Who Wants To Come To Us?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Who Wants To Come To Us?

Richo says he wants the club to go aggressively in the upcoming trade and draft.

We have two first round picks to barter with.

But which current superstar wants to come to us? The answer is (sadly) nobody.

We are not linked to anyone. I am sure we would love to get Josh Kelly but he is being strongly tipped to stay at GWS. And even if he were to move, Carlton are said to be ahead of us.

If Kelly re signs with the Giants on mega bucks they might have to ditch some talent. But we are talking talent nowhere near as good as Kelly or Martin who were the two bona fide out of contract, up for grabs superstars.

Lever, is very handy but strongly linked to Melbourne. Devon Smith is linked with Geelong.

Whitfield might be a possibility to come to us but he is contracted to the Giants until the end of next season. He is very, very good but not on par with Kelly.

We are simply not a destination club or a club of choice for big names. They prefer others over us. Just saying.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who Wants To Come To Us?

damienc wrote:Richo says he wants the club to go aggressively in the upcoming trade and draft.

We have two first round picks to barter with.

We are not linked to anyone. I am sure we would love to get Josh Kelly but he is being strongly tipped to stay at GWS. And even if he were to move, Carlton are said to be ahead of us.

If Kelly re signs with the Giants on mega bucks they might have to ditch some talent. But we are talking talent nowhere near as good as Kelly or Martin who were the two bona fide out of contract, up for grabs superstars.

Lever, is very handy but strongly linked to Melbourne. Devon Smith is linked with Geelong.

Whitfield might be a possibility to come to us but he is contracted to the Giants until the end of next season. He is very, very good but not on par with Kelly.

We are simply not a destination club or a club of choice for big names. They prefer others over us. Just saying.
Sad to say, that would appear to be fair comment.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sounds a bit dramatic.

Lets just wait and see.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
yipper
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:Sounds a bit dramatic.

Lets just wait and see.
Indeed - some posters really do seem to try and outdo each other for negativity!!!!

Just maybe.. our club is being run pretty well...just maybe they know exactly what they are doing!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think you're giving too much credence to the term "linked to".....

All "linked to" means is that someone in the media has said it. And everyone in the media has a bias and an agenda, either to get more readers/listeners, or to pump up the club they support, or to keep up theirs own myth as being a news breaker.

Have faith that we have the right guys looking after our list management, and look forward to a "pleasing" trade and draft period.

And if it all falls in a heap, then we can get the torches and pitchforks.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Maintain the rage, only 5 weeks til the trade period begins.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Previously I think being based at Seaford caused the problems you mentioned, but by the end of 2018 the club will be back at Moorabbin.

Richo is a well respected coach and the club is being run better than it ever has before. I think the perception that we are not a desirable club is well behind us.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I think most AFL footballers wouldn't care too much as to what club they played at to be honest (especially the battlers and b grade players). Most would be happy being on a list and living their dream. What a job and you get paid a minimum of 80k a year as a rookie I believe. If you're half decent then you get 200-400k a year. All just for playing and training for footy.

Still think plenty of players would like to come to the Saints. JK would be thinking a lot about it this year.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:

What a load of horseshit! How do you know this?

I'm tired of this naysayer crap on here. It now exudes the odour of catpiss. It is indulgent self-pitying crap.

Chin up, old boy. Spring has sprung. Time to smell the roses!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
damienc wrote:

I'm tired of this naysayer crap on here. It now exudes the odour of catpiss. It is indulgent self-pitying crap.

Agreed....there are some very negative posters and thoughts on this site regarding the Saints as a whole. I don't get why some bother particpating but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Oooooh! do I see a hint of " blue skies"? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by thejiggingsaint on Mon 04 Sep 2017 4:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
damienc wrote:

I don't agree with 98% of what's written on here but agree with your comment

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

ok ok you may have a point about forward projecting some positive hopes about the saints attracting a big fish, thats fine
but how about this
we have missed out on the big names so far this year and there have been some biggies
add that to the names we "have" actually gained recently in the past
Steele - happy to have him but he couldnt get a game and went to the highest bidder and hardly what you would call a big fish
Carlisle - happy to have him, but I remember this place absolutely went in to melt down when the drug scandal erupted - lost a year through supplements ban
Freeman
Koby Stevens 25yr and three clubs
Mav Weller ok he did want to get out of GCS
???

Seeya
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think the Saints should go after Tom Rockliff. They could keep their 1st 2 draft picks and still get an elite midfielder.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:ok ok you may have a point about forward projecting some positive hopes about the saints attracting a big fish, thats fine
but how about this
we have missed out on the big names so far this year and there have been some biggies
add that to the names we "have" actually gained recently in the past
Steele - happy to have him but he couldnt get a game and went to the highest bidder and hardly what you would call a big fish
Carlisle - happy to have him, but I remember this place absolutely went in to melt down when the drug scandal erupted - lost a year through supplements ban
Freeman
Koby Stevens 25yr and three clubs
Mav Weller ok he did want to get out of GCS
???
Is Josh Kelly no longer a big name?

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
bigred
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I think the Saints should go after Tom Rockliff. They could keep their 1st 2 draft picks and still get an elite midfielder.
I think they should too.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

bigred wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:I think the Saints should go after Tom Rockliff. They could keep their 1st 2 draft picks and still get an elite midfielder.
I think they should too.
Agreed. Should've got him last year when they wanted to offload him. The problem as I see it is not that players don't want to come to us, it's that the guns of the competition don't seem to want to move. Fyfe, Martin and now it's rumoured, Kelly, are all staying put. That means we have to look at second tier types, who may provide a bargain, or might end up as expensive list cloggers.

The colour of our money is as good as anyone's, and that's why most will change clubs, particularly those who are disgruntled or feel their careers are not going anywhere at their current clubs. By the looks of things, no one will be snaring that big fish this year. Hope they can pull a rabbit out of the hat, like Carlisle, who is potentially elite but was seen by some as damaged goods. A good snare. We need two more like that.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
damienc
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
damienc wrote:

Agreed....there are some very negative posters and thoughts on this site regarding the Saints as a whole. I don't get why some bother particpating but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

To both posters.

We, as in all of us, 'participate' to express an opinion. That was all I was doing. The forum doesn't exist, or at least I don't think it does, to be all jolly hockey sticks about the club.

Criticism where criticism is due. We have not had a great year. In fact it was bloody disappointing. And, to add insult to injury, it doesn't appear that we are a destination club for a superstar player.

If I am wrong. I will be the first to admit it. In fact I would love to be totally wrong.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Richo should shut his mouth.
Go aggressive at the trade table?
Feeling sick when Essendon beat Freo.
Really ?
What a cop out.
How about some aggression when it matters. On field against Melbourne a month ago.
That is when it counted.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We are putting in a strong case to challenge North as the most irrelevant club in Melbourne. Once a colourful entertaining club, now a snooze fest with a dwindling game day supporter base with no passion.

Bring back the Lockett era
David-Lee
Club Player

I think a lot of players would move for $.
Last edited by David-Lee on Mon 04 Sep 2017 11:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

A well skilled group of players and a good coach is what wins grand finals. I don't think we have many of the first and none of the second.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SMS
Club Player

J.Kelly and Gaff

whos saying they are NOT coming to us?

;)

J.Kelly - Pick 7, Lonie, Round 2 2018 (Hickey)
A.Gaff - 2018 Round 1, M.Weller

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Plenty of good players would like to be Saints. Seriously would you want a Dustin Martin - look at the media show, how Richmond were put behind him and his manager - selling announcement rights, for heavens sake. He will win the Brownlow, Richmond will go out in straight sets; every other club will work out how to tackle someone with a great fend and his salary cap will remain. Rance is the real Richmond super star. The only player worth the million $ tag is Buddy and then only if Sydney go top this year. That sort of money is crippling. Watch Sydney come back to the field when COL top up kicks in. We don't need too much more to make a quantum leap and the players to take us there are in the draft and a few clever trades as well as our injury list. And the current list. A smart manager would know that if one of his better players wanted to ride the Saints wave.

Winmar
Club Player

It's hard to see why someone like Kelly would come to us for footballing reasons when he's surrounded by such talent at GWS.

Still, we weren't much chop in the period when Gehrig, Hamill and Lawrence joined us either, but they could at least see the potential in the young players in the club at the time. It's hard to see the club landing anyone as good as the G Train any time soon, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.