J Stephenson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: J Stephenson

CQ SAINT wrote:
MickThomas wrote:I have little confidence in Paddy McC being a regular senior player,
with his diabetes and that other issue...
He may play 16 games in a row, in an ideal world,
but I don't think he can play 3 in a row comfortably.

Therefore I would love the club to grab the best forward prospect, to add to our other young forwards- who had a taste last year.
We don't know if they can be regular seniors, so another forward would be fantastic.
Paddy, as a professional athlete aided by professional dieticians and nutritionists, has a very good chance of evening out, if not improving his chances of performing at an a elite level without the increased risks of concussion.

His diet is key. As a diabetic, it is probable that he has a higher risk of concussion from head traùma because diabetics have decreased function in drawing energy from glucose to the brain cells and this would impair his neurological ability to recover from impact trauma. We have seen this already.

Im hoping recent reports that he has become very lean means he has controlled his metabolism and natural insulin production and is burning fat stores through a ketogenic diet utilising ketones instead of glucose to produce energy, decreasing glycation oxidation in his arteries and allowing more fatty acids and ATPs to deliver energy to his brain cells. Intake of high levels of magnesium will also help him improve his brain cell function and increase his brains resistance to trauma.

Clean eating and high intake of antioxidants and fatty acids and avoiding all chemicals and food additives and insulin spiking carbs will make a huge difference to his brain function and help overcome the the debilitating effects diabetes can have on his neuropathy.

Hope this clears things up.
Makes sense.

You do make it sound like we took a big risk using pick 1 on someone with type 1 diabetes.

Is that your take on it?

Sounds like his body needed to naturally mature to help stabilise his condition.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Junior
Club Player

Both Jamie Cripps and Dale Weightman have managed to play game after game year after year but some reckon Paddy won't be able to due his diabetes.

What a load of rubbish, I would be mor concerned about other injuries with him than his diabetes.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
MickThomas wrote:I have little confidence in Paddy McC being a regular senior player,

Therefore I would love the club to grab the best forward prospect, to add to our other young forwards- who had a taste last year.
We don't know if they can be regular seniors, so another forward would be fantastic.
Paddy, as a professional athlete aided by professional dieticians and nutritionists, has a very good chance of evening out, if not improving his chances of performing at an a elite level without the increased risks of concussion.

His diet is key. As a diabetic, it is probable that he has a higher risk of concussion from head traùma because diabetics have decreased function in drawing energy from glucose to the brain cells and this would impair his neurological ability to recover from impact trauma. We have seen this already.

Im hoping recent reports that he has become very lean means he has controlled his metabolism and natural insulin production and is burning fat stores through a ketogenic diet utilising ketones instead of glucose to produce energy, decreasing glycation oxidation in his arteries and allowing more fatty acids and ATPs to deliver energy to his brain cells. Intake of high levels of magnesium will also help him improve his brain cell function and increase his brains resistance to trauma.

Clean eating and high intake of antioxidants and fatty acids and avoiding all chemicals and food additives and insulin spiking carbs will make a huge difference to his brain function and help overcome the the debilitating effects diabetes can have on his neuropathy.

Great post CQS. Fingers crossed there are no more serious head knocks. It's not the condition that has ever worried me about Paddy, it's been the effect the condition has on his recovery from knocks that has been the concern. I hope your post puts to rest fears that his diabetes prevents him from getting to an elite standard of fitness. Now, if we could just swathe his head in metres of bubble wrap.......

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

How can anyone possible want to draft a forward when our problems are in the midfield and the game is so midfield driven...

Riewoldt retired in part to provide opportunities to the forwards we have drafted - but you want to spend our top picks on drafting another?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Makes sense.

You do make it sound like we took a big risk using pick 1 on someone with type 1 diabetes.

Is that your take on it?

Sounds like his body needed to naturally mature to help stabilise his condition.
All things considered, I think Paddy was always going to be a long term project. Not just because of his diabetes but more because he always needed to change from an anaerobic beast to a lean aerobic machine to make it long term in this game.

Personally, I believe it was thought his ability/skill was going to make that process quicker because when he arrived he appeared naturally AFL ready. His natural style and size made him appear that way. Clunking pack marks
and charging leads. No one would have anticipated what has happened unless there was precedence from his junior days.

He can come back stronger, fitter and much more mobile if he gets it right. Better ball feed into the forward line and sustained f50 defensive pressure will help.

100 games and 250 goals from here would be enough for me and Im quietly confident. If he achieves that we will likely see 200 games and 500 goals.

There is always risk. Little risk usually equates to little gain.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

He's good enough. It appears as though he's been putting in the work required. Now all he needs is that scarcest of resources at the saints. Luck.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Interesting discussion on SEN about clubs picking youngsters for KP Fwd positions. Basically saying that it's a totally different game at AFL level, and not just because of the speed and physicality of the game. In TAC Cup games there's rules that require players to be fwd of the play in every stoppage - not to mention nil tagging and nil zoning/flooding. So big lead up fwds can stay at home and run at the ball, with not as many players around them.

In AFL players are expected to run down the ground and sprint back to win the ball with the ball being kicked into space. If they are to lead at the ball they have a million players in their area to contend with. It's almost a different sport. The one key thing that they must have is aerobic fitness. I personally reckon that half the people on here are dreaming if they reckon that Paddy will make it to the level we're hoping or need him to. He's just not built for that. He can improve his aerobic capacity, sure. But the truly dominant fwds like Buddy and Roo and even Josh Kennedy are fit as. Even Jack Riewoldt, Adelaide's Tom Lynch. I can see Paddy possibly getting to the level that Tex Walker is at, however Tex is a beautiful kick, far better than Paddy is. Paddy is a better contested mark, or I reckon he will be anyway.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Moods"]Interesting discussion on SEN about clubs picking youngsters for KP Fwd positions. Basically saying that it's a totally different game at AFL level, and not just because of the speed and physicality of the game. In TAC Cup games there's rules that require players to be fwd of the play in every stoppage - not to mention nil tagging and nil zoning/flooding. So big lead up fwds can stay at home and run at the ball, with not as many players around them.

In AFL players are expected to run down the ground and sprint back to win the ball with the ball being kicked into space. If they are to lead at the ball they have a million players in their area to contend with. It's almost a different sport. The one key thing that they must have is aerobic fitness. I personally reckon that half the people on here are dreaming if they reckon that Paddy will make it to the level we're hoping or need him to. He's just not built for that. He can improve his aerobic capacity, sure. But the truly dominant fwds like Buddy and Roo and even Josh Kennedy are fit as. Even Jack Riewoldt, Adelaide's Tom Lynch. I can see Paddy possibly getting to the level that Tex Walker is at, however Tex is a beautiful kick, far better than Paddy is. Paddy is a better contested mark, or I reckon he will be.

I just think that its too early to call anything on Paddy yet. I will stay quietly confident for another 12 months, especially now Roo is gone. This coming year is make or break I guess but his story so far is a remarkable one; of a kid who has worked incredibly hard against huge odds to get where he is. I dont think we have seen 1/10 of what he is cspable of.