Why do we keep getting thrashed?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why do we keep getting thrashed?

thejiggingsaint wrote:Maybe, it's me, but I'm of the opinion that this season, we've not had any floggings on the scale of last season (100 points at West Coast, 88 at Port Adelaide) In the context of a VERY open comp in 2017, our losses are about par for the course.
So you're saying we are not mortally wounded right? In your eyes it's just a 'flesh wound' :lol: :lol:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Errrrrrrrrr? ......... Well?....... YES!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

So we're still a contender?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

If we are to lose the next two games, I hope we at least go down swinging. WW has definitely brought up a valid area of concern. Heavy losses never look good, nor do they do the percentage any good. Our low percentage could really come back to haunt us by the end of the home and away season.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote:So we're still a contender?

Most teams still are this season, anything is possible at this stage!!!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

When we got thrashed by the Bulldogs - they were last year's Premier so fair enough. Dont worry.
Thrashed by Swans - last year's Grand finalist! Top side. Dont worry.
Thrashed by the Crows - top side! Dont worry.
Scrape over Blues. They are 16th but really they are a great side! Dont worry.
Thrashed by Bombers. They are a great side playing incredible footy! Dont worry.

Meet the Saints new Media Manager. Most important job at the club.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I hate it when you're on this war path Con,

I don't think anybody has ever said losing those games in that manner was ok or not a cause for concern. Heck this site goes into melt down post every loss

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I hate it when you're on this war path Con,

I don't think anybody has ever said losing those games in that manner was ok or not a cause for concern. Heck this site goes into melt down post every loss
+1

You'd think with our history of losing we would have learnt to treat it with some humility, wouldn't you?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Maybe, it's me, but I'm of the opinion that this season, we've not had any floggings on the scale of last season (100 points at West Coast, 88 at Port Adelaide) In the context of a VERY open comp in 2017, our losses are about par for the course.
Wow.

So your comfortable with an average losing margin of 42 points?

Only one of our losses (WCE) we have been competitive?

Nup, not me.

Sure, I don't expect every loss to be small ones, but I DO expect more than one out of seven.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

Con is the Eeyore of the forum!

thefatdork
Club Player

Hi All,
i always try look to the positives when we lose but I've been troubled about how we lose so badly.
I can't help thinking that this is a coaching issue - we seem to be unable to implement game plan change when we are being badly beaten and end up getting really flogged.
The game against the Bombers epitomised this for me - we continually bombed it into forward 50 when the bombers had numbers back and then they easily cleared it to their runners. Surely the plan needs to change - perhaps hold possession of the ball and show some patience rather than bomb it in and hope that we'll get on the end of it. At least if we have possession, then the opposition doesn't - but we need to be able to also hang on to the ball and stop turning it over cheaply. Our skills are problematic.
I like Richo as a coach but he seems to be at a loss to stem the tide when things are going badly. I think genuinely good sides are usually able to do this - they generally don't get smashed each loss.
I know we are a young side and I'm sure having experienced players have a role in this too - we've got that experience in Gears, Rooney, Joey, etc. - but the coaching needs to have plans and be able to implement changes in these circumstances.
I hate losing but i REALLY hate capitulating in the way we do - it's not only embarrassing but is also such a huge let-down and deflates the spirit. We must do better than this if we are to become a good side.
Anyway, back to positive thinking and let's hope we can show Sydney up.
GO SAINTS,
TFD

freely
SS Hall of Fame

lefty
Club Player

Great topic, and yes its very very frustrating.

I mean, that Adelaide game was definitely coaching that caused it. We had flooded in the first quarter and never looked like even wanting to win.

The Essendon game, the only change I saw was Carlisle move up forward, and honestly if it wasn't for him, we would of lost by 100. Continuously bombing the ball into the forward line doesn't work, when...

1. Roo can't jump and mark like he use to
2. Bruce can't seem to take a mark or pack grab anymore
3. We lost our only dangerous forward in Membrey
4. Can't rely on Battle in his first game

Essendon no doubt at all, had the better game plan.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:When we got thrashed by the Bulldogs - they were last year's Premier so fair enough. Dont worry.
Thrashed by Swans - last year's Grand finalist! Top side. Dont worry.
Thrashed by the Crows - top side! Dont worry.
Scrape over Blues. They are 16th but really they are a great side! Dont worry.
Thrashed by Bombers. They are a great side playing incredible footy! Dont worry.

Meet the Saints new Media Manager. Most important job at the club.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We did it again! Lost by our exact average losing margin of 42 points. Only Brisbane has a worse losing margin average. The blows to our percentage has just about wrecked our finals chances. Port Adelaide in the weird crime capital next week. Strewth!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
noddy04
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:We did it again! Lost by our exact average losing margin of 42 points. Only Brisbane has a worse losing margin average. The blows to our percentage has just about wrecked our finals chances. Port Adelaide in the weird crime capital next week. Strewth!
What weird crimes are you talking about White Winmar?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

noddy04 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:We did it again! Lost by our exact average losing margin of 42 points. Only Brisbane has a worse losing margin average. The blows to our percentage has just about wrecked our finals chances. Port Adelaide in the weird crime capital next week. Strewth!
Google "Snowtown"
and Adelaide is apparently a hotbed of paedos, there's lots of high ranking cops and judges
who used to kidnap and rape kids, and they covered up for each other.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

i dont know about you guys, but ill be happy to keep the margin below 70 points next week. finger crossed

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I am confident in 1 thing after tonight. Richo wont coach our next premiership side as we are light years away from competing at that level again.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:i dont know about you guys, but ill be happy to keep the margin below 70 points next week. finger crossed
Soap on a rope time!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Proph3t of egan wrote:i dont know about you guys, but ill be happy to keep the margin below 70 points next week. finger crossed
Soap on a rope time!

In red white and black from 73
noddy04
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
noddy04 wrote:
Google "Snowtown"
and Adelaide is apparently a hotbed of paedos, there's lots of high ranking cops and judges

Actually i was asking WW the question. So welland NO other city or state has weird crimes? No paedos in Perth or melbourne. No corruption in the Police and Judicary ranks in Perth or melbourne? Must be 2 great towns if their isnt.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:I am confident in 1 thing after tonight. Richo wont coach our next premiership side as we are light years away from competing at that level again.
:oops:
Going on past performances our next premiership coach may not have been born yet!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

noddy04 wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
noddy04 wrote:
Google "Snowtown"

Actually i was asking WW the question. So welland NO other city or state has weird crimes? No paedos in Perth or melbourne. No corruption in the Police and Judicary ranks in Perth or melbourne? Must be 2 great towns if their isnt.
The Beaumont children, the "Family" abductions, rapes and murders, Snowtown, children abducted from the Adelaide Oval in 1965, the Coppers taking homosexuals for "swimming" lessons in the Torrens, resulting in a Adelaide academic drowning, the gypsy cult frauds. I could go on. Salman Rushdie famously said, when opening a writing festival in Adelaide, back in the 80's, "Adelaide is a weird gothic town, and towns like this are prone to weird gothic type crimes." He was never asked back, not surprisingly.

No reflection on the ordinary citizens of Adelaide, noddy04, but amongst non SA detectives the reputation was always that Adelaide had stranger aspects to their crimes than the other capitals. No shortage of bad guys elsewhere, just that Adelaide major crimes had an unusual "edge". Many rumours circulate even today about corrupt coppers, judiciary and pollies being involved in weird practices, pedophilia and satanic cults. There are still 5 members of the "family", who've never been apprehended, even though their identities are well known. The one in the group who was convicted, Bevan Spencer Von Einem, has always been too terrified to testify against his Co-offenders, who allegedly have senior members of the judiciary, bent coppers, doctors and senior public servants in their ranks.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!