Richo set to be offered long-term contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

shrodes wrote:
loris wrote:
Legendary wrote:The most recently retired player involved at the Saints is Lindsay Gilbee (VFL coach, retired 2012).

The next most recent is Aaron Hamill (retired 2007). He left the game a decade ago.

Sexton has been with us for 11 years (!) and Kingsley for 7 years.

McPhee came from the WAFL and Welsh came from the VFL.

We don't have any assistant coaches at St Kilda who have been involved in the AFL system at another successful club in the last decade.

Not one.

No IP from Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, Adelaide, Geelong, GWS or Footscray.

No recent experience at a club that's played deep in September.
What about the small forward who came to us from Sydney this year as an assistant? Mac /Mc L somebody????
Ben McGlynn. The IP didn't really help us in both the Sydney games though.

He's not listed on the coaches list for some reason.
Thanks Schroder that's his name. Your link to the coaching panel is 2015, before he came. You'll find McGlynn listed for 2017 in the area where there is a list of all staff employed by the St Kilda FC.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The AFL is finally getting up to speed with the real world.

You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

If has someone has a strong skill set, but lacks in other areas, you don't sack him. Same as a C-level manager in an organisation. You improve their weaknesses, and work to their strengths.

If players listen to a coach and do what they're asked, that's gold. You've got to hold onto that.

If it's the message that is the problem - then change the message. You don't need to change the person delivering it.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Thu 17 Aug 2017 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrodes
SS Life Member

loris wrote:
shrodes wrote: Ben McGlynn. The IP didn't really help us in both the Sydney games though.

Thanks Schroder that's his name. Your link to the coaching panel is 2015, before he came. You'll find McGlynn listed for 2017 in the area where there is a list of all staff employed by the St Kilda FC.
Our website is pretty bad, he's not in the top menu either

loris
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
loris wrote:
shrodes wrote: Ben McGlynn. The IP didn't really help us in both the Sydney games though.

Our website is pretty bad, he's not in the top menu either
I don't know how to link info from this Saints site to this site. However I just typed Ben McGlynn's name into that search box in the right hand corner on the Saints.com site & it gave a list of all staff at StKFC - however I think that was dated March 2017 when he first came to us. Maybe, he's been quietly sacked :? :?
Possibly when he didn't provide the IP against the Swannies :P

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:The most recently retired player involved at the Saints is Lindsay Gilbee (VFL coach, retired 2012).

The next most recent is Aaron Hamill (retired 2007). He left the game a decade ago.

We don't have any assistant coaches at St Kilda who have been involved in the AFL system at another successful club in the last decade.

Not one.

This is very damming if it is all the assistants we have.

Have you considered emailing Finnis and paid the question to him if he thinks it's an issue??

I'd be surprised if any other team would have such an outdated bunch of assistants.

I know these two don't have premiership IP but I'd love Johnathon Brown and Dal Santo as assistants - but that's based on their fantastic communication skills and the attitude they had to playing the game more than anything.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

Not one.

This is very damming if it is all the assistants we have.

Have you considered emailing Finnis and paid the question to him if he thinks it's an issue??

I'd be surprised if any other team would have such an outdated bunch of assistants.

I know these two don't have premiership IP but I'd love Johnathon Brown and Dal Santo as assistants - but that's based on their fantastic communication skills and the attitude they had to playing the game more than anything.
Montagna and Reiwoldt are there though.

They are both 'playing coaches' and obviously up to speed with the modern game.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/s ... h-new-deal
ST KILDA has extended coach Alan Richardson's contract for a further two seasons, with the deal set to be announced at Friday night's best and fairest.

Richardson was due to come out of contract at the end of next season, but both the coach and the Saints have long been keen to extend their partnership.

It is understood negotiations have been smooth, with detailed talks starting at the end of the Saints' season.

The deal will make the 52-year-old the club's longest serving coach in more than four decades if he serves his full term to the end of 2020.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/s ... h-new-deal
ST KILDA has extended coach Alan Richardson's contract for a further two seasons, with the deal set to be announced at Friday night's best and fairest.

Richardson was due to come out of contract at the end of next season, but both the coach and the Saints have long been keen to extend their partnership.

It is understood negotiations have been smooth, with detailed talks starting at the end of the Saints' season.

The deal will make the 52-year-old the club's longest serving coach in more than four decades if he serves his full term to the end of 2020.
If he achieves the ultimate prize, he'll be there for LIFE! ( fingers crossed!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saint-stu
Club Player

I'm not sure our problems are tactical. The biggest issues that we see are
1. Goal kicking. Worst in the league and cost us finals this yesr. Our current coaches haven't been turn it around. Hiring Been Dixon is a great move.
2. Not turning up some weeks. Again it seems we havent been able to change this. I really hope the club is looking hard at the cause(s) of this.

Last year we also had the problem of playing interstate and the coaching team and players have managed to turn that around this year.

Also I wonder if the causes of our losses are not necessarily game plan related. It would seem for whatever reason the team hasn't been able to follow the plan in every game, rather than the plan being wrong. The tigers should give us confidence this style stacks up. Given we're in development mode rather than contending, maybe Richo wants the players to work through this to make sure they learn to follow the plan rather than looking for a plan B.

1ac46a38
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good move

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spert
Saintsational Legend

No convinced sorry.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:I'm not sure our problems are tactical. The biggest issues that we see are
1. Goal kicking. Worst in the league and cost us finals this yesr. Our current coaches haven't been turn it around. Hiring Been Dixon is a great move.
2. Not turning up some weeks. Again it seems we havent been able to change this. I really hope the club is looking hard at the cause(s) of this.

Last year we also had the problem of playing interstate and the coaching team and players have managed to turn that around this year.

Also I wonder if the causes of our losses are not necessarily game plan related. It would seem for whatever reason the team hasn't been able to follow the plan in every game, rather than the plan being wrong. The tigers should give us confidence this style stacks up. Given we're in development mode rather than contending, maybe Richo wants the players to work through this to make sure they learn to follow the plan rather than looking for a plan B.
Agree with that.
Our two worst performances were against Essendon and Melbourne.
We didn't show up at all for the Essendon game. It was our lowest pressure index game for the season.
The Melbourne game was different. Our skill level in the first quarter was as bad as I have seen it for a long, long time. After quarter time, we actually outplayed Melbourne and had a real chance at snatching the game.
We have also been terribly inaccurate for most of the season and that cost us a win against the Eagles and percentage boosts against Brisbane, Gold Coast, and North Melbourne.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:No convinced sorry.
No need to apologise mate. Perhaps a good season in 2018 maybe will convince you?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
No need to apologise mate. Perhaps a good season in 2018 maybe will convince you?
A premiership in 2018 would go a long way to alleviating most doubts I have

older saint
SS Life Member

Glad to see security for the future. Hard to attract players as out is , even harder when they don't know who they will be playing for.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Yeah, not sure either. Dal on TV last night saying he thought it was unnecessary to extend now - too early and improvement has stalled. Can't tell me hasn't had inside word from Roo and Joey.