Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in history..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Re: Saints were involved in one of the worst trades in histo

Any way you add it up, it's hilarious. One can only hope he stuffs this year's trades up as badly. I know Schadenfreude is not a healthy thing to indulge in, but in this case, a little of what's bad for you is actually good.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
degruch wrote:
Captain Impossible wrote:I thought Essendon used our pick 5 on Darcy Parish?
They did...Francis was #6. However, our #5 became #6 because of a change in the draft order...can't remember why.
No - no - no - no - no

Our pick 5 became pick 6 due to draft re-ordering (academy etc) Parish was always going with Essendons first pick (4 became 5) and Francis was the pick that we gave them - pick 6 (after adjustments for inflation - or whatever)

Essendon Pick 4 --> Pick 5 --> Darcy Parish
St Kilda Pick 5 --> Pick 6 --> Aaron Francis
:lol: Isn't that exactly what I've just explained?
Last edited by degruch on Mon 09 Oct 2017 2:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Any way you add it up, it's hilarious. One can only hope he stuffs this year's trades up as badly. I know Schadenfreude is not a healthy thing to indulge in, but in this case, a little of what's bad for you is actually good.
There's a hell of a lot of Schadenfreude to go under the bridge still.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
degruch wrote:
They did...Francis was #6. However, our #5 became #6 because of a change in the draft order...can't remember why.
No - no - no - no - no

Our pick 5 became pick 6 due to draft re-ordering (academy etc) Parish was always going with Essendons first pick (4 became 5) and Francis was the pick that we gave them - pick 6 (after adjustments for inflation - or whatever)

It’s your first two words that don’t match the rest of what you wrote.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
degruch
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
degruch wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
degruch wrote:
No - no - no - no - no

It’s your first two words that don’t match the rest of what you wrote.
Ah, got it. In the spirit of the trade period, I'd much rather move up a thread and trade 'our', than offload 'they did', as they've brought some real X factor to the conversation.

ace
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Lets hope we keep these bad trades coming
We could offer them Paddy for picks 11 and 28 (soon to be 29)

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
beebarry
Club Player

Am I missing something ?

Essendon drafted Parish with out Pick 5 .....a definite winner there .....they drafted Francis at 6.

So Parish and Bird for Gresham and Carlisle ....we are still ahead on that one at the moment but not by as much as it would have been with Francis ....Parish will be a gun ....

beebarry
Club Player

Am I missing something ?

Essendon drafted Parish with out Pick 5 .....a definite winner there .....they drafted Francis at 6.

So Parish and Bird for Gresham and Carlisle ....we are still ahead on that one at the moment but not by as much as it would have been with Francis ....Parish will be a gun ....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

beebarry wrote:Am I missing something ?

Yes, you are missing something.
The pick we gave Essendon for Carlisle was originally #5 but it moved to #6 because of what transpired during picks 1-3.
Essendon already had pick #4 which became pick #5 - this they used on Parish.
Our pick (traded for Carlisle) became pick #6 (straight after the Parish pick) and was used on Francis.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

I still rank the Carlisle trade as the best we've done in my memory. Carlisle and Gresham for pick 5 and what effectively became pick 29, which the dopers spent on Morgan, who looks like being delisted after just two years. Poor lad has chronic hamstring problems and hasn't been able to play. We are that far in front in that deal, they will never catch up.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
lewdogs
Club Player

Y'know what, on top of the Francis debacle, have to say I don't really rate Parish that highly either. Kicks the ball like Clint Jones; horrible action.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Not sure we should be throwing stones. As far as I'm concerned, Lovett for 16 and getting sfa for Ball are both right up there.

Drake Huggins wrote:I still rank the Carlisle trade as the best we've done in my memory. Carlisle and Gresham for pick 5 and what effectively became pick 29, which the dopers spent on Morgan, who looks like being delisted after just two years. Poor lad has chronic hamstring problems and hasn't been able to play. We are that far in front in that deal, they will never catch up.
+1
It's not just the trade itself, it's also the fact that we desperately needed a big strong talented key defender, and Jake has ticked the boxes there.
Having lost him for 12 months really hurt, but we couldn't predict that.
Some might suggest the gap year gave him time to physically n spiritually freshen up,
so it might be a blessing in disguise.

The only sour point is revealing how hot we were for Jakey,
and just like a house auction, we drove the price up.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Craig Bird has been delisted. I wont know what this means until I hear from David King.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:Not sure we should be throwing stones. As far as I'm concerned, Lovett for 16 and getting sfa for Ball are both right up there.
Normally I would agree, but Bomber fans took every opportunity to throw of stones.

Pick 16 for Lovett - yes, we're still the big losers on that one and it will always be arguably the worse trade in the history of the trade period. But what did the Dons spend pick 16 on? Williams from the Hawks, so they were hardly laughing all the way to the bank on that one. My Bomber mates are always very quick to change the topic when that gets mentioned.

They also dug the boot in after the WADA ban. "Thanks heaps for pick 5" and "how much are you paying Carlisle for not playing this year?", etc. Now they tell me how much they miss him.

The Bombers are standing in a glass house also. That being said, they're still ahead of us in being a "destination" club and make us look like rookies during the most recent trade period.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
kalsaint
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:But I thought the Saints were terrible at recruitment, trading and drafting? :)
:twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

8856brother wrote:Not sure we should be throwing stones. As far as I'm concerned, Lovett for 16 and getting sfa for Ball are both right up there.
Yes. we have had our real bad ones. A really old trrible one was Billy Barret for Ian Stewart. Barret lasted a week, Stewart a Brownlow later.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Typical victim mentality.

Who cares what's happened in the past.

When you get a chance to stick the boot in, you stick the boot in.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

How much of Ball for SFA has influence the next St Kilda bloke requesting a trade... there's been none and if they do the clubs know they will have to pay up.

What Lyon lost in pick 30 for Ball he gained 100 times over getting pick 2 for Lachie Weller!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

How much of Ball for SFA has influence the next St Kilda bloke requesting a trade... there's been none and if they do the clubs know they will have to pay up.

What Lyon lost in pick 30 for Ball he gained 100 times over getting pick 2 for Lachie Weller!
You do realise the comedy festival is over, Ross?
How is us gifting Collingwood a premiership compensated for by Freo receiving overs for Weller 7 years later?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

You do realise the comedy festival is over, Ross?
How is us gifting Collingwood a premiership compensated for by Freo receiving overs for Weller 7 years later?

Incredible. The major reason we were reluctant to trade for 30 was that it WAS gifting a top 4 competitor... they actually did everything to avoid this and it was a massive result that Ball lasted until then.

The fact that your point contradicts your entire arguement yet you still write it is outrageous. Give me something better to work with :lol: