Welcome to St. Kilda - Oscar Clavarino

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome to St. Kilda - Oscar Clavarino

DJ Higgins wrote:
Skeptic I disagree with you regarding Hunter Clarke. Virtually all the things I have read have him as a defender that drifts into the midfield. And when he does he plays an inside role. Below is a fair article about him. Kid has talent no doubt about it but IMO and everything I have read on him he is a half back flanker. I am more annoyed at our last 2 picks as Hunter and Coffield were tipped for us unless we got a slider. Why get 2 more defenders?
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/hunter-clark/

Clark became a valuable inside and outside midfielder this season, having previously played as rebounding defender.
He averaged 30 disposals in TAC cup and won his club B & F by miles including thrashing LDU at the same club.

He is not a flanker.

In an interview he says he deliberately played midfield this season. The only reason he dropped from the top 5 and had a slow start to the season was because he was injured. In the last month of the season he was dominating not unlike Clayton Oliver did.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 25 Nov 2017 3:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Looks like an awesome night!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:How good is that footage of the Clavarino clan erupting when Oscar's name is read out !
Kudos to the family and friends, Armo, Oscar himself, and to the Saints for setting it all up.
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-11- ... raft-night
Yep, almost brings a tear to the eye.
Happy to be a saint!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

A bit of Harry Taylor about him.
Read the flight of the ball nicely.
Good Italian family.
Armo probably tucked in to some good food.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:
Skeptic I disagree with you regarding Hunter Clarke. Virtually all the things I have read have him as a defender that drifts into the midfield. And when he does he plays an inside role. Below is a fair article about him. Kid has talent no doubt about it but IMO and everything I have read on him he is a half back flanker. I am more annoyed at our last 2 picks as Hunter and Coffield were tipped for us unless we got a slider. Why get 2 more defenders?

Clark became a valuable inside and outside midfielder this season, having previously played as rebounding defender.
He averaged 30 disposals in TAC cup and won his club B & F by miles including thrashing LDU at the same club.

He is not a flanker.

In an interview he says he deliberately played midfield this season. The only reason he dropped from the top 5 and had a slow start to the season was because he was injured. In the last month of the season he was dominating not unlike Clayton Oliver did.
Con, I will be very surprised if he does not start as a half back flanker. from the same article

Clark could also iron out his outside game, because he is a superb inside midfielder, but his kicking on the outside and outside work can still improve. He has shown he is capable of playing off a half-back flank, which is where he might start before progressing into the midfield.

Agree that he looks like being a gun in the future but disagree that he wont start off in the half back flank before he gets he's skills up to become an outside mid. He did play in the midfield during the year but he other articles have him playing in the back as well. He also played as an inside mid not an outside mid which is what we need and that is now the area of he's game that needs to be worked on. IMO, he isn't an outside mid yet and will now fight for a spot with all the other non KPD backs.

But all this was expected as was Nick Coffield who, IMO, will start from the HBF . My confusion comes from our last 2 picks. Why more defenders

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Great video. We obviously had him earmarked as Armo rocked up pretty quick it seems!

That should be shown to every member and supporter. The club has come a long way with this sort of stuff.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:He looks like he has skills but our major flaw is not enough class and pace in the midfield. And we didn't fix that tonight. We have players that may eventually move into the mid field but what do we do until then? Seriously disappointed after tonight.
Regardless of how people spin it we got 4 defenders. 4. ridiculous.
What is your expertise?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Gershwin
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Great video. We obviously had him earmarked as Armo rocked up pretty quick it seems!

That should be shown to every member and supporter. The club has come a long way with this sort of stuff.
And we traded our 2018 2nd round pick for this pick. Seemed like we had someone we liked in mind and it was this guy.

summertime and the living is easy ........
DJ Higgins
Club Player

[quote="parkeysainter"]Great video. We obviously had him earmarked as Armo rocked up pretty quick it seems!

How awkward would it have been for Armo if we didn't pick him and someone saw him out the front in all his saints gear?
Does that mean that there were other saints players out the front of other potential picks places? Super awkward if they were spotted :oops:

DJ Higgins
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:He looks like he has skills but our major flaw is not enough class and pace in the midfield. And we didn't fix that tonight. We have players that may eventually move into the mid field but what do we do until then? Seriously disappointed after tonight.
What is your expertise?
With what exactly? You can argue Clark payed in the midfield but from what I have read he is a defender who is in the process of becoming a mid plus played as an inside mid this year and a fairly good one from all accounts but he needs to now work on his outside game . The other three are all backs. That means that not one of our 4 picks played as an outside mid last year, which is our biggest area of improvement?
I don't see which one of these will play as an outside mid for us for a while if at all in the case of the latter 2 picks?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
What is your expertise?
With what exactly? You can argue Clark payed in the midfield but from what I have read he is a defender who is in the process of becoming a mid plus played as an inside mid this year and a fairly good one from all accounts but he needs to now work on his outside game . The other three are all backs. That means that not one of our 4 picks played as an outside mid last year, which is our biggest area of improvement?
I don't see which one of these will play as an outside mid for us for a while if at all in the case of the latter 2 picks?
What have you read?
It is there in plain English.
He played as an inside and outside midfielder in 2017.
He played as a defender in 2016.

What is confusing you?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

You need to read multiple articles as one is never enough and one may miss something or misstate something. He played as an outside mid in 2016 which has been pointed out in another thread. He then spent 2017 transitioning into an inside mid which he had success at and which seems to suit him more. He has the skills to do both but 2017 he spent becoming an inside mid and this did come at the cost of his outside game

Clark has transformed his game from outside midfielder in 2016 to a genuine inside midfielder this year and possesses the capacity to play either role. He is a likely late first, or second-round draft choice with his production, stoppage work, endurance and outside run all features of his game.Hunter Clark

a different post
Half-back/midfielder
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

186cm/79kg
26/3/99
Some groin troubles saw Clark start the season a little slowly, but he's grown into the year and is in good form. After spending the past couple of years as a half-back, Clark has moved into an inside midfield role and started to collect plenty of the ball. He had 30 disposals (14 contested) and eight tackles last weekend for the Stingrays, and has proven himself to be a tough, hard and competitive player. He can kick on both feet and isn't afraid to put his body on the line.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:You need to read multiple articles as one is never enough and one may miss something or misstate something. He played as an outside mid in 2016 which has been pointed out in another thread. He then spent 2017 transitioning into an inside mid which he had success at and which seems to suit him more. He has the skills to do both but 2017 he spent becoming an inside mid and this did come at the cost of his outside game

Clark has transformed his game from outside midfielder in 2016 to a genuine inside midfielder this year and possesses the capacity to play either role. He is a likely late first, or second-round draft choice with his production, stoppage work, endurance and outside run all features of his game.Hunter Clark

a different post
Half-back/midfielder
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

186cm/79kg
26/3/99
Some groin troubles saw Clark start the season a little slowly, but he's grown into the year and is in good form. After spending the past couple of years as a half-back, Clark has moved into an inside midfield role and started to collect plenty of the ball. He had 30 disposals (14 contested) and eight tackles last weekend for the Stingrays, and has proven himself to be a tough, hard and competitive player. He can kick on both feet and isn't afraid to put his body on the line.
So you are relying on other peoples judgments!

You know as much as I do about these guys which isn't much. Wait until you see them play in the flesh before you make your judgments. There is no point arguing!

the dome
Club Player

'Chips' & 'Sizzler' both deserve a tick

That's right saynta S.Fisher was 'Chips'
Another one I was having trouble remembering yesterday was 'Sizzler'
'Sizzler' for Steven Sziller.
- apparently Tom Hafey gets the recognition for this one by miss-pronouncing Sziller
& getting 'Sizzler' :D

SuperDuper
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:

He is not a flanker.

agree HC is a mid... it is normal for mids to play an under-age year at TAC cup level on a flank, because the older kids are in the midfield

but the LDU comparison needs some info... LDU played only 6 games for Dandy, was named in the best 5 times and was named BOG 2 times... HC played 13 games with 9 times in the best and 6 BOGs

So LDU has a higher rate of being in the bests (although from a small sample) but HC has a higher rate of BOGs

Anyway... lets hope that HC develops well

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Great video. We obviously had him earmarked as Armo rocked up pretty quick it seems!

And we traded our 2018 2nd round pick for this pick. Seemed like we had someone we liked in mind and it was this guy.
correct. This seems to be the key. I wonder how many other clubs liked him?

I know that within the club there is a lot of uncertainty about Goddard - that's bleedingly obvious to me!

All we need is for the Big Italian to develop so that by 2020 he can take Brown's spot, as Brown will be done and dusted by then IMO.

Goddard is cooked, too slow, I wouldn't be surprised if Clavarino overtakes him during the 2019 season already.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Gershwin wrote:

I know that within the club there is a lot of uncertainty about Goddard - that's bleedingly obvious to me!

All we need is for the Big Italian to develop so that by 2020 he can take Brown's spot, as Brown will be done and dusted by then IMO.

Goddard is cooked, too slow, I wouldn't be surprised if Clavarino overtakes him during the 2019 season already.
If we traded back into the second round to target a specific player, how do you know that player wasn’t already gone?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think Nate Brown was terrific in 2017.
He saved our bacon multiple times and won us a couple of games single handedly.
But.
I think he might end up being cooked sooner rather than later.
Cant see him playing any games at all in 2019.
The game might just pass him by.
Especially if the trend for small fwd lines continues.
Would we play Brown v Richmond? No.
We couldn't play both Carlisle and Brown against a midget fwd line like Richmond have.

Gershwin
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Gershwin wrote:

If we traded back into the second round to target a specific player, how do you know that player wasn’t already gone?
Clearly you don't for sure but we must have been pretty confident if we were filming it and had Armo waiting outside.

summertime and the living is easy ........
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I think there was a big time gap between his name being called and Armo rocking up. He says something about lots of people turning up after his name was called.

But however it happened, I reckon it’s great they sent him around.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Lets hope he becomes a good player.
He'll have to make history

In red white and black from 73
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Lets hope he becomes a good player.
He'll have to make history
James Hird taken at pick 79

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I think there was a big time gap between his name being called and Armo rocking up. He says something about lots of people turning up after his name was called.

But however it happened, I reckon it’s great they sent him around.
correct his name was called around 8 pm

the first tweet and picture appears around 10- given he is almost a local and the club had a contact with him via Josh Battle would have been simple enough to set up

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ace
Saintsational Legend

Clavarino, LDU, Aidan Bonar, all three Brayshaw boys, Charlie Constable, Jackson Ross, Josh Battle, Nathan Freeman, Lewis Pierce - All Haileybury boys.
Add in Tom Scully from 2009, the King twins from the 2018 draft.
I think we need Clavarino, Battle, Freeman, Pierce to hold a school reunion at Morrabbin.
Invite Scully, LDU, some Brayshaws, Bonar to join our midfield and I am sure we can find places for all them.
You know it makes sense just like Sam Kekovich says.

2012: Lewis Pierce (St Kilda)
2013: Nathan Freeman (Collingwood/St Kilda) and Karl Amon (Port Adelaide)
2014: Angus Brayshaw (Melbourne) and Sean McLaren (Sydney)*
2015: Kieran Collins (Western Bulldogs)
2016: Jack Scrimshaw (Gold Coast), Josh Battle (St Kilda) and Cameron Polson (Carlton)
2017: Andrew Brayshaw (Fremantle), Luke Davies-Uniacke (North Melbourne), Aiden Bonar (GWS), Oscar Clavarino (St Kilda), Charlie Constable (Geelong), Hamish Brayshaw (West Coast), Jackson Ross (Hawthorn)
2018: Max King, Ben King, Sam Loewe (St Kilda)

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.