If worst comes to worst

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: If worst comes to worst

mad saint guy wrote:I would definitely be offering pick 7 for Gaff while trying to sign Trengove, Rockliff and either Matera or Motlop as free agents if we can't land Kelly. We would add an elite inside mid, elite outside mid, a more talented/versatile/younger alternative to Brown and a more talented small forward than any of our current fringe options. All at the cost of one first round draft pick and some cap space that we desperately need to fill anyway.

B: Geary, Trengove, Webster
HB: Roberton, Carlisle, Savage
C: Gaff, Rockliff, Sinclair
HF: Billings, Bruce, Gresham
F: Membrey, McCartin, Matera

Foll: Longer, Steven, Ross
Int: Acres, Newnes, Dunstan, Steele

Fringe: Gilbert, Brown, Hickey, Stevens, Armitage, Weller, Freeman, Marshall, White, Goddard, McKenzie

That side is balanced, has enough stars and enough depth to be a lock for finals.
Really like this post...
Then in the draft we aim for another quality mid, and search for a developing back and maybe a duck down the line

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Yeah, lets pay one million for 'intelligence' that will be obsolete in 3 minutes.

Brilliant Con.

Any other cool ideas?
Who said $1 million?

A little birdy in your head? Your neigbour? The refrigerator talking again? The guinea pig?

I stand by what I said.

We should have a well resourced recruitment team that uses outside intelligence. Just relying on Tony Elshaugh's 'gut feel' after he goes around to some kids house and interviews their family is f****** idiotic.

I did not mention $1 million.

But $50,000 or so on getting some serious external intelligence and analysis might be helpful.

What are your ideas?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The Saints should have a big enough team in place to get pick 7 and 8 right. They have been watching these kids all year (maybe 2). They would already seek outside advice that is basically free. E.g. coaches of u/18 and state sides and that u/18 guru bloke off Channel 9 (forgot his name sorry)

We do after all have Ameet 'The Operator' Bains in place.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
kalsaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Yeah, lets pay one million for 'intelligence' that will be obsolete in 3 minutes.

Brilliant Con.

Any other cool ideas?
Who said $1 million?

A little birdy in your head? Your neigbour? The refrigerator talking again? The guinea pig?

I stand by what I said.

We should have a well resourced recruitment team that uses outside intelligence. Just relying on Tony Elshaugh's 'gut feel' after he goes around to some kids house and interviews their family is f****** idiotic.

But $50,000 or so on getting some serious external intelligence and analysis might be helpful.

What are your ideas?
I thought we had talent scouts in major cities to provide some insight. Carlton got Cripps from there. There is always opportunity in leagues around the country for potential. If not I like a swapped pick for Gaff or Stringer if this could be done as a preference an early second round pick pending a first round swap for early and late second rounders. The later second rounder could help plans to secure others.
I don't know how Freeman is going to evolve next year or Paddy for that matter so we need another outside option. Its going to be tough to get anything we want given the trades of recent years and the extra money floating around.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Just ring Callum Twomey or Paige Cardona on the eve of the draft. Save a million and they have a just as good, if not better strike rate than our "expert team".

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Brilliant Con.

Any other cool ideas?
Who said $1 million?

I stand by what I said.

What are your ideas?
You mentioned it last week. Can't be arsed looking for the post.

I think you're exaggerating about the club's recruitment process.

We need new recruiting and coaching personnel. Some of these guys have been there too long and haven't achieved that much.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The_President
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Brilliant Con.

Any other cool ideas?
Who said $1 million?

I stand by what I said.

What are your ideas?

We need new recruiting and coaching personnel. Some of these guys have been there too long and haven't achieved that much.
You did mention $1 million in another post.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Brilliant Con.

Any other cool ideas?
Who said $1 million?

I stand by what I said.

What are your ideas?

You did mention $1 million in another post.
A million over ten years on recruitment and draft analysis and expertise seems reasonable given how important it is.

It doesn't matter how many of you attempt to gang up on me and misquote me. I'll still be right.