Off Season Player Review/Discussion - #4 Jade Gresham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Off Season Player Review/Discussion - #4 Jade Gresham

He's copped a lot of criticism this season and to be honest, very harshly IMO.

At the start of the season, what we wanted from Jade was to see him kick goals but take a step forward as a playmaker... not always take the shot but set others up. And by and large I think he did that.

He scored 30g. 30b (60 total scores is kind of impressive), and averaged 6 score involvements a game. 3 tackles a game too.

He didn't get a ton of ball... 14 disposals. So that's an area he needs to work on and by all accounts he is destined for heavy aerobic training to transition into the midfield next season.

I doubt he'll ever be a permanent mid but all the stats suggest that he's super dangerous once he has ball. Cyril really seems to be the prototype model for this guy.

So why so much criticism? Yes he fluffs a lot of opportunities but the thing is, Jade is one of those rare breeds who seemingly can make something out of nothing. Sometimes I think Gresh does that; he gets to a contest he shouldn't reach or spins something that he has no business being able to make something out of and occasionally fails... shouldn't be chastised for this.

For mine... really love this guy. I reckon he's a genuine A-Grader. All he needs is a big tank to be able to spend brief periods in the middle, and I'd to see him work on his tackling technique a bit more too.

Thoughts?

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Off Season Player Review/Discussion - #4 Jade Gresham

Love the Gresh and he finished off the season with a 8/10 performance. To me it is important that players have a high ceiling and I think Gresham has that.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

He's intercepts in the forward 50 that lead to goals were great to watch this year, he has something special about him

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

You may recall a practice match against Port Adelaide a few weeks before the season began, Jade spent a quarter in the midfield and I reckon he had 7 or 8 clearances, he was super impressive. In the season proper he rarely went into the midfield, coach probably felt he lacked the tank. Another pre season should help improve his tank and I'd expect more time in the middle.

Jade was also more than handy as a small forward, unlike some of our other mids. Toward the end of the season Dunstan got forward, hopefully a few others can develop this flexability next year.

Billings was also kept forward in the early part of his career, but moved up the field in the later part of the season.

I'm of the view that the reduced interchange rotations means that more of the small guys need to do a share of time in the middle, but then 'rest' up forward and be effective goal scorers.

Gresham has some unique qualities, and I reckon he has the potential to develop into a great player, perhaps even a Brownlow medalist.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Lets get serious. He is only like 19 or 20 and just played 2 seasons of AFL footy. How someone at this point in their career can get the stupid criticism that floats around is total nonsense. The poor kid has basically played every senior game in his first 2 years. That is very tough on a young body and mind. He just had 60 scoring shots too in his 2nd season. That is unbelievable.

He is ahead of the curve at where a player his age should be which is a massive bonus for a pick 18. He's also way ahead of every single player that was drafted in the 5 years before him at the same point in their career.

In 3-4 years, Gresh will be up there along Ross and J. Steven as our best player.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Lets get serious. He is only like 19 or 20 and just played 2 seasons of AFL footy. How someone at this point in their career can get the stupid criticism that floats around is total nonsense. The poor kid has basically played every senior game in his first 2 years. That is very tough on a young body and mind. He just had 60 scoring shots too in his 2nd season. That is unbelievable.

He is ahead of the curve at where a player his age should be which is a massive bonus for a pick 18. He's also way ahead of every single player that was drafted in the 5 years before him at the same point in their career.

In 3-4 years, Gresh will be up there along Ross and J. Steven as our best player.
Totally agree, PS. 40 games in his first two seasons. Outstanding. 60 scoring shots. A bit more accurate and he moves into the elite small forward category. He is a special talent. I believe the best on our list. Once he gets a tank he will be a genuine A Grader.
He will be our best in a couple of years.

I too, have been astonished by the criticism he has copped on here this year. Some people constantly called for him to be given a spell at Sandringham. Apart from the fact that he deserved his spot, there's very little to be gained by sending elite talent back to the twos, unless it's a disciplinary issue. He's an absolute gun. Already.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:In 3-4 years, Gresh will be up there along Ross and J. Steven as our best player.
Gee, if those three are our best 4 years from now we are stuffed. Gresh should become very good, but even if he becomes Milne good, Milne was never in our best three and that team never saluted. We need players to go past what Steven and Ross can produce in midfield if we're to truly contend.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
St Loxton
Club Player

He's definitely exciting to watch. So much footy ahead of him.
8 out of 10 for this season.

Can only get fitter, stronger and smarter.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Can someone explain to me how Gresham didn't make the 40 man squad AND the best 22 for the 22 under 22.

In the squad was both Rioli and Butler... both had considerable less possessions and goals and shots on goal to Jade as an equivalent. Rioli even made the best 22.

What a complete farce.

diddley
Club Player

Am I the only one who thinks he could be more a Robbie Grey style player, with a touch of Cyril Rioli flair. Dominant small forward with the flair in the midfield in spurts.
From memory Robbie started well in the forward line, and everyone wanted him to move to the middle, but never really aced it. Moved back forward and a little in the mid and has a bit of X factor when he is there.
Would gresh be better suited doing this? Or even Billings.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Last 2 or 3 games for the year Gresh really arrived.
He will be elite.
Will go between midfield and forward and being very good at both like Brent Harvey.

Nee!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

So much talent.

Decent year. Needs another preseason.

Not expecting him to move into the midfield. Don't know if he ever will.

He is going to be one hell of a footballer.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Thirty goals thirty is a hell of a return for a second-year player with fewer than 50 games experience.

It will be a big mistake if he is used next season mainly as a small forward.

He needs to spend the off season doing two things. Developing a tank large enough to be used mainly as a midfielder and working on his goal-kicking accuracy.

The sky is the limit for this kid

The_President
Club Player

If they did the 2015 draft over again, Gresh would be easily top 5, maybe even top 3.

Weitering
Oliver
Burton
Mills
Gresham

We got him with pick 18.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Can someone explain to me how Gresham didn't make the 40 man squad AND the best 22 for the 22 under 22.

In the squad was both Rioli and Butler... both had considerable less possessions and goals and shots on goal to Jade as an equivalent. Rioli even made the best 22.

What a complete farce.
Dan Rioli may even overcome his cousin as the most overrated player running around. Gresh will end up top 5 from that deft year I reckon, may already be there

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Can someone explain to me how Gresham didn't make the 40 man squad AND the best 22 for the 22 under 22.

What a complete farce.
He doesn't play for GWS, Sydney, or any of the other pet clubs. Unfortunately, we are of no relevance to the AFL other than making up the numbers for the TV rights money. How a kid misses selection, when he played every game, kicked 30 goals and had 60 shots on goal, beggars belief. All that and he's not related to the Riolis. That just about covers it. What a howler!

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:If they did the 2015 draft over again, Gresh would be easily top 5, maybe even top 3.

Weitering
Oliver
Burton
Mills
Gresham

We got him with pick 18.
I believe that we were going to take him at 5 (which became 6) anyway so to get Carlisle and Gresham - we did well.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Thoughts?
Oozes talent.

Earlier this season though he was getting sucked into trying to do the spectacular too often.

Second half of the year I felt he became harder working, more disciplined and that his teamplay was better. He finished the year very strongly which bodes well for 2018.

His main black mark for 2018, like Billings that he accuracy on goal was not good enough. If the two of them can improve this aspect of their games this will make a significant difference to our fortunes in 2018.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....