Stringer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Re: Stringer

stonecold wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
desertsaint wrote:not keen on him, unless he's going very cheap. i would do a second rounder, but we don't have one.
we have no one we'd let go in a trade for him that they'd take. i.e. i'd give them lonie, or hickey, or weller, or armo.
Just imagine we miss out on getting Kelly and pick up this bum instead. Not a good outcome.

All-Australian, Premiership bum!!!!!
Good point, chumley, bumley. This is the true art of recruiting. Like the stock market, buy low, sell high. Any donkey can target a Kelly, Martin or Fyfe. The better clubs grab a bargain by getting under performers and turning them into valuable players. Our Tom Lynch, anyone? Clubs like Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney do it so well. Sure they have their misses, but if you don't try, you don't get the reward.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm afraid that history hasn't judged our "punts" on players such as Stringer, Lovettand one or two others very well.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
MickThomas
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm afraid that history hasn't judged our "punts" on players such as Stringer, Lovettand one or two others very well.
A 'punt' is a 'Gamble' and boy, wasn't he a bargain

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm afraid that history hasn't judged our "punts" on players such as Stringer, Lovettand one or two others very well.
A 'punt' is a 'Gamble' and boy, wasn't he a bargain
:lol: :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yeh "Steak knives" Demspter, Bruce, Membrey, Gardiner, Bruce, Carlisle all shockers. Never take a punt.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Premium89
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Yeh "Steak knives" Demspter, Bruce, Membrey, Gardiner, Bruce, Carlisle all shockers. Never take a punt.
Who is the other Bruce??

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
If you're going to be a smartarse at least take the time to read my reply PROPERLY. The key words are " such as " or did you miss that?

The_President
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

Roberton says hello.

minneapolis
Club Player

Premium89 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Who is the other Bruce??
Two Bruces don't make a Kevin.

(Python quote?)

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Roberton says hello.
See reply to SaintsRrising :roll:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
desertsaint wrote:not keen on him, unless he's going very cheap. i would do a second rounder, but we don't have one.
we have no one we'd let go in a trade for him that they'd take. i.e. i'd give them lonie, or hickey, or weller, or armo.
Just imagine we miss out on getting Kelly and pick up this bum instead. Not a good outcome.

All-Australian, Premiership bum!!!!!
Good point, chumley, bumley. This is the true art of recruiting. Like the stock market, buy low, sell high. Any donkey can target a Kelly, Martin or Fyfe. The better clubs grab a bargain by getting under performers and turning them into valuable players. Our Tom Lynch, anyone? Clubs like Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney do it so well. Sure they have their misses, but if you don't try, you don't get the reward.
Sure, but it sounds as though Stringer comes with baggage. We have recruited our fair share of basket-cases in the past and got burnt too many times. Carlisle was a huge risk, but fortunately he seems to have matured and got his faculties straight. That year long suspension may have been somewhat of a blessing in disguise, as it gave him an opportunity for introspection and personal growth.
Last edited by Sainternist on Wed 13 Sep 2017 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

This time last year "On the Couch" was asking each weekly guest to nominate whether to build a club around Jake Stringer or Melbourne's Hogan. A year on both have had very unfortunate seasons for circumstances you would not wish on anyone, and that question isn't so much hanging as resolved in the double negative. Does it show even gifted Couch insiders with tons of experience and unlimited access to the Lab data (spot sarcasm re lab?) can't foresee even the short term as fate always has a trick. Its tough judging recruiting decisions where lady luck doesn't smile. I have sent recruitment supremo Bain a crystal ball and tarot cards in the hope they help. While wrapping them I glimpsed Rory Thompson - we need a red head.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote:Apparently, he wants to go to Essendon or Geelong. Based on that he is of no value to us and appears to be looking to be a cream on top player rather than a foundation to build from.
Hopefully the recruiting team are thinking similarly. He will end up at Essendon most likely.
Ineresting choices, Essendon have a known drug culture and Geelong was involved with Dean "The Weapon" Robinson for some time....wonder if he'd consider West Coast?....

...oh yeah...we had Ahmet Saad....known drug (sports drink) cheat....

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Premium89 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Who is the other Bruce??
Super Duper Bruce Duperouzel

MickThomas
Club Player

The AFL Update on Facebook is reporting that
Beveridge says The Package won't be at the Kennel in 2018.
He will be delivered elsewhere?

from the HUN:
In his first comments on the stunning split, Beveridge told the Herald Sun his premiership forward ultimately agreed he would be better suited elsewhere.
The only scenario which would see Stringer, 23, remain at the Bulldogs would be if a trade deal didn’t satisfy the club.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
saint6709
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:Apparently, he wants to go to Essendon or Geelong. Based on that he is of no value to us and appears to be looking to be a cream on top player rather than a foundation to build from.
Hopefully the recruiting team are thinking similarly. He will end up at Essendon most likely.
Ineresting choices, Essendon have a known drug culture and Geelong was involved with Dean "The Weapon" Robinson for some time....wonder if he'd consider West Coast?....

...oh yeah...we had Ahmet Saad....known drug (sports drink) cheat....
He probably doesn't want to relocate, or not too far,having kids - if we want him I'd be getting our own Jake, former troubled guy from the northwest burbs to give him a call - won't be able to offer much re the kids but should be pretty good with a number of other concerns

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Danger signs on this guy......spells trouble.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
If you're going to be a smartarse at least take the time to read my reply PROPERLY. The key words are " such as " or did you miss that?
One or two others is hardly definitive...

I was not being a smartarse but rather pointing out that players with issues/problems can turn out well.

ie St Kilda gave Stewart the arse for his offield issues (which we all know about). Richmond gave him a punt which helped them to glory plus another Brownlow in the process.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
One or two others is hardly definitive...

I was not being a smartarse but rather pointing out that players with issues/problems can turn out well.

ie St Kilda gave Stewart the arse for his offield issues (which we all know about). Richmond gave him a punt which helped them to glory plus another Brownlow in the process.

Yes mate, you WERE ( being a smartarse ) but hey! thats ok! By the way, you still haven't got it, the key words in my reply are: "players such as STRINGER, LOVETT and one or two others" The sarcastic rolling out of names like Dempster, Bruce and Membrey show that you're being a smartarse...... and one who doesn't read posts properly!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Yes mate, you WERE ( being a smartarse ) but hey! thats ok! By the way, you still haven't got it, the key words in my reply are: "players such as STRINGER, LOVETT and one or two others" The sarcastic rolling out of names like Dempster, Bruce and Membrey show that you're being a smartarse...... and one who doesn't read posts properly!
Ok. So what exactly are the issues with Stringer that rules him out?

And yes I noticed how you left Carlisle out. Probably as Carlisle became one of our best players this year despite his issues.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, the mere fact that the Bulldogs are seemingly prepared to trade him, sets alarm bells off for me.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Stringer to me seems talented but not very team oriented. Also lazy and arrogant. But of course, I don't know him. That's just how he comes across.

Plus Membrey (50 games) is already a better player of that type without the issues. Where would we play him?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Well, the mere fact that the Bulldogs are seemingly prepared to trade him, sets alarm bells off for me.
Well by that stated reason and line of logic we cannot trade with any club for any player.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Stringer to me seems talented but not very team oriented. Also lazy and arrogant. But of course, I don't know him. That's just how he comes across.

Plus Membrey (50 games) is already a better player of that type without the issues. Where would we play him?
Membrey and Stringer are different types of players.

Membrey is a marking third tall forward. Stringer is basically a big running HF with pace who does not mark much. So they both play as forwards, but with different roles. Stringer while not a mid, may have short stints in there just to break things up.

If they were the same type of player I would agree with you, but they are not.

So strategically what does the club do now that all the BigFish are either staying, or seem destined for other club?

Is it just go the draft and go the slow but steady rebuild?

Though that means Steven may be too old before the kids come good. Also we paid good $$$ for Carlisle who will be in his peak years for the next 3 years. So does it make sense to go youth after we already have Carlisle on the books?

Unless Bains pulls a rabbit out of the hat, we may well have to just go for youth. But lets not pretend that this is the outcome that the club was planning on.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Unless Bains pulls a rabbit out of the hat, we may well have to just go for youth. But lets not pretend that this is the outcome that the club was planning on.
I can see from your posts that you are pretty keen for the club to land a big fish. Personally I'm happy for the club to invest in youth through the draft and hopefully grow our own big fish. Let's call it a difference in philosophy.

It seems that Stringer is the only gettable player who might be classified as a big fish.

Because he's the only one available doesn't mean we should necessarily jump at him like a marlin at a lure, to take the big fish analogy further.

The Bulldogs want rid of him for a reason and I'd be interested to know what it is.