What am I missing?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ss1986
Club Player

What am I missing?

Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing....

We are keeping Picks 7 & 8.

Essendon give up Pick 11 for Devon Smith. They get a pick the other way that will likely facilitate trades for Saad and Stringer.

So in essence, on balance, they'll give up Pick 11 this year for Devon Smith, Saad and Stringer after all the cards drop. Maybe a future first rounder.... but to me, that's by-the-by given they'll go well in 2018.

Why couldn't we do the same with Pick 8? Trade out lesser players such as Lonie for the sake of the cap, and add 3 high quality footballers that would make us a pretty scary prospect, even if we had to butcher the footy into the forward line.

AND we would keep Pick 7 to try and find that classy midfielder.

I'm clearly missing something here.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: What am I missing?

Devon Smith wanted a club with an effective rehabilitation program and facilities.
Thymosin Beta 4 is very effective in rehabilitation and Essendon still have a large secret stash.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I think what you're missing is that trading next year's first round pick is a big deal.
Dev Smith would have been a good addition to our list, but not at the expense of pick 8.
We have a whole raft of Dev Smith level players...B+ types.
There is no need for more of them.
We need some elite talent.
I am more inclined to trade up in the draft for a top 3 pick and add a 10 year gun to the list, and get a F/A next year for the 2019-2021 window.

So we will see good B graders swap clubs and feel a few pangs that we missed out....but we need to be patient and draft/ trade for elite talent.

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:I think what you're missing is that trading next year's first round pick is a big deal.
Dev Smith would have been a good addition to our list, but not at the expense of pick 8.
I am more inclined to trade up in the draft for a top 3 pick and add a 10 year gun to the list, and get a F/A next year for the 2019-2021 window.

So we will see good B graders swap clubs and feel a few pangs that we missed out....but we need to be patient and draft/ trade for elite talent.

Exactly. 8-)

ss1986
Club Player

fugazi wrote:I think what you're missing is that trading next year's first round pick is a big deal.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, viewing Pick 8 in isolation for Smith as overs. But look at the totality of the deal.

And if we have another year of middling mediocrity, the Sloanes of the world aren't going to want to come to us anyway.

There's absolutely no guarantee that top 10 picks in the draft result in anything great. I'd rather see us hedge our bets a bit whilst we can. History tells us 2 guns in the one draft at Picks 7 and 8 don't exist. One is generally a bust.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

What the saints don't need or want are overpriced malcontents , sooky cry babies who want to come home to mummy or players their clubs don't want or need because they simply arent good enough.

And that's really only what is on offer as far as I can see.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

saynta wrote:What the saints don't need or want are overpriced malcontents , sooky cry babies who want to come home to mummy or players their clubs don't want or need because they simply arent good enough.

And that's really only what is on offer as far as I can see.
Exactly, my dear saynta. Couldn't have said it better myself. The dopers are welcome to Smith, Stringer and Saad. We have at least the equivalent of all three. Gresham, Acres and White, ring a bell. We need some elite cherries to top the cake, not more sponge to add to the sies.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
OldGeorgeYoung
Club Player

This is a question seeking opinion rather than a statement.

Given that their is ultimately some degree of luck (as well as skill) in selected an A grader in the first round.

Is there a significantly higher chance of picking at least one really good player if we use both 7 & 8 in the draft?

If we don't have hope. All is lost.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

OldGeorgeYoung wrote:This is a question seeking opinion rather than a statement.

Given that their is ultimately some degree of luck (as well as skill) in selected an A grader in the first round.

Is there a significantly higher chance of picking at least one really good player if we use both 7 & 8 in the draft?

Two chances are always better than just the single chance. IMHO.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: I don't disagree with what you are saying, viewing Pick 8 in isolation for Smith as overs. But look at the totality of the deal.
The only deal I see is pick 11 for Devon Smith, a player with a lot of injury problems. I see the media reporting that the Bombers will now use second round picks to trade for Stringer and Saad. Let's see if that happens: methinks there are a lot of clubs with better second round picks they'd be happy to trade for these guys, no matter what Stringer is supposed to have to done.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Using our pick 8 on Smith, regardless of what we got back in second rounders would have been a dumb thing to do.

Smith is above average at best.

Some people have rocks in their head.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ss1986
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Using our pick 8 on Smith, regardless of what we got back in second rounders would have been a dumb thing to do.

Smith is above average at best.

Some people have rocks in their head.
Really it's pick 8 for Smith, and a pick that is the key to unlocking 2 more trades..... but anyway.

supersaints
Club Player

Heard Smith on trade radio .... wasn't a good interview basically sooking he didn't play in the final... claimed he should have because he is a 100 game player and a foundation player .... instead he should look at his own stats on the last few games he played , very very average... In fact his whole year was not what you would call stellar
In reality didn't deserve a game

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
OldGeorgeYoung wrote:This is a question seeking opinion rather than a statement.

Two chances are always better than just the single chance. IMHO.
Two consecutive picks increase the chances dramatically; if two 'like type' players are chosen. Wil both be mids?