Alan Richardson's contract in 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Alan Richardson's contract in 2018

Listening to the "muppet show" (AKA Morning Glory) on SEN, this morning, I heard the topic of whether Richo's contract should be renewed in 2018. The muppets thought that the club should "wait and see" how the season goes. Now on the surface, this seems more than reasonable, and there's not a lot that one can say in disagreement on this.

However, for goodness sake, do NOT let us repeat the farce that occurred in 2011! Make no mistake, these last six years of frustration can be traced directly back to the ham fisted manner in which the club approached contract negotiations with our former coach. As it's been said; "those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it"

Alan Richardson (in my humble opinion) will be doing everything in his power to get us into finals for 2018. It's time for some strength of character from the board and Richo's management in ensuring we do NOT repeat our sad history with appointing/ dismissing senior coaches!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Alan Richardson's contract in 2018

thejiggingsaint wrote:Listening to the "muppet show" (AKA Morning Glory) on SEN, this morning, I heard the topic of whether Richo's contract should be renewed in 2018. The muppets thought that the club should "wait and see" how the season goes. Now on the surface, this seems more than reasonable, and there's not a lot that one can say in disagreement on this.

However, for goodness sake, do NOT let us repeat the farce that occurred in 2011! Make no mistake, these last six years of frustration can be traced directly back to the ham fisted manner in which the club approached contract negotiations with our former coach. As it's been said; "those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it"

Alan Richardson (in my humble opinion) will be doing everything in his power to get us into finals for 2018. It's time for some strength of character from the board and Richo's management in ensuring we do NOT repeat our sad history with appointing/ dismissing senior coaches!
I would think sometime in the first half of next season would be the appropriate time to make a decision.

Another Lyon debacle would be unforgivable by the Club. As we stand, if Richo were available, Collingwood & Gold Coast would be having a good look.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

1. He is already contracted for 2018.
2. No other club would be interested.
3. 4 seasons. No finals. Winning % 37%.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 31 Jul 2017 10:31am, edited 3 times in total.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Also unforgivable to reappoint him early if we're uncertain and he turns out no good for where we're at. No rush.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I'm not so sure our handling of the Lyon affair was ham fisted.
Lyon and the Club both had the options in the contract. The club were obviously not 100% and stalled.
Lyon exercised his right, even though it was clandestine.
To be honest we needed a list rebuild and I can understand the club holding off to think it through.

Freo were c**k a hoop at the time. Thought they had done a number on us. Wonder if they still think so ?

As painful as it has been since I think it was probably for the better.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
spert
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:1. He is already contracted for 2018.
It's not a good result to put on the table for a coach in any negotiations.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I wonder where Richmond would be sitting right now, if their board had done what they've so often done over the past 40 years, and sacked Hardwick?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Listening to the "muppet show" (AKA Morning Glory) on SEN, this morning, I heard the topic of whether Richo's contract should be renewed in 2018. The muppets thought that the club should "wait and see" how the season goes. Now on the surface, this seems more than reasonable, and there's not a lot that one can say in disagreement on this.

I would think sometime in the first half of next season would be the appropriate time to make a decision.

Another Lyon debacle would be unforgivable by the Club. As we stand, if Richo were available, Collingwood & Gold Coast would be having a good look.
Have no problem with getting the contract sorted out at the front end of 2018. If reappointed/extended it would provide something we've rarely seen in our recent history. STABILITY going FORWARD!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Gold Coast would take a real good look at him.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

Have no problem with getting the contract sorted out at the front end of 2018. If reappointed/extended it would provide something we've rarely seen in our recent history. STABILITY going FORWARD!
Hear, hear.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Linton Lodger wrote:
Gold Coast would take a real good look at him.
Likewise his playing club.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:I wonder where Richmond would be sitting right now, if their board had done what they've so often done over the past 40 years, and sacked Hardwick?
Very good point Jiggster, no doubt rebuilding from the bottom up yet again. Our history in this regard is no better either.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'd be happy for us to wait until 2/3 of the way through next year to make the call re Richo.

I hope you listened to the Muppets prior to eating brekky. That SEN morning lineup is a joke.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

This is the folly of paying too much attention to basic stats. Richo inherited a list at ground zero just under 4 years ago.

Let's just look at his last 2 seasons and W/L rises to 52.5%

Here's some trivia, 43% was the win/loss ratio for which Coach in his first 4 years?

A: Mark Thompson.

Clarkson went at 32% in his first 2 seasons and 42% in his first 3 seasons. The three seasons that preceded a Premiership.

Such stats are meaningless in isolation and without context.

Junior
Club Player

I love the winning percentage argument.

Richo took over a list that was stuffed and a rebuild was under taken, hell some thought we would not win a game early in his tenure.

To me the question is have we been improving and can he improve us further.

Given what is has has at his disposal 37% is probably a reasonable result.

My personal view is that I would want to see how we track early next year.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:I love the winning percentage argument.

Richo took over a list that was stuffed and a rebuild was under taken, hell some thought we would not win a game early in his tenure.

To me the question is have we been improving and can he improve us further.

Given what is has has at his disposal 37% is probably a reasonable result.

My personal view is that I would want to see how we track early next year.
Yes but the thread is about 2019 and 2020.
No need to sign him yet.
Obviously we can wait 12 months.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
This is the folly of paying too much attention to basic stats. Richo inherited a list at ground zero just under 4 years ago.

Here's some trivia, 43% was the win/loss ratio for which Coach in his first 4 years?

Clarkson went at 32% in his first 2 seasons and 42% in his first 3 seasons. The three seasons that preceded a Premiership.

Agree.
So we should wait 12 months and get some more context.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:

Why d'you keep making sensible posts Linton? :wink: (and PLEASE other posters don't take umbrage!)

Darth Vader
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I wonder where Richmond would be sitting right now, if their board had done what they've so often done over the past 40 years, and sacked Hardwick?
Very good point Jiggster, no doubt rebuilding from the bottom up yet again. Our history in this regard is no better either.
4 coaches in last 16 seasons, 2 of which were the Watters stuff-up which we rightly corrected. Our coaching "instability" is overstated.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:
4 coaches in last 16 seasons, 2 of which were the Watters stuff-up which we rightly corrected. Our coaching "instability" is overstated.
Agree to disagree ( with all due respect to you colleague) the shambles' that have been Saints' coaching appointments/stuff ups can NEVER be "overstated" (IMHO)

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Im wondering HOW it works.. would Richo be allowed to 'rejig' his assistants?
I would be happy to see some movement prior to next season in that regard.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con, You're known to go early. Patience.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Con, You're known to go early. Patience.
Early. I am saying do nothing and wait.
Some others seem to be saying we should sign him up for 19 and 20 now.
Insanity.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm absolutely fine with them biding their time over contract extensions for Richo for the moment.

A few doubts have crept in regarding Richo's tenure lately, particularly after blowing a 10 point lead with less than two minutes left of a very low scoring game. To some degree, Richo needs to be held accountable for this.

Maybe he's too soft? Does he go under the "nice guys finish last" umbrella?

Time will tell.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I dont believe we need to be in any rush to resign Richo. Its not that we shouldnt but I would like to see how he goes revamping the football dept before he is resigned.