Saints Playing Their Cards Right in Trade Period

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Saints Playing Their Cards Right in Trade Period

People need to understand the "being aggressive" in the trade period Richo spoke of was in reference to going after Kelly and Martin. Of course, both ended up being out of reach. There's no one left worth aggressively pursuing through the bartering system now. Melbourne were aggressive and got absolutely fleeced by the Crows for a defender they probably didn't need all that badly. Let the likes of Essendon grab an overpaid bum like Stringer and pay through the nose for a player like Devon Smith. They can afford to stuff up and get away with it.

Seriously, I'm more than happy for us to bide our time and take our 7 & 8 picks to the draft and keep on building for the future. At this rate, we'll be loaded in four or five years. Oh and we have that war-chest waiting for a rainy day.

BELIEVE OR BUM! :D

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ss1986
Club Player

Re: Saints Playing Their Cards Right in Trade Period

Sainternist wrote:People need to understand the "being aggressive" in the trade period Richo spoke of was in reference to going after Kelly and Martin. Of course, both ended up being out of reach. There's no one left worth aggressively pursuing through the bartering system now. Melbourne were aggressive and got absolutely fleeced by the Crows for a defender they probably didn't need all that badly. Let the likes of Essendon grab an overpaid bum like Stringer and pay through the nose for a player like Devon Smith. They can afford to stuff up and get away with it.

Seriously, I'm more than happy for us to bide our time and take our 7 & 8 picks to the draft and keep on building for the future. At this rate, we'll be loaded in four or five years. Oh and we have that war-chest waiting for a rainy day.

So this rebuild will have genuinely taken the best part of a decade...... I'm so sick of waiting. :(

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Duplicate post. :)

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
The_President
Club Player

People that say we don't have any gamebreakers clearly haven't watched Gresham or Billings closely.

We COULD go out and pay someone like Devon Smith too much money. Or we could keep building from within, go to the draft, get two good mids.

Build a culture around staying with the club, rewarding those who bleed for the club.

Everyone takes paycuts to stay together, so they can win together.

On the right track IMO

David-Lee
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:People need to understand the "being aggressive" in the trade period Richo spoke of was in reference to going after Kelly and Martin. Of course, both ended up being out of reach. There's no one left worth aggressively pursuing through the bartering system now. Melbourne were aggressive and got absolutely fleeced by the Crows for a defender they probably didn't need all that badly. Let the likes of Essendon grab an overpaid bum like Stringer and pay through the nose for a player like Devon Smith. They can afford to stuff up and get away with it.

Sorry mate. Richo was full of bs. We DID NOT go hard or aggresively for either Kelly or Martin. Neither player nominated us as the club of choice neither had any serious talks with our staff ( according to the players and or their manager). The talk of Kelly joining was rubbish.
Yet we were hard at it?

I too don't want a trade I want to go to the draft. Honestly I didn't see a single A grade player interested in joining our club at present. Maybe if we can win consistently for a decade but even then maybe not. We have never had a strong lure for top players. We have gotten a few but they seem more inclined to Carlton, Essendon, Hawks not sure why? Hawks I get it. Amazing coach....great legacy...ability to lose the lot and rebuild quickly.

We are the opposite. We've been rebuilding since 2011.
" 2018...Year 7 of our ground breaking rebuild". We keep shifting the goal posts and rewarding coaches and players who fail.

I have no faith in our team coaching, management or recruiting. Just look at our player development. Peta and Co. have turned potential stars onto 5-7 year projects...we are the one of a select group of clubs that needs 5-7 years to get every young player elite.

Our forward coach was sooooo amazing he is promoted to coach all our young and developing players at VFL level.

I don't think the op is serious....its a joke right? We played our cards right? We didnt need a A class yoing defender like Lever we have Brown ( 1 yr left) and Goddard ( zero proof he will ever be anything) and Carlisle ( player on the out from Essendon becaise of behaviour but who is very good with us)...Small defenders galore but not Lever quality...DID NOT NEED HIM.

I'm resigned that whoever we draft in 2018 will be a star by 2024 and we will definitely make the 8....by 2024 or 2025.

I'll still by a membership and suffer.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

f*** everybody knows so much on this site. It's staggering!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:f*** everybody knows so much on this site. It's staggering!

Staggering isn't the word I would have used. :wink:

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

ss1986 wrote:

So this rebuild will have genuinely taken the best part of a decade...... I'm so sick of waiting. :(
As I recall we competed in a grand final only 7 years ago and did not start properly rebuilding until about 5 years ago. Given the state of our list 6 years ago I think it is nigh on a miracle to be where we are presently. How long a rebuild takes will be determined by your starting point, and there were none lower than ours. Our list was a mess and we had nothing, bar a few aging guns......

Keep in mind our list profile only 5 or 6 seasons ago and our progress takes on a totally different perspective......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
felix
Club Player

David-Lee wrote:

Sorry mate. Richo was full of bs. We DID NOT go hard or aggresively for either Kelly or Martin. Neither player nominated us as the club of choice neither had any serious talks with our staff ( according to the players and or their manager). The talk of Kelly joining was rubbish.
Yet we were hard at it?

I too don't want a trade I want to go to the draft. Honestly I didn't see a single A grade player interested in joining our club at present. Maybe if we can win consistently for a decade but even then maybe not. We have never had a strong lure for top players. We have gotten a few but they seem more inclined to Carlton, Essendon, Hawks not sure why? Hawks I get it. Amazing coach....great legacy...ability to lose the lot and rebuild quickly.

We are the opposite. We've been rebuilding since 2011.
" 2018...Year 7 of our ground breaking rebuild". We keep shifting the goal posts and rewarding coaches and players who fail.

I have no faith in our team coaching, management or recruiting. Just look at our player development. Peta and Co. have turned potential stars onto 5-7 year projects...we are the one of a select group of clubs that needs 5-7 years to get every young player elite.

Our forward coach was sooooo amazing he is promoted to coach all our young and developing players at VFL level.

I don't think the op is serious....its a joke right? We played our cards right? We didnt need a A class yoing defender like Lever we have Brown ( 1 yr left) and Goddard ( zero proof he will ever be anything) and Carlisle ( player on the out from Essendon becaise of behaviour but who is very good with us)...Small defenders galore but not Lever quality...DID NOT NEED HIM.

I'm resigned that whoever we draft in 2018 will be a star by 2024 and we will definitely make the 8....by 2024 or 2025.

I'll still by a membership and suffer.
Yep. Hang in there ..that's what we do.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:People that say we don't have any gamebreakers clearly haven't watched Gresham or Billings closely.

We COULD go out and pay someone like Devon Smith too much money. Or we could keep building from within, go to the draft, get two good mids.

Build a culture around staying with the club, rewarding those who bleed for the club.

Everyone takes paycuts to stay together, so they can win together.

On the right track IMO

Correct

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:f*** everybody knows so much on this site. It's staggering!
Mostly it's fiction or friction, not much else.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Negativity is one thing, but gee whiz, if Ameet Bains recruited a three-legged dog
there are people on here who'd been lauding his genius and saying the dog will be
better in time than Josh Kelly.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
As I recall we competed in a grand final only 7 years ago and did not start properly rebuilding until about 5 years ago. Given the state of our list 6 years ago I think it is nigh on a miracle to be where we are presently. How long a rebuild takes will be determined by your starting point, and there were none lower than ours. Our list was a mess and we had nothing, bar a few aging guns......

Keep in mind our list profile only 5 or 6 seasons ago and our progress takes on a totally different perspective......
+1

You are absolutely spot on, TB!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Negativity is one thing, but gee whiz, if Ameet Bains recruited a three-legged dog
there are people on here who'd been lauding his genius and saying the dog will be
better in time than Josh Kelly.
The dog would have a head start. It has an extra leg. Aren't we always keen on players who can "grow an extra leg?" Unfortunately, Rolf Harris is unavailable, too old and would fail the character test. Imagine the confusion in the opposition if "Jake the Peg" played for us. Players constantly arguing over which leg was the fake one.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."