Off-Season Player Review/Discussion - #44 Maverick Weller

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Off-Season Player Review/Discussion - #44 Maverick Weller

As it's a long offseason, I thought this would be a bit of fun especially leading into the trade period. Logically Maverick Weller seemed a logical place to start as a much maligned player that's potentially now up for trade.

It's been a tough year for Mav Weller... he was an absolute lock in 2016, IMO a top 10 player, and his performance was rewarded with elevation into the leadership group.

What happened in 2017 I don't know.

The best way to describe his season... ineffective. He was amongst the worst culprits for missing shots at goal, he didn't get a ton of the ball, his opponents ran off him, he seemed less effective as a pressurer.
On and on it went.

There were regular reports that Mav was impaired with an ankle injury... yet he practically played the entire season and even when dropped, he played in the VFL.

As such this aura/mythos developed that he was somehow seen as indispensable amongst the coaching staff, and as fans we stretched to find reasons as to why he was still bring selected...
The end result: someone came up with the notion that Mav does the infamous 'blocking and guarding space' routine as well as Andrew McQualter did back in the day.

The key stats are as follows:

He played 18 games, averaged 17 disposals (8k, 9hb), kicked 8g.11b

But look at the numbers more closely
5 of 8 goals were kicked before round 7
One game he kicked 0.3 behinds

He got above 20 disposals just 3 times this season and keep in mind that his average disposals was inflated by the 28d he got in the training run vs Hawthorn

Tackles... averaged 3 a game however on break down, he was very hot and cold. Two games he laid 7 tackles, one with 6 and two with 5. Most games he had 2 or less tackles.

So upon considering all of this... my conclusion is, help me out here. What on earth were the coaching staff seeing here?
I just don't see it. From where I stand, they played an obviously injured player ahead of guys like White (who often played better) or trying guys like Savage on a HFF... and all the coaching staff achieved with Mav this season is they've destroyed his reputation completely.

He went from a lock to being highly disliked amongst fans.

What do others think?
How does he move forward?
Can we try something new?
What's he worth?

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Off-Season Player Review/Discussion - #44 Maverick Welle

A couple of 7/10 performances early in the season but nothing better than 5/10 after round 8. Unless he was playing injured he will struggle to make our best 22 in 2018.

summertime and the living is easy ........
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Aside from Hickey our most disappointing player this year. The fact they kept playing him suggests we have no one ready to take that role, so we need him back to last years form.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Should have been rested properly.
Now he doesn't even have trade value

Nee!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

The fact... Well I understand that it is a fact, that he was played injured, just shyts me to tears.

We have guys on the list that could have played at least a defensive forward role while Max was managed.

Damaged his brand is what it did. Damaged his freaking brand. Perhaps only externally.

He has had a tough year. Towards the end he just needed it to end.

I hope he doesn't get traded. I hope he has a preseason from hell and learns to kick at goal again.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Players have off seasons due to a number of different factors. It happens from time to time. That's AFL footy.

Robbo comes to mind 3 years back. He had a bad ankle injury. He still played most weeks but it really stuffed his season and output.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Gershwin
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Players have off seasons due to a number of different factors. It happens from time to time. That's AFL footy.

Robbo comes to mind 3 years back. He had a bad ankle injury. He still played most weeks but it really stuffed his season and output.
Bad ankle injury is a fair enough explanation for Roberton. Haven't heard anything official re. Weller.

summertime and the living is easy ........
MickThomas
Club Player

Weller would like to think he's like Rooey, can play through injury.
Rooey is a once in a generation player, nobody is like him.
Weller should have said "I am unfit" and get sorted and recover.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
stonecold
SS Life Member

Gershwin wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Players have off seasons due to a number of different factors. It happens from time to time. That's AFL footy.

Bad ankle injury is a fair enough explanation for Roberton. Haven't heard anything official re. Weller.
You been leaving under a rock?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how an injured ankle makes you ignore team-mates in the clear, be selfish and hungry and make terrible decisions.
I guess the inflammation in the ankle spreads to the brain?

MickThomas
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Not sure how an injured ankle makes you ignore team-mates in the clear, be selfish and hungry and make terrible decisions.
Why bump a thread that's been silent for a fortnight?

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

MickThomas wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Not sure how an injured ankle makes you ignore team-mates in the clear, be selfish and hungry and make terrible decisions.
Why bump a thread that's been silent for a fortnight?
Because he is his no 1 fan! Just for Con G!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
spert
Saintsational Legend

Ordinary season to say the least. Selfish play, not enough of the footy. I think Minch would have been pressuring for Mav's spot if he hadn't got injured.