Welcome to St. Kilda - Oscar Clavarino

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome to St. Kilda - Oscar Clavarino

How did Clavarino rank against Balta?

Calvarino was all Australian full back.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Nick dal mentioned Oscar this morning- he has meet him through the academy the saints support

and Nathan Burke‏
@Nathan3Burke
Great work Saints. Oscar is an outstanding young man that will be captain of the saints by 2024. No pressure though. Welcome big fella.
must know him too

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Great video. We obviously had him earmarked as Armo rocked up pretty quick it seems!

That should be shown to every member and supporter. The club has come a long way with this sort of stuff.
And we traded our 2018 2nd round pick for this pick. Seemed like we had someone we liked in mind and it was this guy.
But we used this pick on Naish first - and then Richmond matched us. I know they were always going to do that, but it seems unlikely we had Oscar in mind for this specific pick if we were happy to use it on Naish.

He has been likened to Jake Lever so he can obviously play. Any of those kids who play for Haileybury are going to be decent because they have a good system there, and the parents are going to have high aspirations which rub off on their kids.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
Gershwin wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Great video. We obviously had him earmarked as Armo rocked up pretty quick it seems!

That should be shown to every member and supporter. The club has come a long way with this sort of stuff.
And we traded our 2018 2nd round pick for this pick. Seemed like we had someone we liked in mind and it was this guy.
But we used this pick on Naish first - and then Richmond matched us. I know they were always going to do that, but it seems unlikely we had Oscar in mind for this specific pick if we were happy to use it on Naish.

He has been likened to Jake Lever so he can obviously play. Any of those kids who play for Haileybury are going to be decent because they have a good system there, and parents are going to have aspirations which rub off on their kids.
They obviously rated Naish higher than Clavarino. Is Naish any good?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ace
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
Gershwin wrote:

He has been likened to Jake Lever so he can obviously play. Any of those kids who play for Haileybury are going to be decent because they have a good system there, and parents are going to have aspirations which rub off on their kids.
They obviously rated Naish higher than Clavarino. Is Naish any good?
They never seriously selected Naish.
They realised no club had forced Richmond's hand.
Richmond was going to get Naish as a freebee if someone did not act and force Richmond to match.
There was a lot of mirth when they named Naish because they knew that Richmond would have matched much earlier picks.

Job done, they then made their real selection but I fear they actually were wanting Paddy's bro but he was taken one pick earlier.
Armitage was probably on standby to go where directed.
The Clavarino house happened to be nearby.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

they took a heck of a long time to pick him, almost as if they threw the Naish pick in there to give them more time.
If they had of previously selected him, they would've immediately picked him the moment richmond matched their Naish bid.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Gershwin
Club Player

From Inside Football:
"Clav' had an interesting year. We still think he's a genuine key defender who has aggression at the footy but at times he needs to tweak whether he marks the ball rather than spoiling. There has been a knock on his short kick, but at the next level that will be cleaned up. His off-field leadership is very rare - much like (Sydney's) Luke Parker". - Dandenong Stingrays talent manager Mark Wheeler.

This is a fairly sober review by someone who knows him very well. I wish we knew more about his 'interesting' year.

summertime and the living is easy ........
DJ Higgins
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:they took a heck of a long time to pick him, almost as if they threw the Naish pick in there to give them more time.
If they had of previously selected him, they would've immediately picked him the moment richmond matched their Naish bid.
I thought the same thing. It seemed like they lost there place and then were rushed to name someone. Plus it was odd to name a midfielder then nominate a back? Either way welcome Oscar

Gershwin
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:
desertsaint wrote:they took a heck of a long time to pick him, almost as if they threw the Naish pick in there to give them more time.
I thought the same thing. It seemed like they lost there place and then were rushed to name someone. Plus it was odd to name a midfielder then nominate a back? Either way welcome Oscar
Nearly every phantom draft expert had Naish before Clavarino so it was a reasonable decision to go Naish. Then they may have been discussing whether Clav may have lasted until pick 46 based on who had been taken so for.
Personally I am disappointed we didn't take Naughton at 8. I think he would have leapfrogged Goddard and even Brown as a key Defender. We would have lost Coffield but could have taken Constable at 36.

summertime and the living is easy ........
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Nearly every phantom draft expert had Naish before Clavarino so it was a reasonable decision to go Naish. Then they may have been discussing whether Clav may have lasted until pick 46 based on who had been taken so for.
Personally I am disappointed we didn't take Naughton at 8. I think he would have leapfrogged Goddard and even Brown as a key Defender. We would have lost Coffield but could have taken Constable at 36.[/quote]

Agree with the Naish call but no way we could have know Constable would still be available if we got Naughton at 8 but agree that we seemed to fill up the back line but missed the best key defender in the draft (on paper). Seemed odd but smarter minds than me must know something I missed

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 88f22d6fb3
While rebounding defender Oscar Clavarino sat at home, “sick to my stomach” surrounded by family and friends to find out whether his AFL wish would be granted, the Saints plotted a cherry on top for the teenager.

Eventually calling the Dandenong Stingray’s name with pick 35, St Kilda played another ace, sending key midfielder David Armitage around to the celebration to meet his new teammate.

“It was (a surprise),” Clavarino said.
I had a phone call from the (club) media team who said they’d love to come around and present a jumper.

“When he (Armitage) rocked up with them it was pretty exciting to see him and I finally realised these were the guys I was going to be hanging out with.

“I’m super keen to get going.”

The club’s draftees were put through their first session at Seaford on Monday with all four — including Clavarino — admitting it was “surreal” to be training alongside faces they had long watched on television.

Clavarino, 18, said he had spoken to St Kilda “three or four times” in the lead-up to the draft but had remained in the dark as to whether he would be selected.

His close friend Josh Battle — a former classmate at Haileybury College — has been at St Kilda for 12 months already, and the defender said he has long eyed his now-teammate for tips.

“Things like diet and little things that he does during the year, because he’s pretty switched on with his footy,” he said.

“To have him to look up to — even though he was a first-year player — was really good and to have him to fall back on if ever I need it is pretty good.”

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107