Media Rating of our Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Media Rating of our Draft

ST KILDA

Picks (at start of night): 7, 8, 34, 45

Selections: Hunter Clark (7), Nick Coffield (8), Oscar Clavarino (35), Ben Paton (46)

St Kilda stole the show inside the top 10. Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield were clearly the best players on the board, with the duo both skilful in their position. That class is what the Saints lack — and what they addressed at this year’s draft. They also attempted to fill a void in a key-position role down back, picking up Oscar Clavarino — who is great at reading the play. Ben Paton is another fine intercept player who can also add a bit of rebound. St Kilda’s defensive stocks are certainly stronger after this.
BUCKENARA SAYS: St Kilda has some really good players on their list but what they’re crying out for is some star power and I think they might have found it in Hunter Clark. The No.7 pick is really highly-rated, he’s got some real upside and is a competitor who also brings an x-factor. I really like his competitiveness. I also rate Nick Coffield, I think he’s going to be a really good player in the future. His speed and size makes him the perfect modern-day halfback/midfielder. He’s also a potential star. The Saints really nailed picks 7 and 8. The club also addressed a need for a developing key defender for the future behind Jake Carlisle and Nathan Brown, while Ben Paton uses the ball really well and makes good decisions by both hand and foot.

THE VERDICT: The Saints were always going to be one of the big winners with two picks inside the top-10 but you’ve got to nail your selections and I think they Saints have done that. They’ve also addressed two needs with their later picks, which is the cherry on top.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Media Rating of our Draft

Saints did well at the draft. We have to give it to Trout and co this year.

The more I hear about Claravino the more I like him. It was actually a very good call when analysed fully.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Where did that first review come from? Trout's office? I love our picks but HUGE call saying 7 & 8 are better than 1-6!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The Age (realfooty) pretty much said we won the draft. If not us, then Freo.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Where did that first review come from? Trout's office? I love our picks but HUGE call saying 7 & 8 are better than 1-6!
I took 'on the board' to mean 'after 1-6'. Now Im confused but a tad more excited!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Where did that first review come from? Trout's office? I love our picks but HUGE call saying 7 & 8 are better than 1-6!
I took 'on the board' to mean 'after 1-6'. Now Im confused but a tad more excited!
On the board means still to be picked, not overall.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
On the board means still to be picked, not overall.
Hmmmm so implied should be:

Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield were clearly the best players STILL on the board AFTER PICK 6.

Rather than

Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield were clearly the best players on the board OVERALL.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I certainly didn't read it like that at all. I read it as the best picks available at 7 and 8

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You should send him a warning.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
THE VERDICT: The Saints were always going to be one of the big winners with two picks inside the top-10 but you’ve got to nail your selections and I think they Saints have done that. They’ve also addressed two needs with their later picks, which is the cherry on
All things being relative, the assumption is we were going to do well given our two picks inside ten..

DJ Higgins
Club Player

If you read all of BUCKENARA article he says most clubs did really well and were the big winners so grain of salt with him.

I prefer this review from http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/2 ... ers-losers. I think it is fair and you get to see the clubs who did better and worse for what they had going in and what they got.

SOLID EFFORT
St Kilda
St Kilda picked according to the script, taking Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield with picks seven and eight. Oscar Clavarino and Ben Paton as a key defender and half-back flanker respectively are strong value gets.
Grade: B+

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn gets an A+.

Seriously.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

That is a shocking review.

on the outer
Club Player

How can you rate a draft before they have played a game.

It makes no sense, I like how racing tipsters do the form but I would wait till after the race to work out whether their a A, B, C rating.

David-Lee
Club Player

Based on player performance in various comps and combine ( if they participate) and endless interviews....we sat at the combine in 2013 watching Bontempelli get hammered before, inbetween and after with 5-10 minutes interviews from 8 people ( I only recognised 2) and overhearing just a few questions with breeze blowing oir way... they were putting it to him no fluffy questions about his favourite ice cream. I thought struth this is in the open...imagine the interviews behind closed soors....if any team makes a pick a hell of a lot of dollars in resources has been invested. Granted everyone cocks up and makes poor draft choices in every flipping draft in every code globally. I feel we have had some amazeballs and flops.

I did want other position players but no doubt we did REALLY damn good ( yes I was a cry baby at first and needed someone one to pat me on the poo poo). But watcging game reels, reading reviews I was wrong and I reckon there's many teams ready to jump on our boys if we left them on the board.

Not sure of everyone but watched Clavarino play and he is the one I am actually quietly thinking could leap frog Goddard.

ace
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Saints did well at the draft. We have to give it to Trout and co this year.

The more I hear about Claravino the more I like him. It was actually a very good call when analysed fully.

But the most important issues are not addressed
Do they have good characters ?
Are they fantastic members of the community ?
Do the come from wonderful families ?

Issue far more important than ability to play footy.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Saints did well at the draft. We have to give it to Trout and co this year.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

ace wrote:

You sound like Con G!! Although it does seem he has turned the corner a bit!!