lonie considering other clubs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: lonie considering other clubs

If GWS are interested that would be ideal. Pick 7, our 2018 1st round pick and Lonie for Kelly and a 2nd/3rd round pick would be a great outcome.

MickThomas
Club Player

Who can forget that around the corner kick that hit a Tiger in the belly.
How close was the dwarf to the goals? He was on the Right Side and he's a leftie, why do the StevieJ?

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Giving Lonie a one year contact is admitting we have no clue how to draft decent players outside the top ten.

Lonie will get delisted surely at the end of 2018. Good clubs don't hold onto players like him for four years in total who show nothing. But good clubs DO pick up players that can play in the draft that aren't first or early second round picks on a semi regular basis.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Junior
Club Player

[quote="saintspremiers"]Giving Lonie a one year contact is admitting we have no clue how to draft decent players outside the top ten.

Lonie will get delisted surely at the end of 2018. Good clubs don't hold onto players like him for four years in total who show nothing. But good clubs DO pick up players that can play in the draft that aren't first or early second round picks on a semi regular

I think the following players have been good pick ups, am considering Seb a middle second round selection.

Jack Steven
Seb Ross
Leigh Montagna
Jarryn Geary
Jack Newnes
Jimmy Webster
Jack Sinclair

Rowan Marshall and Brandon White also look alright.

I would actually say our first round and early second rounds are the issue as they have not come on.

Dunstan appeared to have gone backwards until late in the season
Acres talent to burn but can't string any consistency together
Long has shown little
Goddard always injured and had gone backwards before injury
McCartin always injured
McKenzie hone backwards and looks like a dear caught in the headlights at AFL level

You just have to get these pick right and then get the odd player in the later rounds come through, as it stands on exposed form there is no guarantee that any of these players will be regular players let alone stars.

Not a Lonie fan and would not offer him a contract but maybe the club is thinking ahead and planning their list after all we have to make three changes every season.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not saying Lonnie is going to make it but people around here very quick to write off players.

Need to get game time into guys like McKenzie and Long. The quicker we can them to 50 games the better.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

If you read the article it basically says he was offered one year by us and is looking to see if he can get a longer one elsewhere. He won't be but he may be added to any deal done with GWS so hopefully we can see the back of him. Best case scenario he trains his arse off pre season and become capable up forward but most likely he is a list clogger next year and is then delisted

spert
Saintsational Legend

I can't knock his effort at the contest- better than some in the seniors this season, but hasn't got the tricks a small needs, especially around goals.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

bigred wrote:persevering with players like this is why we will never win a flag.
well, maybe or maybe not persevering with players like Lynch is why we will never win a flag.
Or maybe we will win a flag!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Whether Lonie stays or goes lets treat the kid with respect. There is no point in bagging him on the way out.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
MickThomas
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:If you read the article it basically says he was offered one year by us and is looking to see if he can get a longer one elsewhere. He won't be but he may be added to any deal done with GWS so hopefully we can see the back of him. Best case scenario he trains his arse off pre season and become capable up forward but most likely he is a list clogger next year and is then delisted
He gets high numbers in the Zebs, why can't he take that or similar form into the seniors?
Presume he's fit enough and has correct judgement to assess the play and know how to rack up possessions,
so pre-season training?
What improvements can that bring?
He needs Peta Searle (Dev Coach) or another Dev Coach, or Dr Emma the shrink (helped Dunny)
to get inside his head.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Whether Lonie stays or goes lets treat the kid with respect. There is no point in bagging him on the way out.
Well said!

Jack Lonie has done nothing to merit some of the KRUD he has to cop from this forum, other than to "fall short of the expectations of some supporters"

Give the kid a break.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Whether Lonie stays or goes lets treat the kid with respect. There is no point in bagging him on the way out.
Well said!

Jack Lonie has done nothing to merit some of the KRUD he has to cop from this forum, other than to "fall short of the expectations of some supporters"

Give the kid a break.
I don't get the personal abuse. He obviously tries his guts out like all the players do. I don't think any of us would know him from a bar of soap on a personal level also so its unfair.

If he's not up to it talent and ability wise and he gets delisted then so be it. Thats AFL footy. Lets just wish him well on his footy career or whatever he does. The kid is still a very young human being that sacrified his life to get drafted basically.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Well said!

Give the kid a break.
I don't get the personal abuse. He obviously tries his guts out like all the players do. I don't think any of us would know him from a bar of soap on a personal level also so its unfair.

If he's not up to it talent and ability wise and he gets delisted then so be it. Thats AFL footy. Lets just wish him well on his footy career or whatever he does. The kid is still a very young human being that sacrified his life to get drafted basically.
Again, mate I agree with you 100%

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
silverhalo
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Well said!

Give the kid a break.

Well said

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

silverhalo wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Well said!

Give the kid a break.

Well said
Like.
Like.
Like,
And Like again.

Always loyal
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Has he gone yet.. :lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever have a quality midfield ?
evo
Club Player

Minchington is way better than Lonie. My opinion only.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

MickThomas wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:If you read the article it basically says he was offered one year by us and is looking to see if he can get a longer one elsewhere. He won't be but he may be added to any deal done with GWS so hopefully we can see the back of him. Best case scenario he trains his arse off pre season and become capable up forward but most likely he is a list clogger next year and is then delisted
He gets high numbers in the Zebs, why can't he take that or similar form into the seniors?
Presume he's fit enough and has correct judgement to assess the play and know how to rack up possessions,
so pre-season training?
What improvements can that bring?
He needs Peta Searle (Dev Coach) or another Dev Coach, or Dr Emma the shrink (helped Dunny)
to get inside his head.
I am hoping they teach him to tackle or put some bulk on his frame. How many times this year did he just get pushed aside as if he wasn't there. Again this is the only reason I can think of to be offered another year. I don't think he will make it personally as he just isn't afl quality or we can't bring it out in him. In all honesty do you think he has what it takes to play at the top level?

StPeter
Club Player

I hope some other club picks him up. I wouldn't like to see him take up a place for another year.

Will never make it in my opinion.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He's actually a very ordinary VFL player. Gets plenty of it, does nothing with it!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Not saying Lonnie is going to make it but people around here very quick to write off players.

Need to get game time into guys like McKenzie and Long. The quicker we can them to 50 games the better.
Like the way you think :wink:

saints66
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Not saying Lonnie is going to make it but people around here very quick to write off players.

and how do we do that if we constantly play players who are lacking. There is only 22 players!

The Recruit
Club Player

He will be pushed out as our list improves

As I said he need to take the 1yr work hard and get better.

Just ask Roberton...now look at him

AFL footy is a very hard profession and only a minorty make it.
He will either step u and start kicking goals or just end up as another player who had a few good games and is now playing country footy..

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:

and how do we do that if we constantly play players who are lacking. There is only 22 players!
If they earn a spot, they play.

Simple

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Minchington is way better than Lonie. My opinion only.
A few of us agree with you. Meatball is a betterr player and I reckon Meatball has more upside