Favourite Roo memory

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Favourite Roo memory

Now that the great man has retired I thought it appropriate that we try and recall our all time favourite Roo memories either on or off the ground.

I have three. One of them is quite obscure. I recall the game but I struggle to remember the year or the round. I remember it was Etihad against Nth Melb. I think it was in 09 but I can't be sure. What I do remember is that Roo had gastro and wasn't meant to play. As legend would have it, the doctor allegedly gave him an injection so that he wouldn't get the runs out on the ground. He went out and kicked a bag and was BOG. I think it was either 6 or 7 goals. All of us have had gastro before and know how debilitating it can be. If you have it it's an effort to just get off the couch let alone play 100 minutes of high level football, let alone dominate that game. It really said amazing things about the mental strength of the man.

The 2nd memory is off the ground. In 06 my eldest daughter who was 6 at the time was fortunate enough to be selected to take part in a promo with Roo. It was some $1 donation for that round of footy and I can't recall the cause being promoted. Anyway both my daughters were at Etihad and both got to meet Roo and interact with him. He couldn't have been more engaging and friendly with them. They LOVED him. And then his pop star girlfriend rolled up and they raced over to speak with her (I can't remember her name) They had photos together all 4 of them. It just made their day. THat week we played the Crows at Etihad and I took my 6 yr old along to watch. Roo was brilliant and she has been sold on him ever since. She was awe struck that someone so famous could be so nice and so good at Footy.

My 3rd favourite memory was the 09 Qualifying final against the pies. Huge crowd, massive expectations and we had entered the finals series in poor form despite being 3-4 games clear on top of the ladder. Our first quarter had been very average and a few of us were quite nervous as to what the outcome would be. Then Roo, as he always did, exploded in the 2nd quarter dragging his team along with him. You could see the confidence return in everyone the more Roo dominated.

He truly was the barometer of the team. If Roo played well we rarely lost and that was never because he was a front runner, it was simply because he was that good.....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Favourite Roo memory

1. Kicking a goal off the ground against the Dogs to win us the 2009 Prelim.

2. SCG mark

3. 2009 Qualifying Final against the filth

4. 2010 Qualifying Final against Cats

5. 2010 Round 2 against Norf. 7 goals I think and a 103 point win. An amazing performance.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

All of the above and I'll add the mark he took at half back in GF 1. Without it we prolly don't get the draw, I dunno. What is especially 'odd' about it too, is that the cameras stay behind him when he kicks it long to where Lenny gathers to kick the tying point. It would be 'strange' to see that passage of play from the side in the 'normal' TV view

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Everything he did.

Nick will be missed. Its akin to losing a relative to going ten feet under.

Time for the next gen to step up now in his honour and their own.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

The last ten minutes of the 09 preliminary final. Single handedly dragged us over the line.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

All of the above and Round 23 of 2016 vs Brisbane.

9 goals is a mighty feat when done in the twilight of one's career. What an absolute legend of the game!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Destroying Collingwood in that final in 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrb5lKEIPqg

Worth the watch.

Go to the ten minute mark. Kicked that right in front of where we were sitting and it was just awesome. Never really gave a lot to the crowd ol' Roo, but he turned around and screamed at the crowd and we went just plain nuts.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Amazing how good our 09 team was. Imagine them in the finals in the present. Maybe Sydney would get within 6 or 7 in the GF but the rest no hope. Tragic we never got the perfect video to savour that year...

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Go to the ten minute mark. Kicked that right in front of where we were sitting and it was just awesome. Never really gave a lot to the crowd ol' Roo, but he turned around and screamed at the crowd and we went just plain nuts.
Yeah that 5th goal which was effectively the nail in the Filth's coffin was an absolute gem.

Our 2009 team was the most deserving team to win a flag, but only to be denied in GF, in the history of the game. Those darn football gods really screwed at the final hurdle :cry:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Can't remember the year, or even the circumstances, but it was a game against Melbourne at the MCG. Our team was either weak or depleted, but for some reason Roo played at full forward on a gloomy day, he kicked a big bag, perhaps 9-10 goals in a lone handed performance.

I only saw about 200 of his games, no idea why this one stuck in my memory.

stkmo
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:Can't remember the year, or even the circumstances, but it was a game against Melbourne at the MCG. Our team was either weak or depleted, but for some reason Roo played at full forward on a gloomy day, he kicked a big bag, perhaps 9-10 goals in a lone handed performance.

Last game of the year 2006 vs Melbourne.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

stkmo wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Can't remember the year, or even the circumstances, but it was a game against Melbourne at the MCG. Our team was either weak or depleted, but for some reason Roo played at full forward on a gloomy day, he kicked a big bag, perhaps 9-10 goals in a lone handed performance.

Was actually Round 15 of 2004. I recall it as I was at a pub with my mate who was a Sainter here on the GC. Game wasn't on telly and we were checking the scores and spewing we lost.

Ironically the final regular season game of 2006 was at the Gabba and I watched our boys win.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
stkmo wrote:

Was actually Round 15 of 2004. I recall it as I was at a pub with my mate who was a Sainter here on the GC. Game wasn't on telly and we were checking the scores and spewing we lost.

Ironically the final regular season game of 2006 was at the Gabba and I watched our boys win.
Correct.

We carried a few injuries into that game.

Aaron Hamill from memory had a fitness test right before the game. He ended up playing and played like he was injured.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure if it was the 2009 or 2010 prelim but the siren went and he was on the side lines and had a drink container in his hand. The siren went and he smashed that drink container into the turf. I remember feeling like I understood how much it meant to him just by that act. Weird I know, but it was prob the first time I had ever seen him be a bit irresponsible.... not that smashing a drink container into the turf is that bad.

Of course the time we were parking underneath etihad and he drove past and my daughter was standing there in her saints jumper, she was about 12, and he rolled down his window as he went past and gave her a thumbs up, I will never forget her face. She is 26 now

wolfpup
Club Player

I have too many but one that stands out is our prelim loss to Hawthorn in 2008 and Robert Harvey's last game.

Anyways, we were getting smashed, its the 3rd quarter down by like 70+ points. Roo was busting his gut the entire game, watched him super closely and finally understood how much that guy runs and runs and runs. Delivery to him was appalling as well. So entire team looks flat, getting onto around 15 minutes in the 3rd quarter and then Roo kicks i think 4 goals in 5 minutes, reducing the margin to something like 40 odd points which lifted the entire team and we got some momentum back.

We lost by 52 points i think and Hawks went on to win the GF. I always understood that Roo was a champion player but I finally 'got it', he had the ability to turn a game on its head with a never give up attitude.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:I'm not sure if it was the 2009 or 2010 prelim but the siren went and he was on the side lines and had a drink container in his hand. The siren went and he smashed that drink container into the turf. I remember feeling like I understood how much it meant to him just by that act. Weird I know, but it was prob the first time I had ever seen him be a bit irresponsible.... not that smashing a drink container into the turf is that bad.

Of course the time we were parking underneath etihad and he drove past and my daughter was standing there in her saints jumper, she was about 12, and he rolled down his window as he went past and gave her a thumbs up, I will never forget her face. She is 26 now

It was 2009 against the Dogs

123Saints
Club Player

So many but at the moment it's the fact that he helped the fans through his retirement by allowing the supporters to share in it - especially over the last 2 rounds.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
stkmo wrote:

Yeah remember that game well as it's the only time I have ever sat in the MCC members. Was 54k at the game as well which was quite large for these two clubs. I think the game was to decide top spot on the ladder. We were as flat as a tack and the only bright light was Roo. He was incredible. From memory he kicked 10 goals.

I was staggered at how quiet and sombre the MCC is. I recall my mate dropping the f-bomb during a normal conversation and the bloke in front wheeled around really quick and told us off and threatened to get security. It was a surreal experience the whole thing.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

May have just happened. :shock: :shock: :shock:

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:May have just happened. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Do tell??

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Round 14, 2009 - two undefeated teams with 13 wins. Nick took 11 marks, kicked 3 goals and got one BM vote (Michael Gardiner got 3 and Jimmy Bartel 2 votes). This was the highest class game I can remember for the Saints - perhaps ever. It was a game of skill and unrelentingly attack on the ball, not negativity (a criticism so often inaccurately levelled at Ross Lyon). Nick showed he was the best forward on the ground, and perhaps in the comp, on that glorious day.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

2001. Pre-season. Went to Bendigo ( I think) with my dad to watch a practice match. The old man stopped on the way to put fuel and water in the car and left the radiator cap off.
After the match we were 15 minutes down the road as and the car over heated. We stopped and stuck they the thumb out. I had a saints jumper on and this old bomb of an XD pulls up and who sticks his head out the window? None other than Nick Riewoldt with his mate Justin Koschitzke driving. Great kids. Talked all the way home. Roo said if it wasnt for the jumper they would have kept going. Dropped us off at dads home in Chelsea Heights and went on their way. Great memory.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:2001. Pre-season. Went to Bendigo ( I think) with my dad to watch a practice match. The old man stopped on the way to put fuel and water in the car and left the radiator cap off.
After the match we were 15 minutes down the road as and the car over heated. We stopped and stuck they the thumb out. I had a saints jumper on and this old bomb of an XD pulls up and who sticks his head out the window? None other than Nick Riewoldt with his mate Justin Koschitzke driving. Great kids. Talked all the way home. Roo said if it wasnt for the jumper they would have kept going. Dropped us off at dads home in Chelsea Heights and went on their way. Great memory.
Ha - ripper story. That's what I'm talking about.