Mullet, Talia or Keefe

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Mullet, Talia or Keefe

Not sure how the delisted FA thing totally works but I'm pretty sure we could pick up one of these delisted backs for virtually nothing.

Might be worth a crack as atm we only have Brown and Carlisle down back. If both of them go down we're screwed. We need cover and probably need to add 2 key defenders imo. Hopefully Haynes from GWS is one of them.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mullet, Talia or Keefe

I reckon had we lost Carlise for a long period this season, we would have been totally and utterly stuffed. We really need another strong bodied class backman down there.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If the Saints do not gain a tall/tallish back in trade week then IMO Talia or similar would be picked as up a DFA or a rookie.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Not sure how the delisted FA thing totally works but I'm pretty sure we could pick up one of these delisted backs for virtually nothing.
Exactly. It's probably the best value mechanism for improving the value of a list.

We've secured Tim Membrey, Dylan Roberton, Nathan Brown and Maverick Weller and through this mechanism. It has been extraordinarily beneficial for us - that's four best-22 players for nothing.

The final two might not be in the team much longer but they've added depth, competition for places and a really good level of professionalism.
Might be worth a crack as atm we only have Brown and Carlisle down back. If both of them go down we're screwed. We need cover and probably need to add 2 key defenders imo. Hopefully Haynes from GWS is one of them.
Absolutely. We need some insurance and the way the AFL churns and burns through young men - many of who are late developers or fall out of favour - is extraordinary.

Talia is my choice. I watched him a lot at the Dogs and he was on a really big upswing there before things went awry.

Nobody condones what he did, but hell, Carlisle did was way worse (a video!) in terms of stupidity. And I reckon Jake is probably the best player on our entire list.

Brown won't last forever - I reckon he's got another full year, maybe two - but he's been a terrific option as a stop-gap. A genuine upgrade on Luke Delaney. Hopefully Hugh Goddard morphs into an elite defender, but we can't be sure of that, either.

I reckon we need to find another elite defender (Haynes) who we can trade aggressively for as well as looking for a bargain.

I'm going to throw Kristian Jasksch into the Delisted FA mix as well. You need to have a really good look at these guys. Perhaps they won't fit, but given they cost NOTHING, risk-reward scenario is skewed heavily in our favour. And I think our days of chasing Ross Lyon's beloved delisted list-cloggers are a long time gone (Clarke, Pattinson, Polo, Gardiner, etc).

When I look at some of the players on our list who clearly won't make it - there's clearly a few there - I think we have room for a Delisted FA punt or two.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Agreed with all.

You can grab a couple of gems with delisted FA's. Roberton and Membrey showcase that.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I thought Mullet was a good player. The other 2 no.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Drake Huggins
Club Player

No, no and no. Logan Austin from the Port Sewer might be a chance. A lot like Goddard in size and style, moves a little quicker.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We will take Talia!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Agreed with all.

You can grab a couple of gems with delisted FA's. Roberton and Membrey showcase that.
But if they are free then won't the clubs before us just take them?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:

You take them before the draft mate.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Pretty sure you can nab a delisted FA for nothing at conclusion of trade period.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Pretty sure you can nab a delisted FA for nothing at conclusion of trade period.
You have to nab them in one of DFA Trading Periods or they can nominate for the Pre-Season Draft.

Delisted players become free agents and can join new clubs during any of the three NAB AFL delisted player free agency windows.

Once clubs have delisted a player, they will receive no compensation should that player be signed by a new club.

The key dates for delisted free agents are as follows:

Wednesday November 1 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins

Wednesday November 8 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes

Friday November 10 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins

Friday November 17, 5pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Saturday November 25 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins

Sunday November 26, 2pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes

Wednesday November 29, 2pm - Final AFL club list lodgement

Delisted players can also nominate for the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:

The basis of being a Free Agent is that the player chooses the club he wants to join, rather than Clubs choosing players .

ie the player is free to choose.

The exceptions to this is a DFA can nominate for the PSD, but in practice they would use one of the DFA Periods, and that with Restricted Free Agents that their existing club can keep the player if they match the offer from the other club.

avid
Club Player

Talia might be good, as a cheapie starting again.
I'm hoping we're working away on Logan Austin behind the scenes.
I'm hoping we might still pull off a clever trade for Haynes or Tomlinson.
Any two of these would give our back half the genuine depth (in the talls) it clearly needs.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Mullet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In red white and black from 73
Drake Huggins
Club Player

DFA's are the rescue animals of the AFL. We've jagged some absolute bargains. Best dog I ever owned was a rescued Jack Russell.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
beebarry
Club Player

Take Talia and Sam Collins - gives us 2 193cm backs who will work their asses off for the second chance, just like Robbo, Members, Brown and Weller have done.

Get them in there with Carlisle and Brown ASAP and learn the systems. One to cover Gillbo when he goes and one for Brown who perhaps only has a year o go. Then if H Goddard comes good it’s a bonus rather than something we are relying on.

. It’s the one area of drafting/trading that we are actually really good at ....

Freebies on one year contracts with extension clauses if they get 12 games or more .......

Do it Sainters !

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Get Logan Austin from Port for the same reasons as beebarry pointed out. Better than Talia and Collins, IMHO, and would be terrific backup. 196 cm tall, 92 kg. AFL ready body with 13 games and several preseasons under his belt. Similar to Hugh, but has less of a turning circle. If not him, Collins. We can always put them on as rookies. Cost us nothing more than a can of coke and a Mars bar.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

beebarry wrote:Take Talia and Sam Collins - gives us 2 193cm backs who will work their asses off for the second chance, just like Robbo, Members, Brown and Weller have done.

Get them in there with Carlisle and Brown ASAP and learn the systems. One to cover Gillbo when he goes and one for Brown who perhaps only has a year o go. Then if H Goddard comes good it’s a bonus rather than something we are relying on.

. It’s the one area of drafting/trading that we are actually really good at ....

Freebies on one year contracts with extension clauses if they get 12 games or more .......

Do it Sainters !
Which two players do you want to delist so that we can take Talia and Collins?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Get Logan Austin from Port for the same reasons as beebarry pointed out. Better than Talia and Collins, IMHO, and would be terrific backup. 196 cm tall, 92 kg. AFL ready body with 13 games and several preseasons under his belt. Similar to Hugh, but has less of a turning circle. If not him, Collins. We can always put them on as rookies. Cost us nothing more than a can of coke and a Mars bar.
Would cost us an existing listed player though.

One player that is getable imho, is Ian Cooper's grandson. Delist Holmes.

beebarry
Club Player

Well we have lost Roo, Joey and Shinner since the start of the year - thats 3 gone - Holmes should be delisted - thats 4 ......couple of rookies gone ....

Rookie one and senior list the other ...

Drake Huggins
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:Get Logan Austin from Port for the same reasons as beebarry pointed out. Better than Talia and Collins, IMHO, and would be terrific backup. 196 cm tall, 92 kg. AFL ready body with 13 games and several preseasons under his belt. Similar to Hugh, but has less of a turning circle. If not him, Collins. We can always put them on as rookies. Cost us nothing more than a can of coke and a Mars bar.

I think Holmes and Wright are as good as gone, Saynta. With three retirements that gives us room for five. Three compulsory picks, a rookie upgrade, and one sneaky pickup.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

All players mentioned so far could turn out ok.....

Of the delisted players, for a tall KP back, I would prefer Henry Schade

Then Keefe

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
saynta wrote:

I think Holmes and Wright are as good as gone, Saynta. With three retirements that gives us room for five. Three compulsory picks, a rookie upgrade, and one sneaky pickup.
You are probably right.

Good to see someone who has an actual brain posting here. :wink:

Stian
Club Player

I thought that the club had an "understanding" with Talia that they would pick him up as a DFA.

Will that happen now that Austin has arrived as a tall backman???

i.e. does anybody know how committed we were with Talia? and is there a need to have both Talia and Austin on the list? (Maybe Talia as a rookie??)

My brain hurts.