Best 22 (Post Draft)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

diddley
Club Player

Best 22 (Post Draft)

Anyone want to have a crack at the Best 22 now that the draft is done.
Does it change anything at all?
Clarke has been touted as a "Plug and Play" player that is ready to go.
Paton is slightly older, having missed being selected last year.
Coffield being so versatile.
Clavarino, while he will probably need to develop for a while, was named U/18 All Australian, along with Paton and Coffield.
Anyone think these players will have a crack early in 2018?
or at any time at all in 2018?

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Best 22 (Post Draft)

Based on draft no, while i think Coffied and Clark will play seniors in 2018 i would hope they aren't in our best side or it will be an inditement on those already on the list.

Here is my crack:

B: Geary, Brown, Webster
HB: Roberton, Carlisle , Savage
C: Newness, Ross, Sinclair
HF: Billings, Bruce, Acres
F: Membrey, McCartin, Gresham
Foll: Longer, Steven, Steele
Int: Gilbert, Weller, Armitage, Dunstan
Emerg: Hickey, White, Stevens

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dont think it changes for 2018.

These two blokes will definitely play a few games in 2018 but both need a couple of pre-seasons in the gym.

Elshaugh mentioned that Coffield might not even have stopped growing upwards yet.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Dont think it changes for 2018.

These two blokes will definitely play a few games in 2018 but both need a couple of pre-seasons in the gym.

Elshaugh mentioned that Coffield might not even have stopped growing upwards yet.
I like the look of Paton from the video. Kicks the ball in from behinds, seems to have both a clean short pass and a raking clearing kick, kicks both feet naturally, solid mark for 185cm, excellent intercept smarts and good pace.

He looks like a potential upgrade defensively on Savage with similar skills and a skill upgrade on Geary with strong defensive skills.

He is a wirey 77 kg and looks strong enough to hold his ground and absorb a tackle. As an elite junior, he played senior footy at 16 and won a B&F from 18 games in the midfield and had a taste of VFL at 17 so the size may not be an issue. He looks a no thrills, dependable type.

An AA under 18, he has had to work hard without the attention and accolades others have enjoyed. A quiet achiever.

Considering Joey is gone and Savage and Webster havent yet cemented their spots and Newnes has cruised under the radar, in a time when we were short of skill and run, I have a feelling he may have the best opportunity of all four to prove himself early on.

Hopefully all four will develop quickly and put pressure on the squad to improve.
Last edited by CQ SAINT on Sat 25 Nov 2017 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:

I like the look of Paton from the video. Kicks the ball in from behinds, seems to have both a clean short pass and a racking clearing kick, kicks both feet naturally, solid mark for 185cm and excellent intercept smarts and good pace.

He looks like a potential upgrade defensively on Savage with similar skills and a skill upgrade on Geary with strong defensive skills.

He is a wirey 77 kg and looks strong enough to hold his ground and absorb a tackle. As an elite junior, he played senior footy at 16 and won a B&F from 18 games in the midfield and had a taste of VFL at 17 so the size may not be an issue. He looks a no thrills, dependable type.

An AA under 18, he has had to work hard without the attention and accolades others have enjoyed. A quiet achiever.

Considering Joey is gone and Savage and Webster havent yet cemented their spots and Newnes has cruised under the radar, in a time when we were short of skill and run, I have a feelling he may have the best opportunity of all four to prove himself early on.

Hopefully all four will develop quickly and put pressure on the squad to improve.
Fair call.

Both Savage and Geary out of contract after 2019 season.

So if Ben Paton is any good then they will both go then.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Good post CQ

Gershwin
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

I like the look of Paton from the video. Kicks the ball in from behinds, seems to have both a clean short pass and a racking clearing kick, kicks both feet naturally, solid mark for 185cm and excellent intercept smarts and good pace.

Fair call.

Wonder where this leaves Bailey Rice?

summertime and the living is easy ........
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Fair call.

Wonder where this leaves Bailey Rice?
In the mix still I would imagine. I.just think that Paton may be another Sinclair type smokey. Thing is, we can only play 22 but any way it turns we have to start developing 2 sides not just a best 22. We need to think in terms of a best 32 and have the balls to develop depth, flexibility and tradeability to move beyond what Lyon and his squad produced. Geelong Hawthorn and Sydney do it very well.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

We have been very lucky with injury last year or two and depth had not been tested. We may well need to dig down a bit deeper into the list if and when things turn.

Nee!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Same old, same old. Might as well have been done after round 22.

With due respect, this really is a pointless exercise.

All positions should be up for grabs and if Richo coaches like he wants us to to get us to 8 and isn't prepared to take a risk and show a bit of vision, we're stuffed and we need a new coach.

If we go down the ladder as a consequence, so be it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
footynut
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Same old, same old. Might as well have been done after round 22.

With due respect, this really is a pointless exercise.

All positions should be up for grabs and if Richo coaches like he wants us to to get us to 8 and isn't prepared to take a risk and show a bit of vision, we're stuffed and we need a new coach.

If we go down the ladder as a consequence, so be it.
Great post!!!

SuperDuper
Club Player

fugazi wrote:We have been very lucky with injury last year or two and depth had not been tested. We may well need to dig down a bit deeper into the list if and when things turn.
I recon we have around 4 guys who are old enough to play but really are very unlikely to.. and are really just VFL standard
And then a quite a few who are still young

It is hard to tell who will step up to become AFL standard.. i.e can contribute to victories at that level.. last year we played a few games where we could not cover our "outs". We were in trouble once we had more than 2-3 injuries..

At the fringes, hopefully White and Rice step up a notch this year and can at least provide good cover... hopefully McKenzie also improves although I am not convinced.. and hopefully Freeman can stay on the park and prove himself an AFL player!!

Marshall and Austin are another two who may be able to step up and provide good cover for KPPs if they improve, which they should given their age

footynut
Club Player

Not sure about round one, but by the end of the year

Geary - Austin - Webster
Coffield - Carlisle - Roberton
Steven - Ross - Sinclair
Billings - Bruce - Clark
Membrey - McCartin - Gresham

Longer - Steele - Acres

Int: Dunstan, Newnes, Stevens, White/Goddard (depending on opposition/match ups)

footynut
Club Player

Does Goddard have the capability to rotate through the Ruck?

If so he could move from the backline to the ruck to the forward line. Imagine the flexibility that would give us

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Fair call.

Which means (to us glass half-full types) that both Savage and Geary are contracted for the next 2 seasons! :)

Saint supporter since '62
footynut
Club Player

Tjos may not be our best team at yhe moment. But it makes me excited & its diferent.

FB Webster Austin Robo
HB Carlisle Goddard White
C Steven Steele Sinclair
HF Billings Paddy Freeman
FF Gresham Bruce/Battle Membrey
R Longer Acres Seb
Int Newnes Geary Clark Armo
I know i went tall but who cares. I also want Battle but realise he's not ready

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

The most exciting team by years end if everyone progresses to their potential:

B: Geary Austin White
HB: Roberton Carlisle Webster
C: Coffield Ross Clark
HF: Billings Bruce Acres
F: Membrey McCartin Gresham
R: Longer Steele Steven
I/C: Sinclair, Dunstan, Battle, Newnes
Emg: Freeman, Paton, Minchington

No Gilbert, Armo, Brown or Weller even though they probably start the year there.

Nee!