Saints best 22 (from AFL.com.au)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saints best 22 (from AFL.com.au)

B: Jarryn Geary, Nathan Brown, Dylan Roberton
HB: Shane Savage, Jake Carlisle, Jimmy Webster
C: Jack Sinclair, Jack Steele, Jack Newnes
HF: Blake Acres, Josh Bruce, Jack Billings
F: Jade Gresham, Paddy McCartin, Tim Membrey
R: Billy Longer, Seb Ross, Jack Steven
INT: Koby Stevens, Sam Gilbert, David Armitage, Mav Weller

NOTES: A relatively conservative side here, with experienced names picked over younger types. Brandon White and Daniel McKenzie will push Shane Savage hard for a spot across half-back, while Bailey Rice will be hot on their heels. Despite impressive late season form, Luke Dunstan did not make the team because of the Saints' glut of inside midfielders. The one that would have St Kilda fans excited is Nathan Freeman. His story is well-known – four years without a game because of a career restricted by continuous hamstring setbacks. A right ankle injury ended his 2017 prematurely but he should be in contention for an AFL spot early next year.

REMAINING SENIOR LIST: Logan Austin, Josh Battle, Luke Dunstan, Nathan Freeman, Hugh Goddard, Tom Hickey, Jason Holmes, Ben Long, Jack Lonie, Daniel McKenzie, Darren Minchington, Ed Phillips, Lewis Pierce, Bailey Rice, Brandon White, Nathan Wright

REMAINING ROOKIE LIST: Ray Connellan, Darragh Joyce, Rowan Marshall, Nick O'Kearney - Dinny Navaratnam

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Saints best 22 (from AFL.com.au)

Not a bad side but I would make a couple of changes.
I would prefer Dunstan over Armitage and Weller.
Possibly Goddard or Austin over N. Brown.
50/50 whether to replace Webster or Savage with White.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Possibly Goddard or Austin over N. Brown.
Brown had a very good season. Both Goddard and Austin have their work cut out if they are to replace him in the team over 2018. Having said that, Goddard and Austin have plenty of potential, so it would only be bonus for both to cut their teeth in our best 22.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
realdeal
Club Player

Oh no..
if Hickey is fit he's in for '1mrk' Longer easily!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yes, not very inspiring.

Rhetoric question, but where is the star power?

What worries me is apart from the lack of class and x factor, there are about ten players in that team with question marks over there heads.

Other observations:

Dunstan has to be in front of Armitage.

Brown was very serviceable last season but he is a log.

Bruce needs to play a different role.

Hoping that at least one of our DP is ready to go.

We really need McCartin, Freeman, Long, White, McKenzie, Goddard, Battle and Rice to come good or we are facing another rebuild.

This is written by a misinformed 'journo'.
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 07 Nov 2017 7:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Gee. I thought NOK was delisted and Pierce sent to the Rookie list?

longtimesaint
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:Gee. I thought NOK was delisted and Pierce sent to the Rookie list?
NOK was delisted as well as Jason Holmes who has been shown as on the primary list.

One year will be our year
BadRossco
Club Player

Good VFL side but prefer Port Melbourne

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The thing to look for is where the improvement will come from.
That back six (and gilbo) is pretty settled - maybe webster has improvement in him - the rest are mature footballers.
The mids - well if dunstan isn't our third best mid I'll go whee. improvement - let's hope a lot. Sinclair very overrated on here based on his cleanliness and potential - if he lives up to it he'll be the big improver. Acres we need to start showing more consistency in taking the game on. Dunstan - if he can sustain his end of year form he'll be a beauty and our best. Steven we ned back in 2016 form, Ross a repeat of last year, but to do more with the ball. Armo back to best form would be great. Newnes another that needs to step up on last year. Stevens needs more consistency, good depth player oterwise. Steele looks a beauty and will just get better - either he or Dunstan will be our most important going forward.
The long odds hope - can Freeman repay the investment? Can Longer compete around the ground?
Forwards - Billings is looking well worth pick three if he can start kicking goals. Greshman is over the second year blues and will be our best small forward for the years ahead. Bruce needs to hold more marks and kick more goals - massively important. Membrey needs to get more ball. Mav needs a big improvement in quantity and quality of use.
The great hope - McCartin becomes a genuine power forward.
Others - Marshall looked deserving of more games last year. White should get some games. Rice and Goddard hopefully will be good enough to fight for a spot.Long and Battle don't look ready. Austin unknown.

Looks a pretty bland side on paper and form, but if most of those needed to come on, do so, we're a finals team - if we learn to kick bloody straight!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:Oh no..

No he's not.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:The thing to look for is where the improvement will come from.
That back six (and gilbo) is pretty settled - maybe webster has improvement in him - the rest are mature footballers.
The mids - well if dunstan isn't our third best mid I'll go whee. improvement - let's hope a lot. Sinclair very overrated on here based on his cleanliness and potential - if he lives up to it he'll be the big improver. Acres we need to start showing more consistency in taking the game on. Dunstan - if he can sustain his end of year form he'll be a beauty and our best. Steven we ned back in 2016 form, Ross a repeat of last year, but to do more with the ball. Armo back to best form would be great. Newnes another that needs to step up on last year. Stevens needs more consistency, good depth player oterwise. Steele looks a beauty and will just get better - either he or Dunstan will be our most important going forward.
The long odds hope - can Freeman repay the investment? Can Longer compete around the ground?
Forwards - Billings is looking well worth pick three if he can start kicking goals. Greshman is over the second year blues and will be our best small forward for the years ahead. Bruce needs to hold more marks and kick more goals - massively important. Membrey needs to get more ball. Mav needs a big improvement in quantity and quality of use.
The great hope - McCartin becomes a genuine power forward.
Others - Marshall looked deserving of more games last year. White should get some games. Rice and Goddard hopefully will be good enough to fight for a spot.Long and Battle don't look ready. Austin unknown.

Looks a pretty bland side on paper and form, but if most of those needed to come on, do so, we're a finals team - if we learn to kick bloody straight!
Its a good ordinary side at the moment but if the young brigade of players come good and improve then we will lose the ordinary in the good ordinary tag.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:B: Jarryn Geary, Nathan Brown, Dylan Roberton
HB: Shane Savage, Jake Carlisle, Jimmy Webster
C: Jack Sinclair, Jack Steele, Jack Newnes
HF: Blake Acres, Josh Bruce, Jack Billings
F: Jade Gresham, Paddy McCartin, Tim Membrey
R: Billy Longer, Seb Ross, Jack Steven
INT: Koby Stevens, Sam Gilbert, David Armitage, Mav Weller

NOTES: A relatively conservative side here, with experienced names picked over younger types. Brandon White and Daniel McKenzie will push Shane Savage hard for a spot across half-back, while Bailey Rice will be hot on their heels. Despite impressive late season form, Luke Dunstan did not make the team because of the Saints' glut of inside midfielders. The one that would have St Kilda fans excited is Nathan Freeman. His story is well-known – four years without a game because of a career restricted by continuous hamstring setbacks. A right ankle injury ended his 2017 prematurely but he should be in contention for an AFL spot early next year.

REMAINING SENIOR LIST: Logan Austin, Josh Battle, Luke Dunstan, Nathan Freeman, Hugh Goddard, Tom Hickey, Jason Holmes, Ben Long, Jack Lonie, Daniel McKenzie, Darren Minchington, Ed Phillips, Lewis Pierce, Bailey Rice, Brandon White, Nathan Wright

REMAINING ROOKIE LIST: Ray Connellan, Darragh Joyce, Rowan Marshall, Nick O'Kearney - Dinny Navaratnam
I think Dunstan is clearly in our best 22 and will get a run before Koby Stevens.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

This article demonstrates why we should pay scant attention to these sorts of offerings. Poorly researched with several basic errors. Jason Holmes might struggle to get a game along with NOK. I only hope this was written some time ago before the list adjustments came out. Otherwise, it is a lazy, formulaic piece, probably borne out of a directive to satisfy a need to fill a few column inches. Shows no insight, and relies on the most conservative approach possible. Clearly, there's no insider's info or insight. Pass.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:This article demonstrates why we should pay scant attention to these sorts of offerings. Poorly researched with several basic errors. Jason Holmes might struggle to get a game along with NOK. I only hope this was written some time ago before the list adjustments came out. Otherwise, it is a lazy, formulaic piece, probably borne out of a directive to satisfy a need to fill a few column inches. Shows no insight, and relies on the most conservative approach possible. Clearly, there's no insider's info or insight. Pass.
Nicely sums up at least 80% of all journalism.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
repta
Club Player

good to solid best first up squad. My concerns is that it is shallow. Dunstan Hickey and Lonie aside the rest have played a handful of games between them.

saintbob
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote:Not a bad side but I would make a couple of changes.
I would prefer Dunstan over Armitage and Weller.
Possibly Goddard or Austin over N. Brown.
50/50 whether to replace Webster or Savage with White.
Webster has had back to back top 10 finishes in the B&F he's keeping his spot.

stonecold
SS Life Member

realdeal wrote:Oh no..
No he's not!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Drake Huggins
Club Player

I'm with saynta. How could anyone who knows anything about St.Kilda leave him out? He is highly regarded, internally, a future captain according to some. His finish to the season last year, when everyone else looked completely cooked, was a revelation. I think we'll see a return to the form he showed in his first year, now that he's over his injuries and has had a decent kick up the bum from the selectors and coach. Go "Donny".

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."