Josh Kelly; a "Messiah"?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Kelly; a "Messiah"?

Oh, McKenzie

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Why don't we develop our own messiah? Who would be potential candidates? Billings? Acres? Gresham? McCartin (gulp)?

Our list management team are much better at trading in talent than drafting in talent.

I am hopeful still that Gresh and Billings can become elite. But as it stands we drafted Jack Steven way back in 2007 and unfortunately no one since has yet reached or exceeded his level. And that is a major concern to me as that is no one to build a Top 4 Team.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

How about we wait and see if Kelly even comes to us. Chances are he will stay put.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote:How about we wait and see if Kelly even comes to us. Chances are he will stay put.
Much as I'd like us to recruit Josh Kelly, I just don't see him leaving GWS.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
MickThomas
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Why don't we develop our own messiah? Who would be potential candidates? Billings? Acres? Gresham? McCartin (gulp)?

Our list management team are much better at trading in talent than drafting in talent.

I am hopeful still that Gresh and Billings can become elite. But as it stands we drafted Jack Steven way back in 2007 and unfortunately no one since has yet reached or exceeded his level. And that is a major concern to me as that is no one to build a Top 4 Team.
Traded in:
Roberton
Bruce
Membrey
Carlisle
Koby Stevens
Jack Steele
Nathan Brown (some say he's a poor trade, but really, after Goddard got injured, do we have any big defenders waiting? NO)
The club recognises their extremely poor record in developing our youngsters, and rather than fix the system,
they just find it easier to buy in talent.
They look at who is available around the league because they are useless at getting youngsters up to a senior level.
Gresh, Billings, Dunny are getting better in spite of the system

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Is it just drafting, or is it development? As a low revenue club we have to do things on the cheap, that has to have some effect on performance.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
MickThomas
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Is it just drafting, or is it development? As a low revenue club we have to do things on the cheap, that has to have some effect on performance.
For a response, I refer you to that Rocky movie (Rocky IV?) where Rocky trained in a remote snowy log cabin, lifting huge pieces of timber,
running on snowy roads in freezing conditions, while Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) trained in the USSR in a high-tech lab,
being monitored by guys in white coats while running on a treadmill indoors.
:shock:

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

I think it is more drafting than lack of development.

We do just do not seem to have as many young players who make early impact (ie they have not had the time yet for club development to have been a factor) compared to other clubs.

Not that I am discounting the importance of development. You obviously need to and yes I agree that I do not think that the Saints do it well. For example one way I think we suffer is that we do not have core of good solid VFL players at Sandi who can help our young drafties more.

However even with so so development I think the guns would still come though, and that lack of quality since we gain Steven to me is very telling. I think that in itself shows that it is not just poor development.

I think also someone think that Sinclair shows that development is occurring. Sinclair is a guy who had cricket as his in focus and so hence was undeveloped football wise. Sincs always had the flair and looked good, but went missing and his defensive game was not good. The club worked on his defensive side etc and have turned him into a much better player.

Sincs is our best rookie in a long long time (Geary and Jones booth from the 2006 Rookie Draft). But again the worrying thing is that our recruiters did not identify him. Billings his best mate did!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Kelly is an excellent footballer, absolutely no doubt about THAT. Would he be a great addition to our playing list? absolutely no doubt about THAT. Is he the "missing link" the ingredient to guarantee a premiership? No, not really, he's not even the "missing link" for a flag for GWS! Far too much expectations being placed at the feet of this young man.
We simply need a player of his calibre on our team, Jiggster. END OF STORY.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

We could easily keep recruiting useful players, but we really need to bite te bullet and get class, otherwise we will just keep plodding along around the mid-low end of the ladder in the foreseeable future

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Kelly is an excellent footballer, absolutely no doubt about THAT. Would he be a great addition to our playing list? absolutely no doubt about THAT. Is he the "missing link" the ingredient to guarantee a premiership? No, not really, he's not even the "missing link" for a flag for GWS! Far too much expectations being placed at the feet of this young man.
We simply need a player of his calibre on our team, Jiggster. END OF STORY.
No argument from me mate, absolutely none. My issue is with the hype going around the traps that Kelly will be the answer to all our ills of 2017. I'm not convinced that he'll be leaving GWS any time soon, sadly for us.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Kelly is about to sign a two year deal with the giants

diddley
Club Player

saynta wrote:Kelly is about to sign a two year deal with the giants
What makes you say that? A hunch or a source?

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

AFL 360

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good move

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Was NEVER a chance of coming to the Saints ( sad but true)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Was NEVER a chance of coming to the Saints ( sad but true)
Oh so you are an ITK now as well.....

Odds were that he was going to stay at GWS for 2018 due the odds of winning a flag being more likely. But I doubt that he was never a chance.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Well he's not the Messiah anymore. Just a very naughty boy. Close the thread. Move along now folks. Nothing to see here. Let the period of mourning begin.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Was NEVER a chance of coming to the Saints ( sad but true)
Oh so you are an ITK now as well.....

Odds were that he was going to stay at GWS for 2018 due the odds of winning a flag being more likely. But I doubt that he was never a chance.

Are you on medicinal compound, mate? Calm the phuck down! No mate,, I'm not an ITK ( whatever the phuck that is :roll: ) just someone who saw Kelly staying put, based on my instincts.

In my opinion, he was never a chance after our onfield performances in 2017

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
No argument from me mate, absolutely none. My issue is with the hype going around the traps that Kelly will be the answer to all our ills of 2017. I'm not convinced that he'll be leaving GWS any time soon, sadly for us.
As I posted earlier NO ONE but you indicated that. It is a figment of your imagination. So your issue is with your own delusion.

Have a read of many threads on here and what you will read by many different posters is that we have many issues to address, one of which is a lack of elite players, and elite mids in particular. Kelly was only ever touted as an answer to one part of the puzzle and never as the answer in himself.

The Clubs strategic plan was to land a BigFish like Kelly this year. Not my plan, not other forumites plans, but the Clubs plan. ' So the reality is that the Club was chasing player's like Kelly to join as in 2018. Not as per your rubbish about him being the answer in himself, but in a player such as him being part of the overall plan.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
As I posted earlier NO ONE but you indicated that. It is a figment of your imagination. So your issue is with your own delusion.

Have a read of many threads on here and what you will read by many different posters is that we have many issues to address, one of which is a lack of elite players, and elite mids in particular. Kelly was only ever touted as an answer to one part of the puzzle and never as the answer in himself.

The Clubs strategic plan was to land a BigFish like Kelly this year. Not my plan, not other forumites plans, but the Clubs plan. ' So the reality is that the Club was chasing player's like Kelly to join as in 2018. Not as per your rubbish about him being the answer in himself, but in a player such as him being part of the overall plan.
Whatever :roll: d'you feel better now mate? There's a good boy,