We should be shattered....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ss1986
Club Player

We should be shattered....

that Richmond are more than likely going to win the flag.... or go very bloody close to it.

It should burn to the core that a team could win the flag this year (and the last mind you - we beat the Dogs in Rd18), that we beat so comprehensively. I couldn't name a team that has ever made a GF after being 15 goals down in a half to a team that finished outside the 8.

If that isn't reason to be kicking extra balls at the two big sticks ALL offseason to make sure a) we win games we closely lost and b) cash in big on the games we won, then I don't know what is.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Re: We should be shattered....

Agreed, ss1986. I know I shouldn't have been bitter about last year but I was. It would be even worse to see a recent basket case like Ninthmond, race past us and snatch one. Everything aligned for the WB. Now the same can be said for the tiggers. They will make the GF. A week's rest, the home final they shouldn't have had, the soft side of the finals' draw and the GF on their home ground. After all the s*** luck we've had in GFs, if they win, I'll do a Terry Wallace and fair dinkum, "Spew up!"

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

ss1986 wrote:that Richmond are more than likely going to win the flag.... or go very bloody close to it.

It should burn to the core that a team could win the flag this year (and the last mind you - we beat the Dogs in Rd18), that we beat so comprehensively. I couldn't name a team that has ever made a GF after being 15 goals down in a half to a team that finished outside the 8.

If that isn't reason to be kicking extra balls at the two big sticks ALL offseason to make sure a) we win games we closely lost and b) cash in big on the games we won, then I don't know what is.

In all seriousness. The Tigers came out of nowhere this year. Did anyone pick them for the 8? I didn't. I thought they were just an ordinary side with an ordinary coach, game plan, admin, etc. Now they're probably favourite in a prelim.

Just shows that a few little twerks with some things can really reap dividends. The Saints could easily follow suit next year.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

We are the Charlie Brown's of the competition, ps. Those outrageous bits of good fortune seem to favour others, not us. Think about it. I've seen my saints in five GFs for zero wins. First there was Keddie's last quarter 4 goal blitz, after nearly being taken off before 3/4 time in 1971. In 1997, we lose Vidovic and Everitt at the death. Nicky's dad dies in GF week and Loewie's sister attempts suicide on the eve of the match, prompting Stan to consider pulling him out of the game. Adelaide kicks 14.1 in the second half and Shane Ellen (Yes Shane farking Ellen kicks five!).

2009 and the numerous misses, Schneider's non free kick in front of goal when scores were tied in the dying minutes, and of course, that toe poke. Then the Milney bounce in 2010, not forgetting Roo's rolling shot heading through before taking a final hop allowing Maxwell to touch it. Had it gone through it was game over. Beaten by drug cheating in the replay. Beaten by drug cheating the year before as well.

Sorry to trigger so many bad memories, but if something unlucky can happen to deny a flag, it'll happen to St.Kilda. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to run a warm bath. Keep the razors away, thanks.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Fair chance that the Tigers if they make the GF will get smashed by Sydney or the Crows!! Don't write off WC either. I have watched a lot of their games this year and they have that Jekyll and Hyde factor. They can beat GWS this week then roll the Tiggers then win the GF! Nothing is improbable i feel lol.

Greg, funny you mention Roo's almost goal in GF1 - if Maxwell misses it, we only go up by 5 pts with 8 minutes still to play. And also that would've changed history as the ensuing kick in from the behind led to BJ's hanger. So it wouldn't have happened lol

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm sensing an honourable loss coming up for the tiges in the prelim.

George27
Club Player

Greg - your Charlie Brown reference is absolutely spot on!

Another key one in 71 was the knee injury to John McIntosh. And the misses from right in front in the second semi ( we kicked 5.9 in the last quarter ). In 97 Pittman KOd someone and got one week only, so he could play in GF. Guerra in the goalsquare in 04. Bazza belting Goose in 05.

.. and don't even get me started on the 1913 debacle!

The only one we were not good enough to win was 65. It was a very weird day. First grand final for 52 years. We had finished top , dons were 4th. We nearly threw away the second semi , kicking 13.24 but just held off the Pies. The Dons were our bogey team that year. They beat us twice in home-and-away, and again in GF. They killed us in the 3rd quarter. That depressing second half made the win in 66 even sweeter.

But 13, 71, 97, 04, 05, 09, 10. All of them should have been ours.

Kind of depressing , really. Nevertheless, when Lucy holds that ball for me next year, and promises she will not pull it away at the last minute, again I will believe her.

Go Saints.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:We are the Charlie Brown's of the competition, ps. Those outrageous bits of good fortune seem to favour others, not us. Think about it. I've seen my saints in five GFs for zero wins. First there was Keddie's last quarter 4 goal blitz, after nearly being taken off before 3/4 time in 1971. In 1997, we lose Vidovic and Everitt at the death. Nicky's dad dies in GF week and Loewie's sister attempts suicide on the eve of the match, prompting Stan to consider pulling him out of the game. Adelaide kicks 14.1 in the second half and Shane Ellen (Yes Shane farking Ellen kicks five!).

2009 and the numerous misses, Schneider's non free kick in front of goal when scores were tied in the dying minutes, and of course, that toe poke. Then the Milney bounce in 2010, not forgetting Roo's rolling shot heading through before taking a final hop allowing Maxwell to touch it. Had it gone through it was game over. Beaten by drug cheating in the replay. Beaten by drug cheating the year before as well.

Sorry to trigger so many bad memories, but if something unlucky can happen to deny a flag, it'll happen to St.Kilda. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to run a warm bath. Keep the razors away, thanks.
Shane Ellen....arggghhh.

Still having nightmares.

I'm 80% certain that Richmond will not win the flag.

Both Adelaide and Swans will be incredibly hard to beat. So will West Coat and GWS for that matter.

The hype and expectation could get to them plus the week off has messed with their momentum.

Geelong were terrible

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Sorry to create the wrong impression, Stevie. You're right of course. The Roo snap preceded THAT mark and goal by BJ. What I meant was we were all over them at that point. Had Roo's shot rolled through, I reckon we would've gone on with it. Anyhow, in a game that tight, what shyte luck again to have a rolling ball like that bob up right on the line, hitting Maxwell's hands. I put it up there with the toe poke and the Milne bounce as bits of cruel luck that denied us.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

George27 wrote:Greg - your Charlie Brown reference is absolutely spot on!

Another key one in 71 was the knee injury to John McIntosh. And the misses from right in front in the second semi ( we kicked 5.9 in the last quarter ). In 97 Pittman KOd someone and got one week only, so he could play in GF. Guerra in the goalsquare in 04. Bazza belting Goose in 05.

.. and don't even get me started on the 1913 debacle!

The only one we were not good enough to win was 65. It was a very weird day. First grand final for 52 years. We had finished top , dons were 4th. We nearly threw away the second semi , kicking 13.24 but just held off the Pies. The Dons were our bogey team that year. They beat us twice in home-and-away, and again in GF. They killed us in the 3rd quarter. That depressing second half made the win in 66 even sweeter.

But 13, 71, 97, 04, 05, 09, 10. All of them should have been ours.

Kind of depressing , really. Nevertheless, when Lucy holds that ball for me next year, and promises she will not pull it away at the last minute, again I will believe her.
Go Saints.
Just like the rest of us, George27!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'm sensing an honourable loss coming up for the tiges in the prelim.
Think they'll probably make the grand final.

MickThomas
Club Player

stevie wrote:Fair chance that the Tigers if they make the GF will get smashed by Sydney or the Crows!! Don't write off WC either. I have watched a lot of their games this year and they have that Jekyll and Hyde factor. They can beat GWS this week then roll the Tiggers then win the GF! Nothing is improbable i feel lol.

Greg, funny you mention Roo's almost goal in GF1 - if Maxwell misses it, we only go up by 5 pts with 8 minutes still to play. And also that would've changed history as the ensuing kick in from the behind led to BJ's hanger. So it wouldn't have happened lol
Swines and Crows will beat Ninthmond every day of the week..
The respective coaches know more about preparation than Softwick
and in GF week, Tigers will be lapping it up all over Church St, Bridge Rd, Victoria St,
as if they've already won.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Richmond will be premiers. Put your house on it!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

This should cheer you up Greg.

Boothebly, what a champion.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Sorry to create the wrong impression, Stevie. You're right of course. The Roo snap preceded THAT mark and goal by BJ. What I meant was we were all over them at that point. Had Roo's shot rolled through, I reckon we would've gone on with it. Anyhow, in a game that tight, what shyte luck again to have a rolling ball like that bob up right on the line, hitting Maxwell's hands. I put it up there with the toe poke and the Milne bounce as bits of cruel luck that denied us.
all good bro. If we had've been able to get another quick goal after BJ's to go 11 pts, i reckon we mighta stormed home. I still have agony over seeing Chips bomb the ball wildly along the wing where it was marked by maxwell and that lead directly to Cloke's go ahead goal. If Chips takes the time to look to the centre of the ground, poor old Kosi - who had just come off i/c i think - is waving a forlorn arm in hope. He gets it then its an open passage to the fwd line, possible even a long goal! Thats puts us 11 pts up with about 4 minutes left i think.

Heartbreaking. I recall noticing it the following days after the draw and watching it endlessly hoping somehow it would change. sigh

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Thanks. I'd forgotten about Kosi waving on his own in the middle. The kick went down the line, as per instructions no doubt. The moment for flair was there. I agree with you. I reckon from where Kosi was, he might have even nailed a long one. Sigh!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Let's not mention the toe poke the year before. If that ball punched by Zac went over Scarlett we had 4 players free running towards goal. It would have been a certain goal.

SMS
Club Player

is what it is. You better make peace with it because IMO the Tigers have already won it.
Fully fit and firing, playing for each other and only have to win 2 games against interstate teams at the G their home ground. Its a done deal. Bloody amazing ey.

Weve been better than them for 27 years, played in 3 grand final series, won night premierships, 2 mclellands, brownlows just about everything while theyve been the worst sporting team in australian sport.
Now they get a flag? its bulls***. Flags are being a good side with luck going your way in september. Mclellands are the best team of the year.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote:
stevie wrote:Fair chance that the Tigers if they make the GF will get smashed by Sydney or the Crows!! Don't write off WC either. I have watched a lot of their games this year and they have that Jekyll and Hyde factor. They can beat GWS this week then roll the Tiggers then win the GF! Nothing is improbable i feel lol.

Swines and Crows will beat Ninthmond every day of the week..
The respective coaches know more about preparation than Softwick
and in GF week, Tigers will be lapping it up all over Church St, Bridge Rd, Victoria St,
as if they've already won.
They way they were carrying on last week I think they thought they had just won it. Two more games to go morons!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
To the top
SS Life Member

In the first week of the Finals Richmond comprehensively beat Geelong who are nothing more and nothing less than home deck bullies

Geelong are ordinary

When the whips are cracking and they come up against either Adelaide or Sydney we will see what happens next

They do have the benefit of being on the other half of the draw from Adelaide and Sydney - and GWS having injuries at the wrong time of the year

But don't be seduced by a media looking to sell its product into an increased marketplace courtesy of the Richmond supporter base

The draw during the season needs to be considered also with the dream draw Essendon were gifted coming to the only conclusion it was ever going to come too

The draw the AFL gave them for the reasons they did got them to where they got to and was their undoing

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

If when you say "we" you are referring to the players and not the supporters, then I agree 100% with you.

The season ended for we supporters, so I'm through with feeling the burn and pain of St.Kilda's failures for the meantime. Although, if we don't land this Kelly trade, I'll be mighty pissed off.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:If when you say "we" you are referring to the players and not the supporters, then I agree 100% with you.

The season ended for we supporters, so I'm through with feeling the burn and pain of St.Kilda's failures for the meantime. Although, if we don't land this Kelly trade, I'll be mighty pissed off.
Brace yourself good buddy! Kelly will be remaining at GWS.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:If when you say "we" you are referring to the players and not the supporters, then I agree 100% with you.

Brace yourself good buddy! Kelly will be remaining at GWS.
I refuse to believe this until there is an official announcement that he's not leaving GWS.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

If he was staying they would've announced it by now, Dusty style. He's leaving, only a matter of where to.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Richmond will be premiers. Put your house on it!
Richmond winning a premiership this year would surely be one of the first signs of the Apocalypse, wouldn't it?

For my 2 cents, they're unlikely to make it through a prelim, not a chance if they make a GF...I can't see how they've made it this far!