In the Know analysis of our defining 2017 draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

In the Know analysis of our defining 2017 draft

Spoke to an old mate who works for an AFL club as a recruiter.
He says this draft is extremely thin, outside the top 3 it's a lottery.
He also told me the statistics on nailing a 1st round selection over the years is pretty much one in 2 chance so history tells us if we went to the draft for our two picks one we would go bust on.
That's why we are going hard on Kelly and we are leading the race but the Blues are coming in hard with a late charge.
He knows some of our boys intimately as he interviewed them all and rated Brandon White as a prospect.
I wont divulge all comments he made on certain players but let's just say the main message I got from him is we are going to throw the sink at Kelly and he says he is worth every cent.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: In the Know analysis of our defining 2017 draft

IMO
Every year those who work in recruitment say the same thing.
This year's draft has a good top 5 but then gets a bit thin ,oh but next year's is shaping up as a super draft .
They did it last year

In red white and black from 73
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:IMO
This year's draft has a good top 5 but then gets a bit thin ,oh but next year's is shaping up as a super draft .
They did it last year
And the year before that

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
They did it last year
And the year before that
And the year before that

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:
They did it last year
And the year before that
And the year before that
And the year before that

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: but let's just say the main message I got from him is we are going to throw the sink at Kelly and he says he is worth every cent.

We need to as we lack genuine guns, and in particular we lack that where it is most important which is the midfield.

We have done a reasonable job at rebuilding the list, but in the process have so far failed to generate anyone truly elite. Also part of the plan was to put HUGE faith in landing a bigfish by FA or trade to complete the rebuild. Fyfe has re-signed, and Dusty most likely will too. Or Richmond can just select to match any bid offer. so the FA cupboard is quite bare, or at least bare of players than would complete us.

Well since that plan was drawn up all clubs have gotten smarter about retaining guns, or at least not letting them become Unrestricted FA's. So the importance of landing an elite player by trade is now critically important. And the way things have shaped up, Kelly is virtually the only player that may be available that perfectly suits our midfield requirements. Someone like Lever would be nice, but he is not a mid and a player such as Kelly is VITAL.

Draft pick wise the Hawks have recovered. 12th, or even higher, is where they will finish. Saints 7-10th. So with say picks 7 and 9 in this years draft young kids will most likely not be our salvation.

It may well be Kelly or bust I fear.

The club has been planning for years to land someone. End of season they now need to deliver or the plan will have faltered.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

But is Kelly enough for us to take the next step?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vazelos
Club Player

He would be a great start that's for sure..
We also need steady improvement from our young players and we need Mc Cartin to get going.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Agree that the continued development of our younger players should hold us in good stead however just get a nagging feeling that we may need another x-factor mid/forward along with Kelly to round us off - we also could also get caught down back soon with Brown getting older and question marks over the injury prone Goddard to fill that key back position

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Vazelos wrote:He would be a great start that's for sure..
We also need steady improvement from our young players and we need Mc Cartin to get going.
I know I sound like a broken record, but if Kelly's going to leave GWS and we want to remain in the box seat, we need to curb these thrashings quick smart, especially with away games in Sydney and Port around the corner.

Blues have lost the last four, so that should help our cause, but as he's playing for a team that will go deep into the finals, maybe even as far as the granny, he may be inclined to stay if his best Melbourne suiter is a team who seems ensconced at 9th spot.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Classic saints thread this one.
We aren't very good but we are seeking a Messiah who is going to solve all of our problems.

We can't draft because our recruiters are no better than dart board throwers so let's throw the kitchen sink at a known gun who is going to save our souls and our whole team.

How about we just invest more time, money and expertise in recruiting and drafting so we increase our overall hit rate?

Seems like the club is more interested in investing in its marketing and media department.

Anyone can come up with the strategy to go after Kelly. Everyone knows he is good. It is no secret. Lazy lazy lazy.

Why bother paying recruiting staff?
They are clearly useless.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 18 Jul 2017 6:53am, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:
They did it last year
And the year before that
And the year before that
And the year before that.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

They did it last year
Ok but that's what not Vazelos wrote...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:
They did it last year
And the year before that
And the year before that
And the year before that
And from our father's father

And from our father's fathers' fathers' father :roll:

SMS
Club Player

Everyone needs to chill a bit. We had a shocker friday night. BUT we have the youngsters coming through and I am positive it will click. Think about 2018/2019. Youll have McCartin, Battle, Long, Freeman, Goddard, Marshall coming though. Add J.Kelly. Acres will find his place. And Dunstan is highly rated and i think unfairly treated by fans. Hoping we snare whitfield on top of kelly to be honest.

Webster. Brown/Goddard. Geary
Roberton. Carlisle. White/Rice
Newnes. Ross. Sinclair
Billings. Bruce. Membrey
Lonie. McCartin. Gresham

Longer/Marshall. J.Kelly J.Steven

Steele. Acres. Dunstan. Long/Freeman/Battle

Vazelos
Club Player

Short term at least we are paying the price with Mc Cartin we all hope he comes good but Petracca was the best talent in that draft and we got spooked with the Boyd deal but now elite mid fielders are commanding those contracts so really we may have got a bit too cute with our strategy instead of picking the best talent available.
I agree with devilhead upfront an X factor is lacking...
Ben Long was picked for this reason but he is not getting near it enough to be that player at the moment.
My contact did comment other than the VFL GF he didnt have a history of getting a lot of possessions.
I did read he played as a half back too.
He doesn't rate Lonie at all and being out of contract he did himself no favours last week pulling out of contests when some hardness was needed.
He mentioned Rice will be a player but didn't interview well back then ( won't go into specifics) is a little flat footed which can make him a touch slow in decision making reactions but overall said he should take the step.
Rates Ameet Bains very highly and said we are doing well but Mc Cartin is the elephant in the room for the Saints and one or two more concussions and we may have blown it. He confirmed what we already know there really.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:Short term at least we are paying the price with Mc Cartin we all hope he comes good but Petracca was the best talent in that draft and we got spooked with the Boyd deal but now elite mid fielders are commanding those contracts so really we may have got a bit too cute with our strategy instead of picking the best talent available.
Ben Long was picked for this reason but he is not getting near it enough to be that player at the moment.
My contact did comment other than the VFL GF he didnt have a history of getting a lot of possessions.
He doesn't rate Lonie at all and being out of contract he did himself no favours last week pulling out of contests when some hardness was needed.
He mentioned Rice will be a player but didn't interview well back then ( won't go into specifics) is a little flat footed which can make him a touch slow in decision making reactions but overall said he should take the step.
Rates Ameet Bains very highly and said we are doing well but Mc Cartin is the elephant in the room for the Saints and one or two more concussions and we may have blown it. He confirmed what we already know there really.
Some interesting stuff there.
The interview stuff doesnt really worry me when the kids are 17. So hopefully Rice comes on soon.

Vazelos
Club Player

Outof respect to current players I wont go into specifics but you can only find out so much in interviews.
My gut feel is Bailey Rice and Brandon White will make it....
Rowan Marshall will make it too...
Lonie, Wright and Minchington I dont think will get new contracts when they are up for renewal...
I cant believe Lewis has 2 more years left as he has gone backwards...

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if "we" blew it with McCartin - the club isn't letting him get concussions.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:Short term at least we are paying the price with Mc Cartin we all hope he comes good but Petracca was the best talent in that draft and we got spooked with the Boyd deal but now elite mid fielders are commanding those contracts so really we may have got a bit too cute with our strategy instead of picking the best talent available.
Scary isnt it that our No 1 pick may become nothing but a liability. What were the recruiters thinking?

Typical Saints response on Long - see him play 1 blinder and over rate him on that.

Elshaugh has had more misses than hits in recent times...

Saint_J
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:Spoke to an old mate who works for an AFL club as a recruiter.
He says this draft is extremely thin, outside the top 3 it's a lottery.
He also told me the statistics on nailing a 1st round selection over the years is pretty much one in 2 chance so history tells us if we went to the draft for our two picks one we would go bust on.
That's why we are going hard on Kelly and we are leading the race but the Blues are coming in hard with a late charge.
He knows some of our boys intimately as he interviewed them all and rated Brandon White as a prospect.
I wont divulge all comments he made on certain players but let's just say the main message I got from him is we are going to throw the sink at Kelly and he says he is worth every cent.
always our luck we get a good position and it's a thin draft :lol:

the dawks are doing there best to make even worse for us atm as ewell.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I have had a real concern about our Recruiters for several years now.

I understand that picking future stars is not easy, but we have none in the making, which is what you need for GF's. Most are deplorable kicks under pressure, most are mid-size, few have any great speed.

These traits are clearly evident, particularly the kicking skills, yet over "ÿears," we have fallen far short in this area (Savage the best get for kicking).

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Classic saints thread this one.
We aren't very good but we are seeking a Messiah who is going to solve all of our problems.

We can't draft because our recruiters are no better than dart board throwers so let's throw the kitchen sink at a known gun who is going to save our souls and our whole team.

How about we just invest more time, money and expertise in recruiting and drafting so we increase our overall hit rate?

Seems like the club is more interested in investing in its marketing and media department.

Anyone can come up with the strategy to go after Kelly. Everyone knows he is good. It is no secret. Lazy lazy lazy.

To be honest Con, I have little faith in our recruiters at the moment.

Wasn't the 2014 draft supposed to be one of, if not THE defining draft of our rebuild? Now that Paddy and Hugh are really struggling with injury, that draft could very well become an epic fail. Hope to be proven wrong though.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
sainters85
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Classic saints thread this one.

To be honest Con, I have little faith in our recruiters at the moment.

Wasn't the 2014 draft supposed to be one of, if not THE defining draft of our rebuild? Now that Paddy and Hugh are really struggling with injury, that draft could very well become an epic fail. Hope to be proven wrong though.
hughey will be a great player for us if he can get over his injuries. Could probably play as a key forward. Paddy I'm not so sure given his injuries are head-related. What about the 2013 draft? Billings can be very good but can also be non-existent. On the other hand, you got acres and dunstan playing in the 2s

sainters85
Club Player

its fair to say our recruiting has been shithouse compared to the blues and dees. Need to hire better recruiters or we'll end up like how North Melbourne has been in recent years