2014 AFL Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

2014 AFL Draft

At the end of this year the performance of the following players must determine the fate of our recruiting staff:
Pick 1 - Paddy McCartin
Pick 21 - Hugh Goddard
Pick 22 - Daniel McKenzie
Pick 41 - Jack Lonie

Rookie elevation:
Darren Minchington
Eli Templeton
Cameron Shenton
Mav Weller

Rookie Draft:
Jack Sinclair
Ahmed Saad
Brenton Payne
Adam Schneider

Hope the first four nail it this year.

summertime and the living is easy ........
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2014 AFL Draft

Gershwin wrote:At the end of this year the performance of the following players must determine the fate of our recruiting staff:
Pick 1 - Paddy McCartin
Pick 21 - Hugh Goddard
Pick 22 - Daniel McKenzie
Pick 41 - Jack Lonie

Rookie elevation:
Darren Minchington
Eli Templeton
Cameron Shenton
Mav Weller

Rookie Draft:
Jack Sinclair
Ahmed Saad
Brenton Payne
Adam Schneider

Hope the first four nail it this year.
should've been the draft to set us up, after a good 2013 draft. Still got fingers crossed, especially for paddy, but at the moment only snclair from rookie looks a good get.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
DJ Higgins
Club Player

nice post. There is a lot of average in that draft list. I hate to say it but the best player for me out of that list is the Rookie

realdeal
Club Player

Not great reading but to be fair, overall, the 2014 AFL looks to be one of the weakest ever. Esp after pick 20.

There were only a handful of better on offer that we could've gotten and they were taken a fair way down the list.

Mitch McGovern, Caleb Daniels, Touk Miller being the main ones with Adam Saad as a rookie. Oh and Jack Steele of course. The rest are still debatable whether they would've been better picks or not..

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Forget where they were picked but after 3 seasons ...

A Grade: Sinclair (potential Elite)

B Grade: Weller (potential A Grade based on 2016 form)

C Grade: McKenzie (potential B Grade)

D Grade: McCartin (potential A Grade once grows AFL body and stays injury free)

D Grade: Goddard (potential B Grade once injury free - his lack of pace can be fixed)

D Grade: Minchington (potential B Grade but needs luck with injury - doubt he will get the chance)

D Grade: Lonie (potential B Grade if he finds composure with ball in hand - otherwise no future)

Not a bust at all ... mostly underwhelming due to injuries ... and plenty of upside in my view.

Re-visit this in 2 years. I think we have got 5 very good players from this draft - an Elite, 2 A graders and 2 B graders.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I think
That’s a fair summation of the potential upside USA

In my mind it’s very hard to judge paddy and Hugh due to the injury luck they’ve had. 2018 will hopefully give us a view of their potential.

D-mac and Lonie the most disappointing tho. Lonie simply because we could’ve had Daniel...and to run salt into the wound there was a pre draft video with trout and Co talking about how good he was

D-mac tho a massive disappointment. Reasonably high pick and looked like he could be anything. A tall attacking mid / winger with pace and good disposal. Instead he is a deer in the headlights and just looks nowhere near it. Hopefully things change but I’m not holding my breath. Also remember this time last year he was one of the guys ‘flying’ in the off-season?! Such a disappointing 2017 for him

#1 Ryder fan
footynut
Club Player

I wld love to see D-Mac given a chance on the wing or forward of centre. I still feel he has a big future

Saintly66
Club Player

Would play Rice next time they’re thinking of playing D Mac just don’t think he’ll make it same with Lonie.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wow, what a bust!

Goddard, McKenzie, Minchington and Lonie are all list cloggers, with possibly Paddy joining them if he can't get it sorted. (and from the rest of the list Wright is another clogger and Freeman a possible also if he doesn't get it sorted in 2018)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

If you’re looking at who we brought into the club it’s really only the four from the national draft plus Payne and Sinclair.

Other than Payne, the jury is out. Personally I don’t think Lonie will make it.

I still think Paddy will be a champ.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

geesus - if sinclair is A and Weller a B based on this years form, we already have a full 22 of A graders and elites.
i can only imagine your A means an average first team player? Most people would call that a C grader.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:geesus - if sinclair is A and Weller a B based on this years form, we already have a full 22 of A graders and elites.
i can only imagine your A means an average first team player? Most people would call that a C grader.
After Weller was injured his season dropped off for sure but the first handful of games I felt he played his role very very well.

He went from B to C to nudging D during the year as it wore on.

However in 2016 he was nudging A grade and could be argued A grade.

Sinclair is definitely A Grade in his role. Without doubt. Creative outside player. Runs to create space and options. Excellent ball use.

Footy is not about pure stats.

Roles, structures and performance levels are crucial to team success.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
shrodes
SS Life Member

footynut wrote:I wld love to see D-Mac given a chance on the wing or forward of centre. I still feel he has a big future
I agree, I think he is one that needs a more games pumped in. He looks nervous, but he will settle with time and become a good player if we play him I reckon.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Three picks in the top 25.
All, three seasons in, all should be regular players, some are, some are not.
But all for Sandringham.

Absolute disaster.
If any improvement comes it will be three years too late.
Top 25 players should bash down the door to play seniors regularly in their first season.
All three remain on our list but they are no more advanced than the guys we drafted in the last fortnight.

This is not how you recruit for premierships, it is how you recruit for more wooden spoons.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:geesus - if sinclair is A and Weller a B based on this years form, we already have a full 22 of A graders and elites.
The problem is most other clubs have 22 AAA+ players.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Forget where they were picked but after 3 seasons ...

A Grade: Sinclair (potential Elite)

B Grade: Weller (potential A Grade based on 2016 form)

C Grade: McKenzie (potential B Grade)

D Grade: McCartin (potential A Grade once grows AFL body and stays injury free)

D Grade: Goddard (potential B Grade once injury free - his lack of pace can be fixed)

D Grade: Minchington (potential B Grade but needs luck with injury - doubt he will get the chance)

D Grade: Lonie (potential B Grade if he finds composure with ball in hand - otherwise no future)

Not a bust at all ... mostly underwhelming due to injuries ... and plenty of upside in my view.

Re-visit this in 2 years. I think we have got 5 very good players from this draft - an Elite, 2 A graders and 2 B graders.
May I ask where you purchase those rose colored glasses good sir?

Sinclair is becoming a regular AFL player with good skills, but A grade is laughable.
He needs consistency over three seasons, win more of his own ball and perform when the side is down to consider that rating.

Other than being a #1 draft pick what has Paddy done to suggest he is A grade potential?

Weller was dumped by GC after three or four seasons and has played one decent AFL season in 2016.
What has he done to suggest he is potential A grade at 25 years old (guess at age)...?

I guess if you preface a comment with potential you can write anything you choose.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.