Saints best and worst trades

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints best and worst trades

From the hun.

ST KILDA
Best: 2007

This one is easy. The Saints figured they were entering the flag window — which proved a pretty accurate assessment — and gave up three draft picks to secure four players: little-known Swans Adam Schneider and Sean Dempster plus Cats Steven King and Charlie Gardiner (who both arrived for pick 90).

Worst: 2012

Giving Essendon pick 16 for Andrew Lovett in 2009 will go down as one of the biggest trade bloopers ever but for a body of work 2012 has it covered, despite the inspired pick-up of delisted Docker Dylan Roberton. The Saints lost Brendon Goddard to Essendon and Jamie Cripps to the Eagles, picked up Trent Dennis-Lane (10 games) from Sydney and swapped a bunch of draft picks that effectively landed ruckman Tom Hickey and mature-age Western Australian forward Tom Lee for pick 12. He played 17 matches before being delisted while Hickey is now a back-up for Billy Longer. The moves were designed to kickstart a rebuild but may have delayed it a year

And you can lay the blame at the foot of that pelican fwit for that mess.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints best and worst trades

What, no Michael Frost trade? We've got some howlers, it must have taken forever to pair down that list.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Ian Stewart for Billy Barrott has got to be up there.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:Ian Stewart for Billy Barrott has got to be up there.
I would say so.

Also Russell Greene for two no hopers in King and Scott.

And really we got SFA for Plugger,

Darth Vader
Club Player

saynta wrote:
I would say so.

Also Russell Greene for two no hopers in King and Scott.

And really we got SFA for Plugger,
You’re bringing back some bad memories. On the other hand, Barry Hall for the pick that got us Dal worked out okay.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Cazaly to South Melbourne. We got donuts for that.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:Cazaly to South Melbourne. We got donuts for that.
Old timers will remember how the forum went into meltdown that day.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Tony Delaney, Glenn Nugent, Michael Frost. :D

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Harding, Russo and Handley for pick one in 1988. At least Hawthorn only took Alex McDonald at one. Russo and HAndley were soon gone and Harding's last game for us was the 1991 elimination final, where he played on Billy Brainless, who tore us a new one, kicking 8. Pipped in a year we were a real chance. Thanks for coming, Paul. Took off the next year and played in a flag for West Coke. How many of our blokes have played in premierships at other clubs. The list must be endless. Worth its own thread.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:Harding, Russo and Handley for pick one in 1988. At least Hawthorn only took Alex McDonald at one. Russo and HAndley were soon gone and Harding's last game for us was the 1991 elimination final, where he played on Billy Brainless, who tore us a new one, kicking 8. Pipped in a year we were a real chance. Thanks for coming, Paul. Took off the next year and played in a flag for West Coke. How many of our blokes have played in premierships at other clubs. The list must be endless. Worth its own thread.
However, in respect to that trade Harding was better for us than McDonald was for Hawthorn.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
cowboy18 wrote:Cazaly to South Melbourne. We got donuts for that.
Old timers will remember how the forum went into meltdown that day.
:D :)

Wombat15
Club Player

Trading pick 6 for Barry Brooks

Trading pick 17 for Fergus Watts

We’ve had some shockers

older saint
SS Life Member

Carlisle is looking pretty good at the moment , along with last years trade with Hawthorn.

one point
Club Player

older saint wrote:Carlisle is looking pretty good at the moment , along with last years trade with Hawthorn.
We will get an idea of how good last year's trade with Hawthorn is by the end of this year's trade period. Hope you're right about it.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:Harding, Russo and Handley for pick one in 1988. At least Hawthorn only took Alex McDonald at one. Russo and HAndley were soon gone and Harding's last game for us was the 1991 elimination final, where he played on Billy Brainless, who tore us a new one, kicking 8. Pipped in a year we were a real chance. Thanks for coming, Paul. Took off the next year and played in a flag for West Coke. How many of our blokes have played in premierships at other clubs. The list must be endless. Worth its own thread.
However, in respect to that trade Harding was better for us than McDonald was for Hawthorn.
Fair enough, SCS. Line ball though. Neither were that great. Harding did play some good footy, but pissed off before we got any great value from him. Did a Shanahan / Jarman that fateful day against Brainless at Waverley. Could've easily won it that year if we'd got past Geelong.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote: Did a Shanahan / Jarman that fateful day against Brainless at Waverley. Could've easily won it that year if we'd got past Geelong.
Did a Shanahan / Jarman. Surely you jest? What did Shanahan do wrong? The only person who stuffed up that day was Stan Alves, by not moving Jamie!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote: Did a Shanahan / Jarman that fateful day against Brainless at Waverley. Could've easily won it that year if we'd got past Geelong.
Did a Shanahan / Jarman. Surely you jest? What did Shanahan do wrong? The only person who stuffed up that day was Stan Alves, by not moving Jamie!
Spot on, Neil! Shaggs had a great season and was a dour defender for the five or so years down back for us. He wasn't the match for Jarman on the day and Stan just sat on his hands about it. Apparently the likes of Yabby Jeans were so incensed he wanted to get into the coaches box and demand Stan make a move.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Spot on, Neil! Shaggs had a great season and was a dour defender for the five or so years down back for us. He wasn't the match for Jarman on the day and Stan just sat on his hands about it. Apparently the likes of Yabby Jeans were so incensed he wanted to get into the coaches box and demand Stan make a move.
I was told that Jeansey was sending Alves written messages.

Shanahan was poor but our problem started further up the ground which Stan did not have a plan to counteract.

We were undermanned but he coached very poorly that day.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Fuc&en hell!! It was Shanahan's fault...It was the coaches fault...give me a break

You blokes love to hang sh1t on someone and just put it down to bad coaching or 1 player costing us. Really? Is it that simple or are you just looking for a scapegoat? There were a lot of things that went wrong in the weeks leading up to the grannie and on the night before the game, that I reckon had the biggest impact

Have a look at a coach like Hardwick. 2 years ago he was making mistakes and Richmond were being laughed at with the way they exited consecutive elimination finals in 14/15. I think recent footy history ( if you go back to 2006 with Bomber Thompson at Geelong or how about the constant bickering between Clarko and Kennett pre 2008) has taught us that the only way you achieve success is through a united board and stability at the top and ensuring the players - or presidents...khhhhm Butters...aren't the ones running footy clubs

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Take a chill pill.

Ok Stan coached well that day and if our board members and everyone else who worked at the club were touchy feely with each other we'd have a flag, possibly 4.

Is that better?

:roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Shanahan should have knocked that halfwit out. Cowboy would have. Both harding and Shanahan left the club after playing below par in a final and good riddance to both of them. Ditto Guerra.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
I believe Shanahan played on Jarman while he kicked 5 second-half goals and tore the game away from us. What Jamie did wrong was giving Jarman way too much latitude and he seemed to be wandering around in a daze. I doubt we had anyone else who could've stopped him. Shanahan, up to that point, was our best stopper by far. A disappointing end for someone who was a very good player for us. If only the cowboy was playing that day. As the great man said in the team meeting before the '71 GF when they discussed Peter Hudson. Yabb had conceded 6 to Hudson and felt we could win if we limited him to that many. Then the voice came from the back of the room, "You can't kick goals when you're unconscious." Remember, Hudson kicked three early before Bob Murray had to go off with a knee injury. Now I'm not advocating violence, well I am actually. Why someone didn't run through Jarman, or tried to rough him up a little, has always staggered me. They had no hesitation in trying to break Banger's ribs that day. If Vidovic had played that day, I doubt Jarman would have made it to the last quarter.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Take a chill pill.

Ok Stan coached well that day and if our board members and everyone else who worked at the club were touchy feely with each other we'd have a flag, possibly 4.

Is that better?

:roll:
He got them there and he was probably going to do it again if we didn't sack him...remind again who we replaced him with? Oh yeah that's right...Watson

Point is that our history around that time with the sacking of Ken Sheldon ( who I also thought was improving and growing as a coach) was one of instability. Both Ken and Stan were getting us deep into finals.

On the other hand...not saying we should hang on to Richo for the sake of consistency if he can't create opportunities in September to give us a chance

kalsaint
Club Player

Yep

All time worst by some margin.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
I believe Shanahan played on Jarman while he kicked 5 second-half goals and tore the game away from us. What Jamie did wrong was giving Jarman way too much latitude and he seemed to be wandering around in a daze. I doubt we had anyone else who could've stopped him. Shanahan, up to that point, was our best stopper by far. A disappointing end for someone who was a very good player for us. If only the cowboy was playing that day. As the great man said in the team meeting before the '71 GF when they discussed Peter Hudson. Yabb had conceded 6 to Hudson and felt we could win if we limited him to that many. Then the voice came from the back of the room, "You can't kick goals when you're unconscious." Remember, Hudson kicked three early before Bob Murray had to go off with a knee injury. Now I'm not advocating violence, well I am actually. Why someone didn't run through Jarman, or tried to rough him up a little, has always staggered me. They had no hesitation in trying to break Banger's ribs that day. If Vidovic had played that day, I doubt Jarman would have made it to the last quarter.
Missing Everitt and Perovic cost us badly in that second half losing clearances to D Jarman who wasn't even with Shanahan and therefore able to follow the ball relatively unimpeded and kick those goals.
Yes this was a coaching issue. Loewe only tall at centre contests. Shanahan roaming the backline with no one on him but watching the ball pass him overhead from his supposed direct opponent. :evil: :?

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency