Armitage up for trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Armitage up for trade

I mentioned awhile ago Armitage is now a player type we have too many of who are younger with bigger upside.
Media sources say the Saints are up to trading him as his contract is back ended heavily for next year and will cost us some big $$.
I'm not sure how much currency he has but it seems we may prefer him off our books.
AR did say we will be aggressive in trading.
What do you think we could get for him and which team would bite?
Last edited by Vazelos on Tue 12 Sep 2017 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Re: Arnitage up for trade

Given that he appears to be suffering from a chronic groin injury, will not start pre-season ready to do a full load, hasn't shown his best form since 2015 and turns 30 next year - bugger all.

Vazelos
Club Player

He has 2 years left on his contract that won't be easy to get rid of him.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

He's worth nothing to any other club in his current condition. He's been a good player for us and we'll just have to do our best to get him right. Really felt for him when after slogging through surgery and an extended wait he was sore again pretty much straight away. The club hasn't said so but it does sound like chronic OP.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I think we still need Armitage. Looking at our list we are generally quite young. The only other older guys on the list are Gilbert, N. Brown and Geary. Even then, they're in their late 20's except for Gilbert.

ATM, as inside mids go I would have to say Dunstan, Steele and Stevens are ahead of Armitage. I don't think all 4 can play in the same side each week too. Way too similar players.

We probably need Armitage for his expierence more than anything. The club needs an older head around after Montagna, Riewoldt and Dempster have now departed the fix.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
To the top
SS Life Member

The agenda should be returning him to full fitness because fully fit he is an automatic selection

I do not know why some on here want to trade our skilled players

We should be about adding to compliment the likes of Armitage not trading out because we have others who may fill the void

The void left by the injury to Arnitage was never filled, hence our season

And I will lay it on the line by saying Stevens will never be at the Armitage level and Steele is doubtful

Both Stevens and Steele handball and tackle by their statistics

What is missing?

And that is where Arnitage has it all over them

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Whilst I don't rate Armo as highly as most on here, his presence on field is clearly worth something to this group.

There were many instances this year (Ess, Melb, Port to name a few) where we were completely outplayed for an extended period but weren't out of the match and our players just didn't seem capable of taking it to the opposition...

Armo fears no man and will take anyone on. We certainly missed his endeavour this year.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The agenda should be returning him to full fitness because fully fit he is an automatic selection

We should be about adding to compliment the likes of Armitage not trading out because we have others who may fill the void

And I will lay it on the line by saying Stevens will never be at the Armitage level and Steele is doubtful

What is missing?

1+

He's a very good player. With him missing for pretty much the entire season could have been the difference of not finishing in the eight.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
The_President
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
To the top wrote:The agenda should be returning him to full fitness because fully fit he is an automatic selection

What is missing?

1+

He's a very good player. With him missing for pretty much the entire season could have been the difference of not finishing in the eight.

Completely disagree.

Steele didn't have a preseason and was one of the best tacklers in the comp. Will only get better.

Armo has had one really good year, the rest have been so-so.

Send him up to the Gold Coast, they will over pay to get a mature, midfield bull to protect their young guys... Even if he will only play a handful of games.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

What is missing?

1+

Completely disagree.

Steele didn't have a preseason and was one of the best tacklers in the comp. Will only get better.

Send him up to the Gold Coast, they will over pay to get a mature, midfield bull to protect their young guys... Even if he will only play a handful of games.
We can agree to disagree on this one. Just imagine Armitage and Steele playing together this year. Davey the Tank would have only added to the midfield which wouldn't have lacked much toughness at all.

Will be interesting to see if he stays or goes. If he stays, he'll be a very handy player to have at our disposal.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

More value as a small defensive forward rotating through the midfield than on the trade table IMHO

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

What is missing?

1+

Completely disagree.

Yep Steele is one of the best tacklers but apparently he needs to 'bulk up' because that's what the Lions did from 2001-2003

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vazelos
Club Player

The_President wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

What is missing?

1+

Completely disagree.

Spot on Steele with no pre season is an elite contested mid fielder in the AFL at 21..
Arnitage at 30 with Dunstan finally showing some form and Koby Stevens we are covered in this area.
Arnitage is possible to be traded.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Fully fit Armo can perform the 'Mav Weller role' of defensive half forward better than Mav (IMHO).

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:Fully fit Armo can perform the 'Mav Weller role' of defensive half forward better than Mav (IMHO).
Assuming Weller can get fit and find something close to 2016, he is far better in the air than Armo, and because of that, demands more attention from his opponent, which is critical for that half forward role.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Fully fit Armo can perform the 'Mav Weller role' of defensive half forward better than Mav (IMHO).
I see this as his future role, if he stays. It was one area we were sadly lacking in. One of the major causes of Ninthmond's improvement was the pressure applied by its small forwards. Armo would be a huge upgrade on Lonie and Minchington and could be our new enforcer. They could use a bit of leadership up there now that Roo is gone. At times last year, our forward line looked more like the Woodstock festival than a functioning system.

If Hamill survives, we may as well give up. Honestly, we had no real structure, method or pressure up forward. McCartin regressed from promising signs in 2016 (even allowing for the shocking injury run), in that his marking confidence, his strength, deserted him and the fact that his team mates often ignored leads in favour of others. Seeing Paddy have to lead up to the wing to get a kick infuriated me. He's a deep forward, older style, lead and clunk type. There is still a place for that type in the modern game. If you're good enough. The forwards' coach has clearly demonstrated he is not up to it. Time for change.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Arno? Ah, no.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Armo's body is pretty shot. I'm not even sure if he'll ever even get back to playing AFL footy for more than 4 games in a row.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Bit rough when people still can't spell your name after ten years!!

MickThomas
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:Bit rough when people still can't spell your name after ten years!!
true, now you know why Jack Stevens gets mad :lol: :shock: :roll:

"Craig Davenport says hi"

this is my last edit, promise

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Re: Armitage up for trade

Armo was up for trade last year - no bites. I doubt a year later & with greater injury concerns any interest is there.

Stian
Club Player

Why are we talking about a trade - hasn't Armo been around long enough to be a free agent? Not sure about the rules on that question but if he is a FA then can't he go anywhere he likes without the need for a trade?

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Stian wrote:Why are we talking about a trade - hasn't Armo been around long enough to be a free agent? Not sure about the rules on that question but if he is a FA then can't he go anywhere he likes without the need for a trade?
Doesn't the fact he's contracted mean he's not a free agent? He's got two years left on his contract, I believe.

Stian
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
Stian wrote:Why are we talking about a trade - hasn't Armo been around long enough to be a free agent? Not sure about the rules on that question but if he is a FA then can't he go anywhere he likes without the need for a trade?
Doesn't the fact he's contracted mean he's not a free agent? He's got two years left on his contract, I believe.
Ahhh, well there you go. I said that I wasn't sure about the rules (oops). Thanks for setting me straight.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

No dramas, Stian. It was a valid question. The rules are often ambiguous. Sometimes clubs give a player an extra year so they can be traded rather than being lost to FA and RFA. We'd get bugger all compensation for Armo if we lost him to FA, so maybe it's part of Ameet's cunning plan, although I doubt it. I really can't seeing anyone biting, especially not after this year. He should end up being a one club player.