Swans delist Michael Talia n Brandon Jack

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Swans delist Michael Talia n Brandon Jack

evertonfc wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
spert wrote:The Saints really need to be tough and smart with recruiting, and not just grab fringe players.
You mean fringe players like Membrey, Bruce, and Steele?
I think he means like Weller, Roberton, Savage, Longer, Stevens and Brown. No chance of any of them getting into our best 22, eh?

Let's be honest. Polishing up some of the AFL's unwanted goods in the 21-26 age bracket (often for little or no cost) has covered up the fact that we are unbelievably bad at drafting and/or developing players from scratch.

Of course we want A-grade players, but you've got to find value. Trust me, there's plenty of it about.
Oh...
Yeah...I keep forgetting that we've developed nobody in our current list.
I mean Billings is a dud, Acres shows no promise. Dunstan just keeps getting worse. Not sure how Ross and Newnes are even getting games, to be honest.
Gresham looks awful and offers no upside. I know he's only played two seasons but he should have won two Brownlow Medals by now.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Yeah...I keep forgetting that we've developed nobody in our current list.
I mean Billings is a dud, Acres shows no promise. Dunstan just keeps getting worse. Not sure how Ross and Newnes are even getting games, to be honest.
Gresham looks awful and offers no upside. I know he's only played two seasons but he should have won two Brownlow Medals by now.
I suspect there's a bit of Long Friday lunch in that post...

I feel odd dignifying it with an answer, but anyway. All were top 25 picks and Newnes came from a Pick 13 who we couldn't develop (Tom Lynch).

And only one is bordering on A-grade, which is Billings. Who was taken at Pick 3 in an incredible draft, one before Marcus Bontempelli.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

MickThomas
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote: Yeah...I keep forgetting that we've developed nobody in our current list.
I suspect there's a bit of Long Friday lunch in that post...

I feel odd dignifying it with an answer, but anyway. All were top 25 picks and Newnes came from a Pick 13 who we couldn't develop (Tom Lynch).

And only one is bordering on A-grade, which is Billings. Who was taken at Pick 3 in an incredible draft, one before Marcus Bontempelli.
+1

Life Long Sainter is struggling so resorts to poor logic
He/she is deluded and a Blue-Sky Advocate
Can't handle the truth

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
MickThomas
Club Player

Crows players all came late in the draft, shows their $$$ in development resources
must be pretty good.
We can't develop as well as most clubs

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote:Crows players all came late in the draft, shows their $$$ in development resources
must be pretty good.
Isn't about time we asked the question as to why this is the case?

What's wrong with our talent identification?

What's wrong with our development structures?

We all want success, but we ought to be investing in these areas, not shying away from it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

MickThomas
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
MickThomas wrote:Crows players all came late in the draft, shows their $$$ in development resources
must be pretty good.
Isn't about time we asked the question as to why this is the case?

What's wrong with our talent identification?

What's wrong with our development structures?

We all want success, but we ought to be investing in these areas, not shying away from it.
Pies Crows Swines etc all have much more money than us to throw at footy dept
Not sure if footy dept spend is capped.
More money means players get better quality i suppose

Saint 58
Club Player

I think there's another factor.
Interstate teams, specifically West Coast and Adelaide (AND GEELONG !) find talent and hide talent
then pick them up as 3rd or 4th rounders.
Look at their selections in that range and you will find some "brilliant" choices

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
supersaints
Club Player

Saint 58 wrote:I think there's another factor.
Interstate teams, specifically West Coast and Adelaide (AND GEELONG !) find talent and hide talent
then pick them up as 3rd or 4th rounders.
Look at their selections in that range and you will find some "brilliant" choices
I suspect the interstate teams do manage to hide players from the draft and give them the heads up on recruiting them . It's a lot harder than it used to be due to all the talent scouts teams like Collingwood have in every state

Used to happen all the time in the old days.. I had strong ties with the Bulldogs and remember them hiding Chris Grant after discovering him in Daylsford when he was about 16 .
They paid Chris to say he was injured and withdraw from the league for the rest of the season . Was drafted the next season at pick over 100 (105 ? from memory) ..
So I can tell you first hand it used to happen and probably still does .. that's were the Smokeys come from.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!