Alan Blossoms

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Alan Blossoms

Casual biased observation: AR started the AFL360 show coming across as a bit nervous and deferring a little to that bloke that coaches Geelong. Last night I thought he looked confident, actually made insightful points in an entertaining way and had Geelong Coach looking a bit rattled (naturally perhaps after Martin took his side apart). The Alan Richardson may be one of those high yielding trees that just take a while to develop and blossom. Anyway I was pleased for him and that he is coaching the Saints. I also think his style will be vindicated in comparison to the management speak waffle of the Geelong coach. I believe the media have twigged that since taking over a top Geelong side someone else built his finals record is not so hot. Am I grasping at straws (of course I am), but I hope some here agree. I don't see Alan doing stand up for a little while yet but directorially he seems ok for the big gigs.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Alan Blossoms

Whenever I've heard Richo talk about football in general or other teams I am very impressed with his obvious knowledge and even his performance from an entertainment point of view. But when he talks about St Kilda he is so boring as though he is checking his comments twice in his head before he talks at the risk of giving anything away. Hearing him talk in the media about the saints makes me think "how the hell could the players get inspired by this guy" but when you hear him talk football in general terms or about other teams you understand why he is highly regarded. I think we are in good hands

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

AR is a good coach everyone. He has a very good footy brain and is a good developer of players.

Yep. He might sound a bit cliche and one paced in the media sometimes but he's the damn coach. The important stuff stays behind closed doors. He's not there just to please the media and give them every little detail. Same with us in some respects. He is on a mission get us into the finals and the top 4.

He is genuinely a top bloke that the players apparantly look up to and respect. I think its great the club is stable in the coaching area. Not sure whats happening with the assistants though. Any news?

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

So Richo speaks the same way he does in the media as he does to the players behind closed doors?

Are people serious?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:AR is a good coach everyone. He has a very good footy brain and is a good developer of players.

Yep. He might sound a bit cliche and one paced in the media sometimes but he's the damn coach. The important stuff stays behind closed doors. He's not there just to please the media and give them every little detail. Same with us in some respects. He is on a mission get us into the finals and the top 4.

He is genuinely a top bloke that the players apparantly look up to and respect. I think its great the club is stable in the coaching area. Not sure whats happening with the assistants though. Any news?
He is such a good coach that we dropped down two positions on the ladder this season, and too many players generally under-performed. After four seasons, one would expect ladder positions to improve not go backwards.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Yet to show he's a damn good coach after 4 years and if he hasn't after his fifth next year he never will be more than just a good bloke.

Bring back the Lockett era
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Yet to show he's a damn good coach after 4 years and if he hasn't after his fifth next year he never will be more than just a good bloke.
So tell me how good Hardwick is.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Pretty obvious the players were mostly at fault this year (e.g. goal kicking woes) and its not all AR's fault for missing the finals. Its been gone over before but considering our much harder draw (ranked 4th hardest), we probably broke even or went a bit better than last year even though we won 11 instead of 12. Things like that need to be put in perspective to judge AR's performance.

AR took over a bottom 4 side and has put us on the cusp of finals in his 4th season. Next year will tell us some more. Don't judge or write off a coach too quickly. Look at Richmond and beware.

Some Saints fans will never be happy. I get that, they're quick to throw anyone into a running river if they don't become a superstar in their 1st year of football or the coach doesn't get them into the finals. What is an alternative for a coach atm? Choco Williams, Rocket Eade or Mad Malthouse.

Give AR until 2019 or even the end of 2020. Then we can judge him properly as he should a finals list/side to put out every week.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

None of us know what kind of coach we have within the walls of football club and how good he is with players, etc....how on earth could we? However, it does appear we have a harmonious football club and a board, CEO, and president keen to extend his contract. Perhaps it's one thing Richmond has been able to teach the rest of the football world. If you have a coach the players respect/admire and are very happy to work for, and a supportive board who is willing to bolster the football department in support of the coach, then things can work out pretty well.

It's never just about the coach. In my view, if you have a coach who has everyone's respect and who respects everyone around him, then you're on a good thing. Support him, help him in areas where he may have minor deficiencies, and things should work out okay. And another thing...if you don't have the cattle, not even a super-coach will take you to the big prize.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote:None of us know what kind of coach we have within the walls of football club and how good he is with players, etc....how on earth could we? However, it does appear we have a harmonious football club and a board, CEO, and president keen to extend his contract. Perhaps it's one thing Richmond has been able to teach the rest of the football world. If you have a coach the players respect/admire and are very happy to work for, and a supportive board who is willing to bolster the football department in support of the coach, then things can work out pretty well.

It's never just about the coach. In my view, if you have a coach who has everyone's respect and who respects everyone around him, then you're on a good thing. Support him, help him in areas where he may have minor deficiencies, and things should work out okay. And another thing...if you don't have the cattle, not even a super-coach will take you to the big prize.
Agreed. My thoughts exactly.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Yet to show he's a damn good coach after 4 years and if he hasn't after his fifth next year he never will be more than just a good bloke.
I'll tell you in 2 or 3 weeks.

Bring back the Lockett era
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Love him or not, he'll be our coach until at least the end of 2020. Get around him. BTW, he now has a new nickname. Alan "blossoms" Richardson! :)

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
Stian
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:So Richo speaks the same way he does in the media as he does to the players behind closed doors?

Are people serious?
No he doesn't !! I think that is the point that some here are trying to make. We have seen some Saints Unplugged videos and some candid videos of AR welcoming new recruits by phone and lots of other stuff that has come up here and there on the club website. I just get the feeling from all of that that he is the sort of bloke who would get an enormous amount of respect, loyalty and warmth from his players. They would do almost anything to earn his praise.

Now - compare that with somebody like Malthouse. Hmmmmmm ???

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Stian wrote:
SaintPav wrote:So Richo speaks the same way he does in the media as he does to the players behind closed doors?

Are people serious?
No he doesn't !! I think that is the point that some here are trying to make. We have seen some Saints Unplugged videos and some candid videos of AR welcoming new recruits by phone and lots of other stuff that has come up here and there on the club website. I just get the feeling from all of that that he is the sort of bloke who would get an enormous amount of respect, loyalty and warmth from his players. They would do almost anything to earn his praise.

Now - compare that with somebody like Malthouse. Hmmmmmm ???

Well said. That's what I was saying too. :D

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hello Blossoms

Posting 20 years of holey crap!