not regardless??
Adelaide won't need Sloane next year with Gibbs there. I can see Sloane leaving and Tex's huge roll of the eyes when he announces it. He'd be wondering why no one wants to play with him.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
the dome
Club Player

Free Agents for Big clubs

Saintsrising unfortunately I think you are right when you said "Lynch I doubt would choose us".
& exactly at this crossroads the advantages continue falling the way of the likes of the dons & pies far too often.
Even with the pies being as ordinary as they've been of late they still enjoy the added bonus of the 'new' clubs
regularly dropping highly skilled young players into their laps when the glut of riches becomes too much to hold onto.
This happy dependency enjoyed by the pies for instance has become another pillar of unfair/ unnecessary advantage & when added to sweet stadium deals unlike (St.K; Dogs; Roos) it equals another leg up & then up again.
To me this is simply a bad overall plan.
Hope it ends sometime soon.

G O S A I N T S :o

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/r ... zduf1.html

Rory has put off contact talks with the Crows. Unrestricted Free Agent. He'd be turning 29 at the start of the 2019 season. See what happens I guess.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

He would be worth having on our list for 4-5 years. Will add strong leadership and expierence to the list plus he's a gun. Maybe he will choose a fairytale finish to his career back in Melbourne with his boyhood team.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Drake Huggins
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:
skeptic wrote:Where has it been suggested that we could be playing games out of Moorabbin?
I think we will be playing all of our games out of Moorabbin - I think we will soon be training in Moorabbin - which is what I think the previous poster was alluding to
That's what I was referring to, saint6709. Training and being based in Moorabbin will be a huge bonus. I don't think people realise what a negative impact basing ourselves in that shyte tip in Seaford had on the club. It was a symbol of our growing irrelevance as a club. Being back at Moorabbin will help enormously in all the areas I previously mentioned.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think Gaff is the one we should be chasing hard.
Younger. Ex local boy. Eagles possibly on the way down and rebuilding.
More gettable imo.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I don't put any faith in free agents this far out.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
Get real.

FFS.

The amount of s*** spoken here is ridiculous.

And when I call it out I get bagged for being 'negative'. Apparently being a true Sainter means believing a heap of bulls***? Is being a moron or a liar a pre-requisite?

Jesus Christ. There IS NOOOOOOOO suggestion we will play any games at Moorabbin.

We just signed a new deal at Etihad. FFS.

Stop lying.

Do you own property there or are you just plain dumb?

Mods need to stop focussing on me and start focussing on clear bullshitters.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
saint6709 wrote:
That's what I was referring to, saint6709. Training and being based in Moorabbin will be a huge bonus. I don't think people realise what a negative impact basing ourselves in that shyte tip in Seaford had on the club. It was a symbol of our growing irrelevance as a club. Being back at Moorabbin will help enormously in all the areas I previously mentioned.
Seaford was a disgusting decision.
Moorabbin is an improvment but nothing on what the Junction could have been.

Any suggestion we will play actual AFL games at Moorabbin is complete horse s***.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:He would be worth having on our list for 4-5 years. Will add strong leadership and expierence to the list plus he's a gun. Maybe he will choose a fairytale finish to his career back in Melbourne with his boyhood team.
Like Josh Kelly?

And Michael Hurley?

And Dyson Heppel?

And Dustin Martin?

Seriously. These are professional sportsmen. Forget the 'childhood dream' crap.

Should Lenny Hayes have played for the Swans??? According to you he should have.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Why do you constantly drag up old posts Con? You are just s*** stirring of course and causing issues with other posters.

Looking at the time and date of your 3 ridiculous and swear laden rants prior to mine, you had probably had a gutful!!!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC