Motlop

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Re: Motlop

Junior wrote:Can't believe the bagging of Motlop, would walk into our side.

We have a side lacking X factor, pace and skills he addresses these three things and we would not have to trade for him.

Seems like a no brainer to me get him is a free agent it would be nothing other than a bonus.
I tend to agree with you there - I think his price might have just gone up a bit after his finals campaign

st.rick
Club Player

Some players always play better in the big games, He seems to be one of them get him if we can at a good price ofcourse :)

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

A free agent with pace and skill and like breaking qualities - yes please!
Walks into our best 15 and has a difference of skills that we are badly lacking.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
loris
Saintsational Legend

The last 2 games he's played have been noteworthy. As a Geelong supporting friend of mine whose hubby is on the Geelong Committee said....... "rarely will Motlop play 2 consistently good games, he must be trying to up his market $ as the word at Geelong is he is one to trade".

So either Motlop is either trying to convince Geelong to stick with him, or he is attempting to get his price in the market pushed up a little with other Clubs.

MickThomas
Club Player

born 12 March 1991,
he's only 26, and at his height and weight,
barring injury, he could play another 5-6 years?
4 years at the very least...
Could very well add some much needed zip to the club.

He would be in the best 22, in my opinion

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Clearly Cats best in all three finals in my book. Importantly, played his heart out and ran his ring off even when they were done. Remember his huge last qtr agqinst us at Etihad a couple of years ago? We had the Cats on toast until he tore us apart. We were luck to get away with a draw.

He has the ability to turn games as well as win them, something too rare on our list. He and the Saints could be major players in working a way for the Cats to get Stringer / Ablett. Might not cos us the world in that circumstance.

Saint supporter since '62
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Motflop is way too inconsistent, that is why Geelong want to trade him, i hope the Bulldogs pine for him more than we do , hopefully, the Saints, the club know reality, rather than the know all about nothing supporters. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Motflop is way too inconsistent, that is why Geelong want to trade him, i hope the Bulldogs pine for him more than we do , hopefully, the Saints, the club know reality, rather than the know all about nothing supporters. :lol:
Not completely true.
He is a FA.He can walk.

They have offered him a contract I think?
Geelong have much bigger problems on their list than Motlop.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Motflop is way too inconsistent, that is why Geelong want to trade him, i hope the Bulldogs pine for him more than we do , hopefully, the Saints, the club know reality, rather than the know all about nothing supporters. :lol:
Not completely true.
He is a FA.He can walk.

As long as we don't get sucked in by Motflop i'll be happy.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Not completely true.
He is a FA.He can walk.

As long as we don't get sucked in by Motflop i'll be happy.
What if we get him for nothing?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Gained nothing, lost nothng = the only positive of that scenario. ?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Op Get Motlop to the Saints!

I'm in.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
MickThomas wrote:My issue is that he is more cold than hot
and I doubt he'd bring anything valuable.

I would rather a younger more talented player who will
have more chance of getting better, rather than Motlop
who has more downside than upside
Played 3/3. Good finals including in two losses.

You might be correct but I just object to him being called a downhill skier. If anything - he coasts when they are winning.
Con you cannot be serious!!!

Motlop's game against Richmond was shocking. Did you even watch it?

When Richmond were up and about and Geelong had a chance to counter attack, on 2 (may be 3 occasions), Motlop got the ball forward of centre with players streaming forward and in all occasions...
He kicked it straight to a Tiger.

Under pressure, he lacks composure. He blazes.

Surely if you watched the Adelaide v Geelong game, you learned that good decision making in addition to speed, is what wins matches.

But for whatever reason, it appears you've already made your mind up about the kid. Your post with Motlops stats is a classic example of how ppl use them to twist an argument without context. You've picked a select sample size to make your point...

Look at Motlop overall... there's a reason he's a maligned player.

I would say that Shave Savage is equally as good

supersaints
Club Player

If he played (effort wise) all the time like he has (since being told he was to be traded)... then Girlong would not be offering him up for trade.
It points out how lazy he really is. He rarely puts in the amount of effort required

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Motlop started on the wing in a top 4 side in a prelim. He can't be too bad. Again, he would get a game in the Saints best 22 atm.

Give him a 2 year contract and let him prove himself. Its worth the punt and he can get picked up for not much.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I wouldnt be against offering him a contract $$$. His finals campaign was exceptional and exactly the type of link player we need. Perhaps a fresh start will inspire him to consistently show the same output as the finals.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:I wouldnt be against offering him a contract $$$. His finals campaign was exceptional and exactly the type of link player we need. Perhaps a fresh start will inspire him to consistently show the same output as the finals.
And maybe it takes a few years for it to sink in, just what it takes to be a success.
His best is elite.

Nee!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Looks like the Motlop train is gathering a bit of steam! :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:The last 2 games he's played have been noteworthy. As a Geelong supporting friend of mine whose hubby is on the Geelong Committee said....... "rarely will Motlop play 2 consistently good games, he must be trying to up his market $ as the word at Geelong is he is one to trade".

So either Motlop is either trying to convince Geelong to stick with him, or he is attempting to get his price in the market pushed up a little with other Clubs.

Or maybe at 26 he is at last getting to be more consistent.

As FA he can just walk though and so while Geelong may wish to trade him if he wants go FA will more likely be a better path for him and the club that takes him.

I like his talent, but like many I would be concerned like you on his consistency and whether he has of fact come of age.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

A reasonable performance in a side beaten by 11 goals. Crows didn't consider him worth much defensive effort. Whoever noted that Geelong know him and want to sell him noted well. Athletic but plenty are. Steven is not worth bothering about given we already have better - running sideways/across the field is not an elite skill unless you have Billy Slater backing up.

saint6709
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
loris wrote:The last 2 games he's played have been noteworthy. As a Geelong supporting friend of mine whose hubby is on the Geelong Committee said....... "rarely will Motlop play 2 consistently good games, he must be trying to up his market $ as the word at Geelong is he is one to trade".

Or maybe at 26 he is at last getting to be more consistent.

As FA he can just walk though and so while Geelong may wish to trade him if he wants go FA will more likely be a better path for him and the club that takes him.

I like his talent, but like many I would be concerned like you on his consistency and whether he has of fact come of age.
He is about the same age as Eddie Betts was when he left Carlton - he has potentially got a lot of good footy ahead of him still

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/25/ ... ays-robbo/

Looking more likely Cats will get Motlop out.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Motlop's performances are WAY too inconsistent for mine. Attitude also decidedly sus.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:Motlop's performances are WAY too inconsistent for mine. Attitude also decidedly sus.
True but still worth a punt I reckon. Dangerfield spoke very highly of him and internally at Geelong he is valued for his x factor abilities. A change of club might do him wonders.

I think giving him a 2 year contract to prove himself isn't too big a risk. But won't be disappointed if the Saints don't get him either.

stonecold
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Motlop's performances are WAY too inconsistent for mine. Attitude also decidedly sus.
True but still worth a punt I reckon. Dangerfield spoke very highly of him and internally at Geelong he is valued for his x factor abilities. A change of club might do him wonders.

I think giving him a 2 year contract to prove himself isn't too big a risk. But won't be disappointed if the Saints don't get him either.
I know Stevie pretty well and let me inform you in no un-certain terms, he's attitude is fine and he has held informal discussions with some at St.Kilda!!!!!

Informal conversation only, before posters get carried away!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯